Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options
1484950515254»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Can anyone recommend a 4ply yarn that has no wool content and is not a single colour?
    I am addled searching on line.
    There are beautiful multicoloured sock yarns, advertised as 4 ply but they are all 60%plus pure wool. If I wore woollen socks I'd have the skin torn off my legs!
    I'm looking to make colourful sweaters for a toddler, in 4 ply rather than DK and any blend as long as there is no wool in the mix.
    Thank you

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a 4ply yarn that has no wool content and is not a single colour?
    There are beautiful multicoloured sock yarns, advertised as 4 ply but they are all 60%plus pure wool. If I wore woollen socks I'd have the skin torn off my legs!
    I'm looking to make colourful sweaters for a toddler, in 4 ply rather than DK and any blend as long as there is no wool in the mix.
    Thank you

Cotton?

https://thisisknit.ie/collections/yarn/products/cotton-soft-bio

If you search yarn shops online you can usually filter by fibre

Hmm. Good call. thank you
    I must try it and see. I don't think it drapes much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,077 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Hmm. Good call. thank you
    I must try it and see. I don't think it drapes much though.

Try this site or ring them , they are very helpful

https://www.springwools.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

Winnies Wool Wagon, both online and in Blackrock have a great selection, especially in the Drops range, as already said you can search by fibre and weight. Sounds like you need an acrylic yarn that washes easily for children so check the care instructions as well. With Brexit looming, it affects much of the online options in the UK but still worth looking at if they continue to supply to Ireland. My favourite site is the Wool Warehouse, lovely selection and all the accessories as well but I haven't checked them out yet for 2021. Hope you find what you're looking for.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your advice. I think I need to contact them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Gormal

Thank you

Curious to know if you are allergic to wool, as in the itchy scratchy kind or all. I can't bear raw wool at all, but the superwash wool is fine.

Anyway

Sirdar Snuggly Baby Crofter 4 ply 55% Nylon 45% Acrylic
    Scheejes Frosted Whirl 5% Lurex 57% Cotton 38% Acrylic
    Rico Cotton Dégradé 50% Cotton 50% Acrylic
    King Cole Big Value Baby 4 Ply Print 100% Acrylic

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    Sorry ' I missed part of this

Springwools have an excellent yarns page on their website. If you choose DK and scroll down there are some of the stripey/speckled yarns at a reasonable price. eg King Cole Vogue, Splash and a cotton Quatro.

You could also match a match a plain yarn with a flecked and do the borders in plain

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

who wants melange type effect or "speckles" but all that type of wool seems to be quite expensive? I've no interest in buying €70 worth of wool for him!

It can't be itchy either which is why I tend to stay away from pure acrylics, but at this point my head is wrecked looking at wool online and I am open to all suggestions!!

Pattern says I'll need about 1200m of wool; it is this pattern if you are interested: - https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-montrealer

Designer's wool suggestions are way too expensive.

Thank you for reading!
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Any knitters or fibre peeps enjoying virtual knitting groups? I take part in one that I really enjoy, have tried others but so far only one that I really enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

em_cat wrote: »
    Any knitters or fibre peeps enjoying virtual knitting groups? I take part in one that I really enjoy, have tried others but so far only one that I really enjoy.

Not a group as such but I follow the crochet crowd on Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I’m also in Facebook groups & watch some knitting/crochet/ fibre utube podcasts, I miss the social gatherings of our knit group and worry they will go the wayside if you will...

I don’t really like zooming, as I’m not particularly confident with the etiquette. I know that sounds odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

em_cat wrote: »
    I’m also in Facebook groups & watch some knitting/crochet/ fibre utube podcasts, I miss the social gatherings of our knit group and worry they will go the wayside if you will...

I don’t really like zooming, as I’m not particularly confident with the etiquette. I know that sounds odd.

Not at all! I would not know where to start or how to connect were I to want to,

For me knitting is always a peaceful and solitary occupation. Like of the stereotypical irish images of the old wan sitting by the turf fire, knitting in hand,. And watching youtube etc to keep my hands busy.

We do not know when it will all be sorted here; just enjoy what you can? I joined" ravelry" online and they are a great support and great company of skilled crafters world wide. Maybe have a look at that?

Advertisement