Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭veggie newbie

My pattern says to cast off # of stitches at the beginning of the next 6 rows. I'm knitting a cardigan and the cast off is to shape the shoulders. Do I try to keep knitting the pattern, which includes cable stitches, while casting off? Or do I just knit plain/garter stitch while casting off and then resume pattern once required # of stitches are cast off? Thanks for any advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My pattern says to cast off # of stitches at the beginning of the next 6 rows. I'm knitting a cardigan and the cast off is to shape the shoulders. Do I try to keep knitting the pattern, which includes cable stitches, while casting off? Or do I just knit plain/garter stitch while casting off and then resume pattern once required # of stitches are cast off? Thanks for any advice.

It's down to personal taste really.
    Casting off and reducing stitiches in general is going to mess with the pattern. I used to try keep in pattern, but where there were cables, this usually meant one side had an extra row and sometimes an extra twist in the cable and would look funny to me, so in that case I would just use plain on the cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Has anyone here got Jean greenhowe Christmas booklet with the nativity scene pattern that would sell to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

Has anyone here got Jean greenhowe Christmas booklet with the nativity scene pattern that would sell to me?

I just have one that's full of teddy bears so can't help there but Amazon have some, this link includes a nativity scene which looks lovely, maybe it's the one you're looking for? There's quite a choice on Amazon of both new and used, some say they don't ship to Ireland but for now, there's Parcel Motel.

If you have a parcel motel account you will qualify for UK delivery rates plus €3.95 for Parcel Motel. Maybe check the postage charge to Ireland first and compare. I hope this helps

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1873193076/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aralk

Hi, I’ve just taken up knitting & the pattern says
    Row 6 k2, [m1, k4] 5 times,

While I get that
    Row 6 = Row 6 of the pattern
    K2 = knit 2
    M1 = make 1
    K4 = knit 4

I don’t understand what it all means together.
    Knit 2 rows of what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

K2 = knit 2 stitches.

So altogether for Row 6 you
    knit two stitches then,
    make 1 stitch, knit 4 sts,
    make 1 st , knit 4 sts,
    make 1st and knit 4 sts,
    make 1 st and knit 4 sts
    then make 1 st and knit 4 stitches.

Thats that row done. You will have 27 stitches on the needle at the end of that row, whereas you only had 22 before you started row 6.

Row 6 k2, [m1, k4] 5 times
    Row 6: knit 2 stitches first, then you (make 1 - your pattern will explain how to do this- and then knit 4 stitches) 5 times...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Aralk wrote: »
    Hi, I’ve just taken up knitting & the pattern says
    Row 6 k2, [m1, k4] 5 times,

While I get that
    Row 6 = Row 6 of the pattern
    K2 = knit 2
    M1 = make 1
    K4 = knit 4

I don’t understand what it all means together.
    Knit 2 rows of what?
    Knit 2 is talking about the type of knit, i.e. in this case "knit". It probably sounds confusing as you expect them to say to knit 2 stitches in purl, or knit 2 stitches in "knit" or something to that effect. As "knit" is the type of stitch, you do 2 of those... and posters above have well explained how to follow the patterns. You probably already know how to do knit and purl, so I don't wanna sound condescending... just hope it's a handy explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Hope I am not asking a question thats been answered before (cant read the whole thread).

Anyone know of good website for FREE patterns? Am looking for chunky vest / gilet pattern, but have spent an hour so far googling, and sites that say they have free patterns either dont have them for what I want, or patterns are buried deep in site (or require me to register first....and still no assurance that they will actually have the pattern)

Arrrgh....just fed up of searching!

Please & thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Hope I am not asking a question thats been answered before (cant read the whole thread).

Anyone know of good website for FREE patterns? Am looking for chunky vest / gilet pattern, but have spent an hour so far googling, and sites that say they have free patterns either dont have them for what I want, or patterns are buried deep in site (or require me to register first....and still no assurance that they will actually have the pattern)

Arrrgh....just fed up of searching!

Please & thanks in advance...
    my favourite site is
    https://www.garnstudio.com/

or else ravelry.

• Advertisement

ooh, haven't seen grarnstudio, will try it sometime. I've always used Ravelry. You do need to set up an account but it's free to use the site and you can narrow down search criteria by Free or price as well. I find its pattern collection really vast, can find almost anything there

Here's a link to Allfreeknitting.com where I've found some good patterns in the past. Garnstudio is also good, as the others have said. Just wish I didn't keep finding their free patterns for sale by others here and there, doesn't seem fair but there you go. Hope you find something you like on Allfree, seem to be 4 pages of patterns so good luck :)

https://www.allfreeknitting.com/Knit-Vests

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mrsmiawallace6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Thats great info. Thanks everyone .

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns
    You can get free patterns here, I've done some of their stuff and I've never had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 immusic

Has anyone here knitted the Aldi kit winter jumper? If you have, would you be able to help me figure the pattern out. I have gotten as far as the top of the front of the jumper (the end of page 1 of the pattern) but I'm completely stumped by the next part, basically the whole of page 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

what does it say? And do you have any more info on the pattern. I think I can see some of the patterns but I don't know if I can see the one you have

• Registered Users Posts: 38 immusic

mmg0305 wrote: »
    what does it say? And do you have any more info on the pattern. I think I can see some of the patterns but I don't know if I can see the one you have

Thank you for the reply. After much hair pulling, I think I may actually have figured it out, but I won't be able to try it until later today.
    I have gotten to the top of the front, which has a cable pattern panel, and I was totally confused by how they described starting to shape the neckline. I'll give it another go tonight, and if I'm still stuck, I'll get back to you with more info. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Has anyone every completed one of the Aldi crochet toys with just material included. I just getting around to making the dragon but ran out of stuffing before I had body filled and now will run out of main colour without having arms or tail made

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hey guys and gals

I've always had a desire to get into some form of craft, and I love seeing wools and stuff in shops. I've been browsing some cool looking things online as well that I'd love to get up the ability to try.

But i don't really know what I need to start off. Needle and wool, yeah, obviously. But no clue what sort of "starter kit" to be looking for to test out if knitting is for me.

Anyone any suggestions for a basic starter kit that would let me test out if I enjoy knitting? Like...how much wool, what sort of needles, where should I get them, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Fitzet68

Hi,

I've actually replied three times now to your post and hopefully this time will be the charm!

Local yarn shops can be a good place to start looking for advice and lessons when you are a beginner knitter but some staff can be snippy and a bit dismissive when you are not sure what you are looking for. My local shop is like that and I never recommend it. This is a common complaint and not just in Ireland - I don't know why it is this way. If you are based in Dublin I would recommend 'This is Knit' in the Powerscourt centre or 'The Constant Knitter' in Francis Street. They are both at the high end and will sell you good quality materials and tools. Winnies out in Booterstown is very friendly also.

Really all you need to start is a 100g ball of yarn that you like and some needles. I usually recommend Double Knitting (this is a weight/thickness of yarn also called DK) as it is not too thick and not too thin and 4mm or 5mm needles. Probably wooden needles as they won't be too slippy and frustrating when starting.

I know that a lot of people think 'scarf' when starting to knit but it can be a very long and endless type of project so I would start with small projects such as a dishcloth/washcloth, fingerless mitts or a cowl. You want something that you can start, knit and cast off and then get going on the next thing. You will find the more you knit the easier it gets and you will want to leave those early projects behind pretty quick!

For tutorials look for Very Pink Knits. Just google her. She has lots of very good online tutorials and she is my 'Go To' when I want to learn a new technique. They are very clear.

For patterns look at Ravelry dot com. (I cannot post links). This is an online community of knitters and a repository for a vast collection of free and paid for patterns. You will definitely find something you like there. You need to register to access it but they don't spam you and every knitter I know uses it.

I really hope you enjoy getting started on knitting! If you have any other questions please shout.

I agree that a scarf is a terrible first project, unless you've the patience of a saint. I gave up a few rows in. However, if you can make little squares, like if you were going to make a cushion cover, it'll be less daunting. There are tons of tutorials on youtube or if you search online, which guide you through the whole process of cast-on, knit/purl stitch basics and how to finish off. All you need is just some wool and needles in the right size to match. There's no need for a kit, unless you want to get a selection of needles, different weight yarn, and a bag for it. It would be pointless though if you don't enjoy it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I've heard people say a hat is a great first project, and I kind of agree. Unless it's ginormous it'll fit someone, you learn knit and purl, and decreases, and you can do it in the round or straight. Ravelry's down atm, but I'll post my favourite starter hat then.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭haveabadday

Hello knitters,, looking for some help please?? Have been trying to work out front of this jumper so many times, almost gave up.
    No matter how many times I try it not working out so I think I am reading pattern wrong!
    Attaching instructions and pic,, if someone can put into simple English I would appreciate it, as had this on needles for two years! :rolleyes:

Mod note: Edited size of text and moved to relevant thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

Which bit don't you understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When you get to the neck edge you knit 18 stitches then cast off four with another ball of wool. Then continue to the end of the row with the same wool. Then knit back in the usual way on the next row till you get to the 'gap'. Leave down the wool you have been using and pick up the wool you abandoned on the previous row and use that to knit to the end. Continue doing two pieces of knitting with two separate balls of wool on the same needles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Could any recommend an online shop to buy wool from please? I've seen a few posts with people suggesting ebay but are there particular sellers that are recommended? I'm looking for super chunky for a start.
    I'm a beginner knitter and went into local shop today looking to buy some wool. Patronising isn't the word for it so I'm spending my money somewhere else!

Vetch wrote: »
    Could any recommend an online shop to buy wool from please? I've seen a few posts with people suggesting ebay but are there particular sellers that are recommended? I'm looking for super chunky for a start.
    I'm a beginner knitter and went into local shop today looking to buy some wool. Patronising isn't the word for it so I'm spending my money somewhere else!

I know what you mean, sigh, a bit like the "flat white" ad which is almost enough to put me off coffee shops for life!!! I just hope you don't let someone like that spoil your enjoyment because knitting is a brilliant hobby, if you can just keep the cat from helping!

Anyway, I buy all my wool online these days, mostly from Wool Warehouse in the UK, great selection, decent prices and delivery charges (I use Parcel Motel) so I don't feel one bit guilty for shopping online when you see what you're offered here. Deramores and Love Knitting are also good and I also buy online from Winnies Woolwagon and Springwools but only an odd time if I'm stuck. I have bought wool on Ebay but it's a transient experience if you know what I mean and can be hard to get enough of what you want.

I hope this helps and happy knitting to you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

janmaree wrote: »
    I know what you mean, sigh, a bit like the "flat white" ad which is almost enough to put me off coffee shops for life!!! I just hope you don't let someone like that spoil your enjoyment because knitting is a brilliant hobby, if you can just keep the cat from helping!

Anyway, I buy all my wool online these days, mostly from Wool Warehouse in the UK, great selection, decent prices and delivery charges (I use Parcel Motel) so I don't feel one bit guilty for shopping online when you see what you're offered here. Deramores and Love Knitting are also good and I also buy online from Winnies Woolwagon and Springwools but only an odd time if I'm stuck. I have bought wool on Ebay but it's a transient experience if you know what I mean and can be hard to get enough of what you want.

I hope this helps and happy knitting to you :)

Thank you so much for this. Wow - amazing selection on the Wool Warehouse site. No, I won't be letting someone in a shop spoil my enjoyment. I'm almost glad now as the selection online is so much better. I don't know why anyone in business acts like this though. All they're doing is losing business for themselves. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Ive used these sites:
    http://www.lanagrossa-store.com
    https://store.winniethewoolwagon.com
    http://www.springwools.com
    http://www.theconstantknitter.ie
    Lana Grossa was lovely for chunky wools. I usually go for merino or merino blends, so it's never really cheap to get them..

Advertisement