Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I second Wool Warehouse - huge selection and very reasonable postage (I just get it posted to my door as its a drive to my closest Parcel Motel, and I don't drive myself).
    Loveknitting is superb if you're able to wait on the yarn as there are almost always discount codes and sales floating about. I sell online, so Wool Warehouse suits better for deadlines as I usually have the yarn within 3 working days of ordering, as opposed to Loveknitting which could be 7-10 working days.

I've unfortunately never come across an Irish site with half the selection of either of the two above - I've ordered off Sean's Wool Cabin once but his website doesn't indicate what is currently in stock - I was left waiting a VERY long week for an order I needed in a hurry and when it came, one of the balls were missing as it wasn't in stock :( A lot of the Irish ones might have the brand I want, but not the weight, or they'll have the weight but not the colour and I don't have time to see if they can "order it in" for me. I've heard good things about Vibes and Scribes and they seem to have an alright mix of acrylics and indie-dyed yarns!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Second for Vibes and Scribes, I order cones from there and it's very professional and delivery to your door within 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mandandpeter

Hi,

I am looking to start knitting, I know nothing apart from a few videos I watched online, I have tried to look to see if there is a shop in my area that I can go to, to ask for advice etc but there is not one so everything I have to learn is from online articles and videos, I understand that Bamboo needles might be a good starter needle, with medium diameter and the length not known so would need to buy a range and try them, using a medium wool/yarn. Again this is just going what I have seen online, does this sound right? I have no idea lol Also where would I buy stuff? I have looked on Amazon but not sure that is the best place for what I need and quality.

Any help and advice will be much appreciated lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Hi,

I am looking to start knitting, I know nothing apart from a few videos I watched online, I have tried to look to see if there is a shop in my area that I can go to, to ask for advice etc but there is not one so everything I have to learn is from online articles and videos, I understand that Bamboo needles might be a good starter needle, with medium diameter and the length not known so would need to buy a range and try them, using a medium wool/yarn. Again this is just going what I have seen online, does this sound right? I have no idea lol Also where would I buy stuff? I have looked on Amazon but not sure that is the best place for what I need and quality.

Any help and advice will be much appreciated lol

Dont know if you are near Derry or Buncrana but you will find all the supplies you want there as well as all the info you need on needles ect

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mandandpeter

lulu1 wrote: »
    Dont know if you are near Derry or Buncrana but you will find all the supplies you want there as well as all the info you need on needles ect

Well We live near letterkenny, but no car so my partner has to rely on public transport to get to places (I myself do not leave the flat (Long story)). Buncrana is out of the question and Derry is a little far to go if just going for knitting supplies, lol but thanks anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Aldi does starter kits quite often so I'd keep an eye out for that. As for the length of needle, it depends on what project you wanna start first. if you want to try doing little squares or swatches, then 20cm should do you. Go for 30 though if you want to knit a hat flat and then sew it closed.
    Get wool online if Aldi is not an option, there were lots of link posted in this thread for places to get nice wool, but I wouldn't spend too much on it before you know you're sticking to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Is there a knitting group in your area? They are in the Library here in Cork County.
    They will get you started.There's often spare wool and needles and you will get help.
    This is the Macroom and Dunmanway get together.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Well We live near letterkenny, but no car so my partner has to rely on public transport to get to places (I myself do not leave the flat (Long story)). Buncrana is out of the question and Derry is a little far to go if just going for knitting supplies, lol but thanks anyway. :)

Ravelry is a good place to start you can browse the patterns by most popular and even check the skill levels so you don't start anything too complicated at the start. They are a mix of patterns so make sure to select free in the left hand side search category. Once you've seen a pattern you like it will tell you what size needle and yarn to use.
    Everything is on YouTube re specific stitches etc.
    If your circumstances change you might find a knitting group in your local library that you coukd go to (Or if not. Set one up yourself). They are great for hooking up with other crafters and getting inspiration.
    I will pm one of the easiest patterns I have come across.
    Also facebook is great for directing you towards local groups and supplies. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Hi, looking for a little advice about blocking a knit. I'm just finishing this baby cardigan, https://mariannaslazydaisydays.blogspot.com/2015/11/roma-baby-cardigan-jacket.html, which I've knitted in this yarn, https://knitrowan.com/en/yarns/baby-merino-silk-dk.

Should I block it and how do I do it please? The only blocking I've done was by passing a steam iron over a dry garment - would this be an okay method? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Springwools in Dublin do an excellent mail order service. I have used them for years and always understanding and very fast and a wonderful selection

https://springwools.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

Vetch wrote: »
    Hi, looking for a little advice about blocking a knit. I'm just finishing this baby cardigan, https://mariannaslazydaisydays.blogspot.com/2015/11/roma-baby-cardigan-jacket.html, which I've knitted in this yarn, https://knitrowan.com/en/yarns/baby-merino-silk-dk.

Should I block it and how do I do it please? The only blocking I've done was by passing a steam iron over a dry garment - would this be an okay method? Thanks.

Sweet little cardigan, looks so tiny compared to the horse blanket of a jacket that I'm knitting at the moment! They say the yarn is machine washable so it will take a bit of tough treatment but I wouldn't use the iron on it. If you can lay it out on something like a folded bath towel and gently cover it with a damp towel that has been well wrung out, being careful not to move the garment, you can leave it all to dry naturally. That way it should come out looking pressed without having to apply any heat. I've tried lots of methods but I find this to be the best these days. Sometimes I wet the top towel in a weak solution of fabric softener first, it helps to freshen up the item if it doesn't actually need washing. (I get a lot of help from pets and sometimes things need a quick wash - especially if it's a gift!) Hope this helps.

P.S. I should have mentioned that if you're going to use pins to block it, make sure that they're rust proof - I learned the hard way and I don't want you to as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

janmaree wrote: »
    Sweet little cardigan, looks so tiny compared to the horse blanket of a jacket that I'm knitting at the moment! They say the yarn is machine washable so it will take a bit of tough treatment but I wouldn't use the iron on it. If you can lay it out on something like a folded bath towel and gently cover it with a damp towel that has been well wrung out, being careful not to move the garment, you can leave it all to dry naturally. That way it should come out looking pressed without having to apply any heat. I've tried lots of methods but I find this to be the best these days. Sometimes I wet the top towel in a weak solution of fabric softener first, it helps to freshen up the item if it doesn't actually need washing. (I get a lot of help from pets and sometimes things need a quick wash - especially if it's a gift!) Hope this helps.

P.S. I should have mentioned that if you're going to use pins to block it, make sure that they're rust proof - I learned the hard way and I don't want you to as well!

Perfect thanks, I'll give that a go. Thanks also for the tip about the pins. I think I would literally weep if I pulled the towel back and saw rust! I'm only learning about knitting and I ripped this three times before finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

Vetch wrote: »
    Perfect thanks, I'll give that a go. Thanks also for the tip about the pins. I think I would literally weep if I pulled the towel back and saw rust! I'm only learning about knitting and I ripped this three times before finishing.

I'm afraid the learning curve involves lots of U-turns, it goes with the territory, well it does with me anyway! I just finished a man-size aran sweater myself; the back went well but I forgot to divide for the neck on the front and ended up doing two backs! I had to rip back as far as the armhole decrease because it was a complicated pattern and I couldn't identify what row I should be on. We didn't need electricity in our house that night, I generated enough juice to light those bulbs from swearing alone!!! It just happens if we get interrupted or the mind wanders and we learn a little more each time. Hope you're really happy when it's all done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hi,

I understand that Bamboo needles might be a good starter needle, with medium diameter and the length not known so would need to buy a range and try them, using a medium wool/yarn.

When you find some yarn you like, look on the label and if you have very good eyesight there will be a little diagram which tells you what size of knitting needles or crochet hook to use with the yarn, and a diagram to show how many stitches and rows you will get to (I think its) 10cm square. Saves a lot of guessing! 'Double (knitting yarn)' is a good 'medium' yarn to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pearl787

Recently taken up knitting and its going great, I'm really enjoying my new hobby. I did a good bit of knitting on Sunday and when I went to bed I noticed I had a cramp up and down my right arm and hand. Waking up the next day it was better but gradually came back as the day went on. I didn't do any knitting on Monday and today I started up again and the cramp is back. I feel so deflated now I'm going to have to give up if I'm getting pains in my arms from knitting.

I was hoping anyone here could give me some tips on how to decrease tension in the hands and prevent this pain?

Keep at it, but don't try and do too much at a time for the moment.
    Remind yourself to relax your hands and hold the needles and yarn gently - you knitting will be better for it.
    Put your knitting down maybe after each row or two, shake your fingers loose and massage your hands and arms for a moment.
    If you are knitting with fine needles (less than say a 6) try some chunky wool and bigger needles till you get used to it.
    If the stitches are tight on the needles then you need to relax your grip and loosen the tension of your wool.
    Most of all, don't worry, take your time and enjoy your knitting.

Sorry, my last post should have said size 4 needles rather than size 6, 6 is reasonably substantial. Head gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Just started knitting again after like a 20+ yrs hiatus, I forgot how cathartic it is...

em_cat wrote: »
    Just started knitting again after like a 20+ yrs hiatus, I forgot how cathartic it is...

Actually started knitting again yesterday too. Was never much good at it when I learned as a kid, my adult craft vice is actually crochet, but some things are just meant to be knit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Actually started knitting again yesterday too. Was never much good at it when I learned as a kid, my adult craft vice is actually crochet, but some things are just meant to be knit!

Can neither knit or crochet Useless

would love to crochet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

would love to crochet

You tube is your best friend if you really want to. I found Bella coco very good for the basics

would love to crochet

Grab your self some super chunky yarn and US 8 hooks or needles, start big and as you get better you can go tiny or super duper big like hand crochet.

HappyBerry is fantastic for learning crochet, I find her yarn scrap fridays great too.

My only hurdle is that I’m a lefty so when I’m stuck (in knit) I refer to Bill Souza yarn craft for lefties. Both are on YouTube.

Totally agree, I love crocheting tiny animals and creatures but much prefer to knit for hats & accessories. I stay away from lacing though, ‘‘tis my nemesis in all fibre arts ;{

Totally agree, I love crocheting tiny animals and creatures but much prefer to knit for hats & accessories. I stay away from lacing though, ‘‘tis my nemesis in all fibre arts ;{

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

I find crocheting faster and more forgiving, I love small projects for instant gratification but also love wearing my own creations! Currently have 3 projects on the go! Not alone is crocheting very relaxing, it's also very addictive!

now online wrote: »
    I find crocheting faster and more forgiving, I love small projects for instant gratification but also love wearing my own creations! Currently have 3 projects on the go! Not alone is crocheting very relaxing, it's also very addictive!

Crochet is definitely faster for sure! Only downside to it is it seems to use so much more yarn than knitting! But that's never stopped me! I started 5 years ago trying to replicate a newborn baby hat in DK from a video on YouTube that took me 3 days to get right. Now I can knock one out from memory in 20 minutes! I've done blankets, cushions, toys, plushies, clothing and accessories! But I will admit there is a pull to knitting. Some things just look better knitted!

I’m trying to knit my very first jumper for our freezing yorkie x aka Mr C. Felt terrible cause the sh*t* weather started the day after his Xmas haircut.

Been sat here for 2.5 hrs trying to use stupid dpns in the round...argh.

Don’t want to crochet it because I’m not too gone on the amount of xtra yarn I’d need.

em_cat wrote: »
    I’m trying to knit my very first jumper for our freezing yorkie x aka Mr C. Felt terrible cause the sh*t* weather started the day after his Xmas haircut.

Been sat here for 2.5 hrs trying to use stupid dpns in the round...argh.

Don’t want to crochet it because I’m not too gone on the amount of xtra yarn I’d need.

DPNs are the devil! Upgrading from one "needle" to two is hard enough without adding an extra 2 or 3 into the mix! :pac:

Would you try a knitted flat pattern and then use crochet to seam it all together?

DPNs are the devil! Upgrading from one "needle" to two is hard enough without adding an extra 2 or 3 into the mix! :pac:

Would you try a knitted flat pattern and then use crochet to seam it all together?

That’s exactly what I’ve ended up doing after I stabbed my self several times with the dpns! I really like using dpns in the flat as I’ve no need to turn my work but I hate the seams, although I do a running stitch for the seam instead of a dc.

I do have some interchangeables in a 5mm but of course the yarn I’m using is so dark I can’t see it!

But so far I now have 8 rows ribbed for the polo neck part, Woop Woop:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Crochet is definitely faster for sure! Only downside to it is it seems to use so much more yarn than knitting! But that's never stopped me! I started 5 years ago trying to replicate a newborn baby hat in DK from a video on YouTube that took me 3 days to get right. Now I can knock one out from memory in 20 minutes! I've done blankets, cushions, toys, plushies, clothing and accessories! But I will admit there is a pull to knitting. Some things just look better knitted!

Knitting somehow is more flexible? Shaping wise?

For me the great drawback to crochet is that I cannot crochet and read at the same time, whereas I CAN and do knit at speed and read etc. I knit constantly ./ a nervous tic!

Advertisement