Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huawei P20/P20 Pro

• 27-03-2018 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭

Well, after an.. interesting launch.. the p20 and p20 pro are here!

Full list of specs:
    • PROCESSOR
    • Huawei Kirin 970
    • Octa-core CPU (2.36 GHz + 1.8 GHz)
    • Mali-G72 MP12 GPU
    • SCREEN SIZE
    • 5.8 inches LCD, 2240 x 1080 pixels (428 ppi), 18.7:9 aspect ratio - P20
    • 6.1 inches OLED, 2240 x 1080 pixels (407 ppi), 18.7:9 aspect ratio - P20 Pro
    • MEMORY
    • 4GB RAM - P20
    • 6GB RAM - P20 Pro
    • STORAGE
    • 128GB internal, no microSD slot
    • CAMERA/S
    • Dual rear: 12MP RGB + 20MP Monochrome, f/1.8 + f/1.6 aperture, Leica optics - P20
    • Triple rear: 40MP RGB + 20MP Monochrome + 8MP Telephoto, f/1.8 + f/1.6 + f/2.4, Leica optics - P20 Pro
    • Front: 24MP
    • BATTERY
    • 3400 mAh - P20
    • 4000 mAh - P20 Pro
    • MATERIALS
    • Glass body
    • IP53 water and dust resistant - P20
    • IP67 water and dust resistant - P20 Pro
    • OPERATING SYSTEM
    • Android 8.1 Oreo with EMUI 8.1

Huawei P20 4GB/128GB = €649
    Huawei P20 Pro 6GB/128GB = €899
    Porsche Design Huawei Mate RS 6GB/256GB = €1695 6GB/512GB = €2095

Looks like it will be available from Vodafone, Eir and 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

LTE CAT18 apparently. If your operator pushes 3/4CA+MIMO then the downlink bandwidth is potentially supermassive.

Still not a huge fan of HiSilicon though, they've always been 3rd class citizens compared to QC and MTK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hoping one of the networks actually stock the Pro - it's the one I'm most interested in ,
    Have the P9 but didn't bother with P10 as it seems only an incremental update ,
    Definitely excited for 3 cameras and seeing what they can do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

I have the p9 as well and I'm due an upgrade...will see what the reviews say.

The p9 was alright. A bit buggy in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Updated the OP with the prices!

Only thing that puts me off the Huawei devices really is EMUI, tried it a few times and never liked it so will see how it is on the p20's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Using the P10 at moment, class phone, one of the best one's i've had i'd say.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Any idea when this will be in stores here?

Did I see it's the same chip as the p10/p10 pro?
    And the same battery?

So it's 2017 technology with a new camera system? Similar to Samsung with the s8/s9

I was doubting between the s9+ and the p10 pro untill I heard the p20 was due for release... I had really hoped for wireless charging on the p20 pro...

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Did I see it's the same chip as the p10/p10 pro?
    And the same battery?

So it's 2017 technology with a new camera system? Similar to Samsung with the s8/s9

Wrong.

ED E wrote: »
    Wrong.
    I did have question marks on the initial piece ...

I'm really torn between this and the s9+ so I'm open to correction but moreso to enlightenment ....

not being smart here ... really want to know the rights of it so I am able to make an informed choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I did have question marks on the initial piece ...

I'm really torn between this and the s9+ so I'm open to correction but moreso to enlightenment ....

not being smart here ... really want to know the rights of it so I am able to make an informed choice

It has the 970 Chipset, same as the Mate 10/Mate 10 pro. The P10/P10 plus has the 960.
    The 970 has the NPU for AI.

It has the 970 Chipset, same as the Mate 10/Mate 10 pro. The P10/P10 plus has the 960.
    The 970 has the NPU for AI.

my mistake ... Thats what I meant ... the mate 10 pro and the mate 20 pro ... are they a very similar device except for camera systems?

missus has the p10 .. its the mate 10 pro I was looking at untilI heard about the mate 20 pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I'm also between the s9+, p20 pro and the htc12 if I can hold out that long.:D

The p20 pro mainly due to camera and battery life, which Samsung is starting to get some bad reviewd on.

Does it not have an SD card if you do not go for the dual SIM?

Also, when are vodafone likely to start pre orders.

It's already on vodafone UK with free pair of Bose quite comfort 35.

I presume we will get similar offer here:o

my mistake ... Thats what I meant ... the mate 10 pro and the mate 20 pro ... are they a very similar device except for camera systems?

missus has the p10 .. its the mate 10 pro I was looking at untilI heard about the mate 20 pro

you mean the p20 pro? Theres no mate 20 pro

the 'when' and 'where' in ireland is what I'm interested in too ...

you mean the p20 pro? Theres no mate 20 pro

ok ... I start again ... I'm interested in top spec phone of the ones huawei released today :D

ok ... I start again ... I'm interested in top spec phone of the ones huawei released today :D

Ah so you mean the Porsche Design Huawei Mate RS that costs 1.5k minimum? Right... :p (Nah I know you mean the p20 pro lol).

I don't think any carriers here stocked the p10 plus last year, so hopefully they stock the p20 pro. (Not that I'd be getting one, dislike emui big time but nice to have more options!)

Ah so you mean the Porsche Design Huawei Mate RS that costs 1.5k minimum? Right... :p (Nah I know you mean the p20 pro lol).

I don't think any carriers here stocked the p10 plus last year, so hopefully they stock the p20 pro. (Not that I'd be getting one, dislike emui big time but nice to have more options!)

Why would you waste your money on 256GB when you can get 512GB for just a smidgin over 2k:D

Well my contract is up in 17days... So hopefully it becomes clear what will be available here

A little disappointed that they have omitted wireless charge but have included it in the Porsche edition

• Advertisement

3 had the P10 plus, IIRC it was €749 when I was looking at buying it.
    I'm not 100%, but I think Voda may have had it for a time also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Nice hardware but I still don't think id personally be able to see past emui.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Nice hardware but I still don't think id personally be able to see past emui.

Isn't that what Nova is for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭sioda

Patww79 wrote: »
    I have nova on a p10 lite no issues at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Researching this phone myself.

I came across this in Bargain Alerts.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057677268&page=50

https://huaweipromo.co.uk/gb/en/pages/p20bose/how-it-works

Pre ordering P20, gets you a pair of Bose QP35 MkII wireless Headphones. I have the Mark I pair atm, 300+euro. Incredible.

I'm very tempted by the phone now. Need a new one, and the headphones are fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭rednoggin

Yeah the Bose headphones are what is leaning me towards buying it. Someone said in the terms and conditions that its subject to availability. I'd be pretty peeved if I bought the phone and didn't get the headphones.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Isn't that what Nova is for?

Ya but that still won't help some system level functionality weirdness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Any idea why there is a physical home button on the fron of the P20 & Pro but not the Lite? I think the Lites design is nicer to the eye...

rizzee wrote: »
    Any idea why there is a physical home button on the fron of the P20 & Pro but not the Lite? I think the Lites design is nicer to the eye...

Because it is cheaper and simpler to put a Fingerprint scanner on the back, and the p20 Lite is cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Does the front fingerprint scanner also offer swipe gestures?

Horses for courses, but personally I prefer it on the front so I can quickly unlock it on my desk\table without reverting to lifting it or using alternative unlock mechanisms.

Available now to order on Vodafone with the free Headphones!!:eek:

The free headphones are for the first 50 Customers, so get you order in Quick:)

Black Version only available.

I have placed my order(only 49 sets of headphones left:cool:), as there is a 14 day cooling off period anyway.
    I don't think they are shipping until April 6th...Is that correct?

In this time I will decide if I really want this phone, Confirm I am getting the headphones or simply return for my money back so I can't lose:o

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/huawei-p20-pro-bill-pay-black

biebiebie wrote: »
    Does the front fingerprint scanner also offer swipe gestures?

Horses for courses, but personally I prefer it on the front so I can quickly unlock it on my desk\table without reverting to lifting it or using alternative unlock mechanisms.

The Nextbit Robin has the best IMO, built into power button on right edge - If you hold the phone in your left hand :)

ForestFire wrote: »

I have placed my order
    IMO buy retail, don't be locked into delayed OS updates from VF.

Do Huawei do direct sales in Ireland? Uk direct price is £849 for the pro but pre pay on Vodafone is €780.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    The Nextbit Robin has the best IMO, built into power button on right edge - If you hold the phone in your left hand :)
    I used to have the Sony Z5. It had it on the RHS also. Loved that placement too. It could be unlocked whilst lying flat quite easily.
    Anyway we digress... apologies... back to topic! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

€299 on eir with the bose headphones shipping on the 12th April ,
    Was kinda hoping for it to be cheaper considering voda are doing it for €49

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Do Huawei do direct sales in Ireland? Uk direct price is £849 for the pro but pre pay on Vodafone is €780.

https://www.amazon.de/Smartphone-interner-Speicher-Android-Exklusiv-Schwarz/dp/B07BLYYHL1/ref=sr_tr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522247195&sr=8-1&keywords=P20+Pro €899 Presale

Not out until April 6 so you may see a price correction then.

Gatling wrote: »
    €299 on eir with the bose headphones shipping on the 12th April ,
    Was kinda hoping for it to be cheaper considering voda are doing it for €49

That 49 is on the 80/month plan tho

Can I ask if pricing where the same on the p20 pro and the s9plus...

What are the features / reasons that have you choosing the p20 pro over an s9plus?

I'm curious as I just can not make up my mind and am intrigued on what is drawing other people to the Huawei...

I worry that once I buy I'll regret and wish I'd gotten the other one.

• Advertisement

Possibly the battery life on the P20 Pro will be superior to the S9+.

The P20 Pro has a bigger capacity battery to start.

Also the S9+ isn't receiving good reports on the battery life (may be fixed in future updates) .

I've also seen some initial comparisons of the camera between them and the iPhone X. The P20 seems to be superior to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

im very tempted by the pro, for me is the camera, i take a lot of pictures and record a lot of videos.
    Have been with samsung for a long time since S5, would be nice to change to a new brand and get something new but at the same time i know and trust samsung for its image quality, always good. So for that reason i fell the best choice is to buy is samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

camera comparison s9 vs p20pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8DeK2oafDU

interesting

Firstly I would say there is a big difference in price. It is 150euro for me on my upgrade with vodafone.

But despite being cheaper the main draws for me are-

Better battery :D
    More interesting camera:D
    AI features :)
    128gb vs 64g:D
    IR blaster:)
    FM radio:o
    FREE BOSE NOISE CANCEL BT HEADPHONES:eek:

Oh also it something different, I always had HTC before my current s7, so time to try something new again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

VERY tempted by this deal.

The headphones are 370€

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Anywhere to get this phone with the headphones and sim free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

s_carnage wrote:
    Anywhere to get this phone with the headphones and sim free?

You can if you were able to get them from the carphone Warehouse in the UK. There is also another few resellers there that have the same offer. Quick Google search will provide you with the other stores.

ldr wrote: »
    camera comparison s9 vs p20pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8DeK2oafDU

interesting
    Is it me or did the majority of s9 pics look sharper detailwise but the color on the p20 shots looked more natural?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I wonder when we will know if we have qualified for the headphones for VF. If says it's limited to the first 50 only, however when you order, if gives no indication of what order # you are (inside or outside the top 50...

• Advertisement
Advertisement