Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underpaid jobs

Options
  • 09-05-2017 8:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭

The other side of the coin. Who doesnt get enough dollar? I'll start the ball rolling with my own profession: Engineering. World literally cannot function without us. Relatively well compensated in some places. Just thrown on the pile of middle income mediocracy in the Irish idiocracy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Nurses. Full stop.
    It's incredible the difference they make to a person's life and the responsibility they have in critical situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

I was going to jokingly say 'mine' before I read the OP properly.

You've really started a thread about how you yourself don't get paid enough? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Analytical chemistry doesn't exactly pay top dollar (euro?) either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

My job

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Public interfacing public servants e.g. gardai nurses and teachers.

I'm in IT so obviously the IT sector should pay waaay more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Teachers and nurses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

VinLieger wrote: »
    Teachers and nurses

Yes and no.

Yes the younger are underpaid, and no the older are not. You got shafted. Bigtime. Talk to your unions and your colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Self employed. Work 80hours a week for 40 hours pay. It looks good from the outside but when you take off all the overheads and investing in tools etc you end up with very litle

Sosurface wrote: »
    The other side of the coin. Who doesnt get enough dollar? I'll start the ball rolling with my own profession: Engineering. World literally cannot function without us. Relatively well compensated in some places. Just thrown on the pile of middle income mediocracy in the Irish idiocracy.

Some disciplines can earn €600/day + on contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

myshirt wrote: »
    Yes and no.

Yes the younger are underpaid, and no the older are not. You got shafted. Bigtime. Talk to your unions and your colleagues.

Im not either, but thanks for making a bizarre assumption

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    I don't know. What do they pay in rent, etc. in those places too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Nurses. Full stop.
    It's incredible the difference they make to a person's life and the responsibility they have in critical situations.

Average pay for HSE nurses is about €55k - €60k. How much more do you think they should be paid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Gardai and nurses. Friend of mine is a SHO in a regional hospital and I was shocked at how little he told me he's paid considering the crazy hours he's expected to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Security jobs like bouncers ect.. very dangerous jobs, little backup, no weapons, not great pay, no training and usually security companies provide very little sympathy for employees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Augeo wrote: »
    Some disciplines can earn €600/day + on contract.
    And whats worse is they arent even engineers...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Hospitality staff (hotel workers, restaurants etc). A lot of places pay these people minimum wage or close to it. They work unsociable days/hours and get no compensation for it.

And to top it all off, you have members of the public giving them abuse half the time for things out of their control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Mechanics

And hairdressers.....some of them,that I know are on woeful money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Hospitality staff (hotel workers, restaurants etc). A lot of places pay these people minimum wage or close to it. They work unsociable days/hours and get no compensation for it.

And to top it all off, you have members of the public giving them abuse half the time for things out of their control.

Unskilled work (which this is) is always going to be in and around minimum wage. Sorry, that's the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Nurses. Full stop.

Nurses pay is pretty decent. I work with many and none are underpaid imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

HGV and bus drivers. Outside the semi states the wages for buses are barely above minimum and HGV driving doesn't even reach minimum wage.

Being responsible for 55 people or literally keeping the country running should pay more. Before even starting on how other road users treat large vehicles!

Sosurface wrote: »
    And whats worse is they arent even engineers...lol

I'm including commissioning folk, to be fair that's old fashioned engineering.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Average pay for HSE nurses is about €55k - €60k. How much more do you think they should be paid?

Ah, averages...

I think a fully trained nurse should start off on more than the cleaners and healthcare assistants on his/her ward.

Del2005 wrote: »

Being responsible for 55 people or literally keeping the country running should pay more. Before even starting on how other road users treat large vehicles!

Low skilled job, market sets the rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

carzony wrote: »
    Security jobs like bouncers ect.. very dangerous jobs, little backup, no weapons, not great pay, no training and usually security companies provide very little sympathy for employees.

Dunno about that, I was on €17 an hour when I was doing doorwork in college which beat the b*llocks off minimum wage in some coffee shop or whatever.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Anyone working behind a counter - shops, cafes, delis and that. Or who deal with people on a shop floor. Whatever they're being paid for dealing with people 8 hours a day is not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

FTA69 wrote: »
    Dunno about that, I was on €17 an hour when I was doing doorwork in college which beat the b*llocks off minimum wage in some coffee shop or whatever.

Most of it is just above minimum wage now though. Very hard job depending on the area your placed.

Also, that security license is a massive scam and provides no real help or support for the personnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Nurses would be the obvious one for me.

Also unskilled manual labour jobs.
    I've done my fairshare of those type of jobs.
    Definitely underpaid when compared to the amount of physical activity involved.
    Not to mention the overall treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Average pay for HSE nurses is about ?55k - ?60k. How much more do you think they should be paid?

https://www.inmo.ie/tempDocs/20160223121049_Salary%20Scales%20at%20the%201st%20January%202016.pdf

Payscale for a staff goes from 27k to 44k, level one manager goes to 51k. level 2 manager of which there is not going to be that many goes to 55k so I don't know where you are getting an average of 55k from, by all means correct me if you have sources.

My girlfriend who is a midwife got **** on by a smelly junkie the other day whilst delivering a baby. Now she loves her job as a midwife and yes knew what she was signing up to, (well a certain extent not to the level of being literally **** on) but that should not be used as an excuse to not pay a good salary to someone who is working a very hard professional job.

Teachers payscale is 28k to 60k, its not that bad considering they do get a lot of holidays, what the big issue there is people not getting full contracts.

Advertisement