Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are the best & the worst crisps?

• 19-10-2020 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

What are your favourite crisps and what are the ones you think are overrated or just plain awful? The most delicious crisps right now are Burts Vintage Cheddar and Spring Onion flavour, they leave Tayto Cheese & Onion in the shade. An honourable mention for Golden Wonder Sausage and Tomato flavour crisps - they're delicious.

The worst crisps I've ever tasted were Keogh's Truffle flavour crisps, awful flavour.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

For a crisp sandwich, has to be Tayto Cheese & Onion (with King C&O a close second)

For a nibble of an evening, any Keoghs ones (the beef stew ones, or whatever they're called, sound revolting but are DELICIOUS!).

Lidl and Aldi come out with some zinger gourmet flavours every now then, esp coming up to Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭furiousox

Manhattan cheese & onion.
    The crack cocaine of crisps.

cheese-onion-crisps-buy-online-150g-manhattan-crisps-265x265_c.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

Quite partial to Bistro salt and vinegar.

Cheese onion tayto for sandwich.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Walkers crisps are the worst, regardless of flavour.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

King's Cheese & Onion have been a fav of mine for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Don't know whats the best but Walkers are definitely the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

walkers salted red packet the best. any salt and vinegar the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

furiousox wrote: »

Where can you get these (apart from things they used to call "pubs"), have never had them before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

kp crunchies were, everyone going on about the second coming of banshee bones, they are nothing but a poor salt and vinegar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"lays" basically fake crisps and the worst thing about being on holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,629 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Soft prawn cocktails ones. Looked like little flowers. Loved them as a kid.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Best: Tayto Salt and Vinegar.

Honorable Mentions: Johnny's Onion Rings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What are your favourite crisps and what are the ones you think are overrated or just plain awful? The most delicious crisps right now are Burts Vintage Cheddar and Spring Onion flavour, they leave Tayto Cheese & Onion in the shade. An honourable mention for Golden Wonder Sausage and Tomato flavour crisps - they're delicious.

The worst crisps I've ever tasted were Keogh's Truffle flavour crisps, awful flavour.

Calling them a fancy name does not guarantee they are any good. They are Cheese and Onion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

King Cheese and Onion. Breakfast of champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Skeetur

Best: Tayto source cream and onion ripples

Worst: Wheelies. Everything about them is wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ó Donnells cheese and red onion crisps are unreal, can't get enough of them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

GreeBo wrote: »

WTF ?!?!

Walkers or Lays ready salted are the business. The proof they are popular is that most shops who sell them are almost always sold out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

best - Waffles
    Worst - the shight they sell in Spain, woeful phucking things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

furiousox wrote: »

This guy knows his crisps. Manhattan are a top class snack company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

King cheese and onion are great, also have to mention Aldi's which are cheap but also rather good.

Walker's are the worst that I can think of but there another UK brand with atrocious crisps that I can't think of the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Are they not the same brand as Walker's only a different name on the continent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Be thankful you're not stuck living over here (UK). Bloody Walkers everywhere -sweet chili Sensations are good, the standard crisps are muck. Gimme a packet of King or Tayto any day. . .actually it's getting to that time of the year when we order in a big box for xmas :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

pauliebdub wrote: »
    King cheese and onion are great, also have to mention Aldi's which are cheap but also rather good.

Walker's are the worst that I can think of but there another UK brand with atrocious crisps that I can't think of the name.

Golden Wonder? Their texture is alright but they're a bit stingy with the flavourings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Where can you get these (apart from things they used to call "pubs"), have never had them before.

You can buy boxes of them from the Manhattan website.

https://manhattan.ie/shop-online-popcorn-peanuts/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

currently obsessed with Thai Sweet Sensations - black bag, red design : often on sale for e2. OMG addictive.

Also Pringles Malaysian Curry. Hard to find buy OMG - you woiudn’t be bothering to get a take away they are just as good as the best take away!!! Not their Japanese Terriaki Duck flavour thou - too meaty and overpowering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

They are just walkers - but I always like trying out the random local flavours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

This guy knows his crisps. Manhattan are a top class snack company

Popcorn, sure, crisps, sh!te.

McCoys cheese and onion are the best for me and all salt and vinegar are the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Oven baked walkers are the best I've tried lately, hands down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I love hunky dorys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I cannot, for the life of me, understand people's love of Manhattan. They are flavourless (the C&O anyway, never had any of the others).

And at the same time, people complaining about Walker's? The Sensations Thai Sweet Chilli are definitely the best crisp.

dotsman wrote: »
    I cannot, for the life of me, understand people's love of Manhattan. They are flavourless (the C&O anyway, never had any of the others).

And at the same time, people complaining about Walker's? The Sensations Thai Sweet Chilli are definitely the best crisp.

Whether you like the flavour or not, nobody could rightly describe Manhattan C&O as flavourless. I’ve never had a bag that wasn’t seriously strong compared to most other brands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I do love the Irish crisps but I do feel like the Brits have us beat on that one. Taytos and Hunky Dory's are wonderful but they can't compete with the likes of Piper, Tyrrells and Kettle. I like my crisps and don't think I've ever had a bad pack that wasn't stale.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭budgie412

Keoghs crinkle cut sea salt and balsamic vinegar, and Walkers Max jalapeno cheese. Nearly always polish off a sharing pack of these in 1 go every time

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Keoghs cheese & onion.

As close to crisp perfection as possible. :pac:

Worst? Pringles is down there in my book - dusty and the flavors are sub-par.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

KP Mini Chips are amazing which is weird as I don't like regular S&V stuff.

Chipsticks. Sensational stuff.

Lot of crap about, but hard to say what's worst if I don't like something, I don't go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seabrooks Crisps are the best you can buy just yum. Everything else is just horrible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Peanuts

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

I bought myself a bag of truffle flavoured crisps in Lidl/Aldi a couple of years ago.
    The fetid stench that punched me in the face on opening the bag was just indescribable. It was unnatural, like an alien's fart.

Into the bin. Never again.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Best - it's hard to beat Tayto or Hunky Dorys cheese and onion really. Keogh's C&O were incredible when they first appeared, but I'm convinced they changed something about them as they just aren't anywhere near as good any more.

Worst - sour cream and onion anything. Who the fcuk decided that was a flavour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

https://manhattan.ie/product/crisps-cheese-onion-best-cheese-onions-crisps-world/

Nom Nom...

Seriously delicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

dotsman wrote: »

LOL.

Maybe you had a dose of covid when you were eating the Manhattan as they are strong on flavor.

As for walkers sensations - advertising standards should go after them for false advertising.

Or maybe different people have different tastes :D

Anyone for marmite crisps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

WTF ?!?!

Walkers or Lays ready salted are the business. The proof they are popular is that most shops who sell them are almost always sold out.

Could be that they are one of the largest companies in the world? Tayto beat them hands down. Lays/Walkers are reconstituted muck same as Pringles.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

Zaph wrote: »
    Keogh's C&O were incredible when they first appeared, but I'm convinced they changed something about them as they just aren't anywhere near as good any more.

Same thing happened to Tayto Cheese & Onion. In the last few years they've completely changed the recipe. Where the Tayto C&O of 10 years ago were more full bodied and extremely moreish, the crisps that exist now are brittle and not so savoury. The flavouring is also completely different. Tayto C&O and King C&O are the same crisps, only in different packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Sorolla

NSAman wrote: »
    Could be that they are one of the largest companies in the world? Tayto beat them hands down. Lays/Walkers are reconstituted muck same as Pringles.

You know being the first one is not always best.

When the iPhone one came out a lot of people waited until the iPhone X came out and it was worth the wait.

You cannot beat an auld Pringle - I’m awful parshalled to the sour cream and onion

Whenever I am going up to Dublin on the train I like nothing better than a tube of sour cream and onion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭con747

Tesco Finest Barbecue Beef Crisps 150G are the best I have had in a long time for flavour. Tayto was never the same after the Germans bought it fully in 2015, still nice but hit and miss. I'll be trying the rest of Tesco's finest to see if they live up to the bbq beef.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Best - old snax

Worst - new snax

Catch the criminal !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭Dynomutt

I often see them in SuperValu. However, they always seem to be placed on the bottom shelf out of clear sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Banshee Bones are god tier, I’ve become hooked on them since they came back.

The worst by far are those ones you get in Lidl with like 50 packs in a bag, Snackbrite or something. A microsecond of something that very vaguely tastes of the flavour it claims to be, then nothing but a bland 3rd rate crisp to chew on.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

Sam Spuds Smokey bacon flavour

• Advertisement
Advertisement