Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to make people resit driving test after a period of time?

Options
  • 31-01-2018 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

This is something that I have been thinking about for a while and just haven't had the time to pull off the numbers and analyze them.

Basically I think everyone should have to resit the driving test after say 10years of initially passing it and then ever 5 years from 65-80 and after that on a yearly basis.

The data I need is age profile for crashes, cliams and deaths, as I believe I think there is a direct link with elderly drivers.

With Shane Ross's militant view on drink drivers I think this is the next natural step. The below cases got me thinking of it today.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-84-did-uturn-at-toll-plaza-and-drove-3km-the-wrong-way-on-motorway-before-being-killed-36551795.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Always though you should have to do a re-sit every decade, if your car needs a regular test you the driver certainly do! The evidence is to be seen every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Should do. Older people are awful drivers I find, as a rule. Shouldn't be driving on the road like they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

A theory test at very least, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Do any countries do this? Surely most crashes are caused by people doing things they know damn well not to do and that any learner driver would know is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

No doubt would turn into a money making racket if done, any other countries doing it and it improving the road safety figures? Simple enough to pass a test on the day anyway and people would go back to habits then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

With these new licences they require you to go along to the NDLS they should have required everyone to do a theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Would it really make a difference tho ? After someone passes their test they will just go back to their old ways

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Would it really make a difference tho ? After someone passes their test they will just go back to their old ways
    I suppose the idea is that a percentage wouldn't pass it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Yes, we should repeat the test. The only thing that puts me off is the lack of governance and fairness in the testing at the moment. A lot of kids getting f#cked over. Just smells of a money spinning scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They could start with drunk drivers, those convicted of speeding and other traffic offences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

OP I suggest you wait until you have time to analyse the figures and get back to us then.
    It's an interesting subject and deserves to be discussed using facts rather than speculation.

myshirt wrote: »
    Yes, we should repeat the test. The only thing that puts me off is the lack of governance and fairness in the testing at the moment. A lot of kids getting f#cked over. Just smells of a money spinning scam.

It was never any different.

There is absolutely huge money in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Certainly you should be made repeat the theory test every 10 years.
    Consequences of failing that is you then have to sit the driving test again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

There is absolutely huge money in it.

In my plan it wouldn't be a money think. It'd just be a nominal fee if any.

My main concern now is that you need a doctor's note, that's a lot of responsibility to place on the doctor and it could ruin a 40yr relationship and isolate the client from the doctor. So I think it needs to be a complete outsider.

elperello wrote: »
    OP I suggest you wait until you have time to analyse the figures and get back to us then.
    It's an interesting subject and deserves to be discussed using facts rather than speculation.

Yeah, I have annual leave in the next month so will do it then.

Only thing is I'd imagine the figures I'll find are massaged. I. E gardai more likely to use discretion with that age group or people not go to insurance companies for little dinks and just settled amongst themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    This is something that I have been thinking about for a while and just haven't had the time to pull off the numbers and analyze them.

Basically I think everyone should have to resit the driving test after say 10years of initially passing it and then ever 5 years from 65-80 and after that on a yearly basis.

The data I need is age profile for crashes, cliams and deaths, as I believe I think there is a direct link with elderly drivers.

With Shane Ross's militant view on drink drivers I think this is the next natural step. The below cases got me thinking of it today.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-84-did-uturn-at-toll-plaza-and-drove-3km-the-wrong-way-on-motorway-before-being-killed-36551795.html

One accident does not make for a thesis. I think you may well find your assumptions are incorrect.
    The Road Safety Authority said its statistics showed “elderly drivers were not over-represented in crash statistics” and were probably among the safest groups of drivers.

Justin Moran, of Age Action Ireland, said elderly drivers were generally safer with regard to not drink driving and not speeding. They were not over-represented in crashes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/judge-s-remarks-on-elderly-drivers-wrong-and-ageist-1.3136659

Remember older drivers must already undergo regular medical to ensure fitness to drive. I know of three older drivers in this locality who did not have their fitness to drive signed off due to ongoing medical issues.

gozunda wrote: »
    One accident does not make for a thesis. I think you may well find your assumptions are incorrect.

Remember older drivers must already undergo regular medical to ensure fitness to drive.

I'm happy to correct that at a later date, I've already covered off that I feel their personal GP is way too close to be making that decision.

Also I'll take age action quotes with a pinch of salt when the topic of removing some of them from the road is being discussed.

I'm happy to correct that at a later date, I've already covered off that I feel their personal GP is way too close to be making that decision.

But that assertion would only be correct if the data showed there was an eminently higher number of OAPs involved in crashes.

From the other persons link the RSA refutes that.
    So why fix what nots broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

A friend of my son just applied for his driving test completed all his lessons, got a date, June!
    if we all had to resit a test be it 10yrs, the backlog, they wouldn't cope.

• Advertisement

As stated above Doctors do put people off the road - often due to ongoing medical issues.

What about the RSA statement? Are you ignoring that? Perhaps you should contact them for more detailed figures to test yor assumptions. However their statement appears fairly unequivocal imo.

Be careful not to introduce bias into the study through assumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Only if they aint gonna fail 50% for the fun of it so NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Get out.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    But that assertion would only be correct if the data showed there was an eminently higher number of OAPs involved in crashes.

From the other persons link the RSA refutes that.
    So why fix what nots broken.

First Stat, in 2016&2017 (combined) people over the age of 65 account for the largest portion of road deaths 77 out of 344

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I dont think resitting the driving test even yearly would change driving manners in this country

First Stat, in 2016&2017 (combined) people over the age of 65 account for the largest portion of road deaths 77 out of 344

Does not necessarilly mean that age group were at fault just because they died.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Do you have a full license?

What are the other stats and relevant age percentiles?

Link to source data please...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,671 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In my plan it wouldn't be a money think. It'd just be a nominal fee if any.

My main concern now is that you need a doctor's note, that's a lot of responsibility to place on the doctor and it could ruin a 40yr relationship and isolate the client from the doctor. So I think it needs to be a complete outsider.

I find it strange that you are anxious to have drivers' practical competence and theoretical knowledge be made subject to ongoing scrutiny, while putting so little weight on their medical fitness to drive.

Doctors have to follow the rules, and if that annoys a client then just too bad. People who are medically unfit to drive should be put off the road.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Sla%CC%81inte%20Agus%20Tioma%CC%81int%202017%20i.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Fann Linn wrote: »
    They could start with drunk drivers, those convicted of speeding and other traffic offences.

That are banned from driving yet get behind the wheel anyway

I'd love to see a law that if your off the road and caught driving, you serve the remainder of the ban in jail. If you can't resist the temptation, take it away

• Advertisement

Another statistic, the most common time for a driver to be killed on the roads is between 12-4pm. Personally I would've thought this would've been midnight and 4 am with drink driving g.

Also I would say 12-4pm is the most common time for elderly drivers to be on the road.

Advertisement