Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to make people resit driving test after a period of time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

That are banned from driving yet get behind the wheel anyway

I'd love to see a law that if your off the road and caught driving, you serve the remainder of the ban in jail. If you can't resist the temptation, take it away

And take the car also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I find it strange that you are anxious to have drivers' practical competence and theoretical knowledge be made subject to ongoing scrutiny, while putting so little weight on their medical fitness to drive.

Doctors have to follow the rules, and if that annoys a client then just too bad. People who are medically unfit to drive should be put off the road.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Sla%CC%81inte%20Agus%20Tioma%CC%81int%202017%20i.pdf

Because I find it hard to believe that a doctor wouldnt be willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt of it meant them being housebound with no social outlet or ability to function.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Dev84 wrote: »
    Do you have a full license?

Well do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Because I find it hard to believe that a doctor wouldnt be willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt of it meant them being housebound with no social outlet or ability to function.

So if they were only half blind they would get a pass?

gozunda wrote: »
    What are the other stats and relevant age percentiles?

Link to source data please...

Provisional review of fatal collisions 01.01.17 to 31.12.17

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's a bad idea. No one would pass their retest:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Another statistic, the most common time for a driver to be killed on the roads is between 12-4pm. Personally I would've thought this would've been midnight and 4 am with drink driving g.

Also I would say 12-4pm is the most common time for elderly drivers to be on the road.

Ok and again - source please of the above statistic.

When you say ...
    Also I would say 12-4pm is the most common time for elderly drivers to be on the road.

From this ^^^: you appear to be introducing bias into your assumptions regarding elderly drivers.

You obviously don't have much faith in doctors. They have been known to declare people unfit to travel, to work, to have kids, to adopt, and other life changing occurances.

What makes ye think they cannot make other unpopular decisions?

So if they were only half blind they would get a pass?

Take the example from the case I linked in the op.

His doctor treated him with medication for memory loss and didn't think to yank the license.

gozunda wrote: »
    Ok and again - source please of the above statistic.

Once again you appear to be introducing bias into your assumptions regarding elderly drivers.

I've already told you where I've get these numbers from.

I'll play with the figures some more when I've real time.

• Advertisement

The usual practice when introducing facts and figures is to include a source and link to same. Thanks

ANXIOUS

Do you have a full license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Another statistic, the most common time for a driver to be killed on the roads is between 12-4pm. Personally I would've thought this would've been midnight and 4 am with drink driving g.

You seem to 'would say' an awful lot. All speculation with no basis in fact but a big dose of preconceived bias.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You obviously don't have much faith in doctors. They have been known to declare people unfit to travel, to work, to have kids, to adopt, and other life changing occurances.

What makes ye think they cannot make other unpopular decisions?

I've just emailed Shane Ross requesting those numbers.

You seem to 'would say' an awful lot. All speculation with no basis in fact but a big dose of preconceived bias.

In your opinion when do you think it's most likely the 65+ age group are on the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

ANXIOUS wrote:

Ah, FFS. Your just making stuff up now

Ah, FFS. Your just making stuff up now

That's me giving an opinion Hensel I kept it away from the other statement.

ANXIOUS

I see whats going on. You dont have your license . You have more than likely failed your test on a number of sittings and are bitter so what to punish us who worked hard to get our test.

In your opinion when do you think it's most likely the 65+ age group are on the road?

Totally irrelevant - that information cannot be reliably obtained through canvassing random posters or from your own preconceived ideas.

The age of the deceased is pointless. Something like 12% will be children under 16, so will you maintain they were driving? Elderly people may well be killed more in accidents (I think it's something like 33% over 60 and 33% for under 30s) but cause of the accident is the only true message. Insurance companies are usually quite up to par on these things and are not loading the premiums on middle aged to elderly drivers.

• Advertisement

With the exception of teen drivers, seniors have the highest crash death rate per mile driven, even though they drive fewer miles than younger people.

Although Americans are healthier and living longer than ever before, seniors are outliving their ability to drive safely by an average of 7 to 10 years. Most older drivers recognize and avoid situations where their limitations put them at risk. They drive less after dark, during rush hour or in bad weather, and avoid difficult roads such as highways and intersections.
    https://seniordriving.aaa.com/resources-family-friends/conversations-about-driving/facts-research/

ANXIOUS wrote:

When they need to go somewhere

The age of the deceased is pointless. Something like 12% will be children under 16, so will you maintain they were driving? Elderly people may well be killed more in accidents (I think it's something like 33% over 60 and 33% for under 30s) but cause of the accident is the only true message. Insurance companies are usually quite up to par on these things and are not loading the premiums on middle aged to elderly drivers.

That's incorrect they break it down to drivers, passengers, other road users.

I've linked to some stuff from America. Very interesting reading.

You want me to guess as well? Ok, I'm about more than you during the day I'd imagine and I'd say, with as much merit or scientific strength as your own assumptions, that it's 9 to 11 am for mass, daily paper, library, doctor etc.
    But it's still proof of nothing if they are the victims of road accidents and nt the cause.

When they need to go somewhere

Yes which generally wouldn't be work so you can take out rush hours, or nightclubing so you can take out late nights and wee morning. And what are you left with...

It's fine that if I had of replaced elderly drivers with drink drivers I'd have got a 100 thanks and thread would have been dead after a page.

It's fine that if I had of replaced elderly drivers with drink drivers I'd have got a 100 thanks and thread would have been dead after a page.

At least the elderly got their full license.

Yes which generally wouldn't be work so you can take out rush hours, or nightclubing so you can take out late nights and wee morning. And what are you left with...

Plenty of OAPs quite partial to nights at the theatre, cinema, restaurant etc. Not everyone goes to bed with cocoa at 10.00.

ANXIOUS wrote:

I would guess anywhere between 9 and 6.

• Advertisement

That's incorrect they break it down to drivers, passengers, other road users.

I've linked to some stuff from America. Very interesting reading.

You don't drive do you?

They still don't detail it by cause, do they? No.

Again, will you maintain under 16 year olds in the stats were driving and responsible for the accident?

America has no bearing whatsoever. It is the least acceptable country to compare with for motoring issues.

I'll ask again, as you have ignored others asking the same question.
    How long have you held a full driving licence.

Edit. And I'll ask you another question you are ignoring, Do you ting Insurance Companies have got it wrong with their premiums??

Advertisement