Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flu vaccine

Options

Comments

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Pretty sure everyone realised there'd be an increased demand after the great TP and pasta shortage earlier in the year.
    The frustrating bit is how all of these appointments were outright cancelled due to the pharmacist being out today at that location, and instead of just pushing everyone out a day, all of today's bookings were just outright cancelled and we're all back to the back of the queue. That's the frustrating bit.

It makes no sense cancelling the entire days appointments and I think they’re telling you a yarn.

IF, the pharmacist was out today they would still have the stock sitting there from all today’s appointments. Because you’ve been pushed to the end of the line, I don’t think they had the vaccines for you. Otherwise, they would have just added a few appointments over the coming days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

FFS got the kids done last night, only 2 days notice with the GP bit no such luck with the adult version.

Booked appointment for me in mid August, has been pushed out a few times and just got a text saying my appointment is cancelled and they will refund me as HSE saying to only give to high risk.

Has anyone not in high risk been able to easily get it?

Normally get a voucher through work but this year they decided not to do it due to thr increased demand....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I had an appointment for early November (earliest I could get), the pharmacy just told me that it's been cancelled and only people at risk will get it. Before booking it a while ago I found it hard to even get an appointment for people not in a risk group. Bit frustrated with this, surely they knew that a lot more people would want it this year. I usually get the vaccine every year after I had a bad case of it some years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

miezekatze wrote: »
    I had an appointment for early November (earliest I could get), the pharmacy just told me that it's been cancelled and only people at risk will get it. Before booking it a while ago I found it hard to even get an appointment for people not in a risk group. Bit frustrated with this, surely they knew that a lot more people would want it this year. I usually get the vaccine every year after I had a bad case of it some years ago.

Same, get it every year (the vaccine). 2 years ago I got the flu and I was so sick, had no energy at all (the fatigue lasted another 4 weeks after the other symptoms had disappeared), I hurt all over, got a secondary chest infection so bad I had to sleep in a sitting position for 2 weeks as I couldn't breathe at all lying down... That was the mild version of the flu.. I'm petrified of catching the full dose! This is the reason I want the vaccine this year, but my bad reaction to flu still doesn't qualify me as 'at risk' because I'm young and relatively fit and healthy overall

Pretty sure everyone realised there'd be an increased demand after the great TP and pasta shortage earlier in the year.
    The frustrating bit is how all of these appointments were outright cancelled due to the pharmacist being out today at that location, and instead of just pushing everyone out a day, all of today's bookings were just outright cancelled and we're all back to the back of the queue. That's the frustrating bit.

That's very frustrating but commonplace practice in general, to save days/weeks of bookings being pushed a day or so ahead. Happened when I had a gas boiler service booked through Bord Gais, they phoned me to say technician was out sick and if have to make another phone call to rebook.

• Advertisement

FFS got the kids done last night, only 2 days notice with the GP bit no such luck with the adult version.

Booked appointment for me in mid August, has been pushed out a few times and just got a text saying my appointment is cancelled and they will refund me as HSE saying to only give to high risk.

Has anyone not in high risk been able to easily get it?

Normally get a voucher through work but this year they decided not to do it due to thr increased demand....

It's funny how they are vaccinating all the kids as they believe they are the biggest spreaders, yet they believe they play no role in spreading of Covid.

ktsul wrote: »
    Just got my flu jab yesterday, I get it every year. I get the pneumonia vaccine every 5 years as prescribed by my rheumatologist. The flu jab is like being punched in the arm afterwards, no other symptoms for me. After the pneumonia vaccine 4 years ago I felt quite out of sorts for about 2 days (fatigue, no appetite, temperature) interesting to see next year will I have the same side effects....

For me, personally speaking, I have found the pneumococcal not to prevent bacterial pneumonia, for which I was hospitalised-and treated for presumed pneumococcus multi-lobe pneumonia. Was on biologic Humira plus Imuran at the time so in spite of vaccination it took hold. It is still wise to get it nonetheless, as no doubt it reduces the risk in many.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Got mine on Monday, I’m 17weeks pregnant so I made sure to get it. After the awful flu I got last year I’m more than happy to get the vaccine! Especially now with a fugitive on board :pac:

McCabes by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

McCabes by any chance?

Yep!

• Advertisement

Yep!

Same as me so.

Am on waiting list with GP now, they are hoping to have more stock for adults by the end of the month - am not hopeful TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I have an appointment with McCabe's in mid November, the only appointment I can get. I'm very concerned now. I have ended up in hospital with flu a few times. I would usually be vaccinated by now! Last night I cancelled my elderly mother's appointment as she got it from her gp unexpectedly when there for something else, despite being told repeatedly they wouldn't have the stock to offer her an appointment. The cancellation confirmation email and text very worryingly had a spiel about how THEY were sorry to cancel the appointment as the HSE had told them to due to lack of stock. It does not look good for my appointment. I have underlying conditions (had to cocoon for covid), and she lives with me so this is a huge concern.

Arlessienne, perhaps give your public health nurse a call. Would they know you and your mum? They can flag it with your GP and hopefully you’ll be moved up the list.

Even if they don’t know you, I’d definitely give them a call

• Registered Users Posts: 21,138 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think some supplies came in this week, Wed/Thurs but not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Getting mine at 12.30 . Gp/ nurse. Kids were due to get it in school , but god knows when that will happen now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,138 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Article in local paper sais supplies were being given only to the vulnerable.

I have an appointment with McCabe's in mid November, the only appointment I can get. I'm very concerned now. I have ended up in hospital with flu a few times. I would usually be vaccinated by now! Last night I cancelled my elderly mother's appointment as she got it from her gp unexpectedly when there for something else, despite being told repeatedly they wouldn't have the stock to offer her an appointment. The cancellation confirmation email and text very worryingly had a spiel about how THEY were sorry to cancel the appointment as the HSE had told them to due to lack of stock. It does not look good for my appointment. I have underlying conditions (had to cocoon for covid), and she lives with me so this is a huge concern.

On ALL counts you are a priority and should not have been at the back of any queue. Your GP doesn't sound to be getting their priorities right.... mine wouldn't always be the best either. I'd make a bit of a fuss, awful to have to do it, but you ARE actually proven to be very vulnerable to Influenza, not just potentially so. Go on every pharmacy list you can get on too, but of course cancel all others once you gave the vaccine secured for yourself. You needed to be among those in the very front of the queue.

McCabes by any chance?

Yep, them.. today they emailed to say I'm outright cancelled, won't let me rebook as I don't qualify as high risk despite having lungs that are extremely prone to infection with even a small sniffle (grew up in smoking household, my lungs have never been great, despite being very active).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Cancelled for mid Nov by McCabes today. So frustrating! My gp has put me on his list, but says he has to prioritise high risk medical card patients especially elderly, and he doesn't have enough stock.

Cancelled for mid Nov by McCabes today. So frustrating! My gp has put me on his list, but says he has to prioritise high risk medical card patients especially elderly, and he doesn't have enough stock.

Yeah, that's what I'm being told too : high risk with medical card.
    So high risk with no medical card (ie private health insurance) are being told sorry, nothing for you ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,074 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My husbands appointment for Wednesday just cancelled by the pharmacy . In vulnerable group no medical card

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jt69er

billyhead wrote: »
    Just wondering do you feel sick after getting it or is that a myth?

Myself & 2 kids got it last week, no issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭POBox19

Got my Flu jab on Saturday In Magner’s Killester. I had booked it about 10 days earlier. No after effects or discomfort from the shot. Super service.

Yeah, that's what I'm being told too : high risk with medical card.
    So high risk with no medical card (ie private health insurance) are being told sorry, nothing for you ...

With regard to two-tier medicine prolly often don't realise that it can work against those NOT on medical cards. An example I give you; after being discharged from an emergency abdominal surgery at a public hospital I developed a post-op infection which required daily dressing of the wound by a nurse. The hospital had re-incised and drained the surgical wound and were adamant it needed daily cleansing and redressing by a nurse for several weeks, but because I had not got a medical card I was ineligible to have it attended by the public health nurse. Instead I had to get myself to the GP's nurse, daily, and of course, pay for that. That was not easy as I was living alone and u fit to drive as I was on morphine, and not really fit to be on public transport with an open draining wound.

It's not something that ever seems to get discussed on the airwaves for some reason, but the two-tier medical system can work both ways. I'm not a bit surprised to hear about this unfairness regarding those at risk, without medical cards, who need the vaccine, and the same sh1t will go on, little doubt when, hopefully, we get a Covid vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Got mine done in Boots Bray today, all very professional. Little more tired than I was expecting on a run a few hours afterwards but do not know if that's anything to do with the shot to be fair. Don't have a medical card or recall being asked if I had.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭antimatterx

My brother works in a cancer department and he can't get a flu vaccine for love nor money.

It'd a requirement by the hospital, but they're allowing people who can't get it, to work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My brother works in a cancer department and he can't get a flu vaccine for love nor money.

It'd a requirement by the hospital, but they're allowing people who can't get it, to work anyway.

Boots are giving them free of charge to at risk groups, which includes healthcare workers, if there is one anywhere near him I'd recommend he books an appointment online There was a two week wait in the three Boots stores I checked before booking, but once it's done they are reliable. Haven't seen any reports of them cancelling appointments like others have reported here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Got mine this morning LTI scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I got mine on Saturday. I thought nothing of it till I realised I was lucky. They’re restricting it for under 65’s as stocks are low.

• Advertisement

Not impressed with McCabes, firstly they keep moving my appointment then cancel it and then I have to chase them for my refund. Still don't have it.

Advertisement