Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flu vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

https://mobile.twitter.com/Eastcorkclinsoc/status/1320352686890430469

Very concerning to see gps facing decisions like this. Not enough stock even for the over 65s. My own gp says the same. How could they not foresee this spike in demand?
    did they delete that tweet?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Due to the lockdowns, I believe I don't need it this year. Haven't been sick since April when we started WFH, and used to get sick at least once a month. To me, proof that it's work environments that make me sick, especially in call centre type places. I used to get right annoyed when someone with a slight cold or sniffles came into the office. I can hand on heart say that it was people like that were the cause for me getting sick.

So all going well I won't need it. The parents got it a few weeks back and no one has been sick in months in this house. It's great tbh, so I'd prefer if I was allocated a dose that it would go to the OAPs and frontline staff first.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Can i ask you why the nasal spray is not suitable if living with some immuno compromised ?

Apparently it's a "live" vaccine, so for the couple of days after it's administered, you "could" infect someone who had a severely compromised immune system (ie someone who is undergoing chemo) It would only be an issue if you actually lived with the person and had close contact. In my case, my toddler would simply not understand that she couldn't cuddle with the family member in question, and it wouldn't have been possible to isolate them.

The injectable vaccine is a "dead" vaccine so no risk of getting anyone else sick. At least that's as much as I understand it. The nurse in my GPs office was very helpful when I rang to query it and when we were in getting the shots she was really good explaining to the kids that why they had to have the needle even though school friends were getting the nasal spray.

There's more info here: https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/flu-vaccination/flu-vaccine-for-children/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A frontline workers but have never gotten it. Never will. I don't even get head colds. And have tested negative in every covid test.
    I'd prefer the flu vaccine goes to someone who might need it.

And no point in ruining a winning formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Work in a hospital. I got it last year for the first time, got it again this year. We get a free pen, a bottle of water and a voucher for a coffee, how could I say no?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Toots wrote: »
    Apparently it's a "live" vaccine, so for the couple of days after it's administered, you "could" infect someone who had a severely compromised immune system (ie someone who is undergoing chemo) It would only be an issue if you actually lived with the person and had close contact. In my case, my toddler would simply not understand that she couldn't cuddle with the family member in question, and it wouldn't have been possible to isolate them.

Does that in theory mean if a kid gets the nasal vaccine other family members might get the vaccine for free... so to speak?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The injectable vaccine is a "dead" vaccine so no risk of getting anyone else sick. At least that's as much as I understand it. The nurse in my GPs office was very helpful when I rang to query it and when we were in getting the shots she was really good explaining to the kids that why they had to have the needle even though school friends were getting the nasal spray.

There's more info here: https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/flu-vaccination/flu-vaccine-for-children/

Thank you for the information . If the person the toddler was living with already had the flu vaccine 3 weeks ago would it then be still and issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

A frontline workers but have never gotten it. Never will. I don't even get head colds. And have tested negative in every covid test.
    I'd prefer the flu vaccine goes to someone who might need it.

As far as I understand it - you being vacinated helps protect those who you care for.

Frontline staff are also possiblely at higher risk of getting influenza in such a setting due to numbers of likley infections

And that's the main reasons why frontline staff are considered to be one of the priority groups

Appreciate what you say about your health but imo no one is invincible.

Atm looks like vacine availability is the biggest issue tbf.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Does that in theory mean if a kid gets the nasal vaccine other family members might get the vaccine for free... so to speak?

Erm... Im not sure what you mean? Like the kid couldn't pass the vaccine to them but they might give them the flu, if they were severely immunocompromised.

Thank you for the information . If the person the toddler was living with already had the flu vaccine 3 weeks ago would it then be still and issue ?

I honestly don't know. It would depend if the person in question had developed the required immunity to the strain of flu in the vaccine I suppose. I think that would be a question for your GP. In my case the entire household was vaccinated on the same day so I don't know how it would work if the person was already vaccinated.

Incidentally, I have quite a headstrong toddler and I think the needle was the easier option for her. There's no way she'd have let someone near her with the nose spray whereas with the needle she was just slightly confused why her trousers were being pulled down and then screamed when the needle went in, then fecked off 2 seconds later not a bother on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

did they delete that tweet? what did it say?

Yes, looks like they have since deleted. It was a gp posting a letter from the HSE stating that they were to only vaccinate elderly and front line health care workers, then move on to pregnant women and anyone with one of the listed underlying conditions only of they had vaccine stock left. The tweeter put figures on their dilemma of how many at risk patients they wouldn't be able to vaccinate - it was something like 800+ in the elderly category alone, and only 150 or so vaccine doses left.

• Advertisement

Erm... Im not sure what you mean? Like the kid couldn't pass the vaccine to them but they might give them the flu, if they were severely immunocompromised.

It's a live attenuated version of the virus, so the kid could shed that as viral load - what happens if a person with regular immune system is exposed to that... I am just curious as to whether that person would get infected with the attenuated strain. Which for that person would in effect be just like a vacccine dose.

I honestly don't know. It would depend if the person in question had developed the required immunity to the strain of flu in the vaccine I suppose. I think that would be a question for your GP. In my case the entire household was vaccinated on the same day so I don't know how it would work if the person was already vaccinated.

Incidentally, I have quite a headstrong toddler and I think the needle was the easier option for her. There's no way she'd have let someone near her with the nose spray whereas with the needle she was just slightly confused why her trousers were being pulled down and then screamed when the needle went in, then fecked off 2 seconds later not a bother on her.

Thanks for the message .I checked with the pharmacist who checked on the HSE guidlines and said it would only apply if the toddlers family member was on chemotherepy or had a bone marrow transplant .Or was in the very severe catagory of immuno suppressed

It's a live attenuated version of the virus, so the kid could shed that as viral load - what happens if a person with regular immune system is exposed to that... I am just curious as to whether that person would get infected with the attenuated strain. Which for that person would in effect be just like a vacccine dose.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/flu-vaccination/flu-vaccine-for-children/

Who should not get the nasal flu vaccine
    Your child should not get the vaccine if they:

have had a severe allergic reaction to a previous dose of the flu vaccine or any of its ingredients
    have severe asthma or if they have been wheezy or needed their inhaler more than usual in the 3 days before the vaccination
    are taking medicines called salicylates, which include aspirin
    have a severely weakened immune system because of certain medical conditions or treatments
    are living with someone who has a severely weakened immune system - for example, a person who has to live in insolation in the months following a bone marrow transplant
    have a condition which means they have a leak of the CSF (the fluid that surrounds the brain and spinal cord)

Vaccinated children can shed the weakened virus in the vaccine for a few days after vaccination but the virus does not survive for long outside the body. The weakened virus doesn’t cause disease, either in the person being vaccinated or in other people.

Since the vaccine was first licensed, there have been no reported cases of influenza passed from vaccinated children to their families or to their close contacts, including those who are pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I got it a week ago as my system is not great and if i get slightly wet sore throat and more to follow.
    Interesting buy as i got the nasal spray by Vicks " First line of defense " and very happy as if i get the feeling of sore throat a few sprays up my nose and it never develops further.Stay safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I got it a few weeks ago, as usually I’m in contact with someone who is immune compromised due to a history of chemo, although during the level 5 I’m unlikely to be.

Anyway, other than a mildly sore arm and a slight reaction to it for 24 hours (just a bit generally achy) I don’t find I’ve noticed it at all.

Certainly isn’t a big enough inconvenience not to get it.

I’d suspect, with the social distancing, hand and surfaces hygiene and masks - it’s very likely the flu virus won’t have much of a chance of spreading this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

Got it yesterday from my GP. 30 weeks pregnant,booked it 4 weeks ago and yesterday was the earliest they could schedule me in. Usually get it every year anyway as asthmatic but if I wasn't pregnant this year I probably wouldn't have bothered to allow someone who needs it more to get it. Also looking at Australia and the S Hemisphere their flu season was non existent this year due our new behaviours thanks to covid.

Arm a bit sore and had a banging headache for a few hours after it but today I feel fine.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/flu-vaccination/flu-vaccine-for-children/
    Vaccinated children can shed the weakened virus in the vaccine for a few days after vaccination but the virus does not survive for long outside the body. The weakened virus doesn’t cause disease, either in the person being vaccinated or in other people. Since the vaccine was first licensed, there have been no reported cases of influenza passed from vaccinated children to their families or to their close contacts, including those who are pregnant.

Thanks for the info... I found some more info on the CDC site as to why it doesn't survive for long outside the body:
    The weakened viruses are cold-adapted, which means they are designed to only multiply at the cooler temperatures found within the nose, and not the lungs or other areas where warmer temperatures exist.

I'm still confused though, if the weakened virus doesn't cause disease, how is it a risk to "someone who has a severely weakened immune system"?
    There must be some theoretical risk that the 'hobbled' virus could still be shed and infect someone - whether will full blown influenza or some attenuated version is unclear.

It seems to be a case of the precautionary principle, because according to this:
    In the US, where there has been extensive use of LAIV for many years, serious illness amongst immunocompromised contacts who are inadvertently exposed to vaccine virus has never been observed.
    http://www.oxfordahsn.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/PHE-factsheet-for-HCW-andheadteachers-on-LAIV-concerns-about-viral-shedding.pdf

It still doesn't directly answer the question - because what they would be exposed to isn't the full blown influenza but the attenuated version.

Frankie19 wrote: »
    Got it yesterday from my GP. 30 weeks pregnant,booked it 4 weeks ago and yesterday was the earliest they could schedule me in. Usually get it every year anyway as asthmatic but if I wasn't pregnant this year I probably wouldn't have bothered to allow someone who needs it more to get it. Also looking at Australia and the S Hemisphere their flu season was non existent this year due our new behaviours thanks to covid.
    Arm a bit sore and had a banging headache for a few hours after it but today I feel fine.

Australia has some restrictive quarantines in place. So how much of the reduction is flu is due to that versus the day to day restrictions is hard to say at this stage.

I usually find it's a good idea not to plan any big for the days after the flu vaccine, to be able to take it easy if a bit under the weather from it. Easier now that we're in lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,283 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If it was being done for free then yes I would get it but it costs me €50 to visit the doc so unless I really need to go there I try to see them as little as possible.

It should be free but as usual taxpayers are entitled to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Is your local chemist not doing it for you as i get mine done by them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

If it was being done for free then yes I would get it but it costs me €50 to visit the doc so unless I really need to go there I try to see them as little as possible.

Pharmacies are doing it cheaper, only issue is most are only giving to those in the at risk group, or kids.

I paid €25 to a pharmacy before appointment was cancelled due to lack of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

Its usually a nurse in your GP clinic that gives it.....not your GP. You are charged 25euro and not a full gp visit fee as you don't see a doctor.

There might be cheaper options as a few of you have suggested but I still say it should be free for everyone, there seems to be hundreds of millions available to send to corrupt countries overseas instead of spending it on the health needs of the people here.

There might be cheaper options as a few of you have suggested but I still say it should be free for everyone, there seems to be hundreds of millions available to send to corrupt countries overseas instead of spending it on the health needs of the people here.

An extra pharmacist has to rostered to cover the shop while one does the vaccines . €25 is not a lot to pay for that

An extra pharmacist has to rostered to cover the shop while one does the vaccines . €25 is not a lot to pay for that

It is when money is tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I take immunosuppressing medicine for an autoimmune disease yet I can't seem to get an appointment to have the flu jab anywhere, not my GP or local pharmacies.
    My fit and healthy husband however got the flu jab in work along with about 100 others curtesy of his job.
    Not sure how a private company can purchase that many vaccinations but GPS and pharmacies can't get the stock.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I take immunosuppressing medicine for an autoimmune disease yet I can't seem to get an appointment to have the flu jab anywhere, not my GP or local pharmacies.
    My fit and healthy husband however got the flu jab in work along with about 100 others curtesy of his job.
    Not sure how a private company can purchase that many vaccinations but GPS and pharmacies can't get the stock.

Interesting.
    Laya have provided free vaccinations in my workplace last few years as we have corporate plan with them.
    This year we were told there was a shortage and to try make own arrangements. We could claim back the cost as a business expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Interesting.
    Laya have provided free vaccinations in my workplace last few years as we have corporate plan with them.
    This year we were told there was a shortage and to try make own arrangements. We could claim back the cost as a business expense.

This is the first year his job has offered their employees the flu jab.
    Just frustrating trying to source it for me and my kids, I would have thought the more vulnerable would have been made a priority and then they would have worked their way down to the less vulnerable :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Frankie19 wrote: »

Best of luck with the baba!

• Advertisement

Ms2011 wrote: »

Something wrong with that, definitely. Money talking.

Advertisement