Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flu vaccine

Options
  • 06-10-2020 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭

I might get it this year for the first time. Will you get it and if not why not?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Got it last weekend, have asthma so get it yearly. Didn’t have to pay this year so that took the sting out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Booked in Thursday ...

I always get it, but there is an endless waiting list in my chemist, which I'm supposed to be on. I am not charged for the vaccine itself, but always about €15 for the administration of it. Those on Medical Card are not charged. I see Claire Byrne got it last night on her show. I know lots are waiting and waiting? No word of when they'll get it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Easier said than done, had appointment for the vaccine pushed out three times already due to no stock in the country.

Get it every year normally.

1m vaccines used last year, they've ordered 1.35m this year.

gozunda wrote: »
    Booked in Thursday ...

My chemist said they will let me know when it's available for me, but can't say when that could be. I have cardiac, asthma and autoimmune issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just wondering do you feel sick after getting it or is that a myth?

pc7 wrote: »
    Got it last weekend, have asthma so get it yearly. Didn’t have to pay this year so that took the sting out of it.

I was told it just was not available early for anybody, just pot luck on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Have had it for the last 3 years through the job but its been pulled this year, not a priority case so going to give it a miss.

*Tin foil hat man in me says their going to to dose me with the Covid*

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I was told it just was not available early for anybody, just pot luck on the list.

I booked it a few weeks back online with Boots so got lucky, hope you get sorted soon Cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

I asked my doctor if I should get it, he laughed. Said he could tell by looking at me I had a robust immune system. He said the flu would be scared of me.

• Advertisement

I'm going to email the pharmacist now to ensure I am on their list. The owner, who always has friendly chats with me, assured me I'd eventually get a call but it could be weeks. She knows my medical history and the amount of stuff she has to dispense for me. Getting annoyed now, seeing everyone here has been at least offered appointments, I don't like being dismissed, albeit in a friendly way.

Plus side if we follow Oz, levels should be very low with social distancing etc in place

I asked my doctor if I should get it, he laughed. Said he could tell by looking at me I had a robust immune system. He said the flu would be scared of me.

I thought the idea this year was to avoid having it in the population this year because of Covid confusion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's in short supply at present. As an immuno-compromised teacher with several " underlying conditions" I am getting it tomorrow. I've been getting it for the last 15 years or so and have never been ill as a result of it, though my arm does get sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,921 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

1.3 million doses... not enough for herd immunity.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I think your doctor should be a little less dismissive. A young and exceptionally healthy woman in her 30s died from 'flu locally 4 years ago. You won't be top of the list to get the vaccine, but if you can, do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭maebee

billyhead wrote: »

I've been getting it every year for the past 10 years and have never felt sick after it, just get a little soreness in the needle site.

billyhead wrote: »

Personally speaking I always get the feeling of a bruise on arm coming on after about 8 hours after and lasting about 48 hours. About 2 out of 3 occasions I get a 12 hour slight fever, with some mild muscle aches, just take an early night, no big deal. It actually makes me feel good that it's prompted my immune system effectively.

I think your doctor should be a little less dismissive. A young and exceptionally healthy woman in her 30s died from 'flu locally 4 years ago. You won't be top of the list to get the vaccine, but if you can, do.

I don't even bother with my GP much since Covid began as the whole clinic is just not functioning satisfactorily, and I just can't trust it that very much after one of the GPs told me I can go about my business normally with potential Covid symptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I'm not sure that comment would inspire me with great confidence in your doctor. I'm pretty healthy but have some close family members who can't afford to get the flu so I've been getting it the last few years. I remember the last time I actually had the flu, must have been 25 years ago and I was in bed for 2 weeks, it was horrible.

• Advertisement

I got mine last Wednesday. Doctor had to make a house call for another reason but brought flu jabs with him to cover whoever was in the house at the time.

Seamai wrote: »
    I'm not sure that comment would inspire me with great confidence in your doctor. I'm pretty healthy but have some close family members who can't afford to get the flu so I've been getting it the last few years. I remember the last time I actually had the flu, must have been 25 years ago and I was in bed for 2 weeks, it was horrible.

Influenza is every bit as bad as a sharp bacteria pneumonia you can be hospitalised with, and takes just as long to recover from. In fact influenza is worse in my experience because unlike pneumonia it doesn't response to antibiotics and the glue causes the most horrible headache that has made me hallucinate. I've had severe bacterial pneumonia several times in past decades (some of it due to chronic reflux), but it is about 1988 since I had Influenza and remember every minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

I get it every year. I work in healthcare and the other half has asthma so I can't run the risk of passing it on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

there will be less flu this year due to mask use

• Registered Users Posts: 27,921 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    there will be less flu this year due to mask use

If the schools are open it will spread there as it does every year I suspect. The kids will pass it on to every one else in the household.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Seamai wrote: »

GPs vary so much in their attitude and approach to care, especially preventative care. I got a fish one stuck in my throat that led to an abscess back in July whilst staying in Clifden, and had to visit local GP. My experience was infinitely superior to my own GP practice in just about every possible way. A completely thorough approach there. I used to find my own practice sometimes very unsatisfactory when bringing my mother. One time she was sent away and told nothing wrong after I brought her for suspected chest infection; I drove her straight to Vincents where she was diagnosed with pneumonia. The GP only listens to chest through clothes. A very nice guy and easy to talk to, but you always have to pursue him, or be prepared to go to an emergency department if you aren't happy. Has happened a few times. Don't know if any other good GP, do it's the divil you know.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If the schools are open it will spread there as it does every year I suspect. The kids will pass it on to every one else in the household.

The idea this year is to vaccinate them for that very reason. Hopefully it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Got it this morning in my chemist. This is my 20th year to get it. Never had any after effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Influenza is every bit as bad as a sharp bacteria pneumonia you can be hospitalised with, and takes just as long to recover from. In fact influenza is worse in my experience because unlike pneumonia it doesn't response to antibiotics and the glue causes the most horrible headache that has made me hallucinate. I've had severe bacterial pneumonia several times in past decades (some of it due to chronic reflux), but it is about 1988 since I had Influenza and remember every minute of it.

Glue can give you hallucinations alright, ha.

Getting my bloods done tomorrow, hope to get flu jab too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

The idea this year is to vaccinate them for that very reason. Hopefully it will work.

Is it not a live vaccine in the Nasal?Will they be at risk of spreading, through shedding?

Advertisement