Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to make people resit driving test after a period of time?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    I won't quote your whole post, I fully agree when I started this post I didn't explain myself correctly and it came across as I had a bias.

I have no bias against age, I would support continous over view and checks for all ages.

As I've said previously, I haven't had time to fully look at the numbers and am finding it hard to get the relevant data. Mainly cause for crash, Ireland doesn't seem to like apportioning blame.

My theory is now based on other skills and professions, which is challenging require you to demonstrate ongoing understanding and ability after your initial test or qualification.

See bolded. Because you are looking for what is not there. And basing your ideas on a biassed attitude. Cart before hprse.

Hmm.. based on the ideas and suggestions in this thread, I think I'll just buy a €500 car and go without insurance, tax, nct or a driving license. I'll take the slap on the wrist and the driving ban (ha) if/when I'm caught. Then I'll get another €500 car and have a whale of a time again.

Let everyone else worry about driving for 30 years without a crash and then be told they're dangerous because they coast on the clutch every now and again. Would certainly be a great system and wouldn't be abused at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Hmm.. based on the ideas and suggestions in this thread, I think I'll just buy a €500 car and go without insurance, tax, nct or a driving license. I'll take the slap on the wrist and the driving ban (ha) if/when I'm caught. Then I'll get another €500 car and have a whale of a time again.

Let everyone else worry about driving for 30 years without a crash and then be told they're dangerous because they coast on the clutch every now and again. Would certainly be a great system and wouldn't be abused at all.

No, we have always been quite clear it wouldnt be another driving test it would be a not a danger to others test.

it would be a not a danger to others test.

Yeah.. So... a driving test, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Yeah.. So... a driving test, then?

Yeah, the pass or fail will be based on the ability to reverse around a corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Passing a theory test proves nothing. Learn the answers but don't put the principles into action. I've known people who breezed through the theory test and were dire drivers who failed many driving tests and many newly qualified who ignored most of the theory once they got their licence.
    Maybe it would refresh peoples minds about the basic rules of the road and correct action. Today i drove down a street and a truck delivering to a business was parked in the opposite lane. A car behind him decided he couldn't wait and overtook the truck in my lane, so i had to stop to let him pass even though i had right of way and there was no traffic behind him or i. Returning back up that street mins later, a bus was blocking one lane letting kids off at school and the traffic behind it took no notice of right of way and i had to inch forward and block the street to make a point.
    People know how to drive a car but they don't know the rules of the road ime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Defunkd wrote: »
    Maybe it would refresh peoples minds about the basic rules of the road and correct action. Today i drove down a street and a truck delivering to a business was parked in the opposite lane. A car behind him decided he couldn't wait and overtook the truck in my lane, so i had to stop to let him pass even though i had right of way and there was no traffic behind him or i. Returning back up that street mins later, a bus was blocking one lane letting kids off at school and the traffic behind it took no notice of right of way and i had to inch forward and block the street to make a point.
    People know how to drive a car but they don't know the rules of the road ime.

I think they would all answer the theory test correctly. They know the rules but just choose to ignore them when it doesn't suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The only statistics I could find was that 100% if crashes prior to 17.03.64 were caused by people who'd never taken the test.

In relation to your second point, that's the essence of all tests. If for example someone gets nervous with a tester in the car and drives like a lunatic and fails but are perfectly safe without a stranger in the car, should they pass?

Your third point is valid, the whole system should be over hauled.

NB what do you mean by "drives like a lunatic"? hyperbole much?

There was an item on driving tests on Joe Duffy about driving tests you would love; maybe still on podcast.

Many who had several tries...one man passed on his tenth test, his first with a woman tester..

Another, a woman, told how she use to fail as she was an excellent driver but got so nervous. Her driving school refused to take any more money off her for lessons as she was so good,
    Anyways, on her umpteenth try, a friend, knowing the problem, gave her 2 valium tablets and she sailed through.

nerves when we are being tested are normal enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Wow she could Only pass her test under the influence of a d10?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

ANXIOUS, you would honestly fail a test if your one was tomorrow.

They will pull stuff out of the air. People don't fail driving tests for not being able to drive yet there's a ~50% failure rate.

I went through about 3-4 driving tests before I realized what was going on, that it was more of a checklist of things you had to do. Doing artificial and contrived things that sometimes even make driving less safe, because they put off your natural sense of danger and fill you up with things you should be doing like looking at mirrors when sometimes looking ahead would be better, and allow you a lot more time to react to a real danger.

And what do you have against older people?

• Advertisement
Advertisement