Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time to make people resit driving test after a period of time?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Doesn't mean much if you drove 5km a year at 50km/h.

Which makes the elderly driver stats even more concerning as they be on the road a lot less and drive a lot slower too.

What stats ??

No one has shown any stats that elderly drivers are more likely to be the cause of an accident..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Melodeon wrote: »
    ....Someone who has managed to get themselves banned should have to prove their abilities before being let back out in public again, in my opinion...

..lets put this out there...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/maniac-taxi-driver-with-62-previous-driving-convictions-drove-himself-to-court-despite-being-banned-34139765.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Doesn't mean much if you drove 5km a year at 50km/h.

Which makes the elderly driver stats even more concerning as they be on the road a lot less and drive a lot slower too.

:confused: So?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Graces7 wrote: »
    :confused: So?

Driving too slow can be dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    So can driving too fast. I would argue that it's safer going to slow than going too fast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

So can driving too fast. I would argue that it's safer going to slow than going too fast.

I didn't say otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In relation to older drivers. Let's not forget, they are not on the road to be a deliberate nuisance to other drivers. They are there because they want or need to go somewhere. Most of us posting probably have our parents and grandparents still alive. If someone told you they were too slow to be still on the roads, would you like to be the one to tell them to stop driving? Especially outside of Dublin, the alternative transport is few and far between and mostly expensive. Plus a big slow bus is much harder to overtake on single lane carriageways then a little Yaris.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Depends on what you mean by slow? How can slower speeds be dangerous?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by slow? How can slower speeds be dangerous?

https://www.learnerdriving.com/driving-test/marking/progress.htm

etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Driving along the m6 last sunday around 4pm. pulled into the overtaking lane to pass a car only to be greeted by a golf driving the wrong way down the motorway. Just had enough time to slam on the brakes and get back into the left lane out of the way.

From what I saw an elderly woman was driving with another elderly man in the passenger seat. Called the guards who did a patrol but found no sign of them. Scared the ****e out of me.

Damn right I think people need to resit their driving test !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Driving along the m6 last sunday around 4pm. pulled into the overtaking lane to pass a car only to be greeted by a golf driving the wrong way down the motorway. Just had enough time to slam on the brakes and get back into the left lane out of the way.

From what I saw an elderly woman was driving with another elderly man in the passenger seat. Called the guards who did a patrol but found no sign of them. Scared the ****e out of me.

Damn right I think people need to resit their driving test !

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/driver-who-drove-wrong-way-in-m6-fatal-crash-had-been-drinking-26816582.html

Happens all too often.

In other cases people have done it deliberately..

knipex wrote: »
    Again nothing to do with you original hypothesis

You keep stealing my thunder! And it was drink in that one case... LIke the Buncrana man, not old, who killed his family except the baby when the car went off the slipway. 3 times the legal limit.

Few accidents have a single cause, a common factor.

knipex wrote: »
    Again nothing to do with you original hypothesis

Really? Elder driver cause of fatal accident.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Really? Elder driver cause of fatal accident.

Really ? That's what you saw ? I saw drunk driver causes accident.

How about the 44 year old drunk man in Galway who killed a 66 year old ?? That involved the death of an "elder".. Does it also support your theory ? (although to be fair the stat was included in a link you used previously to support your argument..)

Would anyone here that's is so aghast at the idea that people would have to demonstrate they aren't a danger to other road users fly on a plane where the pilot hasnt had any review or further training in the 50yrs since qualification?

Or have asked themselves why there is a maximum age limit in certain transport sectors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Basically I think everyone should have to resit the driving test after say 10years of initially passing it

Anything to support this part of your original hypothesis?

Anything to support this part of your original hypothesis?

First two off the top of my head Rules of the road change and bad habits creep in.

First two off the top of my head Rules of the road change and bad habits creep in.

any actual data that supports that drivers get worse as they get older? Excluding the Over 65s.

• Advertisement

any actual data that supports that drivers get worse as they get older? Excluding the Over 65s.

Why would you excuse elderly drivers from a question asking if older drivers get worse?

I wouldn't care if the test was brought in at 65, 55,45,35 or 25, I just want to see some testing introduced after you've passed your test to demonstrate that you aren't a danger to other road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

I think that resits OR some reeducation ( like a little refresher class) after a period of time OR at a certain age OR after a blame accident might certainly be a good thing. Unfortunately RSA are barely able to cope with test numbers at mo. And each test ( don't ask me how) costs more than the fee.
    Enforcement of rules and good driving behavior is extremely lax. As an e.g. there is a stretch of road near me with 3 lanes and 100km limit. The way of things on this stretch is to go 120km or more while changing lanes ( sometime s more than one at a time) without indicating, even though accidents are rare to none there. Another lax enforcement is fog lights, ok it's very low on seriousness, but it's indicative of lack of enforcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

I wish people would learn, understand and obey the rules of the road. Retaking drivers test unnecessary but i'd agree with having to complete the theory test before getting the license renewed. €5 per theory test and make it minimum 80% correct to pass.
    Rainy days make bad drivers worse and we have a lot of both in this country.

Why would you excuse elderly drivers from a question asking if older drivers get worse?

I wouldn't care if the test was brought in at 65, 55,45,35 or 25, I just want to see some testing introduced after you've passed your test to demonstrate that you aren't a danger to other road users.

because the statistics we do have show that drivers are less likely to be involved in statistics as they get older, up until the age of 65 at which point they become more likely.

because the statistics we do have show that drivers are less likely to be involved in statistics as they get older, up until the age of 65 at which point they become more likely.

OK, let's say I agree with your statement, so would you then agree with 65+ demonstrating that they aren't a danger to other road users?

OK, let's say I agree with your statement, so would you then agree with 65+ demonstrating that they aren't a danger to other road users?

I certainly think the current health checks should be more stringently enforced. i dont think they need to retake a driving test. especially not every year.

I certainly think the current health checks should be more stringently enforced. i dont think they need to retake a driving test. especially not every year.

My issue with that is a health check is only demonstrating you're healthy enough to drive not that you aren't a danger to others.

I also wouldn't agree with yearly checks but as you get older I think they should become more frequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Defunkd wrote: »
    I wish people would learn, understand and obey the rules of the road. Retaking drivers test unnecessary but i'd agree with having to complete the theory test before getting the license renewed. €5 per theory test and make it minimum 80% correct to pass.
    Rainy days make bad drivers worse and we have a lot of both in this country.

Passing a theory test proves nothing. Learn the answers but don't put the principles into action. I've known people who breezed through the theory test and were dire drivers who failed many driving tests and many newly qualified who ignored most of the theory once they got their licence.

Would anyone here that's is so aghast at the idea that people would have to demonstrate they aren't a danger to other road users fly on a plane where the pilot hasnt had any review or further training in the 50yrs since qualification?

Or have asked themselves why there is a maximum age limit in certain transport sectors?

You original hypothesis and your entire argument since was that older drivers were more dangerous and hence you suggested a number of changes to current law to address that issue.

So far you have failed to provide any evidence or proof that older drivers (or as you seem to prefer "elder drivers") are in far more dangerous than anyone else.

So if your original hypothesis is false then the rest of the discussion and debate is irrelevant.

However you continue to look for a solution to a problem that cannot show actually exists.

On a side note.

I actually support the concept of regular training and or testing of all drivers but only if it is of actual benefit and not just another revenue stream for driving instructors or the safety industry to be milked for all its worth..

I also wouldn't fall into your category of "elder driver" more middle aged driver but if you identify a problem and then propose a solution you should really be able to show that the problem actually exists and isn't just bias.

• Advertisement

I won't quote your whole post, I fully agree when I started this post I didn't explain myself correctly and it came across as I had a bias.

I have no bias against age, I would support continous over view and checks for all ages.

As I've said previously, I haven't had time to fully look at the numbers and am finding it hard to get the relevant data. Mainly cause for crash, Ireland doesn't seem to like apportioning blame.

My theory is now based on other skills and professions, which is challenging require you to demonstrate ongoing understanding and ability after your initial test or qualification.

I won't quote your whole post, I fully agree when I started this post I didn't explain myself correctly and it came across as I had a bias.

I have no bias against age, I would support continous over view and checks for all ages.

As I've said previously, I haven't had time to fully look at the numbers and am finding it hard to get the relevant data. Mainly cause for crash, Ireland doesn't seem to like apportioning blame.

My theory is now based on other skills and professions, which is challenging require you to demonstrate ongoing understanding and ability after your initial test or qualification.

See bolded. Because you are looking for what is not there. And basing your ideas on a biassed attitude. Cart before hprse.

Hmm.. based on the ideas and suggestions in this thread, I think I'll just buy a €500 car and go without insurance, tax, nct or a driving license. I'll take the slap on the wrist and the driving ban (ha) if/when I'm caught. Then I'll get another €500 car and have a whale of a time again.

Let everyone else worry about driving for 30 years without a crash and then be told they're dangerous because they coast on the clutch every now and again. Would certainly be a great system and wouldn't be abused at all.

Hmm.. based on the ideas and suggestions in this thread, I think I'll just buy a €500 car and go without insurance, tax, nct or a driving license. I'll take the slap on the wrist and the driving ban (ha) if/when I'm caught. Then I'll get another €500 car and have a whale of a time again.

Let everyone else worry about driving for 30 years without a crash and then be told they're dangerous because they coast on the clutch every now and again. Would certainly be a great system and wouldn't be abused at all.

No, we have always been quite clear it wouldnt be another driving test it would be a not a danger to others test.

it would be a not a danger to others test.

Yeah.. So... a driving test, then?

Yeah.. So... a driving test, then?

Yeah, the pass or fail will be based on the ability to reverse around a corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Passing a theory test proves nothing. Learn the answers but don't put the principles into action. I've known people who breezed through the theory test and were dire drivers who failed many driving tests and many newly qualified who ignored most of the theory once they got their licence.
    Maybe it would refresh peoples minds about the basic rules of the road and correct action. Today i drove down a street and a truck delivering to a business was parked in the opposite lane. A car behind him decided he couldn't wait and overtook the truck in my lane, so i had to stop to let him pass even though i had right of way and there was no traffic behind him or i. Returning back up that street mins later, a bus was blocking one lane letting kids off at school and the traffic behind it took no notice of right of way and i had to inch forward and block the street to make a point.
    People know how to drive a car but they don't know the rules of the road ime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Defunkd wrote: »
    Maybe it would refresh peoples minds about the basic rules of the road and correct action. Today i drove down a street and a truck delivering to a business was parked in the opposite lane. A car behind him decided he couldn't wait and overtook the truck in my lane, so i had to stop to let him pass even though i had right of way and there was no traffic behind him or i. Returning back up that street mins later, a bus was blocking one lane letting kids off at school and the traffic behind it took no notice of right of way and i had to inch forward and block the street to make a point.
    People know how to drive a car but they don't know the rules of the road ime.

I think they would all answer the theory test correctly. They know the rules but just choose to ignore them when it doesn't suit.

The only statistics I could find was that 100% if crashes prior to 17.03.64 were caused by people who'd never taken the test.

In relation to your second point, that's the essence of all tests. If for example someone gets nervous with a tester in the car and drives like a lunatic and fails but are perfectly safe without a stranger in the car, should they pass?

Your third point is valid, the whole system should be over hauled.

NB what do you mean by "drives like a lunatic"? hyperbole much?

There was an item on driving tests on Joe Duffy about driving tests you would love; maybe still on podcast.

Many who had several tries...one man passed on his tenth test, his first with a woman tester..

Another, a woman, told how she use to fail as she was an excellent driver but got so nervous. Her driving school refused to take any more money off her for lessons as she was so good,
    Anyways, on her umpteenth try, a friend, knowing the problem, gave her 2 valium tablets and she sailed through.

nerves when we are being tested are normal enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Wow she could Only pass her test under the influence of a d10?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

ANXIOUS, you would honestly fail a test if your one was tomorrow.

They will pull stuff out of the air. People don't fail driving tests for not being able to drive yet there's a ~50% failure rate.

I went through about 3-4 driving tests before I realized what was going on, that it was more of a checklist of things you had to do. Doing artificial and contrived things that sometimes even make driving less safe, because they put off your natural sense of danger and fill you up with things you should be doing like looking at mirrors when sometimes looking ahead would be better, and allow you a lot more time to react to a real danger.

And what do you have against older people?

• Advertisement
Advertisement