Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ICC World Cup 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

10.30 start with no rain and both sides batting the 50 overs each... should be finished around 6.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

robinph wrote: »
    So have been offered some free tickets for the England v W Indies later in the week, but can't for the life of me find out how long the matches are going on for. There seems to be a start time of 10:30am, is that going to be the start of play, or just when they open the gates? Assuming it remains dry then how long does it normally take to get through 50 overs each?

Need to figure out if we can get their reasonably by train so that we can also drink.

Nice, should be one of the better games, on paper.

Meh! Stops raining, covers come off, starts raining again, not looking hopeful, they need to resume before 17:00 and have no more rain thereafter to get a T20 in and have a result.

That's probably curtains for SA

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/cricket/47477339
    Posted at 16:1616:16
    BREAKING
    Match abandoned
    And that, finally, is that.

Sadly the rain never really went away, apart from that brief spell of false hope about an hour ago.

It means that only 7.3 overs were possible today, with South Africa on 29-2 when the rain stopped play at 11:00 BST.

Both South Africa and West Indies take one point from the match.

So have been offered some free tickets for the England v W Indies later in the week, but can't for the life of me find out how long the matches are going on for. There seems to be a start time of 10:30am, is that going to be the start of play, or just when they open the gates? Assuming it remains dry then how long does it normally take to get through 50 overs each?

Need to figure out if we can get their reasonably by train so that we can also drink.

Can I come?

I’m expecting that to be the best match so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Debub

India v Australia looked like it was a home game for the Indians - a sea of blue...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,497 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Debub wrote: »
    a sea of blue...
    And that's just today's pitch at Bristol....

Beasty wrote: »
    And that's just today's pitch at Bristol....

LoL = last I saw they were mopping up the water, rain had stopped and play was most likely to get going soon

India v Australia looked like it was a home game for the Indians - a sea of blue...

I’ve been to an England v India game and it feels like an Indian home match

The swarmy army are great fun though.

I had an Indian lad (with a strong Brummie accent) laughing at how crap England were, so pointed out that we had just demolished them in the test series.

He took his sunglasses off and replied “my good man, we were English for the test series”.

• Advertisement

Yea - its a different experience watching an India game :-) last one I saw was in Malahide vs Ireland last June, was good fun

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nice bit of green

Yea - its a different experience watching an India game :-) last one I saw was in Malahide vs Ireland last June, was good fun

It was enjoyable until Ireland started to bat. India too good unfortunately but it was great to see them up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Rain widespread in the UK for the coming week which is causing havoc on the World Cup.

Aus vs Pk = would have been a good match
    Ind vs NZ = India will have to share points, instead of getting full points
    Eng vs WI = Would have been a good match
    SL vs Aus = Aussies will have to share points, instead of getting full points
    SAF vs Afghanistan = Afghanistan might have got this one seeing SAF current form :-)
    Ind vs Pak = the big one washed out will be catastrophic

Match abandoned today.
    Aus vs Pk = would have been a good match
    Ind vs NZ = India will have to share points, instead of getting full points
    Eng vs WI = Would have been a good match
    SL vs Aus = Aussies will have to share points, instead of getting full points
    SAF vs Afghanistan = Afghanistan might have got this one seeing SAF current form :-)
    Ind vs Pak = the big one washed out will be catastrophic

Each one of those game are interesting as well. Pretty disastrous for the weather to get involved but of course it's always likely in this part of the world.

maybe a good idea to bring your swimming togs along :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

maybe a good idea to bring your swimming togs along :P

I'm holding off on splashing out on the train tickets just yet, but Friday in Southampton looks like it could be the driest day of the week so far. They don't need the rest of the "pitch" dry out in order to play do they, it's just the yellow bit in the middle they are worried about?

I'm holding off on splashing out on the train tickets just yet, but Friday in Southampton looks like it could be the driest day of the week so far. They don't need the rest of the "pitch" dry out in order to play do they, it's just the yellow bit in the middle they are worried about?

I like that - the yellow bit in the middle - Lol

yea - kind of, but the green bits around (outfield) also should not be sopping wet either, the pitch (yellow bit) is always covered anyway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I like that - the yellow bit in the middle - Lol

Despite the impression you may get through the sports media, English people don't always understand cricket either. :eek:

Pak vs Aussies is underway anyway, lets see if the Pak victory over England was a one off, can the Aussies really dominate... (Pak just dropped Finch in the slip)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,497 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

146-0 after 22. If they keep this up, and in particular keep wickets in hand we could be seeing 400+(assuming weather does not interfere)

• Advertisement

223-3 after 33.4 with Maxwell being promoted and now gone

Warner is still there on 95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Pakistan fielding leaving something to be desired & Aussie batsmen riding their luck. Warner gets his century off a streaky edge that went through slips and then dropped a few balls later..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Pakistan have curtailed a little what at one stage looked like it was going to be a huge score 277/5 (42)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Amir playing a blinder.
    Australia 288-6

Edit: Now 302 - 8.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

302 for 8 off 48 overs

307 all out - Amir 5-30

Mohammad Amir finishes 5/30 off 10, remarkable bowling. Aussies bowled out for 307.

They have to be very disappointed with that having squandered what was a brilliant opportunity to set a huge score and make a bit of a statement.

307 all out in 49 overs - that was a super comeback from Pakistan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Beasty wrote: »
    307 all out - Amir 5-30

Still think it'll be too many, but Pakistan dragged it back very well. Amir was excellent.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Pak 56 for 2 in 11 overs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nice bit of green

Good to get a game in today after a disappointing few days. Lovely fielding for the last wicket by Australia.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like there'll be a whole lot of play today

Aye the weather is beginning to have a pretty negative effect on this phase of the World Cup, sadly. If you have a match against one of the very weak teams as a No Result it certainly harms your chances of progression.

Match abandoned... point loss for India

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye the weather is beginning to have a pretty negative effect on this phase of the World Cup, sadly. If you have a match against one of the very weak teams as a No Result it certainly harms your chances of progression.

Exactly. Spare a thought for Sri Lanka (and anyone following them), two games rained off.

I know they claim it's too difficult to implement but surely with the tournament progressing at an already lethargic one game per day, it wouldn't be overly taxing to designate several fixture dates spread throughout the group stages where more than one game will be played in the event that someone has to make up a weather delayed fixture.

Thankfully only a 1% chance of rain at Southampton today, looking forward to this contest, Windies fast bowling has been very aggressive and England are the new England, should be a good ODI, I hope.

Who had Joe Root down to be the bowler who'd strike the killing blows to this innings? :pac:

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Who had Joe Root down to be the bowler who'd strike the killing blows to this innings? :pac:

Aye 2 c&b lol, fair play.

England in command with the West Indies reduced 202-8.

Injuries for Roy and Morgan however have dampened their spirits.

• Advertisement

England should take this one - comfortably

212 all out in 44 overs

There have been wickets each time I went to the bar so far, and it's my round again. Hope that doesn't continue now England are batting. :)

Windies dismantled clinically by England in the end, good toss to win, defo a bit in the pitch after being under the covers for a few days, and then dried out during the Windies innings, poor shot selection from them mind and an excellent response from the England batsmen. Archer is defo one to watch when he plays in the Ashes.

70% chance of rain on Sun, hope it doesn't ruin the crown jewel of the group stages up there in Manchester at Old Trafford CG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Raining again in Cardiff where the unfortunate Afghans are trying to score some runs having been inserted. Looking like a Duckworth-Lewis win for SA if they manage to get the game played.

The Lankans are looking decent enough at 120/1/16 chasing the Aussies' 335/7 (big ton for Finch).

India v Pakistan should be interesting anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

BarryD2 wrote: »
    India v Pakistan should be interesting anyway :)

This will be the most in demand game of cricket ever played in England.
    Interest in the match is so high that more than 500,000 people applied for the 25,000 tickets on offer at Old Trafford.

This has to be one of the one of the biggest fixtures in any world sporting contest.I wish I was there.

I hope the Manchester weather Gods are kind and it isn't too disrupted by rain.

We all want peace between Pakistan and India. Except when playing cricket!

• Advertisement

India into a bit of rhythm now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Rohit should have been run out twice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jaysisjames

India having it surprisingly easy so far in this match.
    Don't think Pakistan have the players to really dominate. What they wouldn't give for a Waqar or a Wasim to steam in and obliterate this Indian team. It would be good to shut up the smug ganguly in the commentary box.

India pushing along at near 6 an over. Be interesting what happens if weather intervenes and what eventual target Pakistan are set, assuming play is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

BarryD2 wrote: »
    India pushing along at near 6 an over. Be interesting what happens if weather intervenes and what eventual target Pakistan are set, assuming play is possible.

I strongly suspect that, regardless of what DL target Pakistan may be set, India are already home and dry (well maybe a bit damp, rather than dry!). The big worry for them must be that the weather will prevent them from bowling the required 20 overs to make a match of it.

UPDATE: India 336/5 from 50. Big ask for Pakistan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement