Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Polestar 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Not a fan of the styling to be honest, it looks more like a Skoda than a Volvo, but good that there are more options coming for EV buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irelandjnr

m
    TOLLOT wrote: »
    I was quite taken with the look & spec of this too so I sent an e mail to
    Polestar asking about launch in Ireland.
    There no plans to launch it here at the moment I’m afraid.

Typical.

VW triplets are apparently not coming here either. We could always buy from UK and import, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irelandjnr

JohnC. wrote: »
    https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/polestar-2-will-cost-fifty-grand

Top Gear say £49,900, sitting between Model 3 Long Range and Performance. Cheaper version to come.

£47K on Polestar UK website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

irelandjnr wrote: »
    m

Typical.

VW triplets are apparently not coming here either. We could always buy from UK and import, yeah?

IIRC there was a thing you could do years ago where you could order a new RHD car in Germany - or any EU country - and bring it back to register it here. Mercedes were trying to scupper it though, as their dealer network here were kicking off big time about it.

It was a long time ago, but it was an EU thing where you could buy new anywhere in the EU. You'd still have to pay VRT on import, but you could get models and spec you couldn't get here.

Importing from the UK is likely to get prohibitively expensive when they "take back control". :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The only difficulty with purchasing abroad is that you lose the SEAI grant, and don't get to take advantage of a different countries grant.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    The only difficulty with purchasing abroad is that you lose the SEAI grant, and don't get to take advantage of a different countries grant.

Good point. The time I remember was well before EVs, so it wasn't an issue.

I wonder if you could do it with the assistance of a dealer. What are the restrictions for the SEAI grant? If you're bringing in a new car through a dealership, and the first registration was in Ireland, would the grant not be available? The VRT reductions would probably apply as they do for a second hand car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The SEAI grant has to done through a dealer registered with the SEAI. Technically I don't think they can stop a dealer from abroad registering, but in practice its enough of a hurdle to prevent the action

liamog wrote: »
    The SEAI grant has to done through a dealer registered with the SEAI. Technically I don't think they can stop a dealer from abroad registering, but in practice its enough of a hurdle to prevent the action

No, I meant with the help of a friendly dealer in Ireland.

I wonder if Volvo dealers are able to source cars from Polestar. Cupra only have one dealer in Ireland, but SEAT dealers are able to act as agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Very very positive review from Robert @ Fully Charged - https://youtu.be/_cwD50F_RWw

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Very very positive review from Robert @ Fully Charged - https://youtu.be/_cwD50F_RWw

Johnny Smith reviewed it recently too:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Very very positive review from Robert @ Fully Charged

He gushes about anything & everything "green".

I'd check out expert reviewers, like Bob Flavin for instance, for more impartial reviews :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Johnny Smith reviewed it recently too:

Didn’t realise he left Fully Charged to go to another review channel, shame!

He didn't go to another channel so much as rekindle his own, details were never provided on the exact reason for the split, but he's got a good mix of new car content and some other interesting car related stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Kramer wrote: »
    He gushes about anything & everything "green".

I'd check out expert reviewers, like Bob Flavin for instance, for more impartial reviews :D.

I like Bob , but he is no expert.

I like Bob , but he is no expert.

It's on his Youtube channel though :confused:.

9kmeGZo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Can we actually order this here?

A Volvo dealer told me the Polestar 2 wasn't due to be released here, or, if released, certainly not before next year.

I like Volvos - just put an S80 T6 through the NCT, great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Some real life tests "auf der Autobahn". Polestar vs Tesla Model 3 (two direct competitors)

As can be expected, the Polestar uses 25% more electricity at speed (200km/h), this is not very important in terms of fuel costs, but it does mean with a similar battery capacity that the Polestar has 25% less range. And when it comes to filling up, the Polestar is pretty quick, but 25% slower than the Tesla. I guess it depends on your needs if this is relevant or not. I guess only if you regularly do very big distance driving (at speed) will it matter a lot. It is more quiet though at speeds, the reviewers are impressed with the quality of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Anybody know if this will be available in Ireland?
    I can’t believe they would build it in right hand drive for the U.K. and not sell it here too.
    I emailed Volvo Ireland asking about it and got no reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Anybody know if this will be available in Ireland?
    I can’t believe they would build it in right hand drive for the U.K. and not sell it here too.
    I emailed Volvo Ireland asking about it and got no reply.

Even if it is not you can probably get from NI or mainland UK. Now after brexit there may be extra new taxes and duty from non EU countries, so it might be impractical. However with UK car manufacturing and EU car manufacturing I expect some agreement will be reached at least for new cars to be made in EU and sold in UK and vice versa without new taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Well, this is pretty disappointing. Over 100km it spent four times longer charging than the Model 3 compared to the reference fossil.

Combined with lack of cheap access to Ionity and no access to Tesla superchargers, it seems like the dream of it being a well-screwed together and better finished Model 3 are dead.

It's more like a faster and more attractive Koniro.

It's no match for the eTron due to noise and ride quality, but maybe the non-Performance version will be better.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V6ucyFGKWuSQzvI8lMzvvWJHrBS82echMVJH37kwgjE/edit#gid=15442336

I saw one at the traffic lights yesterday. They aren't pretty looking cars.
    If I had to use one word to describe it, I'd call it monolithic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

https://insideevs.com/news/447089/all-2200-polestar-2-delivered-recalled/

All Polestar 2's being recalled due to an issue where they suddenly stop working, even while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭innrain

I think I red somewhere that Polestar is coming to Ireland.

Googled a bit and found they setup a company back in September

Found then the article but seems to be behind a paywall and has a picture of DiCaprio instead of a car so not worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭silver_sky

"Article" states launch in first half of 2022 and spokesman stated “early stages of preparing for Ireland which we are excited about”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Polestar 2 – Our 100% electric car | Polestar IE

I clicked into an ad for Polestar on Boards here and it brought me here. I wonder if these prices are applicable to Ireland? I looked for a test drive but subsequently got an email saying not available to test drive yet.

Edit

found this.

Polestar arrives in Ireland - car and motoring news by CompleteCar.ie

Post edited by carsfan2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

They'll be doing 90 min test drives as soon as they launch. I'll have a vid up in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I very much like the outside.

Advertisement