Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Polestar 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

Yeah I don't understand that point, they are well put together and capable vehicles. Same price range as an EV6 and in all honesty a tough choice although the polestar would pip it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I've no problems with Chinese cars at all. In fact most of us will be driving a Chinese car soon enough. But the Polestar pricing is at near German premium brands, that's just a bit rich. And for that reason, I can't see them sell in big numbers, the depreciation is almost certainly going to be steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They're a premium Brand though it's volvo sports division. Whatever you're feelings about their ownership. Volvo have always been premium in the same league and or above bmw. Hence the price point of any volvo presently.

For some very strange reason I have never owned a Volvo. Always liked them though but I have to disagree with you about them being of similar or even higher premium value / quality than BMW. I'd call them semi-premium at a push. I remember not doing myself any favours many moons ago when I explained to my boss that his brand new Volvo S40 was a Mitsubishi Carisma underneath 😂

I will immediately add to that, that a similar thing was said about the Saab 9-5 and 9-3 being based on the Opel Vectra. I did own a 9-5 and while it was the opposite of a driver's car, it was actually a very nice place to be in. Premium even. Maybe I am biased (former petrol head and I like driving) but a FWD car as a total package can never really be premium in my book...

They can't command the prices they do without being a premium brand. You won't get change from 40k for 7 year old XC90 for example. There aren't many premium cars holding those sorts of numbers. And I've been BMW owner for 15 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Premium pricing has put them in the premium brand category IMO. I wouldn’t class them as any more premium that bmw or Audi.

The are a very low volume seller in Ireland due to their price. Hence the recent reductions to try shift excess stock before the refresh model comes. And even at that they will struggle to sell off the current version.

I went to the open even last year and im still getting calls from sales this month asking if I’m interested.

Nice cars, undoubtedly but a bit rich for what you’re getting IMO. You are paying for the badge and hoping by the time resale comes that someone else whats that too.

We just bought a 142 40d X5 for €38k last week. Also a 141 M50D X5 for 37,950 sold within a week ashen we collected.

I think they are relatively on par with each other brand wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I think sales of the Polestar 2 are about right for a new brand entering the Irish market. Certainly, Polestar Dublin has had strong and weaker sales periods. Around the time I bough mine, they were selling very well and right up there on the monthly ev sales graph. I think in general, car dealers are starting to struggle again. VW has brought back the 0% PCP which is a sure sign that sales are down. Also, nobody really knows about Polestar yet. They're starting to advertise now on TV, so it will take a few years before sales match that of its competitors. I think the new P3 and P4 will be an interesting proposition for people with a bit of cash in their pockets. Still, I get asked every day what my car is, mostly from older people. Nobody knows the brand and I think it's mostly ev-heads walking into the showroom in Sandyford. The general public doesn't know about Polestar just yet.

Polestar's sales strategy is to have stock available all the time for a quick turnaround. I got my car in 12 days because they keep every variation of the car out the back. You'll notice that the options list is actually quite short on the P2 and most things are offered as standard or part of plus pack.

The reason for all the price changing is to shift cars for the facelift in 2024. There's no way Polestar Dublin will want all those FWD versions sitting in the courtyard come January 2024.

I don't think the German brand thing holds much weight anymore. As someone who comes from Audis, the Polestar 2 is way beyond an A4, Q3, Q4 in terms of fit and finish. I'm a big fan of what BMW are doing at the moment. I like the quirkiness of their new models but I looked inside a top-spec new X1 the other days and the interior looked a bit dated. Yes, you get things like leather seats lower down the range but I think Polestar is targeting a different customer to BMW

A Volvo is a BMW, Merc, or Audi for someone who doesn't like to draw attention to their car. Their quality has always been on par with if not better than those three. I think Volvos are overpriced though. The P2 is a much more affordable car than an XC40. Volvo appears to be adjusting its pricing strategy with the new EX30 and pricing its new cars more affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Rented a P2 at Brussels airport to try it out.

-

Claustrophobic cabin

Rear seats tiny

No power when you put the foot down

Ergo design of cabin is weird

Base model had only manual adjustment on drivers side and nothing (!) on passenger side

No access to the Tesla supercharger network meant a frustrating foray into app/id card/chargemap bolloxology

+

Cruised nicely at high speed. Not better than any other brand but it was pleasant.

Felt more like a regular car than a Tesla (not sure is this a + or a - really).

Range was pretty good considering the high speed driving concerned

It's definitely not a premium cabin/package. Mid-market at absolute best, and not a patch on a real Volvo. Makes Tesla look very roomy and very smart - could not unlock any intelligence from the P2 at all - still, I suppose it has not been built as a smart car so I won't labour it.

Well down on power compared to a MY RWD - that was a huge turnoff.

FWD - no fun to drive in general, and this implementation is not one of the best. Sat back in a MY a few days later - proper EV at this price point. Everything just "works".

Price: not competitive unless facing off against VW, but VW a nicer place to be in.

• Advertisement

@MojoMaker - "Well down on power compared to a MY RWD - that was a huge turnoff."

Oh wow and the Model Y RWD is the slowest ever Tesla made by some margin 😁 It was one of the things that put me off buying a Model Y, but I'm spoilt with a history of powerful cars. Pickup is fine once moving and driving over 20-30km/h or so, just slow from standstill.

Electric seats are standard on the P2. Maybe you drove an older model or the Pilot lite pack isn't standard in some parts of Europe.

Strange comment about the interior but each to their own. You do know it's a Volvo inside just with a big screen?

I feel like you might be a Model 3 owner trolling us Polestar owners a little bit. 😅

I do find it highly amusing tesla owners going on about interior and premium interior.. The model Y and 3s are cut right back. Bland and incredibly boring. The big screen is the only stand out in an otherwise dull menage of dull ness.

Nobody here said the interior of a Tesla Model Y or Model 3 was premium, or am I missing something here?

I didn't drive the Polestar 2 or even sit in it, but I like the model and from looking in, the cabin looked very claustrophobic, but that wouldn't be a show stopper for me. But you have to ask why they did that in a ground up BEV.

FWD was a poor choice although perhaps it won't bother most people who would buy one in the first place as it isn't aimed to be a driver's car. It would put me right off enough to simply not buy it. And it's not premium like BMW or Mercedes. Volvo simply never has been on that level. Semi premium at best and the price is just far too high for what it is. That's why I can't see too many selling over here. Which is a pity as it seems to be a decent EV.

Some defensive folks in here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The fact that they’re not an Audi or BMW is admittedly a big part of the draw of Volvo for me. Do really like the iX and old i3 though. And quite like the newer electrified Mercs. Are Volvos expensive, absolutely yes. But they’re shifting them easily enough from what I can see. And they’ve plenty of interest and money down on the EX range. Currently driving a 22 XC60 t6 which was 70 plus. Again large money for the size, but that’s it market segment. J&P has zero issues shifting these last year.

I definitely think the P2 in its outgoing spec was overpriced. The large increase in power in the base model should balance things somewhat, but the cabin does feel small. Funny seeing all the Volvo switch gear in them. I think the P3 & 4 will be the game changer for them. Quite interested in the 3, but I don’t know would I better waiting for the yet to be announced ex60.

As for Unkel’s defensive comment. That’s just a bit odd. Admittedly Unkel you tend to have “strong opinions” once formed and really seem to dig in on topics. Whether that’s cars or watches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DrPsychia

I think the PS2 sales have been and will be substantially impacted by the big price cuts on the M3 and MY. In saying that, Polestar is marketed as a premium brand which influences the price to value ratio thus people who are more wealthy and don't have a need for much space will buy one. Buyers have their justified reasons for picking either brand but I think a lot see better value a M3/MY at the moment considering the interior space/storage, efficiency/range, supercharger network, more standard features like heated steering, and more power on tap.

There are many faults/bones of contention with Teslas such as build quality(pronounced rattles, hardware faults, soft paint), deletion of Ultrasonic sensors in 2023 models, no physical rain sensor. Some people hate the minimalistic interior/exterior design of the Teslas, some feel neutral, and some love it. Many people don't encounter issues with their Teslas, those that do are taken care of by the service team, however the service team definitely need more resources like another service centre.

In my opinion, Polestars' main faults with the PS2 are it's high price to value ratio compared to M3/MY or similar offerings from some mature brands, then you have the issue with the drivers seat being quite cramped because of the centre tunnel, cramped rear leg room, and small boot. I say that as a man of average height and slim build, so I'm not large by any means. The exterior is attractive in my opinion.

There are things I love and hate about Polestar and Tesla. Every person has their justified reasons for buying each brands respective models based on their criteria and needs. I'm not a very wealthy person with hopes of starting a family in the near future so I want to get the best value for money when I buy a car. Based off my needs and wants the best value for money is a M3/MY at the moment.

I don’t think any Tesla owner has mentioned a resale being a premium interior in here. Can you point that out, maybe I missed that too.

Great that there’s choice as some people like the minimal design, like my i3 loved it. Tesla goes one step beyond that, brilliant (for me). I’m not a fan of the cramped cockpit and even when I get into our 530e, it feels cramped and outdated but that’s why there’s choice.

You go enjoy your coffee, I’ll stick to tea.

It seems you agree with my opinion in this case 😂

He literally said it was mid market and makes tesla look very room 'and smart'. The implications being that the Tesla interior looks more premium

Not being defensive BTW just calling out the hypocrisy. There are valid differences that other posters rightly have listed above. But then there are ones easily picked apart like the pretence of minimalist design when it is just cheating out on the interior.

Note both volvo and polestar are using premium materials designed and sourced via their Swedish design office. So I still think all of the talk on interior thought process is a bit odd.

But sure look each to their own that's the point. If we all went all borg on the Tesla train the roads would be awful. Surprising from car lovers frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DrPsychia

That's a valid POV re the butchering of the interior design for the sake of profit, one which I agree it, particularly around the lack of tactile of climate controls buttons and a few other things that should be tactile but there are many people and tech enthusiasts that don't share my view. While I don't like the lack of certain tactile buttons or features, it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me based off my needs and wants.

I'm not supporting anyones remarks regarding premium cabins or lack thereof of each brands offerings as I think neither are inherently right or wrong, it's just a matter of taste and perception, it's purely subjective. Subjectively, I like that Tesla have synthetic leather seats as standard whereas it's a €4k+ option(yes I know it's real and ventilated) on a PS2 which has cloth seats as standard. This can sway peoples perception of a premium cabin feeling. All things being standard I would class the Tesla as a more premium interior due to the standard leather, why? because I grew up in poverty with a poor family who couldn't afford nice things and always had a problematic cloth seat banger car because we couldn't afford a newer and more luxurious car, couldn't afford fake leather anything, nevermind real leather. But again that's just my opinion based off my preferences and lived experience, there's nothing objective about it, its subjective.

Opinions are like the Anus, everyone has one.

Post edited by DrPsychia on

• Advertisement

Admittedly I bought a P2 because we have a larger EV for the family but after owning the car for a few months it isn't as small as a lot of people make out. I think the transmission tunnel puts a lot of people off. Getting into a P2 for the first time feels odd but over time the bump between the driver and passenger adds a sporty feel to the interior and it's a nice place to rest your arm with easy access to the gear shifter. I don't think the interior is claustrophobic. Just different.

The Model 3 and P2 are both premium cars, whatever way people want to put it. I come from Audis and while the interiors are different, they are in no way better or "more premium'" The same can be said for BMW and Mercedes. Coming back to the Volvo point. I think it all comes back to what people view as premium. I don't really like Audi/BMW/Mercedes interiors. I think they are dated, overcrowded with buttons, and targeting a very different customer to Volvo. Volvos are classy, refined, understated cars and so are their owners. In a lot of ways, they punch higher than their competitors.

In terms of performance, the P2 isn't at the same level as the Model 3 but it is still leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. My standard P2 has the same performance as an ID4 GTX so it's important to look at all the competition and not just the model 3. Also, unless you are racing other cars from the traffic lights on a wet day, you will not notice the FWD. In fact, it actually makes the car more pointy than its competitors, something a lot of people have commented on who have driven one.

I bought a P2 because I was pi**ed off with Audi who sold me a lemon a few months previous to picking up the Polestar. I thought the P2 looked great, the interior tech was far better than my wife's ID4 and the standard range car was only 52k for good range and lots of interior spec. A similar Q4 Etron, Id4, or EV6 who have cost me close to 60k. I think a lot of people underestimate how good Android Auto is in the Polestar and how much range it has for a car below 55k. It's not an expensive ev unless you get into the Plus Pack which most people don't advise anyway.

If I was buying again I would look at a Model Y. I think they offer great space and attractive looks for much less money. The Polestar isn't for everyone. It's a good second car for Dad if you ask me. We probably wouldn't have one as our first choice family car but that said, I have two small kids with massive car seats in the back and the P2 has been great so far. It's perfect for the kids and a nice mid-life crisis car for me. I do think more people should check them out. There's no such thing as a bad EV on the market at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Sounds like a very sensible mid life crisis, I’d be thinking more Porsche 911 as an itch to scratch.

Review today from the tech lady on the Times

Tech review: The electric car with the high-tech interior 

https://www.irishtimes.com/technology/consumer-tech/review/2023/08/03/tech-review-the-electric-car-with-the-high-tech-interior/

The Polestar is about as much of a midlife crisis as I can afford. 🤣 I've always thought if I ever went back to petrol it would have to be a 911.

Good review and great that she highlights the Android Auto infotainment which is one of the best features in the car.

I actually think the Google assist is spot on. It works very well.

Hopefully there will be more of them on the forecourts in a few years time and I'm not fighting with dealers to try and sell it.

They’re nicely finished and good value considering the spec on the base model. Pity they didn’t choose to sell them through the existing Volvo Dealer network.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Mr Q

It is a bit strange that they don't use the Volvo dealers for sales. There are two within 30 minutes of me that are listed as Polestar service points, they could easily put one in the showroom too.

That seems to be a conscious decision the break the brand out. Purposefully, whether its to target a different type of customer than traditional volvo customer is unclear. Also if its working..unclear

Maybe an attempt to go upmarket from Volvo rather than competing with them directly. Bit like Audi and VW years ago. I think they’d sell a lot more of them through the Volvo dealer network especially outside Dublin.

Must be. An attempt to go upmarket is proof that even Volvo themselves don't think their cars are premium, at best semi-premium 😂

• Advertisement

Go buy anything from an X60 upwards and come back tell us the non premium experience 😋

Advertisement