Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where would you go next...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

mark the below is a cracker, bigger and more practical than the 3 series, yet has the same engine as your current car etc...

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=128689

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭MarkN

It's a lovely example, credit to the owner but I'd like to go up the years if I was going to change.

I'm just back from Audi North, their service really was fantastic from being greeted within a minute of walking in, offer of coffee, papers etc I was told they were very busy but if I was ok to wait 10 minutes someone would be with me, then as I was waiting someone who looked like a sales manager checked in on me and then I met a salesperson. I know like any business they're after my custom but it was just a refreshing service.

Anyway, I had a look at a lovely 2014 A6 S-Line, available on used PCP. Deposit of approx 10% would result in €660 per month. Something to think about over the weekend but going from €0 per month at the moment I'm just apprehensive.

I'm already adding things up in my head though thinking the tax on the 325 is almost €100 per month technically so it would now be €560 per month, technically :)

I dunno.......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've still my 530, you'd have it for a lot less than €660 a month. What's that A6 got under the hood, would she beat the 6 cylinder twin turbo : )?

I've still my 530, you'd have it for a lot less than €660 a month. What's that A6 got under the hood, would she beat the 6 cylinder twin turbo : )?

Unlikely :)

The cooling off period in my head tells me to keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I drove two S-Line A6s today, a 131 multitronic auto and a 141 manual, both 2.0 TDi. Found the multitronic annoying in that it doesn't shift as smoothly or fast as my current auto. The pedal position is a bit odd, they are centre and would annoy me after a while. Steering is light but very little feedback from the wheels or road from it. Both cars are sitting on 18" wheels and the suspension was noticeably harder than on my own car. Overall based on today's experience I just wasn't gone on the A6 and was happier getting back into my F10.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    I drove two S-Line A6s today, a 131 multitronic auto and a 141 manual, both 2.0 TDi. Found the multitronic annoying in that it doesn't shift as smoothly or fast as my current auto. The pedal position is a bit odd, they are centre and would annoy me after a while. Steering is light but very little feedback from the wheels or road from it. Both cars are sitting on 18" wheels and the suspension was noticeably harder than on my own car. Overall based on today's experience I just wasn't gone on the A6 and was happier getting back into my F10.

Agreed. I don't think any non Quattro Audi will come close to the BMW, even a relatively sedate 5 series. The urgency of the 177bhp wasn't the same as the BMW either in my eyes, nor was the steering the same. A lovely place to be all the same, comfortable ride, nice and snug the way the doors sit around the seats.

I'm currently looking at 2008 635s now. Seriously quick car but commanding a fairly hefty price for what is an 8 year old car.

I'm gonna try have a look at the 2007 A6 that I posted a few pages back as its half the price of a 635d and has the Quattro/3.0 boxes ticked.

Yeah the Quottro is probably a different kettle of fish but they are so few and far between. Two I were interested in where for sale in the wrong part of the country for me.

6 pot BMW diesels seem to hold their values well especially if being sold through the BMW dealer network.

I'd disagree I've a 6pot gathering dust with a fbsh, BMW wouldn't retail it as it was too old yet they'd a 2007 2.0ld non LCI for sale for silly money, in fairness to Kearys they were giving me €10k to trade it in, but bottled it and bought a 3.0L instead of a 2.0L again.

I'd disagree I've a 6pot gathering dust with a fbsh, BMW wouldn't retail it as it was too old yet they'd a 2007 2.0ld non LCI for sale for silly money, in fairness to Kearys they were giving me €10k to trade it in, but bottled it and bought a 3.0L instead of a 2.0L again.

What's the year/spec?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

May have been suggested but the 330e looks really interesting and an absolute bargain.

There is the X5 PHEV if you want more bling/space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

Definitely doesn't sound like you loved that A6 and its a lot if money to be paying out every month for something that's not your ideal. You've had a 5 series before I think and the Audi doesn't drive as well but I agree the interior is nice.
    Have you thought of a 2/3 year old jag xf with the 3.0 diesel?
    Fast and comfortable and not bad value now.

3.0 litre XFs are few and far between since they introduced the 2.2 litre.

Nice spec on this one but strong money imo given the mileage:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Jaguar/XF/3.0D-S/201214528426573830/

That one you've linked is well over priced but I have seen better value periodically with Charles hurst in Dublin. I guess they bring them from Northern Ireland.
    Wouldn't be my cup of tea but they are classy and refined.

Boss in work drives an XF. For that reason alone.... :)

You're right about not being mad about the A6. For that monthly cost, I need to be.

I'm waiting on a price for a 2009 635d at the moment. If I get a decent straight deal price then I've the hassle of trying to flog my 325 quickly.

I was down in Keary's last week and there was a fair bit of highly priced metal on their forecourt even compared to some other BMW dealers. They were doing me no favour on my car despite me buying it from them 2 years ago. I'd say they probably had enough fat built into the price of the car you were interested in, to allow you more for your 530d.

Did kearys not try and do a deal for you?
    Wee you looking at another 5 series?
    Maybe with sales up again this year attitudes are returning to the bad old days of them not giving a crap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I think it's supply versus demand at the moment.

Proper second hand cars are scarce, and going to the uk for stock isn't a runner at the minute with the poor sterling rate so a dealer has to maximise the profit made on used cars sitting on the forecourt.

They know that if the deal isn't worth doing for them someone else will be along to buy the car later.

That would explain why I can't seem to see any value in a used premium car. It seems to make more sense to buy new for lots of stuff now. Any desireable one or two year old is too close money wise to just going new in most cases.

OP
    Maybe that new golf R at zero per cent would be the most canny buy for you right now?

carsfan wrote: »
    Did kearys not try and do a deal for you?
    Wee you looking at another 5 series?
    Maybe with sales up again this year attitudes are returning to the bad old days of them not giving a crap?

Yep was looking at another F10 alright, it offers the best overall package in this class of car imo. They didn't really have what I wanted but they priced my current car against a 2 years younger lower spec M Sport they had. The guy I dealt with 2 years ago no longer works there so I was dealing with some other dude. Also they had plenty of used 2012/2013 F10s but most of them were SE models. They also had a nice clean M Sport but unfortunately it was a manual.

You are right though, the prices I'm being quoted to move up 2 or 3 years nearly makes it better value long term to buy brand new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

@Mark - Something to be aware of on a 2009 635d is that is was built in an era when timing chains were made from kids plastic toys so if you're looking at one I'd look to get the 2 year dealer warranty on it.

@Bazz - the 8-Speed auto in the F10 is very very impressive, but I do think that the manual is actually a very nice drive too. I know most if not everyone wants the automatic but the manual itself is lovely I think. Did you drive the manual M-Sport?

Might leave you more bargaining power if you liked it...

166man wrote: »
    @Mark - Something to be aware of on a 2009 635d is that is was built in an era when timing chains were made from kids plastic toys so if you're looking at one I'd look to get the 2 year dealer warranty on it.

@Bazz - the 8-Speed auto in the F10 is very very impressive, but I do think that the manual is actually a very nice drive too. I know most if not everyone wants the automatic but the manual itself is lovely I think. Did you drive the manual M-Sport?

Cheers for heads up, this one is in a BMW dealer so would get a full two year warranty plus option to extend it then. Anecdotally, a BMW mechanic told me a while ago he's never seen a timing chain go on a 6 cylinder one but you never know!

166man wrote: »

I had a 3 Series manual before and found the clutch heavy on it, took too long to travel before it engaged making it a pain in slow moving traffic. I'm happy to keep what I have at present rather than compromise.

Hard to ignore something like this...

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/11661641
    07 Bmw 730d Sport Fully Loaded *Immaculate*

If the electronics go kaput on that you're in for big bills...

I'm waiting on a price for a 2009 635d at the moment. If I get a decent straight deal price then I've the hassle of trying to flog my 325 quickly.
    myself and the bro keep an eye out on donedeal frequently, good condition 325's are rare as hens teeth, presumably as they are such a good all rounder and people who own this realise that and are hanging onto them, I cant see you having any problems selling it pretty quickly...

If the electronics go kaput on that you're in for big bills...
    Id definitely take the risk, you may not be in for potential big unknows bills with a new car, but you are in for several thousand on depreciation and loan interest (if applicable)...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

MarkN wrote: »
    Hard to ignore something like this...

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/11661641
    07 Bmw 730d Sport Fully Loaded *Immaculate*

Very easy to ignore now since it's sold :pac:

Gotta act fast when those 7's pop up that's for sure.

@IdBatter - that an expression of interest?! ;)

• Advertisement

@IdBatter - that an expression of interest?!
    unfortunately not as I already have a 2003 325ci facelift that I have done a lot of work to. But I reckon you wouldnt have it on your hands for long. The place a lot of many of us E46 owners would go, i.e. the E92, well the price for the 08's and up is a joke. So I reckon there would be strong enough demand for your car :)

Advertisement