Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robbery and murder in Sligo Town recently

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Is there an older brother in that family, would be about 40 now. Billy?

I don't know I just though the name and face was familiar from traveller fighting videos on You Tube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I have been following this thread from the start. I spoke with Eugene, many times when I met him on the street. I would talk with him about cars. Which is where I got my love from cars from. He was a genuine man, who most concertedly did not dissever this. Or nothing like it. The cnut that did this, can burn in hell as far as I'm concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

i've been in touch with some of the local representatives to let them know how i feel about all of this. i suggest others do the same. feel sick thinking this could all just blow over and fade away...

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

promethius wrote: »
    i've been in touch with some of the local representatives to let them know how i feel about all of this. i suggest others do the same. feel sick thinking this could all just blow over and fade away...

Unfortunately, I fear it will just continue - and when it comes to civic leadership you will not get it from them who, in my opinion, are little more than political gombeens.

The Local Elections will prove meaningless, as many of the Councillors, particularly of the bleeding heart or Marxist, view the Travellers plight in an extreme humanitarian light which results in perverse actions for example there is a certain local councillor, still serving, who gave a character reference to a Traveller before his sentencing at the High Court when convicted of manslaughter despite this Traveller being a well known menace to the public at large.

Many of these councillors have presided over the farce that is Connaugton Rd and as a result the criminality surrounding events that emanate from this little nest of iniquity.

The Executive, most notably John McNabola as Town Clerk, justified the Corporation's provision of facilities at the site on humanitarian grounds. It was rumoured they wanted a new site on the Bundoran Rd and therefore would not leave until the price was not right. What sort of country is this?

Only recently - it was reported in the local press - some poor innocent from Co Mayo that the temerity to car at Connaughton Rd and some inhabitant demanded monies with menances. This is but the tip of a very sordid iceberg of social depravity.

Is it possible we will get a missive from Bishop Jones criticising 'settled'?? community and its social ills and how it is responsible for the deprivations of 'Traveller'? community. His feeling guilty at the families living in tents in Ballytivnan etc - do me a favour.

Of course they all either were encouraged to stay in Sligo by bleeding-heart do-gooders and provided for because they are such devout Catholics etc:eek: Take for example the destruction of the Rocks at Gibraltar etc as a terrific example.

Breaking into a law-abiding and peaceful man's house and killing him is amongst the most grotesque crimes ever to take place in Sligo (aside to the sick Ronnie Dunbar).

There are plenty of local gurriers and low-lifes, but statistically if you look over the last 20 years, aside to the gangland Sligo murderers (which involved McGinley's brother being shot) -- there is a disturbingly high number of killings by Travellers per capital.

Funny how if McGinley, as appears will be argued, he is now mentally unstable and therefore not responsible for this actions - somebody had called the Guards to let them aware of Eugene's plight.

Although Kevin Myers is viewed as a lunatic by some as to his views on Traveller culture - his observations of the latest Simon McGinley case are illustrative of the dysfunctionality at the heart of some in the Traveller community.

Unfortunately, nothing that is said about the death of Eugene will change the fact he is dead. No searching for reasons behind the apparently guilty actions of the criminally insane Simon McGinley he alter his actions and bring a good man back.

Nothing can undo the damage and despair of these delinquent imbeciles who take upon themselves to attack innocent citizens in their own homes.

Rest in Peace - Eugene, you will never, die as you're always in hearts and minds of those who had the privilege to call you a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

Its time for the descent people of Sligo to take back Connaughton road car park. From when I first moved here, I found it incredible they could be allowed to take over a car park so close to town. The time for them to leave is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

red sean wrote: »
    Not likely. The PC brigade will be out in their defence.

No doubt this would be the same PC brigade(clowns), that rallied behind a certain liar and fraudster from Nigeria. Who actually never needed asylum at all. After all, she owned 5 houses and 3 cars back in her home country, which made her a virtual millionairess. Us taxpayers still had to pay her massive legal bills though. Of course the PC brigade quickly disappeared, once the truth began to trickle out.
    http://www.sligochampion.ie/news/stabber-is-jailed-for-three-years-1689266.html

Another attack in a house - never happen again eh?:rolleyes:

Pretty shocking article linked there. Now it doesn't take a genius to realise, that when you stab a person 'numerous' times. Then it should be treated as attempted murder. He got 3 years with 6 months suspended. Subtract 50% off for good behaviour (I think it's 50%) and you get a guy who served 15 months for stabbing someone multiple times. What an absolute joke of a justice system we have in this country.

This bit jumped out at me...
    He was seeing a drug addiction counselor and was going to AA meetings. He hoped, when he was released, to go into an addiction centre. He was asking the court for forgiveness and leniency.

What bullshít, it's like when you hear or read "Twas de drink yer honour". :rolleyes: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Problem is half the town councilors are also parasites!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

The problem is where should they be moved to? Will they be left to terrorise some other community?

I think they should all be rounded up and shipped to some island with no escape, and the councillors along with them. Its quite unbelievable that all these councillors keep getting re-elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

I wonder what was happening between the time Eugene Gillespie was murdered by the accused and last Friday when he decided to hand himself in to Gardai in Sligo?, those closest to this murdering low life would have had to have noticed something very different about his demeanour etc during this time, if it is the case that others were trying to protect McGinley and knew what he did then they are equally guilty of murder and should also be charged.
    It is very hard for people not to get upset and angry when they hear the name of the person who murdered this gentleman Eugene Gillespie, my understanding is that McGinley has come to the notice of the Gardai on a numerous of occasions in the past in relation to anti-social behaviour etc, one wonders why the corporation did not see fit to remove McGinley from his illeagal halting site considering the number of complaints they received, I would love to hear from Mrs Maughan who represented the Sligo Travellers on Ocean FM during the week and see what her take is on all of this.
    Perhaps our senior citizens in the Old Market street and town centre areas can sleep at ease tonight knowing this animal will not see the light of day for a long time to come. I think the Gardai and local authorities have got to take a more proactive approach when dealing families who commit crime in our town. God rest you Eugene.

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    decided to hand himself in to Gardai in Sligo?

No doubt this 'hand in' was by appointment by Gardai.

As in last case where a Traveller killed a Sligo man.

www.breakingnews.ie/.../ex-soldiers-murder-man-remanded-159323....

Same as this situation - same solicitor etc, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    decided to hand himself in to Gardai in Sligo?

No doubt this 'hand in' was by appointment by Gardai.

As in last case where a Traveller killed a Sligo man.

www.breakingnews.ie/.../ex-soldiers-murder-man-remanded-159323....

Same as this situation - same solicitor etc, etc.
    This one..

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=14981

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

And guess the who the chief suspects are in this very similar case.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0504/information-sought-on-murder-of-eddie-fitzmaurice.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

McGinley handing himself in is not a co-incidence, and nor is it because he was feeling guilty for what he had done. Its all part of a well thought out plan.

He's already been in the paper last week about disturbing the peace and violent fights with his own family, and the usual diatribe was trotted out again. 'Since he brodder died boss he havin aaaful truble copin wit dah. he taken to de drink'

Basically, blah blah blah, sob story excuse about him being traumatized about his brothers murder.... not coping and taking drugs and drink.... blah blah.... poor wee baba and gets a slap on the wrists for it.

I rekon they knew fine rightly he did it, and they also knew it was a matter of time before he got nicked and charged for it. Best suggestion they had was for him to turn himself in with the line of 'when we found out da he did ih, we mad him turn himsel in boss'. He's already been sent for a psyche evaluation on the hope that he can plead not guilty by reason of insanity for the above nonsense that's already been a column filler last week.

Don't be surprised if he gets a slap on the wrists and walks away from this one.

Boils my fuckin blood!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

The people of Sligo need to get-together in their 1000's some night, roll up some JCB's and claim that carpark back....GET THEM F*CKING OUT..................

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davebirl

I agree with Carson10. People of Sligo have put up with them long enough.

This Simon McGinley was jailed for 3 years in 2009 for stabbing another man.

http://www.sligochampion.ie/news/stabber-is-jailed-for-three-years-1689266.html

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Business as usual for the home town criminals yeasterday....their van was abandoned outside the door of tesco for half an hour blocking the entrance. I rang the borough council at 4pm to see if anybody traffic warden was available to issue a fine but nobody was contactable in the parking section office(probably gone home or it was this persons turn to be sick yesterday:rolleyes:) we are being given the 2 fingers by the council and the criminals!

i heard something about abuse being roared at them by a mixed crowd in o connell street yesterday. just by a bunch of normal people. i think it was something to do with that parking situation.

they moved the children out of the site on sunday night too someone told me, i did notice driving by site last night that it was very quiet indeed.

http://fixmyarea.com/issues/2836-connaughton-road-car-park-illegal-dump

http://www.sligochampion.ie/news/mcginley-family-want-to-leave-car-park-their-home-for-over-20-years-1859650.html

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=8295

If you are looking for change the Corporation officials and HSA staff and the Health Board Workers all the Gardai etc couldn't put Connaughton in order can't , won't or don't

Nothing will change - best advice just stay away from this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

Cycling into town today I stopped by and saw the wreaths of flowers and beautiful messages left beside the house of the recently deceased Mr Eugene Gillespie. A lovely, kind Sligo man so callously murdered in his own home by an evil parasite who I hope stays behind bars for the rest of his miserable life. R.I.P Mr Gillespie. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Absolutely heartbreaking looking at the photos of the funeral in the Sligo Champion today :(

• Advertisement

magnumlady wrote: »
    Absolutely heartbreaking looking at the photos of the funeral in the Sligo Champion today :(

yes very much so, didn't realise the funeral was as big as that.

very little about the crime itself, peoples reaction to it, or mcginley but i suppose they were asked by gardai / local reps to tone it down plus while he's admitted it he's not been convicted (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=22312&PHPSESSID=5b775da9e761c69ae467b014456802b6

Some details here about a vigil and book of condolences.

A BOOK of Condolence is to be opened by the Mayor of Sligo at 9.30am today at the Town Hall for those who wish to express sympathy on the murder of Eugene Gillespie, Old Market Street.

The announcement was made by the Mayor, Cllr David Cawley, at the October meeting of Sligo Borough Council last night (Monday).

Members also agreed to hold a candle vigil in Old Market Street at 2pm on Saturday afternoon next, October 6th.

Proposing the vigil, Cllr Marcella McGarry said she did so ''to give support and help people find some closure.''

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

bonzos wrote: »
    Business as usual for the home town criminals yeasterday....their van was abandoned outside the door of tesco for half an hour blocking the entrance. I rang the borough council at 4pm to see if anybody traffic warden was available to issue a fine but nobody was contactable in the parking section office(probably gone home or it was this persons turn to be sick yesterday:rolleyes:) we are being given the 2 fingers by the council and the criminals!

They were to busy issuing fines on a Sunday afternoon in a half empty carpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

One thing that really annoys me is how the travellers in the car park are treated different to the rest of us.

If I went up and left my car there for a week it'd be long towed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

They were to be shifted on many years back but the father of the family was taken ill and consequently a blind eye was turned to their presence and has been ever since.

One councilor in particular who expressed his condolences in the article provided by dingding was in fact instrumental in securing their stay on connuaghton road. No prizes for guessing the identity of that self appointed crusader for local human rights.

Candle vigils and book signings? The sooner the Town Hall is shut down the better.

What a sickening example of jumping on the populist emotional bandwagon.

Book of condolences - who is this for? Present it to Eugene's family? Are they going to stay no? They had a book at the funeral?!

Bree's response was to parrot some unquoted source that it wouldn't make any difference re delay.

'I don't like Susan O'Keefe' Cawley wittering in the Co Council about the Gardai response how great it was etc, etc and how they felt in Lavagh!

Cawley should probably give a Civic Reception to the wonderful Officer(s) of the Peace who took the call and took the trouble to cross to the road and satisfied themselves that nothing was untoward.

At least Fr Gillooly has the common courtesy and decency to echo the disquiet felt about the Gardai response. But no not these politicos - huggy-feely insincere rubbish.

They are beneath contempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

i can't understand for the life of me how any person who stabs another numerous times is ever let out of prison, especially when they have multiple convictions already, including carrying a blade on one occasion. considering guns are illegal in this country, a knife is the most deadly weapon a person can conceal and carry or use to attack someone. this man clearly carried one habitually and had no problems with using it to attempt murder, and he was allowed to walk among us freely a few months after nearly killing someone until he did it again and was successful.

if that man had done the things he was convicted of prior to killing Eugene, in America for example, he would never have been free to commit another crime, at least until he was very old. and if an emergency call was made about someone tied up in a home on a certain street which happens to be a stone's throw away from the police station, the entire street would have been thoroughly checked within minutes, every house.

gardai and judges and councillors, what do they get paid for? they can't protect a law abiding citizen from the criminals or uphold the law, why bother even having a gardai station or courthouse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I was very sorry to hear about this killing.

However, I wont be attacking the entire travelling community if a traveller is convicted of it, just as i didnt attack the entire settled community over other murders in Sligo. That would be wrong.

The perpetrator should get his just deserts. And proper and legal action needs to be taken to protect vulnerable citizens living alone. This tragedy should not be used as an excuse to spread bigotry and hatred.

If someone is convicted who is a traveler i would suggest it highly likely that travellers pointed the gardai in the right direction. I dont see how it could be otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

T runner wrote: »
    I was very sorry to hear about this killing.

However, I wont be attacking the entire travelling community if a traveller is convicted of it, just as i didnt attack the entire settled community over other murders in Sligo. That would be wrong.

The perpetrator should get his just deserts. And proper and legal action needs to be taken to protect vulnerable citizens living alone. This tragedy should not be used as an excuse to spread bigotry and hatred.

If someone is convicted who is a traveler i would suggest it highly likely that travellers pointed the gardai in the right direction. I dont see how it could be otherwise.

Nobody is attacking the entire travelling community. Just that scummy family, If for instance,if a settled teenage boy murdered a pensioner. that shows his family in a bad light. This is no different. The sooner them dirty cnuts are kicked out of Sligo town the better!

• Advertisement

T runner wrote: »
    This tragedy should not be used as an excuse to spread bigotry and hatred.

This tragedy of this situation has less, if little, to do with spreading bigotry but rather is a response the fact that a man has being killed in his own home, wherein a quite obviously dysfunctional human being, with a significant criminal record, has admitted to breaking into the house of an innocent man and resulting in his loss of life based on the less than likely possibility that there was a stash somewhere.

How do you know it was 'highly likely that travellers pointed the gardai in the right direction?'. In my opinion this is just patent nonsense and wild speculation.

Your post is typical of mealy-mouthed grotesque attempt at some sort of weird attempted justification of the actions of imbecilic delinquents who do this type of offence.

You can rest assured that alongside the offender's tragic upbringing and circumstances will be used to justify his actions. But irrespective of his creed, colour or nationality, this is a sick crime -- irrespective of the above.

Your post and based on your posts, appear to me to be typical of a naive, woolly thinking in short a delusional non-acceptance of reality and the menance that certain classes of Irish society pose to the general population.

Consider that a man's house was, without any provocation or good reason, invaded. Consider that a man was tied and brutually tortured and beaten. Then consider that it took the offender a week to volunteer himself to the Gardai -- what was he doing for that time! Considering his options. It hardly is indicative of any real remorse!

Crocodile tears, in public or in court, will be employed. But where have we seen this time of mock-sincerity to convince the naive or wilfully ignorant do-gooders that black is white and vice versa. In short this event is pure evil.

Do you really believe he was alone? That he over-powered man and could tie up his hands (single-handedly)? along with other atrocious actions that will come to light in time.

You Sir, in my opinion, are entitled your views but how is it you even knew he was a Traveller because in not one report was this noted. The fact of the matter is it is a well known and accepted facts -- much like the dangers that offenders such as Simon McGinley pose to the community, now and into the future. But certain facts and realities don't seem to really be factored in such imbalanced and wishful notions you seem to entertain.

Will those kind-hearted souls you speak of inform as to the full facts of what happened? The difficulty is Dead Men don't Speak and that's the issue that any sane person could recognise and appreciate.

Advertisement