Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robbery and murder in Sligo Town recently

Options
  • 24-09-2012 2:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Hope it's okay to post a link to this story, this was right down the road from me and was a horrible incident and I believe the body wasn't discovered till Friday so it won't be in the papers till Tuesday and just want to make sure people are aware, as gardai have not arrested anyone and are appealing for info.
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/attacked-man-lay-hurt-days-191320726.html

While I have always felt Sligo town is a pretty safe place, burglaries have been on the rise here in the last two years, and this is a pretty shocking and sad thing to have happen here that highlights the need to keep your home secure and keep an eye out for your neighbors as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

RIP Eugene. Shocking thing to happen to someone in their own home where they should be safe. Hope the scum who did this are caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Plazaman wrote: »
    RIP Eugene. Shocking thing to happen to someone in their own home where they should be safe. Hope the scum who did this are caught.
    This crime bears a lot of resemblance to the murder of Eddie Fitzmaurice in Bellaghy a number of years ago. Nobody was ever convicted of that, I think given improvements in forensics and the increase in cctv that thus one will not go unsolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think given improvements in forensics and the increase in cctv that thus one will not go unsolved

CCTV nowadays isn't worth a damn, especially today where the hoodie and baseball cap prevail. The U.K is a prime example, it has more CCTV than anywhere on the planet and serious crime continues to rise.

I think given improvements in forensics and the increase in cctv that thus one will not go unsolved

CCTV nowadays isn't worth a damn, especially today where the hoodie and baseball cap prevail. The U.K is a prime example, it has more CCTV than anywhere on the planet and serious crime continues to rise.

Good point, it also has the effect of moving crime from areas with surveillance to areas that previously had low crime rates.

Most nighttime cctv will not identify a person but it can read car and van registrations so maybe this might help them?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭MrGeneric

A number of raids were conducted this by Gardai in relation to this incident.

http://sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=22189

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭baldbear

Did the cops go to mr Gillespies house after they received the phone call on Thursday and find nothing untoward outside or did they go to the wrong house? The news reports aren't clear. I know the gaurds got a very sketchy description of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Anyone hear report on Today FM re this incident?

Anyone hear report on Today FM re this incident?
    http://www.oceanfm.ie/mobile/a/gardai_investigate_999_call_in_connection_with_murder

This doesn't look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

MrGeneric wrote: »
    A number of raids were conducted this by Gardai in relation to this incident.

http://sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=22189
    RIP Eugene.They raided the caravans in Connaughton Road carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Declan Bree didn't exactly cover himself in glory on the news yesterday evening when he said that not finding that poor man when the 999 call was received would not have made much difference as his injuries were very bad. Im sure if this poor guy was found 24hrs sooner it would have made a big difference!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Apparently 3 people arrested in connection with the incident this evening.Yet to be confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

really glad to hear some arrests were made, hope it's the ones responsible.
    i don't want to pull a Phil Hogan, but if it turns out that it was people from up on that car park who beat that poor man and left him to die with his hands tied behind his back, then that whole carpark should be be cleared once and for all.
    the 999 call had to have been made by someone who was involved in the incident, most likely a younger accomplice whose guilty conscience got to him, unfortunately it was too late. and anyway they either gave the wrong info or the gardai took it wrong, i don't think there are any gates at all on that street, all the doors of those houses open right on to the footpath.
    it must be so horrible for Eugene's family and friends, to think about him going through that. i hope they find the persons responsible and that they are punished severely, though that rarely happens in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

A member of a well known family who illegally occupy a town car park and have done for as long as I can remember is due in court in Carrick on Shannon today for this.
    The mans brother is still being questioned for it.
    This family are scum and everyone knows that.
    Maybe something will be done about them now, though it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

A man has been charge with this murder http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0930/eugene-gillespie-sligo.html

I do think its time action is taken with this family who are Illegally camped.these animals should not be allowed do what they want in this carpark,like they have for years now.

Eugene was a Lovely man passionate about his cars and at yesterdays funeral the display of Vintage cars and the huge turn out was a credit to to Eugene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

If anyone looks at page 10 of this weeks Champion they will see that McGinley was in court only a few days before this incident for numerous offences.
    Had someone who wasn't a traveler been up for the same offences then they would almost certainly have been jailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

So glad there has been someone charged for this. The unfortunate thing about this guy been charged is within his family are younger brothers coming up behind him who are just as bad and maybe even worse.

What's it going to take before they are put away? They are mostly involved in petty crimes at the moment and there is little or no consequence for them so do they have to commit another murder before justice is done?

sligono1 wrote: »
    A man has been charge with this murder http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0930/eugene-gillespie-sligo.html

I do think its time action is taken with this family who are Illegally camped.these animals should not be allowed do what they want in this carpark,like they have for years now.

Eugene was a Lovely man passionate about his cars and at yesterdays funeral the display of Vintage cars and the huge turn out was a credit to to Eugene.

Idiotic comments like - 'he would have died' anyways were truly pathetic.

Councillors looking for votes - so called PC Brigade, Law and Order sycophants. What a vista Eugene's death unleashed!

Sligo Corporation have facilitated this illegal encampment, eg provided toilets and law and order authorities permitted this long-standing situation to arise.

I had always felt Mr Nally's response in Mayo was over the top - now in my opinion I can understand people who want to protect their homes in such a manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

this could be it for them

promethius wrote: »

I hope it is perhaps it is time people power get the push to get them out the council/corpo have let this fester.there should be no fear of these people.us the decent people should stand up and unite.
    Henlars67 wrote: »
    If anyone looks at page 10 of this weeks Champion they will see that McGinley was in court only a few days before this incident for numerous offences.
    Had someone who wasn't a traveler been up for the same offences then they would almost certainly have been jailed.

a big problem with this sort of person is the use of the free legal Aid,it needs a huge shake up,they do not care about the system or the people they harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

promethius wrote: »

Not likely. The PC brigade will be out in their defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

red sean wrote: »

possibly sean, but a line has been crossed here. the murder of an old man living on his own for the sake of a few bob is as low as it gets.

lots of older people i know asking how they can feel safe in their homes in sligo when something like this happens.

elections for local politicians coming up in just over a year......

red sean wrote: »

not trying to sound harsh but this PC brigade and travellers should be told to f off.The traveller anti social and crime issues are now getting serious in this country now.and this discrimination card has to be stoped been played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Is he one of the Burger King Mcginley's ? ie Aney Mcginley's family...

charlemont wrote: »

http://www.sligochampion.ie/news/stabber-is-jailed-for-three-years-1689266.html

Another attack in a house - never happen again eh?:rolleyes:

http://www.sligochampion.ie/news/stabber-is-jailed-for-three-years-1689266.html

Another attack in a house - never happen again eh?:rolleyes:

Career criminal so, I reckon its a Manslaughter charge he will get, Hope they take his previous into account, It was a shocking thing to happen to an elderly man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Career criminal so, I reckon its a Manslaughter charge he will get, Hope they take his previous into account, It was a shocking thing to happen to an elderly man.

Murder according to this:
    http://www.rte.ie/aerteldigital/desktopxhtml/105-1.html
    and this
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-charged-with-murder-of-eugene-gillespie-568814.html

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭boiledsweets

That guy eugene must have died a horrible death,the blood supply cut off from the hands and legs would put him in a considerable amount of pain.

RIP to him

BTW,just heard the news that a 29 year old man handed himself in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Is there an older brother in that family, would be about 40 now. Billy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I drove past connaughton road car park this evening and their seems to be a bit of a gathering on...all their mates from ballyfree(the white bmw & range rover) lunatic gang are in the carpark having a criminal conference....there must be €150k worth of cars and vans there!!! Sligo borough and our elected reps have alot to answer for by allowing these dangerous criminals to take over a carpark in the centre of the town. Maybe Mr. Bree can come on Matt copper or RTE and explain how this came about??or maybe Tony McLoughlin can enlighten us taxpayers on this issue. After all he is after getting €50k+ himself for all his years of service in the town. Hard questions need to be asked in relation to where all the money came for for the cars/vans/4x4 etc..as this scumbag seem to have no problem getting free legal aid. Fair play to the guards for making an arrest as im sure they were also under pressure due to the 999 call. I think that there needs to be a march organised i town ending at connaughton road carpark to get the point across that the people of the town have had enough for these animals.

Advertisement