Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

{Aside due to popular demand}

Mr Xiney is pretty sure the store he bought the adaptors from was Cross Systems. The staff were really sound too - he phoned in advance to see if they had any suitable universal chargers and they said they should do, but to bring the laptop up and they'd test it in store to make sure it worked properly before he brought it home.

{now return to your regularly scheduled programming}

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Big_Mac wrote: »
    So are you saying its our fault we have crummy dingy overpriced shops?

Now you get me!!:D I did notice that a lot of villagers shop by who they know (and they charge them extra for the priviledge) and dont shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I think you have yet to see the supply/demand syndrome come into effect yet.

I worked for many years in the petrol retailing industry. Stations in Northern ireland were shut down because of the difference in price.....however the petrol staions on the southern side of the border were the most expensive in the Republic..... yes the Northern folk were quids in, but compared to the rest of Ireland, border based sites were more expensive than average Ireland site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Culchie wrote: »
    I think you have yet to see the supply/demand syndrome come into effect yet.

I worked for many years in the petrol retailing industry. Stations in Northern ireland were shut down because of the difference in price.....however the petrol staions on the southern side of the border were the most expensive in the Republic..... yes the Northern folk were quids in, but compared to the rest of Ireland, border based sites were more expensive than average Ireland site.

The closer to the border you get the more expensive fuel is. Its nothing more than greed that retailers engage in everywhere, and people are trying to blame the consumer because they want to shop around.

As far as I know Toy City are closing. I went in there looking for bits and pieces for my new arrival, and I also went to smiths. Now everyone knows that baby things can be quite expensive, and all the stuff were considerably cheaper in Smiths and it was exactly the same brands and models. So should I be to blame for the shop closing because I chose value for money condsidering the amount I was spending, and all because some greedy shop owner wants to charge more than everyone else does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Multi nationals always rip people off.

Now I am aware that a lot of people here were delighted to see Argos come here.

My dad asked me to get him "one of them brain training thingies" for the ma for Christmas.

He had left it a bit late so i went to the Argos website and they had one in stock, 179. Said that suited me.

Went in to pick it up the next day and thought I'll just check Smiths when I am in there.
    159 in smiths + 10 euro voucher + an accessory pack.

I will not be going in to Argos again in a hurry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Just so people know...Homebase is not closing down.An awful lot of people seem to have heard the rumour but its not true.

Not sure if that's good news to you lot or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

slideways wrote: »
    Multi nationals always rip people off.

Now I am aware that a lot of people here were delighted to see Argos come here.

My dad asked me to get him "one of them brain training thingies" for the ma for Christmas.

He had left it a bit late so i went to the Argos website and they had one in stock, 179. Said that suited me.

Went in to pick it up the next day and thought I'll just check Smiths when I am in there.
    159 in smiths + 10 euro voucher + an accessory pack.

I will not be going in to Argos again in a hurry

But if you look at the selection of hoovers, kettles, ovens and compare that to the selection around Sligo then you would be glad they are here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Morgan have just gone into administration in the UK, is there still a Morgan in Quayside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

It was just on Ocean at 11 that a store in Retail Park is closing but I didnt catch name.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Morgan shut down in Sligo a while back.

• Advertisement

gipo2 wrote: »
    It was just on Ocean at 11 that a store in Retail Park is closing but I didnt catch name.:confused:

They don't seem to update their website often anymore. Out of ten headlines, four are from Christmas eve. Irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

gipo2 wrote: »

It is the Tile Store (not sure if that is correct name).

Tilemarket and as a tiler I can say: GOOD! their adhesive was from bad quality and so were their tiles. The staff was not very motivated either.

Yep,tile market closed down yesterday..2wo seasons tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I thought it was really sad going around 2seasons yesterday.
    I think Toy City will be next judging by the massive sale going on there.

It will actually be a shame to see 2wo seasons go,Toy City not so much though.Havn't actually heard anything for sure but it doesn't look to promising for them as you say with that massive sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Tilemarket and as a tiler I can say: GOOD! their adhesive was from bad quality and so were their tiles. The staff was not very motivated either.

Before you say "GOOD" think about this.

If Tilemarket are closing down then it's probably due to a falling demand for tiles... and....if there's no demand for tiles.... won't there be less demand for you tilers!

Now, Think about that for 2009.

As far as I can tell, tile market was really only in the weekend warrior business - dads going home with big ideas of making their home a castle.

Real tilers would have steered clear of the place knowing what Mr. T knows.

(Though there's no real doubt that there won't be as much demand for tilers in 2009 as there was in the past, I don't think the loss of tile market is an indication of that. I think the loss of the building market is)

Jabby wrote: »
    Before you say "GOOD" think about this.

If Tilemarket are closing down then it's probably due to a falling demand for tiles... and....if there's no demand for tiles.... won't there be less demand for you tilers!

Now, Think about that for 2009.

I did think about that and I think their closure is due to very badly motivated staff and crap quality stuff, I'm more woried by Gilroy laying off people. BTW is still doing great, dont know about meahan and tubs and tiles. Besides that there is a tile market in enniskillen and they do a pound for a euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I did think about that and I think their closure is due to very badly motivated staff and crap quality stuff, I'm more woried by Gilroy laying off people. BTW is still doing great, dont know about meahan and tubs and tiles. Besides that there is a tile market in enniskillen and they do a pound for a euro.

As far as I know Tubs and Tiles have been telling their staff that jobs cuts are round the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Have Gilroys laid people off? I thought they were pretty secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Essexboy wrote: »
    Not in Sligo.....yet. There have been job losses in other branches though. Staff here are pretty worried.

If Gilroys start to lay off people then you tilers really are up the swanny aren't ye? I wouldn't think there wouldn't be a lot of sympathy for that particular trade as they have been milking it for many years now.

With the type of attitude expressed by above and the new found friends that they are expecting to find with your 'pound for a euro' deal in Enniskillen, then don't be surprised if 50% of your tiling buddies are on the dole by this time next year.

Jabby, I would quiet your gloating at the possibility of personal misfortune of a specific member of this forum - because I won't allow it.

I tiled my floors myself. I believe tilers earn every penny they charge. Indeed, I imagine there is a special place in heaven for tilers. :D

People are loosing jobs here, nobody wants that, but stores that offered poor service will get a little less sympathy from most people I guess.

sueme wrote: »
    stores that offered poor service will get a little less sympathy from most people I guess.

aka, this entire thread in a nutshell!

Xiney wrote: »
    Jabby, I would quiet your gloating at the possibility of personal misfortune of a specific member of this forum - because I won't allow it.

''Tilemarket and as a tiler I can say: GOOD! their adhesive was from bad quality and so were their tiles. The staff was not very motivated either.''

Is this not gloating about tile markets misfortune???

The key is we do not have a specific member on the Sligo board, to my knowledge, who works at the tile market. And even if so, Mr. T did not say "especially that Jabby dude, he was most unhelpful and I hope he has to go on the dole"

If you wish to argue your point further, pm me. No more in this thread, I think two warnings is enough.

Essexboy wrote: »

they didnt replace the people who left, and staff in grange is worried

• Advertisement

Jabby wrote: »
    If Gilroys start to lay off people then you tilers really are up the swanny aren't ye? I wouldn't think there wouldn't be a lot of sympathy for that particular trade as they have been milking it for many years now.

With the type of attitude expressed by above and the new found friends that they are expecting to find with your 'pound for a euro' deal in Enniskillen, then don't be surprised if 50% of your tiling buddies are on the dole by this time next year.

I wouldnt be surprised either, cowboys always go first so it cleans up the trade. I notice that I get less work from developers and more from people doing up their homes. I'm aware of the prices being very high last year but there was plenty of work. I had a good year for sure and yes it will be less this year. I look forward to more free time which I can spend with our son and our new arrival in may. Unlike other people I saved enough to get me by, I lived life within my means, so no problem for me (no gloat just fact).

Advertisement