Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

So is it my opinion or the way I expressed my opinion that you had a problem with?

Lets just say I thought your reply was a bit simplistic for such a serious problem. And yes.... I do not agree with your opinion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Jabby wrote: »
    Lets just say I thought your reply was a bit simplistic for such a serious problem.

I was just posting how I feel about the situation. I don't care if people shop up north. There's nothing complex about it.
    And yes.... I do not agree with your opinion.

Have you ever bought anything online or through a mail order? Ever downloaded a song off itunes instead of buying it in a local shop? It's more or less the same thing and lots of people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Anyone that runs a business will tell you that wages are the largest overhead. If you compared min wage €8.65 here to UK equivalent £5.73 (€6.01), you'll see why one of major differences in the UK/Ireland prices differences comes from. Take a typical small business that sells widgets and employs 5 people. One based in Enniskillen, the other in Sligo. €2.64*40*5 = €528 per week difference in the wage bill, thats €27458 per annum just for 5 staff!! Multiply that accross the nation, and it's no wonder we're fecked.

.....not too mention the crazy benchmarking stuff brought in for an inefficient public service.

Ireland Inc is uncompetitive....THE principal reason is our wage structures make Ireland uncompetitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

What a selfish and short sighted post if you don't mind me saying so.

1. How long does it take you to go up and back there?

2. How much does your petrol/diesel/bus fare cost?

3. How much is each hour worth to you? €10, €15, €20, €25...more?

Calculate all of this and then ask yourself the question... Is this really worth it at the end of the day?

I don't agree with the whole 'galloping up north'...not one little bit.
    If everyone took this point of view and run up to Enniskillen to save a few lousy pence, this time next year we would be looking at a Sligo and other border centres possibly resembling ghost towns with decent people out of jobs.... all for the sake of what?...The 'I'm all right Jacks and F**k the rest of you and your jobs' brigade who don't for one minute give a tu'penny damn about the longer term implications of their selfish trips up north.

This is a time when we should all try to bite the bullet for one year even. By supporting your local traders, we will be helping to save valuable jobs. I don't have a business or anything like that in Sligo and have no vested interest but I can see the long term damage that will be done for ALL of us if this trend continues.

For God's sake, resist the temptation of very short term savings and shop locally.
    A lot of our northern cousins by the way, wouldn't dream of spending a penny down here even in the good times. Some have never even been down here on a diesel or petrol run!

Happy Christmas.
    rgds,
    Jabby.
    Jabby i swear i could kiss you.
    This person speaks sence.
    I was in a local chipper in Sligo on Christmas Eve there. Last year i remember i also went there on Christmas eve,and queued for 45 minutes it was that busy. This year i went in to get my sister some dinner as she had been working when we had ours, so needless to say i was preparing myself for a long queue before i went in(incidentally,this chipper is the only one open on christmas eve apparently after 8,once p borza closes)I was surprised to see only 1 person in front of me in the queue as i went in. Ordered,sat down,and say the 'ASDA' ketchup vinegar and salt. Now this was hypocritical i felt of the business.I know that people wont go to the north to buy fast food obviously,but by even using there brands they are showing a negativity toward local business. I think its time to keep buying of the people in Sligo,particularly in single shops where you can,i feel,have a degree of welcomeness and a friendly word with staff and management. For example,ifi go into the likes of Currys etc i dont like the treatment toward you. These people dont care about the company as it isnt yours and have no loyalty to you.

Xiney wrote: »
    I'm sorry but from my perspective, I'm already having to bite the bullet because there aren't any jobs in this country for me.

So I'll save money where I can - and if it's worth my while going up north so be it. Bus fare is 17 euro if I remember correctly - yet if I buy something for 50 pound chances are I'm saving about 25 euro off what I'd pay for it here. If you buy something for 500 pound, that's a saving of 250 euro and it's no longer something to sneeze at when there's a recession on and everyone is feeling the pinch.

Im going to edit my post,was said in perhaps a bit of a 'frustrated manner'. All i will say is that i understand your decision but cannot see how people will help themselves or our government in the future. What happens,perhaps a few months or a few years,down the line when the pound is not good to us,those who have been going north have crucified local businesses and then start having to go to the north to pay more for what they would have been down here,had they pulled up their knickers for a short while and stuck by those who have been regular faces on our streets for years,or even hopeful men or women starting out,hoping to start a good life for themselves. It is reasons such as this i wont be going north of the border for any of my shopping.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Culchie wrote: »
    Anyone that runs a business will tell you that wages are the largest overhead. If you compared min wage €8.65 here to UK equivalent £5.73 (€6.01), you'll see why one of major differences in the UK/Ireland prices differences comes from. Take a typical small business that sells widgets and employs 5 people. One based in Enniskillen, the other in Sligo. €2.64*40*5 = €528 per week difference in the wage bill, thats €27458 per annum just for 5 staff!! Multiply that accross the nation, and it's no wonder we're fecked.

.....not too mention the crazy benchmarking stuff brought in for an inefficient public service.

Ireland Inc is uncompetitive....THE principal reason is our wage structures make Ireland uncompetitive.

benchmarking was always a joke to at best buy votes, at worst to do things in a typical lazy irish politician half ar*ed way

Simple economics using the obvious figures to target the scapegoat poor

middle incomes are also larger here than UK

eg.
    Senior bar staff here earn more than bar managers in London

min wage is not the problem
    wages are the problem
    min wage is a product of hyped wages
    therfore min wage is higher than rest of europe

Drop EVERY other wage; then you can drop the min wage!

if you lower the min wage and middle/upper wages continue to drive the economy
    How are min wage people supposed to live?
    You seen how hard it is to live in england on min wage?

btw even the tories mayor of london is calling for a min london wage of around £7.50(called a standard of living wage or the likes), which a few months ago when he first called for it was at least equal if not over Irish min wage

"Standard of living" as in even some of the tories who were against the min wage are starting to admit that the English one is to low in the cities (some of which are cheaper than Ireland to live in)

btw its also been written that 95% of business are not reaching their full potential(failing) due to incompetent owners/managment (written previous to current meltdown)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

elshambo wrote: »
    benchmarking was always a joke to at best buy votes, at worst to do things in a typical lazy irish politician half ar*ed way

Simple economics using the obvious figures to target the scapegoat poor

middle incomes are also larger here than UK

eg.
    Senior bar staff here earn more than bar managers in London

min wage is not the problem
    wages are the problem
    min wage is a product of hyped wages
    therfore min wage is higher than rest of europe

Drop EVERY other wage; then you can drop the min wage!

if you lower the min wage and middle/upper wages continue to drive the economy
    How are min wage people supposed to live?
    You seen how hard it is to live in england on min wage?

btw even the tories mayor of london is calling for a min london wage of around £7.50(called a standard of living wage or the likes), which a few months ago when he first called for it was at least equal if not over Irish min wage

"Standard of living" as in even some of the tories who were against the min wage are starting to admit that the English one is to low in the cities (some of which are cheaper than Ireland to live in)

btw its also been written that 95% of business are not reaching their full potential(failing) due to incompetent owners/managment (written previous to current meltdown)

Elshamo, i agree with you, and all wages should drop, starting at the top. I also agree with you on inefficient management/ownership (rather than incompetent) not reaching full potential. If salaries were calculated on work related productivity and profitability rather than a standard flat base then the whole country would be better off. Instead we're in a vicious circle. High wages are needed to fund high cost of living, high cost of living is making os uncompetitive, unhappy and loyalty with our consumer spend on holidays and now everyday food is now out the window.

A brutal correction is required in 2009, starting with the public service and all top banking officials and basically anyone earning over €500k per annum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

Last week Wallis in Sligo were asking £45 or €70 for a dress. This is not down to the minimum wage or the high cost of doing business in the Republic but to extortion. Yet the people who urge us not to shop in the North eg Marc McSharry ignore these ripoffs or speak about them in generalities.
    Urging us not to shop where we get lower prices is supporting exploitation and profiteering.

As for jobs for Irish workers: last year I tried to get a local electrician to do small jobs for me but he did not even return my phone calls. So I found a Polish guy instead. Now the Irish electrician has laid off his apprentice because he has no work. Will I approach him again? will I xxxx!

"As ye sow, so shall ye reap". Irish businesses and tradesmen raked it in during the boom years, now they are getting their comeuppance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

spoke to a friend of mine who works for the local council. I was asking him about the fact that a company from the North got the contract to resurface and strenghten the Sligo-Bundoran rd near cliffoney. He explained that the council have to put out these contratcs to tender and they obviously pick the cheapest tender and get the job done. Surely there are local contractors in Sligo or the surrounding counties that could have done the job for them thus keeping local people in employment and wages. If it is good enough for the council then i can see no problem with people putting their grocery shopping out to tender also and when Asda in enniskillen trumps the local shops her in Sligo then why shouldnt people shop there. The local representitives who are screaming bout being patriotic and shopping local had better get there own house in order before they tell others how to do it.

Also if you have shopped in the north you will notice a distinct difference in staff manners.
    In Sligo if you ask where can i find (insert whatever you want here) you are pointed in the general direction of where it may be and told that if you cant find it then we are proably out of it.
    In Enniskillen if you ask the same question you are brought on a tour of the shop untill said product is located and if not in stock they apologise and ask if there is anything else you need.

Make up your own mind people, I know i have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

frag420 wrote: »

Also if you have shopped in the north you will notice a distinct difference in staff manners.
    In Sligo if you ask where can i find (insert whatever you want here) you are pointed in the general direction of where it may be and told that if you cant find it then we are proably out of it.
    In Enniskillen if you ask the same question you are brought on a tour of the shop untill said product is located and if not in stock they apologise and ask if there is anything else you need.

Make up your own mind people, I know i have

I know! I've experienced that thousands of times. If I asked a question in a shop in Sligo I'd get a blank look and/or a dirty look as if to say how dare you ask me a question. We were looking for a specific thing in Tesco in Enniskillen, the boy we asked didn't know so he went to get somebody who came and told us where it used to be and why they don't have it anymore. We looked for the same thing in Asda's and got pointed across the store just like we do in Sligo.

Personally, we go to Enniskillen for the variety, full and clean shelves and more importantly the customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

If everyone supports their local bussines, no matter what, things will never change, the fact that every one goes over the border shows that there is something wrong here and that should be addressed. Most people around where we live shop accross the border even if the sterling is high, choice is better and custumor service is better. parking is free and we can park right infront of the door where we do our shopping! a luxury we dont have in sligo. And the shops are not in the centre which is a lot better, and if we need something more we have the option to walk into the town and get what ever. Dont really like the place but its more convenient then sligo will ever be with the shops in the middle of town. And if we really need new clothes or something like that we go to a real city. Its not that we hate the south for shopping, we go to cork, dublin or galway with pleasure but our shopping experience in sligo is always very dissapointing, we come home empty handed a lot.

greetings wrote: »
    Jabby i swear i could kiss you.
    This person speaks sence.
    I was in a local chipper in Sligo on Christmas Eve there. Last year i remember i also went there on Christmas eve,and queued for 45 minutes it was that busy. This year i went in to get my sister some dinner as she had been working when we had ours, so needless to say i was preparing myself for a long queue before i went in(incidentally,this chipper is the only one open on christmas eve apparently after 8,once p borza closes)I was surprised to see only 1 person in front of me in the queue as i went in. Ordered,sat down,and say the 'ASDA' ketchup vinegar and salt. Now this was hypocritical i felt of the business.I know that people wont go to the north to buy fast food obviously,but by even using there brands they are showing a negativity toward local business. I think its time to keep buying of the people in Sligo,particularly in single shops where you can,i feel,have a degree of welcomeness and a friendly word with staff and management. For example,ifi go into the likes of Currys etc i dont like the treatment toward you. These people dont care about the company as it isnt yours and have no loyalty to you.

All I have to say to that is that the same telly is 599 sterling (660 euro) in argos enniskillen and 896 in argos sligo, yep that is worth the drive for me and it cost me considerbly more time an petrol to go to sligo come home empty handed and still have to go alsewhere. sligo is a waste of time and petrol in my opinion. We wanted to buy a matress and had to pay upfront the whole amount and 25 euro for delivery, went up north and got it delivered for free and pay at delivery, and it was cheaper before the sterling went down!!! maybe they should look at these, I will never pay upfront and find that that is common practice in the south. Just because you all do, well not me!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

.......let me get this straight...... i should shun the big chain superstores(tesco,dunnes,argos,currys et al.) that overcharge in the south and i should go to the stores in the north that charge less(tesco,dunnes,argos,currys et al):confused:

why not boycott the stores that have such a huge price differential until they bring some sort of alignment pricing into place that actually reflects the economic circumstances of the whole island,btw i do a weekly shop in enniskillen and make my savings where i can,but i'll be fcuked sideways if i'd go into anyone of these parasites that are willing to take any profit at any price down south!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I agree with the last post, I shop occassionally in N.I but not with anyone who have overpriced stores in the Republic

Good riddens to some of the UK multiples who's only thing more inflated than their Irish prices were their excuses for charging more in Ireland.

When you have government ministers opening the likes of tescos you get an idea as why these things are allowed to happen and why there is no political will to force pricing to truely reflect exchange rates etc.

Take tescos for example, they refuse to show their balance sheet for Ireland, not cos it will embarrass us with wage costs, no, it would show their profiteering.

Having said that, not for the first time the Irish politicians sold Ireland a pup, tied us into Europe so deeply, sold away our irishness that gave us some hope of tourism and now we are so tied into the European Central bank, we cannot determine our exchange rates or anything else. Even the big arguement for EU membership is going, Dell and the likes are getting out. We are no longer the cheap, grant aided way into the EU, they'll hardly be back after the recession. I'd say you'll see them take the time out to establish themselves in other EU countries.

I hope we thrash the Lisbon treaty again and take a long look at whether to stay in the EU and a situation that we are so heavily reliant on other countries decisions, retailers and manafacturers, none of whom give a toss about Ireland when the going gets tough, or indeed at any time really.

We get the new excuse of being an open economy and thats why, if we were ran like any one of these stores or a multinational, we'd say, we got what we could out of the situation, lets get out and move on, and maybe we should look at realigning more closely with the US and UK our biggest markets, tourism markets and as much as we dislike them, the most Ireland Friendly over the past decades. Devaluing our currency would help greatly in the medium term

We might as well, impress the NI retailers, our politicians have been more interested in impressing our EU counterparts than their own voters, and to be honest, we were happy to have the Northerners buy on this side for the past few years.

Its also very true that many employers are jumping on a media-hyped bandwagon to use this as an excuse to hit staff, wages and duties/hours etc on this side..... very few are looking at their own prices and how they run their ship, its a great time to legally hit staff, and its going on everywhere.

Its just such a real tragedy for staff etc. The elections will be interesting next year but the alternatives so far are no better.

All I have to say to that is that the same telly is 599 sterling (660 euro) in argos enniskillen and 896 in argos sligo, yep that is worth the drive for me and it cost me considerbly more time an petrol to go to sligo come home empty handed and still have to go alsewhere. sligo is a waste of time and petrol in my opinion. We wanted to buy a matress and had to pay upfront the whole amount and 25 euro for delivery, went up north and got it delivered for free and pay at delivery, and it was cheaper before the sterling went down!!! maybe they should look at these, I will never pay upfront and find that that is common practice in the south. Just because you all do, well not me!
    Oh darealtulip I totally agree with you there. I hate to seee the British shops completely ripping off us here but then 40 miles up the road the customers can get a completely different price. I think this situation seriously needs to be addressed

Oh darealtulip I totally agree with you there. I hate to seee the British shops completely ripping off us here but then 40 miles up the road the customers can get a completely different price. I think this situation seriously needs to be addressed

Yes they do rip us off but

1.Costs are higher in Ireland and
    2.There is the point that a lot of the stock in the Irish stores was bought before sterling crashed

so they are not ripping us off as much as you think!

2.There is the point that a lot of the stock in the Irish stores was bought before sterling crashed

Alot of stock may have been bought before sterling crashed,but these companies bought them at the same price as they did up north,so are still ripping us off. And although costs may be higher,many prices are totally unjustified

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I see Toy City have a 50% off all stock as they are pulling the plug. Was in it today and people are doing next years shopping. All stock is 50% games etc.

bennyc wrote: »
    I see Toy City have a 50% off all stock as they are pulling the plug. Was in it today and people are doing next years shopping. All stock is 50% games etc.
    ALL STOCK???i am taking a trip up there

Alot of stock may have been bought before sterling crashed,but these companies bought them at the same price as they did up north,so are still ripping us off. And although costs may be higher,many prices are totally unjustified

er thats what i said

and BTW
    the point about sterling crashing is that the goods cost artifically less to US because sterling is worth less

the shops in the north probably need/want to rasie there prices to cover the worthlessness of sterling but obviously cannot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

anyone know what are the Sunday opening hours for Toy City?

cheers:)

snowdaze wrote: »
    anyone know what are the Sunday opening hours for Toy City?

cheers:)

I think it was 1 to 6. Isnt recesion great!!:D

[PHP][

It doesnt explain why sligo stores which stock less then the same stores elsewhere in the republic (pc world, sony stores, tesco, currys etc.) are cheaper with more choice. In sligo they just know you have to travel 2 to 2,5 hours to get somewhere else and they put that money on it. Cant see sligo retailpark prices beeing higher then galway and dublin. I think a lot of stores will lose a lot of customers by these higher prices to internet shops and ofcourse at the moment the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

This summer, our two laptop AC adaptors died on us (at practically the same time)

Went to PC world to get new ones - €150 each. I believe I started laughing.

Mr Xiney decided to go up to Enniskillen to see if he could do better. He ended up paying 30 pound for two of them. That's a savings of what, 90%? A bit less if you took the exchange rate into account, but, still!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

This summer, our two laptop AC adaptors died on us (at practically the same time)

Mr Xiney decided to go up to Enniskillen to see if he could do better. He ended up paying 30 pound for two of them. That's a savings of what, 90%? A bit less if you took the exchange rate into account, but, still!

Thats some difference, where did he get that deal I need a new one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Adams the kids clothes shop looks like it might be going:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7801952.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Hi Xiney,

Would you be able to pm me re the shop you bought the charger in? I also found that in pc world they cost 100 to 150 euro for a ac laptop charger! Paying that much for an ac charger is a disgrace!

thanks,
    tech2

yep could you pm me the shop aswell? need a new one too, PC world is a rip off anyway, I only go to look what thing are like and then order onthe net or enniskillen now I heard that!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ALL STOCK???i am taking a trip up there
    Yup, all stock. One of my friends got an xbox 360 elite for only €150. Unfortunately, they were out of stock when I went in. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Hagar wrote: »
    From an observer's perspective it looks like the shoopers of Sligo have closed all the shops in Sligo by shopping in Enniskillen and are now lamenting the fact and looking for someone to blame. Enjoy your cheap beer, share one with an un-employed neighbour.

I fear we are going to see this same tale right across border towns before long.

Oh, I see. So its our fault that shops are closing because we want to use the money we have wisely and spend it somewhere that we might get better value for money? tsk tsk tsk. Silly people of sligo.:confused:
    I did our shopping for a long time in enniskillen and not because it was cheaper but because you have more choice and everything is there unlike the sligo branches of tesco, dunnes and lidl and fresh, we had overdate stuff in the sligo branches a lot. I always found sligo to be dearer then galway and even dublin. I think the people of sligo brought this uppon their self and they know it.

So are you saying its our fault we have crummy dingy overpriced shops?
    As for Zavvi going, that lot (the parent company) will try to blame there problems on the global slow down but they were basically in trouble from the day they changed from Virgin, a rebrand and a lick of paint doesnt fix an ailing business

Its a shame because they shop in sligo is a nice shop and all (+sound staff) but CD/DVD sales are now an interent business (and supermarkets for the chart stuff)

Specialist shops are soon to be a thing of the past im afraid.

Anyone know there last day? there will probably be an everything must go sale

They lost their Media supplier when woolworths went to the wall. I doubt that changing from virgin to Zavvi made a difference as it would have been the same original supplier. Virgin Media would have more staying power than Zavvi
    What a selfish and short sighted post if you don't mind me saying so.

1. How long does it take you to go up and back there?

2. How much does your petrol/diesel/bus fare cost?

3. How much is each hour worth to you? €10, €15, €20, €25...more?

Calculate all of this and then ask yourself the question... Is this really worth it at the end of the day?

I don't agree with the whole 'galloping up north'...not one little bit.
    If everyone took this point of view and run up to Enniskillen to save a few lousy pence, this time next year we would be looking at a Sligo and other border centres possibly resembling ghost towns with decent people out of jobs.... all for the sake of what?...The 'I'm all right Jacks and F**k the rest of you and your jobs' brigade who don't for one minute give a tu'penny damn about the longer term implications of their selfish trips up north.

This is a time when we should all try to bite the bullet for one year even. By supporting your local traders, we will be helping to save valuable jobs. I don't have a business or anything like that in Sligo and have no vested interest but I can see the long term damage that will be done for ALL of us if this trend continues.

For God's sake, resist the temptation of very short term savings and shop locally.
    A lot of our northern cousins by the way, wouldn't dream of spending a penny down here even in the good times. Some have never even been down here on a diesel or petrol run!

Happy Christmas.
    rgds,
    Jabby.

Yet again, blame the consumer for the state of the economy and the problems that the business are facing, because lets face it, thats the easiest option. Its our fault there's no jobs because we have to be careful with our money
    Sorry I don't quite understand. What exactly do you mean by the best you can come up with. It's my opinion. I don't believe people should be chastised because they choose to save a few quid. It's more or less the same as shopping online or shopping at one of the big multi-nationals instead of shopping at an independent local store.

I agree, and if we were to follow Jabby's line of thought, we shouldn't ever shop anywhere except our local shops.

Shame on you Mr and Mrs Xiney for wanting to save money by travelling afield. Don't you know you should be supporing local thievery Jobs?

So the, to recap we should all be shopping locally and take whatever we are given. It doesn't matter what we think even though we are the consumers. Lets be ripped off all over the place with poorer service, crap products and feeble ranges, and we can then sleep soundly in the knowledge that jobs are safe, because we shouldn't be looking out for ourselves, supporting our local business are far more important.

Come to think of it, you should all have your vehicles insured with the nearest company regardless of the cost. That way we can all be sure that we have jobs for everyone else, but no money in our own pockets. Its YOUR fault that FBD is closing offices in the country

Moral of the story - Nanny State, do what youre told and like it! Freedom of speech and choice? Whats that?

Advertisement