Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Back on topic....Instore up in the retail park closed their doors for the final time today.
    It was just the Sligo branch and not the whole company!Shame the coffee is gone now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

We're gonna have to start a support group for the retail park staff I think. Those whose jobs are gone, and those living in fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

fozzle wrote: »
    We're gonna have to start a support group for the retail park staff I think. Those whose jobs are gone, and those living in fear.

Its crap. Good luck, hope ye get on ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

thanks big mac and bobcar for letting us know about toycity getting new stuff in, we just bought some nursery stuff really cheap for our new edition, ITS GONNA BE A........... GIRL!!! we had our scan today

Yaaaay! Girls are cool! :)

I had been living in fear for my job but I got the news yesterday that my contract was cut,no redundancies though but I'm not sure if everyone will accept the changes so might see a few people leave as a result.

how are ye in Harry Corry,any job losses.Do customers ever ask you when Homebase is closing,because we get it all the time and one woman today just didn't understand that we weren't closing down,"but I've heard you are"...well you've heard a rumour love!!And if we arn't closing,then we are relocationg down to Cleveragh....ehh why would that be a sensible move??

Oh and nobody ever asks us if Harry Corry are closing though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Do customers ever ask you when Homebase is closing,because we get it all the time and one woman today just didn't understand that we weren't closing down,"but I've heard you are"...well you've heard a rumour love!!And if we arn't closing,then we are relocationg down to Cleveragh....ehh why would that be a sensible move??

Did she hear it from someone with an inside source? They always hear it from someone with an inside source.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I had been living in fear for my job but I got the news yesterday that my contract was cut,no redundancies though but I'm not sure if everyone will accept the changes so might see a few people leave as a result.

how are ye in Harry Corry,any job losses.Do customers ever ask you when Homebase is closing,because we get it all the time and one woman today just didn't understand that we weren't closing down,"but I've heard you are"...well you've heard a rumour love!!And if we arn't closing,then we are relocationg down to Cleveragh....ehh why would that be a sensible move??

Sorry to hear that you have lost your job. I hope that you are successful in getting a replacement job. It is a terrible time.

I had been living in fear for my job but I got the news yesterday that my contract was cut, no redundancies though but I'm not sure if everyone will accept the changes so might see a few people leave as a result.

Urgh contract cuts *hugs* poor you. Yeah, people ask us when you guys are closing all the time. But they ask when we are closing all the time too, and they just can't bear to believe it when we say we aren't. But then, these are the same people who freak out when we try to explain that "just because Homebase are having 10% off day doesn't mean we are. No we are NOT the same company."

Did she hear it from someone with an inside source? They always hear it from someone with an inside source.
    Gotta get me one of those - apparantly they know more about my shop than my manager. These are usually the customers who don't even know what country our head office is in too......

Oh but of course she did.Even though in one of the papers it was confirmed it wasn't true a few weeks back.

The retail park will become a bit of a ghost town,most of the furniture shops will go I's say,too many of them in a small area.

Marie from Currys was in today,said business was slowish today and they have already had their cutbacks....hows PC World doing?

• Advertisement

Gotta get me one of those - apparantly they know more about my shop than my manager. These are usually the customers who don't even know what country our head office is in too......

I like those people,if they get smart with me I will get smart back with them.
    Lady told me she was going to write to Head Office of Homebase which according to her was in Cork,had to break it to her...."actually there isn't even a store in Cork,Head Office is in Milton Keyens".....oh ok then where abouts in Dublin is that..."actually love its in the U.K"
    Some people ehh...:P

dingding wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that you have lost your job. I hope that you are successful in getting a replacement job. It is a terrible time.

I didn't lose my job,just my contract was cut.From 20 hours to 16.5 which isn't too bad as I have more study to do this term for college and i can go out more often:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Oh but of course she did.Even though in one of the papers it was confirmed it wasn't true a few weeks back.

The retail park will become a bit of a ghost town,most of the furniture shops will go I's say,too many of them in a small area.

Marie from Currys was in today,said business was slowish today and they have already had their cutbacks....hows PC World doing?
    Today started off slow in pc world but really picked up after a while and we had a decent day in the end. I didn't know currys had cutback on staff. Are you sure it wasn't just the staff for the christmas period? If so they were always going to go once christmas was over.

I like those people,if they get smart with me I will get smart back with them.
    Lady told me she was going to write to Head Office of Homebase which according to her was in Cork,had to break it to her...."actually there isn't even a store in Cork,Head Office is in Milton Keyens".....oh ok then where abouts in Dublin is that..."actually love its in the U.K"
    Some people ehh...:P
    "I'm going to write to your head office, how do you like that?!" "That's your choice of course, do you need the address?" "Pah, you big English stores are all the same, trying to destroy this town." "Actually we're from Belfast, been there at least 30 years. And we're family-run." "Do you think I'm stupid, I know you're English." "No really, no stores in England at all........" :rolleyes:

Today started off slow in pc world but really picked up after a while and we had a decent day in the end. I didn't know currys had cutback on staff. Are you sure it wasn't just the staff for the christmas period? If so they were always going to go once christmas was over.
    How did I miss that you work there?! Pah, we've all missed so many opportunities for a retail park boards party........

How did I miss that you work there?! Pah, we've all missed so many opportunities for a retail park boards party........
    We should just bring in some vodka and then the lot of us get shítfaced on lunch together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 EL3CTR0S1S

That retail park is closing really early compared to 5mths ago

We should just bring in some vodka and then the lot of us get shítfaced on lunch together.

Meet you 'round the back? I've some Russian Standard.......

EL3CTR0S1S wrote: »
    We (Harry Corry's) are still open til 8 Monday - Wednesday and 9 Thursday and Friday, same as ever.

And trust me, you'll get parking.

No round the front is closer,in the corner where Homebase,PCW staff smoke,I used ta be one of them till 19days ago:)

Meet ya at 1ish,I might go on lunch then..:cool:

• Advertisement

No round the front is closer,in the corner where Homebase,PCW staff smoke,I used ta be one of them till 19days ago:)

Meet ya at 1ish,I might go on lunch then..:cool:
    Oooh grats man! But around the front means the danger of being nabbed by customers - I had one stop me in Tesco when I was doing my shopping and start asking me about ordering **** for her - trust me, there's a reason our staff smoke out the back.

EL3CTR0S1S wrote: »

Ehh how,we(Homebase) are open till 8 Mon/Tues,9 Wed-Fri
    Same as ever,I know Halfords now close an hour earlier during the week.

And yes,there is always a parking space outside Harry Corrys

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

"I'm going to write to your head office, how do you like that?!" "That's your choice of course, do you need the address?" "Pah, you big English stores are all the same, trying to destroy this town." "Actually we're from Belfast, been there at least 30 years. And we're family-run." "Do you think I'm stupid, I know you're English." "No really, no stores in England at all........" :rolleyes:

sounds a bit like the guy who went into your shop to buy a TV, becuase he seen the TV in the corner of the store (the CCTV),

<shakes head>

getting back to topic, any more word on zavi, no real confirmation coming from any where, apart from that they are no longer taking vouchers brought before november

irish-stew wrote: »
    sounds a bit like the guy who went into your shop to buy a TV, becuase he seen the TV in the corner of the store (the CCTV),

<shakes head>

getting back to topic, any more word on zavi, no real confirmation coming from any where, apart from that they are no longer taking vouchers brought before november
    They're in a pretty good position to be one of the five stores bought by hmv - they've no competition on their scale in Sligo, not like Cork/Dublin.

Sorry but I havn't heard much.I know a guard that patrols the streets during the day and he would have a good rappor with the businesses in town and he went into Zavvi and they had said HMV were looking at taking over the store.
    Hope its true because I have HMV vouchers and it would mean I dont have to travel any distance to use them

They're in a pretty good position to be one of the five stores bought by hmv - they've no competition on their scale in Sligo, not like Cork/Dublin.
    That's what I was thinking. Hopefully this is the case.

It must be true so,the two of us have heard this.I'm happy though if this turns out to be true,Johnston Court isn't great at the moment as it is but if Zavvi were to close it would become a real waste of space with the (one of the) biggest units in the place been vacant.

Oh and i believe the calendar shop in the same place will be going soon,if it hasn't gone already...surprise surprise:P

Wonder if any of the high street stores in Quayside will be closing or how are they coping or if that extension is going ahead or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I didn't lose my job,just my contract was cut.From 20 hours to 16.5 which isn't too bad as I have more study to do this term for college and i can go out more often:)

Good to hear that, I was not sure from the post. Hope things pick up soon :D

• Advertisement

Cheers,hopefully things will pick up.

Just glad I'm not joining the other 8.??% of unemployed in this country

Advertisement