Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

people's take on vegetarians and vegans

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Metroboulot

I was in what was supposedly a top class vegan restaurant, and as a man who likes me fruits and vegses and monocots and such, was looking forward to magnificent infusions to satisfy my eager-to-be-tickled palate.

And what did they have? Vegan sweet and sour chicken, vegan spag bol, vegan fish fingers and chips and vegan turkey burgers.:(

That's absolutely not a top class vegan restaurant. Sounds more like an unimaginative greasy spoon selling fake meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The actual ethics of eating meat however is a more interesting debate to me though. But that is rarely the one people have. The usually end up having the other one.

And not all meat is equally resource hungry. Some animals feed on terrain that's practically useless for tillage or can be fed on the stuff we throw away.

See what I mean :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    I looked it up, it's apparently called a pesco pollo vegetarian.
    So...someone who eats white meat only. Can't be classed as vegetarian then due to meat consumption, just like those people mentioned over the weekend in England who eat meat on a night out are not vegetarian either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I understand people who don't eat chicken who are raised in factory farms, same with pork, or beef in America where cattle are laced with steroids etc. But as someone who lives on a farm and has helped raised thosuands of cattle, they do have a really good existence for 3 years or so (sometimes longer) so I don't have any guilt in eating beef. I don't eat lamb as they get slaughtered at such a young age, I do eat chicken which is somewhat hypocritical of me but I do eat free range

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I love em, but I'd never eat a whole one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I believe in vegetable rights too.

So I only eat minerals

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

I worry about vegans, not only from 25 light years away but their sun has a circumstellar disk of dust, that can't be good. Only a few new, but how many more will come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Yodeling Snake

Lunatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

The day a vegan/veggie/pescatarian invites me to their house and feeds me meat because I am a carnivore is the day I will accept them all.

:D:D I want some meat now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I often watch come dine with me* and even the vegaterians on the show can be extreme - and when the guests go to their houses they have to eat vegetarian food.

This just in: Come Dine With Me chooses extreme people.

I've never personally met a judgemental vegetarian.
    siblers wrote: »
    But as someone who lives on a farm and has helped raised thosuands of cattle, they do have a really good existence for 3 years or so (sometimes longer)

Not all do. A farmer who was one of my neighbours growing up used to pipe loud music into his cowhouse to keep his cows from sleeping so that they'd keep on feeding nearly 24 hours a day. So cruel. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

The day a vegan/veggie/pescatarian invites me to their house and feeds me meat because I am a carnivore is the day I will accept them all.

If someone doesn't eat meat because they don't like the idea of animals being killed, kinda mean to expect them to prepare food with meat, no?

Down the years, I've had plenty of times where friends have made me meals I wouldn't really enjoy, meat or no meat. I would never turn my nose up. And vegetarian meals can be lovely. Sorbets, nachos, pizzas, all kinds of cheesy things, omelettes, lots of different desserts etc. etc. Yummy. I'd probably struggle more with vegan food, but I'd give it a go.
    Hatless wrote: »
    Wouldn't have a problem with a vegetarian not cooking meat at their home, when cooking meat is something that is a problem for them. Whereas it wouldn't make a difference to me to cook a vegetarian meal for them.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's the gluten free **** I can't stand. Vegan/vegetarian hating is so last century.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭MJI

I know some Veggies/Vegans. And I have no problem with what ever food they what to eat, that's their choice

What I don't like is they also tend to be "food snobs" And get preachy and up their own arse about it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't eat meat, what is the big deal? I don't go around giving lectures on it to meat eaters. There are plenty of food nazis who have their own opinions on food be it junk food, sugar, salt etc and yet it's vegetarians who get the heat. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Hatless wrote: »
    Because they probably like the taste/texture of meat but don't want to eat the real thing due to the animal slaughter dealie.

Presume you mean Quorn and the like?
    Linda McCartney's vile sausages, I bought a pack of three one time and ended up throwing out two. They are laced with salt and are far less healthier than the real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

mad muffin wrote: »
    What I don't understand is, why they want to eat food that looks like meat :confused:

Sausages look like little cucumbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Think about that.

I cook my daughter meat every day because its what she likes. So if people were coming over I'd have no problem cooking them meat even if it means doing a separate dish for myself, because i usually do anyway. But I don't like mushrooms, hate the texture, and neither does my daughter, and so I wouldn't go making any meals that include mushrooms, even if people loved the stuff, why would I bother buying them specifically and including them when we both hate them? Its the same with meat for a lot of people. Its absolutely pointless to include stuff you don't like in a meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Tasden wrote: »
    I cook my daughter meat every day because its what she likes. So if people were coming over I'd have no problem cooking them meat even if it means doing a separate dish for myself, because i usually do anyway. But I don't like mushrooms, hate the texture, and neither does my daughter, and so I wouldn't go making any meals that include mushrooms, even if people loved the stuff, why would I bother buying them specifically and including them when we both hate them? Its the same with meat for a lot of people. Its absolutely pointless to include stuff you don't like in a meal.

Add to that the fact a lot of long term veggies like me wouldn't know much about cuts of meat or how to cook it properly. If someone comes to my house I want to give them a decent meal so I cook what I know, what I'm confident with. I wouldn't experiment when I'm having guests over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

eviltwin wrote: »
    Add to that the fact a lot of long term veggies like me wouldn't know much about cuts of meat or how to cook it properly. If someone comes to my house I want to give them a decent meal so I cook what I know, what I'm confident with. I wouldn't experiment when I'm having guests over.

That crossed my mind too! I wouldn't necessarily be confident with a veggie cooking me meat, unless they regularly cooked it for other people anyways. Whereas I'd actually love to eat a really good veggie meal, cooked by an "experienced" vegetarian, who could probably introduce me to new foods and new ways of cooking that I've never tried before.

I'm not veggie myself, but tend to cook mostly vegetarian anyways, in recent months. It's just easier, since I split up with my ex (a big carnivore.) A lot less worrying about whether the meat in the fridge is still fresh, a lot cheaper, saves the ickiness of handling raw meat, etc. I'd still eat meat when I'm out alright, and have no problem with it on moral grounds. But for day-to-day, when right now I'm mostly only cooking for myself, I'm just not bothered with it really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I was a vegetarian for a long time and still prefer vegetarian food most of the time but only because I don't like the taste and/or texture of most meats.

I think there's a perception that Vegetarians are healthier but that's often not the case ......... I went out with a strict vegetarian for a couple of years and her diet was dreadful ............ pizza, chips, crisps, chocolate, coke etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sportstar583

I'm fine with Vegans as long as they know what they're doing. Some vegans literally starve themselves and it's disappointing to me. Also, I will never understand not eating eggs. Eggs are naturally made by Chickens and chickens have no problem laying eggs. Milk, on the other hand, is often abused by farmers and the cows aren't in the best conditions in some cases. So, I understand not drinking milk. I could never be a vegan though as I enjoy eggs too much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

More power to them. I could never do it myself as I like my meat and dairy. That being said, things veggie burgers and quorn are actually quite nice so there is great choice available these days. It must have been quite testing 20 years ago when there was less options for vegetarians & vegans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

It's the shifty pescatarians I don't trust.

How dare you. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Vegans need a good lump of steak to do away with their delusions that meat is bad :)

/gets coat !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

What is it with the all the threads about vegetarians/vegans? Has there ever been a thread on boards started by vegetarians/vegans criticising carnivores? I don't get the obsession with what we do or don't eat. I cook meat for my husband, I feed our cats a carnivorous diet, it's a personal choice to not eat meat, why's that so difficult to get your head around? Most vegetarians/vegans don't give a monkeys about what anyone else does or doesn't eat. Jeez, you must have little else to occupy your thoughts.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 squeezed_out

my sister is a vegetarian , unlike some vegetarians however , she knows that cattle in this country are treated very well and are killed in a humane fashion , annoys me when some vegetarians spread false information about what happens in meat factories etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

eviltwin wrote: »

Yeah; I wouldn't let someone who had never plastered a room plaster my house, why would I want meat cooked by someone who had no idea what they were doing?

Me and an ex got invited to dinner by a vegetarian once and he refused to go because she wouldn't cook him a steak. I went alone; dinner was delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

kylith wrote: »
    Me and an ex got invited to dinner by a vegetarian once and he refused to go because she wouldn't cook him a steak. I went alone; dinner was delicious

God that is seriously immature.

If I was invited to dinner by someone, I might perhaps tell them what I wouldn't eat. The main thing for me is that I really hate seafood, so I'd hate for someone to waste their time cooking a lovely seafood dish that I'd be forcing myself to choke down.

However I'd never demand that they cook me a specific dish. How rude is that? It's a friend cooking you dinner, it's not like you're in a restaurant and can order a la carte!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Haznat

my sister is a vegetarian , unlike some vegetarians however , she knows that cattle in this country are treated very well and are killed in a humane fashion , annoys me when some vegetarians spread false information about what happens in meat factories etc

It's the bit where they're slaughtered that vegetarians can't get over. I was a vegetarian for the guts of a decade. I never told people unless it was necessary because the reaction was generally negative. I always thought there was a bit of guilt involved from the people with the most extreme reactions.

Advertisement