Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

people's take on vegetarians and vegans

Options
  • 10-10-2015 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

I have always wondered being a meat eater and a lover of all things meat. Why do vegetarians and vegans dislike [to put it nicely] meat eaters. I often watch come dine with me* and even the vegaterians on the show can be extreme - and when the guests go to their houses they have to eat vegetarian food. And when the guests where in theirs they [the vegetation/s/vegan/s] was given there type of food..
    I am not as a individual again animal hunting but wouldn't like to see one suffer. Being my choice as I have said I love meat. But what do others think about the whole vegetarian/vegan era? [to put it nicely] [please don't bash me for being a meat eater!] :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Expect plenty of anecdotes of extremists of all kinds of dietary varieties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

There just extreme nutters....I used be dating a vegetarian and of all things why it didn't work out me eating chicken hadn't anything to do with it

Some of the veggie stuff is actually wicked nice and filling...some great vegetarian receipes on Twitter at times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It's the shifty pescatarians I don't trust.

I've never met a vegetarian who had a problem with me eating meat, and I've certainly no problem with someone not eating meat.

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with what someone else eats, unless they're insisting you do too. There are extremists, but they exist on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

IMO anyone who has a particularly strong opinion one way or the other (the fanatic vegetarians AND those weird meat-eaters who can never shut up about how they hate vegetarians) is the kind of person best avoided.

Eat what you want, don't tell other people what to eat or try to make them feel bad about their choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't understand why there are so many AH threads about vegetarians. I don't eat meat, couldn't care less what anyone else eats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What I don't understand is, why they want to eat food that looks like meat :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I don't understand why there are so many AH threads about vegetarians. I don't eat meat, couldn't care less what anyone else eats.

But what do you make of the survey was on radio that something like 1/3 vegetarians eat meat on nights out?

I'm not getting at you/vegetarians in general as I don't care either way....but I do wonder what like vegetarians think of other vegetarians eating meat from time to time??
    ^^that sounded worse than intended

But what do you make of the survey was on radio that something like 1/3 vegetarians eat meat on nights out?

I'm not getting at you/vegetarians in general as I don't care either way....but I do wonder what like vegetarians think of other vegetarians eating meat from time to time??
    ^^that sounded worse than intended

I don't know, I don't really care. I guess they are not really vegetarians if they eat meat from time to time, but sure let them at it! I go through phases of eating fish, so I never actually call myself a vegetarian really anymore. Haven't eaten meat in years though. Even when on a night out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

mad muffin wrote: »
    What I don't understand is, why they want to eat food that looks like meat :confused:
    I was in what was supposedly a top class vegan restaurant, and as a man who likes me fruits and vegses and monocots and such, was looking forward to magnificent infusions to satisfy my eager-to-be-tickled palate.

And what did they have? Vegan sweet and sour chicken, vegan spag bol, vegan fish fingers and chips and vegan turkey burgers.:(

• Advertisement

And what did they have? Vegan sweet and sour chicken, vegan spag bol, vegan fish fingers and chips and vegan turkey burgers.:(

Hate that shite! Was in a Chinese once that basically had a vegetarian version of their normal menu with "vegetarian" put in front of every dish. For example: vegetarian duck, vegetarian chicken chow mein etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Because they probably like the taste/texture of meat but don't want to eat the real thing due to the animal slaughter dealie.

Presume you mean Quorn and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Why do vegetarians and vegans dislike [to put it nicely] meat eaters.

it could be something to do with the ****ty threads they keep making, rehashing the same unfunny jokes over and over and over again, just to get a few "thanks" from their fellow muppets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There's a strong moral argument for reducing the consumption of meat. The litres of water, the tonnes of feed, and the gallons of oil used to produce meat has an enormous impact on the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Why do vegetarians and vegans dislike [to put it nicely] meat eaters.

Most vegetarians/vegans have chosen that diet because they believe it is the more moral course of action.

Like with all groups defined by their moral beliefs, there will be some in the group who feel compelled to try to convert/coerce everyone else into following those beliefs.

I have definitely had experience with vegans and vegetarians who had a problem with me eating meat, but I'm sure that equally there are plenty of people in that group who believe in an individual's right to make their own choices.

TL;DR:
    haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, basically. If you're vegan and a twit, you're going to be a vegan twit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't have a 'take' on them, other than to say that of the few vegans/vegetarians I know, none of them have ever lectured me or anybody else in my presence about eating meat, and none of them live up to the 'you'll know somebody is a vegetarian cos they'll tell you' joke/stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I was a veggie for a few years and vegan for a while. Fair play to anyone who can stick with it, I just fecking love my meat these days. There's some great vegetarian cafés and restaurants near me that are some of my favourite overall in the city. I love a big old veggie feed, makes me feel good to know I'm at least getting plenty of nutrients out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

My ex was a vegetarian from the age of 4 till she was 24, she went off meat when she was told as a kid where beef comes from and hadn't gone near meat since.

She ate very healthily, more healthy than me for sure yet she wasn't slim at all, her veggie cooking was actually gorgeous and ate healthier when I was with her than if I would at home, she liked her chocolate but not so much that she would be bigger from chocolate alone, never gave her a hard time over it, she was a beautiful person, never gave me a hard time for being a meat eater. I came from a family where if you didn't like your dinner we'd either get a clout in the ear to eat it or you'd go to bed hungry, there wasn't room to be picky so meat it had to be.

About 3 months before I finished it with her some guy shouted a slur about her weight at her from a passing taxi on Eden Quay in Dublin, we were in town catching a flight for a break away, the slur hit her like a ton of bricks and somewhat spoiled the break for her, I did my best to make her feel better, she went vegan when we got back from the holiday she had veganism somewhat on her mind from watching a documentary on Netflix about vegan's, it's called "Vegucated" but the slur in Dublin shoved her over the edge. I figured her weight issue might have been something to do with the amount of carbs she ate, a lot of vegetarians make that mistake where they replace the lack of protein with carbs to get that full feeling sensation but a heavier carb diet can put weight on you. I thought if she adjusted her vegetarian diet slightly to have less carbs, she'd have been fine. She liked nice big plates of pasta bake and veggie pizza, veggie burgers maybe a veg stir fry and she'd have that quinoa stuff sometimes. A fair bit of the stuff were meals that would sit in your stomach you know? I said I thought is was the amount of carbohydrate she was having because I knew a guy in school and he was a vegetarian too and he ate similar stuff and he was really big guy too. She went to the gym too but she is an academic and couldn't go as much as she wanted due to all her commitments

Anyway she went vegan after the holiday and she was living off soup for days and days and turned fairly cranky, passive and distant and I couldn't say anything about it to her without getting my head bitten off. Thought the vegan thing was way too extreme, like she was giving up too much and basically her personality went out the window, later broke up with her for other reasons but the vegan thing didn't help.

I do think veganism is a pretty insane diet, can't even have normal chocolate for God's sake. Have you ever had vegan chocolate before? Tastes awful. So many nice things you can't have if you're vegan, plus I'd imagine vegan products are either hard to find in shops or very expensive. Spare me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

Tend to keep away from meat when possible, but sometimes can't help it.
    Have eaten meat maybe 3 times in the last 2 weeks.

The most important thing though is fckers who think they can tell you what to eat, vegetarian or not.

Had this twice before - once actually ended in a ruined night, after a prick decided I should order to his liking.

If anyone in any restaurant tells you to order x instead of y you can stick a fork in their face - just pm me after and you have my word I will settle the court case and compensation. And in fact reward you handsomely.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

Simply put, as a vegetarian, if I or most others of us really didn't like meat eaters, we'd barely have any friends, struggle to find partners or even sit with work colleagues at lunch. As has been said, there are veggie fanatics as much as there are meat fanatics, each to their own I say :)

I can only guess that someone, somewhere decided that was what we wanted. Things like bacon/pepperoni with the fake fat colouring are just weird! Also, a lot of veggies are creeped out by anything that looks/smells/tastes too close to meat, so I have no idea why some manufacturers keep trying to make it that way when they should be doing the opposite!

Basically the only day to day difference between a meat eater and a veggie is that one will have chicken soup and one will take tomato soup with their meal. Or, we can all have a 3-in-1 and just get on with it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

I'm a vegetarian but eat a kebab on a sat night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The day a vegan/veggie/pescatarian invites me to their house and feeds me meat because I am a carnivore is the day I will accept them all.

Think about that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

The day a vegan/veggie/pescatarian invites me to their house and feeds me meat because I am a carnivore is the day I will accept them all.

Think about that.

I have thought about it.

It had little impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Traditionally meat was a luxury whereas today anyone in a western society can afford to consume it daily. I think there's an argument to be made for overconsumption, I myself eat more fish than meat but I do have meat no less than once a week.

I have thought about it.

It had little impact.

Ha I know. Closed mind and all that.

Anyway....

" Hi Joe, come over for dinner Saturday. Great thanks what's on the menu, now you know Mary is vegetarian, Yes of course no bother I'll cook something special for her."

"Hi Jane, come over for dinner Saturday. Great, Thanks a million, what's on the menu, well it's vegetarian, we can't do meat in this house EVAH"

OK........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Wouldn't have a problem with a vegetarian not cooking meat at their home, when cooking meat is something that is a problem for them. Whereas it wouldn't make a difference to me to cook a vegetarian meal for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I know a guy who claims to be a vegetarian but he eats chicken and fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Letree wrote: »
    I know a guy who claims to be a vegetarian but he eats chicken and fish.

I looked it up, it's apparently called a pesco pollo vegetarian.

Hatless wrote: »
    Wouldn't have a problem with a vegetarian not cooking meat at their home, when cooking meat is something that is a problem for them. Whereas it wouldn't make a difference to me to cook a vegetarian meal for them.

Nor would I, it's the presumption that's the problem for me!

A little effort from a carnivore friend now and then wouldn't go amiss.

I've had my fill of parmigiana melanzana and nut fekin roasts now to beat the band thanks.

• Advertisement

There's a strong moral argument for reducing the consumption of meat.

Yeah thats what I hate about the meat debate when I see it. There is two complete lines of argument to have. The first is the ethics of actually eating meat at all. The second is the ethics of how we produce it.

It is a lot harder to debate the latter - because there are loads of issue there. Much of how we produce it is unethical. Much of what we do - the stuff you listed - in order to produce it is too. Both of those are lines of argument too.

The actual ethics of eating meat however is a more interesting debate to me though. But that is rarely the one people have. The usually end up having the other one.

Advertisement