Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucinda looking for an unpaid intern.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

This isn't Jobbridge - it's work experience for a student or whatever. Someone will be lucky to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

budgemook wrote: »
    This isn't Jobbridge - it's work experience for a student or whatever. Someone will be lucky to get it.

She is asking somebody to perform work for her and there will be no pay offered.

Have I missed anything there? Is there some subtlety beyond that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

topper75 wrote: »
    She is asking somebody to perform work for her and there will be no pay offered.

Have I missed anything there? Is there some subtlety beyond that?

Okay fine, it's slave driving. Never before has this "work experience" been a thing :rolleyes:

If was studying something with a view to getting into politics I would be jumping at this chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Id do it for a few "favours" :D:D:D

Im so durty minded ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

If I was in FF or FG, etc, id get someone to take that job, then ruin her chances in the next election, leak documents, destroy her from her own office, but thats just my sinister look on politics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Do this lot not oppose stuff like jobbridge :P ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If I was in FF or FG, etc, id get someone to take that job, then ruin her chances in the next election, leak documents, destroy her from her own office, but thats just my sinister look on politics.

I had the misfortune of being in the same venue as a Young Fine Gael meeting recently, I just thought to myself god help us. All these poor kids were socially inept dorks.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

lawred2 wrote: »
    Yeah I would imagine politics would be right up there as a career choice amongst the scobes

Paul Murphy , Ruth Coppinger and Aengus O'Snodaigh chose it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

huey1975 wrote: »

Reminds me of Dads Army......we're doomed I tell you....we're doomed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

huey1975 wrote: »

A few always get through the cordons. They'll be rounded up soon for "special treatment" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Would they not be getting the 188 a week?

Isn't it better to be doing something with yourself and gaining experience than sitting at home going insane?
    No. You have to be available to work to claim. If it was a voluntary position with a charity then you might be able to still claim.

I'd imagine you'd have problems signing on again afterwards as you wouldn't have a P45 so not only would you loose the 3 months, you'd loose another 9 weeks or so. Worse if they consider you self-employed you'd have a snowball's chance of getting the full rate.

There is also the suspicion of corruption in the future. If the intern gets a job in politics fair enough. But if they get a job in the private sector and they get government contracts then ...

Anyway they should be paid , we don't want our politicians owing people favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Okay fine, it's slave driving. Never before has this "work experience" been a thing :rolleyes:

If was studying something with a view to getting into politics I would be jumping at this chance.

Oh I'm familiar with work experience. I did two stints of it to get going in my career.
    In both cases of course I was paid. Lowly, but paid.
    So far nobody in this thread has succeeded in answering the obvious question of why she refuses to pay for the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,831 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Rubbish , it's not work experience or anything like it. Or an internship. Look at the criteria she says a candidate should possess and also the scope of the role and the tasks expected. It's a job without pay and you have to bring your own laptop. No doubt some fawning eejits salivating at the prospect of sitting down in Leinster House amongst the thrust and rumble of Irish politics will be sending off cvs more then ready and willing to check their sense of self worth and dignity at the door....Lucinda Cretin is no different to the rest of them in there and possibly worse then most. No self respecting person with ideals of leadership and decency would even think about putting their name to this. Just shows you the contempt they have for Irish workers and how indifferent they are to the values of honest decent hard working people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Its an opportunity to corrupt the innocent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Lots of keyboard warriors here. Is anyone going to back up their disgust and email her?

Why? It'll be the intern getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Its an opportunity to corrupt the innocent.

I wouldn't call Lucinda innocent ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

I wouldn't call Lucinda innocent ;)

Neither would i.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smiley92a

Fukuyama wrote: »
    It's not JobsBridge so unfortunately they wouldn't.

The premise of "gaining experience" is often touted around when it comes to internships. In most cases outside of the IT/science fields the poor sod ends up being an unpaid admin lackey/slave.

They had a fair few in my old job. Manning inboxes. Answering phones. Doing the post. All under the guise of gaining experience in the "industry" but in reality they got next to nothing. After the first week they were trained up and had another 5 months of mule work. They weren't even getting their dole as it wasn't JobsBridge so effectively they were losing money hand over fist to be someones slave.

An unpaid internship might be grand if you have rich parents and still live at home. Many graduates are in shared housing and can't ask mammy and daddy to support them for 6 months while they go stuff envelopes or answer phones.

I'd love to see a website set up to publicly name and shame every single company that posts up stupid Jobsbridge/internship ads that are so obviously just a free labour scam with zero chance of a job at the end.

It's ridiculous that qualified people earn less than someone who left school and worked for Dunnes. I don't mean that in a snobby way either. Just in a basic economic sense. No wonder droves of graduates (myself included) would step on a plane the first chance they get.
    Work Must Pay are a group that picket business who use Jobridge. I'm not sure they have a list, though. I think the last one they did was The Porterhouse after it went looking for a free restaurant manager.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

topper75 wrote: »
    Oh I'm familiar with work experience. I did two stints of it to get going in my career.
    In both cases of course I was paid. Lowly, but paid.
    So far nobody in this thread has succeeded in answering the obvious question of why she refuses to pay for the work.

Most likely the party can't afford it. What little financial resources they have would be going towards their potential candidates for the GE. It would be a decent middle ground if they offered meal and travel vouchers so the candidate won't loose money by volunteering.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mzungu wrote: »
    Most likely the party can't afford it. What little financial resources they have would be going towards their potential candidates for the GE. It would be a decent middle ground if they offered meal and travel vouchers so the candidate won't loose money by volunteering.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2015/0120/674364-no-expenses-spared/
    Pay:
    € 65,443.50
    Expenses:
    € 17,120.81

• Advertisement
Advertisement