Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucinda looking for an unpaid intern.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭circadian

lazygal wrote: »

Bring your own malware infected laptop for use supporting someone in politics. This could be interesting.

I suppose they're alright for security though because no-one gives a toss about Renua.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭budgemook

Good opportunity for a student looking to pursue a career in politics.

The laptop thing is silly though for reason mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well for someone interested in getting into Politics this would be an good opportunity.

Agreed on the BYOD part. It wouldn't cost too much to supply the intern with a laptop suitable for the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Whatever happened to an honest days pay for an honest day's work in this country? Seems the working class are expected to work for nothing yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Whatever happened to an honest days pay for an honest day's work in this country? Seems the working class are expected to work for nothing yet again.

Forget the laptop, the most telling statement in this has to be

"Please note that the position cannot be made permanent, but may be extended in duration".

Does she have nobody in her own family willing to work for free or did they all tell her where to get off ?? Maybe family are only 'suitably qualified' when there's a nice wage packet attached :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

LOL I doubt this will be going to a working class person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Jaysus - she wouldn't even do the Jobbridge thing so someone could keep their dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

They don't half be in awe of themselves, do they. A slap of a three-week-dead haddock, she'd want. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

If I had the available time I'd stick in an application. The opportunity to see the inner workings in the corridors of power, of seeing Politics at work firsthand is very tempting.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,856 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I guess it's in line with their "fock the scobes" economic policies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

You could not be paying me enough to spend more than a minute with Lucinda!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I guess it's in line with their "fock the scobes" economic policies.

Yeah I would imagine politics would be right up there as a career choice amongst the scobes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Seems to be looking for students in fairness.
    Not a bad opportunity if you're into that sort of nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Now now people, you are all being wayyy too cynical..

Don't you know power is a lot like real estate. It’s all about location, location, location. The closer you are to the source, the higher your property value

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

gandalf wrote:
    LOL I doubt this will be going to a working class person.

Why? Can someone from a working class background not go into politics?
    kneemos wrote:
    Seems to be looking for students in fairness. Not a bad opportunity if you're into that sort of nonsense

It's a terrible road to go down. The line gets more and more blurred until employers start claiming that staff don't know enough to be paid and are there to learn. Then nearly everyone is a "working student" regardless of experience. It happened in other industries and there is absolutely nothing that can be done that's effective, despite the laws it's breaking. I would hate to see other industries/jobs going the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BYOD (Bring-Your-Own-Device) is popular amongst the notoriously cheapskate US companies, but they're discovering it's more hassle than it's worth.

In any case, the requirement for your own laptop is a not-so-subtle way of saying that they're looking for a recent UCD or Trinners grad with their own brand new parent-supplied MacBook air. Not a latchkey kid who's just left Ballymun Comprehensive.

No doubt you will also be expected to tog out in a freshly-pressed suit every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Would they not be getting the 188 a week?

Isn't it better to be doing something with yourself and gaining experience than sitting at home going insane?

sup_dude wrote: »
    Why? Can someone from a working class background not go into politics?

Of course they can, its just I don't think they would be considered the right fit for Lucinda and buddies ;)

The only reason they are looking for an Intern is because she no longer has the FG mothership full of YFG drones to take up a position like this.
    It's a terrible road to go down. The line gets more and more blurred until employers start claiming that staff don't know enough to be paid and are there to learn. Then nearly everyone is a "working student" regardless of experience. It happened in other industries and there is absolutely nothing that can be done that's effective, despite the laws it's breaking. I would hate to see other industries/jobs going the same way.

Generally I agree with you where a standard job is concerned. However for someone who wants to get into Politics this is an excellent opportunity to learn the ropes from the inside and to make an awful lot of very useful connections early on in your career.

This is not a Jobbridge stacking shelves, making sandwiches or changing tyres. This is an opportunity to get a turbo boost for a career in Politics or related to Politics.

JustTheOne wrote:
    Isn't it better to be doing something with yourself and gaining experience than sitting at home going insane?

JSB/JSA are for people actively seeking work. Bit hard to do when you're already unavailable for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

OldGoat wrote: »
    If I had the available time I'd stick in an application. The opportunity to see the inner workings in the corridors of power, of seeing Politics at work firsthand is very tempting.
    And disappointing in reality.

TBH, as has been said, it is an interesting opportunity for someone who wants to get into and make contacts in politics, but it's also very telling.

Most parties, when looking to fill such unpaid roles, can draw from the youth wings of their ranks, as this is often a first step in rising within the party and eventually getting onto a ticket for many young, aspiring, would-be politicians. That Creighton needs to seek someone from outside of the Renua political 'machine' would point to limited membership and grass-root support.

The BYOD criteria is pretty dumb though. Also very telling when a party leader cannot get their own party to fork out 300 Euro for a cheap laptop.
    You're forgetting the Dole, where you get paid for doing nothing - that too is not getting an honest days pay for an honest day's work. And, socioeconomically, the two are probably related, truth be told.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

gandalf wrote: »
    This is an opportunity to get a turbo boost for a career in Politics or related to Politics.
    My feeling is it might be if it were with another party...

gandalf wrote:
    Of course they can, it just I don't think they would be considered the right fit for Lucinda and buddies.

Sorry, I genuinely wasn't sure what your post meant!
    gandalf wrote:
    This is not a Jobbridge stacking shelves, making sandwiches or changing tyres. This is an opportunity to get a turbo boost for a career in Politics or related to Politics.

I'm finding Jobbridge are looking for fairly qualified people, but maybe that's just my area. There's tech jobs, programming jobs etc all under Jobbridge here that I would have thought would have needed a degree, or at least many years experience.
    Even at that though, isn't that a good reason to have at least some extra pay, because it's not just stacking shelves?
    A third thing is that the industry (equine) that do have many "working students" aren't Jobbridge and often claim what you have there. Except they're lying. You're stuck at the bottom and are used as slave labour until you quit/are forced to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Lots of keyboard warriors here. Is anyone going to back up their disgust and email her?

sup_dude wrote: »
    Sorry, I genuinely wasn't sure what your post meant!

I wasn't suggesting that someone from a working class background wouldn't be able or capable for a position like this. What I was saying is from meeting the woman and seeing the types that she has surrounding her it's more likely that a Trinners or UCD Grad from an affluent area would be the choice that they would make.
    I'm finding Jobbridge are looking for fairly qualified people, but maybe that's just my area. There's tech jobs, programming jobs etc all under Jobbridge here that I would have thought would have needed a degree, or at least many years experience.

Jobbridge is a majorly abused system and in reality if people are well qualified they should be brought in on a starting wage and not this system which may or may not result in a job.
    Even at that though, isn't that a good reason to have at least some extra pay, because it's not just stacking shelves?

That's my point. Shelves have to be stacked in the stores anyway. The jobbridge positions were replacing paid positions. That was a major supermarket btw who were named and shamed and withdrew the positions afterwards. People do not need to be "trained" for months to do a job like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Would they not be getting the 188 a week?

It's not JobsBridge so unfortunately they wouldn't.

The premise of "gaining experience" is often touted around when it comes to internships. In most cases outside of the IT/science fields the poor sod ends up being an unpaid admin lackey/slave.

They had a fair few in my old job. Manning inboxes. Answering phones. Doing the post. All under the guise of gaining experience in the "industry" but in reality they got next to nothing. After the first week they were trained up and had another 5 months of mule work. They weren't even getting their dole as it wasn't JobsBridge so effectively they were losing money hand over fist to be someones slave.

An unpaid internship might be grand if you have rich parents and still live at home. Many graduates are in shared housing and can't ask mammy and daddy to support them for 6 months while they go stuff envelopes or answer phones.

I'd love to see a website set up to publicly name and shame every single company that posts up stupid Jobsbridge/internship ads that are so obviously just a free labour scam with zero chance of a job at the end.

It's ridiculous that qualified people earn less than someone who left school and worked for Dunnes. I don't mean that in a snobby way either. Just in a basic economic sense. No wonder droves of graduates (myself included) would step on a plane the first chance they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Just submitted my cv
    Please can I work for you for nothing while you cream it in and live on the taxes of those who actually work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

And disappointing in reality.

TBH, as has been said, it is an interesting opportunity for someone who wants to get into and make contacts in politics, but it's also very telling.

Most parties, when looking to fill such unpaid roles, can draw from the youth wings of their ranks, as this is often a first step in rising within the party and eventually getting onto a ticket for many young, aspiring, would-be politicians. That Creighton needs to seek someone from outside of the Renua political 'machine' would point to limited membership and grass-root support.
    Been there, done that. Scrambling around a rat infested warehouse and nailing banners to staves was not the insight into local politics I hoped it would be. :)

Another way to view her advert is her being transparent rather than just handing the job to a friend/family/foot soldier and facing the ire of opposition calling her out on crony-ism.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not standing by her politics but the chance to get on the inside of any party in the House really appeals to me must be ringing bells in every political student in college at the moment.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Rural Ireland wants a hand up not hand outs!
    The position is unpaid and will last for an initial duration of three months, starting immediately. Please note that the position cannot be made permanent, but may be extended in duration.

#Renua

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

You're forgetting the Dole, where you get paid for doing nothing - that too is not getting an honest days pay for an honest day's work.

Except you don't get the dole for doing nothing- you get it for actively seeking work. In theory, anyway. Of course, people abuse the system- but to say people get paid the dole to 'do nothing' is not true.

The dole is an income support for those who cannot find work. It's not a payment, or a living wage. The dole office is not paying you to 'do nothing'- it's providing you with an income when you can't get paid work and are seeking employment. To suggest otherwise supports the myth that all dole recipients are sitting around all day 'doing nothing' and getting paid for it.

You can't just go into the social welfare office and claim it for 'doing nothing'. You have to be a job-seeker. There is a difference there, despite some people taking advantage of the system. That's why you have to fulfill the requirements of being fully available for work while in receipt of JSA or JSB.

In any case, the existence of the social welfare system does not excuse the existence of internships, although it comes in quite handy for employers looking to justify their internship schemes- "Sure, the unemployed are sitting around all day- better give them something to do!"- when they could just pay them for the work that would be done as part of an internship.

I appreciate that the Social Welfare department themselves, in supporting private companies' exploitation of the unemployed by allowing them access to free labour via internships, have confused the entire issue as one is not actively seeking work when they are 'interning' for 40 hours a week stacking shelves, but I don't think it's fair that the unemployed should be punished for Social Welfare's incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Dr.Internet

Good, our higher ups could do with a few more slaves

they should start drafting people for slaveships

We could sell them to other countries

Profit $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Advertisement