Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the most depressing looking town in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Even by midlands standards, Moate is particularly grim. Not that anyone has had any reason to pass through it since it was bypassed. Is it still there, or have they had the decency to humanely destroy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Newcastle West is a depressing kip. One good feature is that most people bypass it and don't have to stop there.
    Lisdoonvarna is a godawful hole to be stuck in while trying to hitch a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Middleton,Cork.
    My car broke down there in early '90s,spent two days trying to escape the fcukin place.
    Some sh1thole.

Oh,and Naas aswell,soulless dive full of unpleasant people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

efb wrote: »
    What is it if it isn't a town? Its as big as over half the places mentioned here.

Your answer is in the title of the thread.

If you want to start a thread about the most depressing suburb in Ireland feel free to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Reported for racism :pac:

Cork is one of the least depressing places in Ireland tbh.

Mountmellick gets my vote, glad someone mentioned it.

Stopped there on a drive up the country for a bite to eat, only nothing was open. NOTHING. At 2pm. On a Tuesday.

I mentioned Mountmellick on page 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Middleton,Cork.
    My car broke down there in early '90s,spent two days trying to escape the fcukin place.
    Some sh1thole.

Was it really that bad back then? It's a nice enough place now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Sligo, I can't think of any reason to go there.

Really? Have you ever been to Sligo? I must say I have never met anyone who has actually been to Sligo say they didn't like it, in fact they have only ever had positives to say about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Tramore in high season when it's full of dubs, shocking place. Nice during the winter but little to do other than walk on the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Dungarvan
    Edenderry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Kilmacow is an awful kip. If you drive through it when its raining you come out the otherside with clinical depression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Ahascragh County Galway

Lot of derelict buildings. What a kip

And the next town is Ballinasloe!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Really? Have you ever been to Sligo? I must say I have never met anyone who has actually been to Sligo say they didn't like it, in fact they have only ever had positives to say about it.

I don't have any grá for Sligo, I find it an unfriendly kip to be honest. The only reason I'd go is for a match and even them, it's in and out as quick as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sligo was alright in my book the few times I stayed in it, bit of life and culture to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mallow Co Cork is a kip.

everything from business to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Tipperary Town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Ok Tipp town has been mentioned several times now , can we have a referendum to get the place nuked? , if you're reading this and from Tipp town , sorry ...., although on second thoughts if you are actually reading and can use a computer you're probably not from Tipp town .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Been a few times. Thankfully never had to stay the full day as I get bored there after 10 mins. It is like being in a small town except it isnt that small and yet the town hasnt realised yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I'm a bit surprised that towns like Wexford, Borris and Mhuine Beag/Bagnalstown have not been mentioned yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

Carrickmacross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Castledermot is one of the biggest sh!tholes I have ever been in, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

Kilcock, a land that time forgot. Awful abandoned factory in middle of the town.

Pettigo, Donegal/Fermanagh border derelict town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised that towns like Wexford, Borris and Mhuine Beag/Bagnalstown have not been mentioned yet.

Those are all nice places to visit. Probably why they havent been mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Headford Co. Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

It's no coincidence that almost every town mentioned is either in the midlands or the west. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Anywhere in Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Clogheen may not be the most cosmopolitan of places, but imagine having this view outside your living room window...https://www.google.com/maps/@52.275178,-7.994713,3a,75y,178.55h,88.39t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s1zHQbJn7XUbNy4aVLFr45A!2e0?hl=en

Yeah. The real crapholes in Ireland are in the flat midlands. Any place with a view of a mountain, lake or sea has redeeming qualities. So I don't get the hatred for Waterford, Cobh, Youghal etc.

Mullingar and athlone,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

Cant believe clonakilty was mentioned, a lovely town.

• Advertisement

oh navan as well can't think of anything nice about the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Castleisland in Kerry was depressing before they bypassed it. Traffic jam nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

GarIT wrote: »
    Longford town is fairly bad but nothing compares to Waterford. Waterford is the most run down place I have ever been their 'historical sites' are an embarrassment but the thing that really seals the deal is the people. The people of Waterford ensure that no new businesses come to the area and then claim the government is conspiring against them. Waterford residents have protested places like new look and H&M coming to the town because 'we already have xyz's lady's fashion shop and H&M would put her out of business' well xyz hasn't seen fashion since 1970 and refuses anything shorter than ankle length or jeans because that is sinful. These people have also protested against every supermarket because they are putting local shops out of business and complain about how they have no jobs. Before people call Waterford a city, 1 it's population isn't large enough and 2 they don't have a university, you might claim there is a uni but there isn't, every year WIT applies to be a uni, and every year they are told no.

What proves my point about Waterford's people is that it was the only place really defended here and one of it's residents actually said feck.

The reason people are defending it is because the description you give is nothing like how it actually is.

If Waterford City is the most run down place you have ever been, I doubt you've been very far at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Rathkeale Co Limerick without a doubt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Prosperous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

realies wrote: »
    Your answer is in the title of the thread.

If you want to start a thread about the most depressing suburb in Ireland feel free to do so.

OK teacher :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Hasn't been mentioned as were all too scared to even go there... Boss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

mickeyk wrote: »
    Agree with Carrick on suit and Tipp town but, Waterford, Limerick and cahir are fine places, no worse than anywhere else

Would disagree with Carrick. Socially depressed maybe but has far nicer outdoor green areas and riverside spaces of bigger towns.

And no, I don't live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

This may be very unpopular, But I think Tramore is depressing as hell. I'm from Waterford myself so I've been there on numerous occasions.I hate the amusement park,it's a rip off and people have been killed on some of the rides in the past, It's disgusting to see long lines of people waiting in a line outside the chipper, there are so many eyesore's including the stupid toilets that look like a church, the ugly caravan park. tramore is tacky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

There's a reason why it was the first town bypassed on the n21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Middleton,Cork.
    Some sh1thole.

Oh,and Naas aswell,soulless dive full of unpleasant people.

Very true, you'd find more personality in a f*ucking parsnip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

MOst of the smaller towns in the Cavan area are pretty grim with faded signage and "Closing Down Sale" posters plastered everywhere.

It gave the impression of being very grim and grey and that everything was tough in life. A serious lack of vibrancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Thomas D wrote: »
    Prosperous.

Such an ironic name too.

My vote is Mountmellick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Mitchelstown.

Mallow Co Cork is a kip.

everything from business to people.

I wouldn't Mallow is particularly depressing to look at (some nice spots by the river and the castle, and the clock house would be lovely if it was done up properly) but it's a fairly grim place to be stuck in alright. There's never any buzz about the place and a load of businesses have been closing down, even places that have (had) been there for years.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    Starting with Waterford an awful sh1tbox of a place and the people are as bad as the blaaaa. Moving on to clonmel via Carrick on sewer and further to cahir and tipp town and finishing the journey of misery in the daddy of gloom limerick.

I don't see how anyone could call Cahir depressing looking. Maybe it's boring to live in but when you're just passing through it's quite a pretty town to look at.

And while Waterford is admittedly a bit dull for a city at least the parts by the river are lovely to walk around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Right this thread has to be closed so the OP can go through every page and find out the top 3 sh!te towns that have been mentioned.

Be interesting to see which one got mentioned the most. Right OP off you go we shall all wait for you to report back with your findings :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Best town is Carlingford!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

Cobh and Tipp town.

Waterford has so much potential and is slowly improving. No way is it a city though, same with Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Reported for racism :pac:

Cork is one of the least depressing places in Ireland tbh.

Mountmellick gets my vote, glad someone mentioned it.

Stopped there on a drive up the country for a bite to eat, only nothing was open. NOTHING. At 2pm. On a Tuesday.
    Surely the dole office was open. It's the thriving industry there.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Longford. The place actually scares the shyte out of me and thats just driving through it scared that the car might break down. Got pulled by the Garda for saying the rosary behind the wheel.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement