Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the most depressing looking town in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

New Ross, bad enough bekfre the boom, and they took every opportunity they could to fnk it up even more during.

Ballinrobe, co. Mayo.

There isn't anyone below the age of 40 left in the town.

That's a positive :-)

anto9 wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned Enniscorthy yet .Somebody mentioned Rosslare which at least is by a beautiful beach .

Jesus, I thought enniscorthy was a nice spot although I've only ever passed through it.

Rosslare used to be nice but overdone in the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Merrion

Bray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Samsgirl wrote: »
    It's a city

And not a very good one at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,349 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Starting with Waterford an awful sh1tbox of a place and the people are as bad as the blaaaa. Moving on to clonmel via Carrick on sewer and further to cahir and tipp town and finishing the journey of misery in the daddy of gloom limerick.

Fack off

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

Drogheda.

I've emigrated from it but every time I come home it gets more and more depressing looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

^Its the accent of Drogheda and Navan people i dont like .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Tipp town could be levelled in the morning and no-one would notice, or care.

Portarlington looks like something from Communist-era Yugoslavia. It's natural gene pool of feral rednecks has been diluted by Dubs who thought they were buying 'cheap houses' during the boom.

Ballyhaunis, techincally in Mayo, though neither they nor Roscommon want to claim ownership of it, looks like someone pressed pause sometime in 1976. Not just on the look of the place, but also on the surfacing of roads, and general mindset of everyone in the place. See also Castlerea.

New Ross cannot be bypassed quickly enough. Any town where the main pastime of its populace is hitting each other over the head with rocks and endeavouring to invent fire is not for me. Also, does anyone have any statistics to back up my theory that New Ross has more redheads than anywhere else in the country?

Balbriggan. No explanation needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Tralee and Ardfert in Kerry two more dives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Longford town is fairly bad but nothing compares to Waterford. Waterford is the most run down place I have ever been their 'historical sites' are an embarrassment but the thing that really seals the deal is the people. The people of Waterford ensure that no new businesses come to the area and then claim the government is conspiring against them. Waterford residents have protested places like new look and H&M coming to the town because 'we already have xyz's lady's fashion shop and H&M would put her out of business' well xyz hasn't seen fashion since 1970 and refuses anything shorter than ankle length or jeans because that is sinful. These people have also protested against every supermarket because they are putting local shops out of business and complain about how they have no jobs. Before people call Waterford a city, 1 it's population isn't large enough and 2 they don't have a university, you might claim there is a uni but there isn't, every year WIT applies to be a uni, and every year they are told no.

What proves my point about Waterford's people is that it was the only place really defended here and one of it's residents actually said feck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

realies wrote: »
    Since when did ballyfermot become a town ?

What is it if it isn't a town? Its as big as over half the places mentioned here.

But Its stuck in 1975 or something it looks so grim- and the Bingo hall being the centre of attraction. All the bashed up shutters covered in graffiti and the urchins walking by- It was the only town I didn't feel safe in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Tipp town could be levelled in the morning and no-one would notice, or care.

Portarlington looks like something from Communist-era Yugoslavia. It's natural gene pool of feral rednecks has been diluted by Dubs who thought they were buying 'cheap houses' during the boom.

Ballyhaunis, techincally in Mayo, though neither they nor Roscommon want to claim ownership of it, looks like someone pressed pause sometime in 1976. Not just on the look of the place, but also on the surfacing of roads, and general mindset of everyone in the place. See also Castlerea.

New Ross cannot be bypassed quickly enough. Any town where the main pastime of its populace is hitting each other over the head with rocks and endeavouring to invent fire is not for me. Also, does anyone have any statistics to back up my theory that New Ross has more redheads than anywhere else in the country?

Balbriggan. No explanation needed.

Scobey dubs too- I preferred it before the dubs arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

efb wrote: »
    Scobey dubs too- I preferred it before the dubs arrived

That was my point, should probably have phrased it better. In the next fifteen years that town is going to be like the alternate universe in Back To The Future where Biff owned the town after winning all the money on sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Castletownbere...

Most shops are like going back in time, Quare smell of fish around the place. It's the most boring/depressing town I'v been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Ballinasloe is a long town of misery. Toothless idiots huddled in pub doors smoking cigarettes; overweight teenage mothers shoving buggies around, and the association the town has with its mental hospital. "He's down in Ballinasloe as he's suffering with his nerves".

jaysus :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Edgeworthstown - drove through it once and couldn't believe how grim it was. Hopped out of the car for a piss then and actually tried to hurry along as the atmosphere was so crushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

DakarVert wrote: »
    Castletownbere...

Most shops are like going back in time, Quare smell of fish around the place. It's the most boring/depressing town I'v been in.

Go way out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JaimeLannister

Strokestown?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Lurgan NI

A desperate kip altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Deadzone

Swinford, Mayo. Pikeys paradise, even beats Longford in the double parking, f**k you I'm not walking, shame I can't park in the lobby of Tesco's stakes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Strokestown?

full of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I was travelling through Tipperary on my way to Kilkenny and passed a place called Clogheen which made me think i was in a time warp.

Likewise Ballineen, Co. Cork

Closer to my homeplace, Strabane never fails to make my eyes bleed. :P

Clogheen may not be the most cosmopolitan of places, but imagine having this view outside your living room window...https://www.google.com/maps/@52.275178,-7.994713,3a,75y,178.55h,88.39t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s1zHQbJn7XUbNy4aVLFr45A!2e0?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

GarIT wrote: »
    Longford town is fairly bad but nothing compares to Waterford. Waterford is the most run down place I have ever been their 'historical sites' are an embarrassment but the thing that really seals the deal is the people. The people of Waterford ensure that no new businesses come to the area and then claim the government is conspiring against them. Waterford residents have protested places like new look and H&M coming to the town because 'we already have xyz's lady's fashion shop and H&M would put her out of business' well xyz hasn't seen fashion since 1970 and refuses anything shorter than ankle length or jeans because that is sinful. These people have also protested against every supermarket because they are putting local shops out of business and complain about how they have no jobs. Before people call Waterford a city, 1 it's population isn't large enough and 2 they don't have a university, you might claim there is a uni but there isn't, every year WIT applies to be a uni, and every year they are told no.

What proves my point about Waterford's people is that it was the only place really defended here and one of it's residents actually said feck.

Look up brendan mcCann, that will explain a lot to ya,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Ballyragget, Co. Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭catonthewire

Bray....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Mohill, Co. Leitrim. There's a very 'local place for local people' vibe off the whole town and it doesn't have a single pub that you'd feel happy about going into. Traveller encampment on the outskirts seals the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

full of ****

Willie stroker lives there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Castledermot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sharpey85

Callan, kilkenny.

My father is from there but I try to limit myself to going only once every 4 years!!

Great when I was a child but as I got older I couldn't stand the place

Advertisement