Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the most depressing looking town in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Surenotabother

Clara wins hands down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Miccoli wrote: »
    Macroom or Balbriggan both ****holes.

In fairness to Balbriggan it does produce some funny b*stards of people

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tbh any town thats more than 15-20 miles from the coast is probably a dull, depressing oul kip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Tralee. Absolute kip and always some trouble there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

dobman88 wrote: »

North Kerry in general is like Kerry's ugly sister :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Urlingford Co. Kilkenny is an absolute hole of a town

Ah here, petrol in Urlingford averages about 7c a litre cheaper than the motorway services 20 miles down the road at the Cashel exit. The saving grace for Urlingford.

Portlaoise is one that stands out to me, all praise the by pass

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Doneraile , oh my god help , get me out of here , worked there once ,felt a sense of relief when I eventually got onto a national primary route out of the place , " this is a local town for local people" .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

cactuspaw wrote: »
    Kilbeggan, co Westmeath . I go through it a lot and it annoys me how a town that has so much going for it ( main Dublin to Galway road/bus route , busy horse racing course outside it, large tourist attraction in Killbeggan Distillary etc) is such a rundown place. I think they only got their first ATM last year.

My auld lad lives there it still has no ATM or bank. Last time i went there the council couldnt have been even bothered to paint the lines on the road.

Rosslare jumps to mind too absolutely nothing there expect the ferry port.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Kings court and Shercock in Cavan and castle pollard, Westmeath shudder ! And I recently discovered it had a mother and baby home , double shudder !!, no wonder people ****ed off to America , dreary backward looking dinge hole of a dump .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Portumna. Forgettable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

ch20 wrote: »
    Newport town in Tipperary. the town has no character, the roads around the town are bad with potholes.

Did you ever visit the Clare Glens nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Moneygall, Co Offaly is just an evil creation. They've a petrol station with a newsagent and fast food joint attached to it which is called Barack Obama Plaza, it has its own radio ad and all. I sh*t you not. And there's more red, white and blue flags vs Irish tricolours than I've seen North of the border anywhere. Hell on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Ballinasloe is a long town of misery. Toothless idiots huddled in pub doors smoking cigarettes; overweight teenage mothers shoving buggies around, and the association the town has with its mental hospital. "He's down in Ballinasloe as he's suffering with his nerves".

What would you like to do with the psychiatric hospital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Killygordon, Co. Donegal. Even the post office closed down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Tipp town
    Watergrasshill, cork.
    Tramore co.Waterford
    Kilmacthomas co.Waterford

Not necessarily in that order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Youghal and Cobh in Cork.

Awful, and they even have the sea next to them! No excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Youghal and Cobh in Cork.

Awful, and they even have the sea next to them! No excuses.

Ah no way! I was in Cobh earlier this year for the first time and I thought it was lovely!

dobman88 wrote: »

I was there a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how dead the place was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Dunlavin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Mullingar, I always found it the most depressing place, always dreaded having to go there and for nothing more than the whole atmosphere of the place. Being from Meath, not too far from the Westmeath border, we always had to go there for one thing or another, if I could help it I would always opt to stay home. I'm not sure what it is specifically about it, it's just an ugly, scummy place. I'll just assume no one on boards is from there >_>

Ah no way! I was in Cobh earlier this year for the first time and I thought it was lovely!

God I hate the place. Hills and hills and more hills, and a bit or a rough crowd around the place. I'll admit that down by the sea it's nice but anywhere away from that is just horrible imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Starting with Waterford an awful sh1tbox of a place and the people are as bad as the blaaaa. Moving on to clonmel via Carrick on sewer and further to cahir and tipp town and finishing the journey of misery in the daddy of gloom limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

And Blessington. Sweet mother of Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Starting with Waterford an awful sh1tbox of a place and the people are as bad as the blaaaa. Moving on to clonmel via Carrick on sewer and further to cahir and tipp town and finishing the journey of misery in the daddy of gloom limerick.

What was sh!tboxy abut Waterford exactly and how many people from Waterford did you actually meet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Dublin City Centre's a complete sh**hole these days.

Carrigadrohid in Cork is worse than depressing. It's only a tiny village but Jesus, it's like hell on earth. Population of about 30, a Fianna Fáil stronghold, mad for Gaelic football with their local club Canovee (not a bad thing in itself, but they're a cliquey club even by GAA standards), and it constantly smells like cow shít.

Just look at it on google maps, it is horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

It's clear to me, having scanned this thread, that not one of you has been through or in the 7th ring of hell that is mountmellick.
    I heard after the Peru special olympics team stayed there that they donated a dentist to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ballinasloe and Tuam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

CJC999 wrote: »
    Longford is the most abysmal dreary ****hole I've ever had the misfortune of being in.

Others in the same category are Manorhamilton, Buncrana and knock.

Lived in Manorhamilton for 2 years. I hated it. I doubt anywhere could come close to being as depressing as it.

Have some friends there, but I hated the place that much I won't even go there to visit them.

Also agree about Knock. Horrible depressing town, and it's always cold and raining there.

Was in Buncrana once and found it ok. Don't find Longford too bad either

Advertisement