Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crooked teeth

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭OhDearyMe

Her teeth are crooked, which I wouldn't class as "bad teeth" myself i.e. she probably takes care of them, brushes them and flosses them etc. but as you say, can't afford to get them straightened. I've gone out with a few guys with crooked, but clean, teeth and it didn't bother me personally but then I've never looked for perfection in someone as long as it looked as if they were taking care of themselves generally. It's funny how you grow to love the imperfections of those you love over time and the very fact that they are imperfect makes you love them more.

Not a very AH answer. Up to you, I suppose, OP. Physical attraction is superficial and we all have our preferences. Just make you don't say this to her as she's obviously completely aware of it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Poor girl! I had crooked teeth, my parents couldn't afford to get me braces. Was very self conscious about them never smiled in photos etc... No one ever mentioned them to me though! Also hate when people call crooked teeth "bad teeth". They could be perfectly healthy, healthier than many people with straight teeth. Some people can't afford to get them fixed, it's a luxury!

Anyway, I got braces in my 20's and they are straight now. Not too difficult to pay for once you get a payment plan. Just like paying off a car loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Daisy78 wrote: »
    For gods sake don't say anything to the poor girl about it. She may very well be aware of this herself and is self conscious about it already. She doesn't need you pointing out her flaws. You might want to reassess your standards before you start dating again though.

Infairness to the OP he didn't suggest saying anything to her, he asked "can I get over this". Fair play to him for realising it is an issue on him and not on her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

riclad wrote: »
    Maybe ask her nicely ,is she happy the way she is.
    does she have any wish to get dental work done.

DO NOT ask her this op. FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I guess it depends on how crooked too. It doesn't sound from the OP as though it's a minor slightly-misaligned imperfect-smile kinda thing. That can be quite endearing if they're well maintained. Sounds to me like a more serious case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Anyone know a shop where you can buy those toothbrush head covers for travelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Poor girl! I had crooked teeth, my parents couldn't afford to get me braces. Was very self conscious about them never smiled in photos etc... No one ever mentioned them to me though! Also hate when people call crooked teeth "bad teeth". They could be perfectly healthy, healthier than many people with straight teeth. Some people can't afford to get them fixed, it's a luxury!

It's just a particularly nauseating side effect of American TV and films that proliferate our world, I'm afraid. If your teeth aren't artificially straight and "white", then your a mutant of some sort and not worthy of a snog, let alone going out with.

Unfortunately, a lot of people these days are more prone to be influenced by some shallow, empty, Californian, cunt than they are their own common sense and opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

On a scale of 1 to like that girl on Jeremy Kyle, how bad are we talking op?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

If you practice good dental hygiene and have a couple of cleaning sessions with a dental hygienist in the year it shouldn't be an issue. I find many Irish people have a lackadaisical approach to their oral health and can go years without visiting a dentist.

Ara brush and floss your teeth and you'll be fine. This idea of visiting a dentist when you aren't in pain is rubbish.

I finally bite the bullet last week and went for a checkup and clean after 10 years, sure the dentist said my teeth were perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Tony EH wrote:
    It's just a particularly nauseating side effect of American TV and films that proliferate our world, I'm afraid. If your teeth aren't artificially straight and "white", then your a mutant of some sort and not worthy of a snog, let alone going out with.

Actually crooked teeth can cause major issues with bite, jaw alignment, cleaning issues etc. It's not just aesthetics.

Anyway, OP, if it's a dealbreaker for you, it's a dealbreaker. I certainly don't find people with really crooked teeth attractive. But I am kind of puzzled as to why you've stayed with her so long if it bothers you this much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Actually crooked teeth can cause major issues with bite, jaw alignment, cleaning issues etc. It's not just aesthetics.

Anyway, OP, if it's a dealbreaker for you, it's a dealbreaker. I certainly don't find people with really crooked teeth attractive. But I am kind of puzzled as to why you've stayed with her so long if it bothers you this much.
    Exactly. Won't somebody please think of the children.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

FrStone wrote: »
    Ara brush and floss your teeth and you'll be fine. This idea of visiting a dentist when you aren't in pain is rubbish.

I finally bite the bullet last week and went for a checkup and clean after 10 years, sure the dentist said my teeth were perfect.
    Protip
    Save time on flossing by only doing the ones you want to keep.

If you've a problem lies in the gums below the area you can brush or floss then visiting the dentist could save a tooth or too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Lisa needs braces.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You "jesus i just got a letter from my dentist about my annual check up - can't believe it's a year from I was there. I wonder if there is a better dentist than the one I go to. Who do you go to"?
    That's the dentist conversation started...off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dubwat

How perfect are you, OP? Testosterone levels ok?

Since this is AH, pics of you or GTFO. Are you good enough for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Dubwat wrote: »
    How perfect are you, OP? Testosterone levels ok?

Since this is AH, pics of you or GTFO. Are you good enough for her?

I'm not being smart, I just never understood nor understand the point of making that statement or pointing that out to someone, particularly if your point is that the OP shouldn't be so judgemental of another person's appearance. Is that not what you're challenging them to upload pictures for? So that they themselves can be judged? How does that help a person? How does that help anyone?

All it seems to do to me anyway is perpetuate the superficial judgment of other people. I'm open to being corrected though, if you wouldn't mind? I'm willing to accept I may be misreading or misinterpreting the idea of the question or the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

Speaking as a girl who has fairly crooked teeth... if my boyfriend wasn't attracted to me as a result of my smile, I would honestly rather he just broke up with me than if he tried to get me to 'fix' them.

It sounds bizarre but for me, it's something which I cannot currently afford to change, so all I can do is just try to accept them, and it's something I'm really insecure about. Knowing that someone I really cared about disliked my smile so much that they didn't like looking at my face would be such a painful thing to hear and to try to comprehend (knowing I can't do anything to change it right now) ... being dumped and not knowing the reason would actually be preferable!

Whatever you do, just try to do it sensitively.

@ One Eyed Jack:

Of course I don't want the OP to post photos of himself on the internet. That's why I added the 'pics or GTFO' comment.

I hope the OP realises that nobody is perfect, including himself (& myself).
    I hope the OP realises that the judgement of 100+ strangers on the internet is not the solution.

In a long term relationship, personality is more important than looks. YMMV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

somuj wrote: »
    Oh yes. Never smiles with her mouth open tho and puts her hand up when she laughs.

The fact she's a neo-Nazi is more of a turn-off.

@ One Eyed Jack:

Of course I don't want the OP to post photos of himself on the internet. That's why I added the 'pics or GTFO' comment.

I hope the OP realises that nobody is perfect, including himself (& myself).
    I hope the OP realises that the judgement of 100+ strangers on the internet is not the solution.

In a long term relationship, personality is more important than looks. YMMV

Ahh, right, I'm still not quite getting the point of it but I know what you mean, and as you say indeed a person's mileage may vary. For example I'm in a long term relationship, and to me looks are just as important as personality.

If the OP has an issue with this girls physical appearance now, that's not going to lend itself to a long term relationship either way, no matter how fantastic her personality.

One of my friends who had an issue with her teeth and was very self-conscious of the fact, no amount of telling her that the more she was focussed on it, the more other people would focus on it, and even when she spent €2k on braces to fix the issue, she was still self-conscious of the issue and would constantly roll her tongue in front of her teeth, ask did they look ok, etc, she was even worse than she was before.

Eventually her personality and her behaviour had changed to a point where it was just a pain in the arse to spend any length of time in her company.

• Advertisement

@ One Eyed Jack:
    I have a 'wet Wednesday in november' test that can be applied to most things.

I'd rather spend a 'wet Wednesday in November' in the company of a funny/interesting person with physical flaws than someone who was 'perfect' (whatever that means) but who also was boring/had no personality...
    Ahh, right, I'm still not quite getting the point of it but I know what you mean, and as you say indeed a person's mileage may vary. For example I'm in a long term relationship, and to me looks are just as important as personality.

If the OP has an issue with this girls physical appearance now, that's not going to lend itself to a long term relationship either way, no matter how fantastic her personality.

One of my friends who had an issue with her teeth and was very self-conscious of the fact, no amount of telling her that the more she was focussed on it, the more other people would focus on it, and even when she spent €2k on braces to fix the issue, she was still self-conscious of the issue and would constantly roll her tongue in front of her teeth, ask did they look ok, etc, she was even worse than she was before.

Eventually her personality and her behaviour had changed to a point where it was just a pain in the arse to spend any length of time in her company.
    Sounds like he's been going out with the girl for awhile. Maybe he's a teenager and another girl has turned his head?

Now I'm confused. On the one hand, looks are equal to personality in your opinion. Then you cite a girl who got so obsessed with her appearance that her personality changed and she 'changed to a point where it was just a pain in the arse to spend any length of time in her company'.

In long term relationships, lets not forget farting, snoring, toilet seat up/down, toothpaste cap on/off, butter in fridge or not, etc etc.... Nobody's perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It seems to be an AH truism that you can be good-looking/slim/have nice teeth/whatever is the physical ideal du jour OR be sound. And that's it.

Loads of people have both, y'know. It's not an either/or situation. So, given the choice (which all of us are), I'll go for someone with a great personality *and* the "look" I like. I don't really get why everyone goes on as if they're mutually exclusive states.

@ One Eyed Jack:
    I have a 'wet Wednesday in november' test that can be applied to most things.

I'd rather spend a 'wet Wednesday in November' in the company of a funny/interesting person with physical flaws than someone who was 'perfect' (whatever that means) but who also was boring/had no personality...

It's easy know what perfect means - someone whom you find physically irresistible. As you said earlier - each person's mileage is going to vary in that respect, and I have an even simpler test - if I can't bear to look at the person, I'm not going to be too interested in finding out anything else about their personality. Shallow as a puddle me, and no shame in admitting that fact :D

Thankfully, I've never come across either extreme where someone was physically irresistible and had no personality, or vice versa - physically repellant with a cracking personality. I'm somewhat lucky in that regard in that many of my friends are physically irresistible, with cracking personalities.

Sounds like he's been going out with the girl for awhile. Maybe he's a teenager and another girl has turned his head?

Dunno tbh, he seems like the silent type himself, having not really contributed to the thread himself since :p

Now I'm confused. On the one hand, looks are equal to personality in your opinion. Then you cite a girl who got so obsessed with her appearance that her personality changed and she 'changed to a point where it was just a pain in the arse to spend any length of time in her company'.

Yes, she was self-conscious about her appearance before, but it was bearable, I hadn't thought anything of her teeth before she pointed out that one of her front teeth was out of alignment, but you literally had to look at it sideways and really, really closely to see it. After the treatment with braces to rectify the issue, she became unbearably obsessive about it. I simply couldn't take it any more, having said it to her numerous times already. There's only so many times anyone should have to reassure someone.

In long term relationships, lets not forget farting, snoring, toilet seat up/down, toothpaste cap on/off, butter in fridge or not, etc etc.... Nobody's perfect!

Which quite frankly would get on my tits an awful lot more were my wife not physically irresistible with a cracking personality. I make allowances for putting up with the trivial times when I'm annoyed by her lack of consideration. I don't know what her explanation for the reasons she's still with me are, but I dare not draw her attention to that question in case she starts wondering the same question herself! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

If you'd put yer Lad in her mouth, whats the problem with her teeth then ?

21/25

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

doulikeit wrote: »
    Extra teeth, brilliant compliant, do you know what she is going to say to you when you are both old geezers and she eating curley worleys and you banana sandwiches, up ur bollix gummy

I'm still cracking up at this, fcukin hilarious
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm still cracking up at this, fcukin hilarious
    lol

Made me chuckle out loud too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,331 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

myshirt wrote: »
    On a scale of 1 to like that girl on Jeremy Kyle, how bad are we talking op?

Jeez that's bad, those teeth could do serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

deex wrote: »
    Speaking as a girl who has fairly crooked teeth... if my boyfriend wasn't attracted to me as a result of my smile, I would honestly rather he just broke up with me than if he tried to get me to 'fix' them.

It sounds bizarre but for me, it's something which I cannot currently afford to change, so all I can do is just try to accept them, and it's something I'm really insecure about. Knowing that someone I really cared about disliked my smile so much that they didn't like looking at my face would be such a painful thing to hear and to try to comprehend (knowing I can't do anything to change it right now) ... being dumped and not knowing the reason would actually be preferable!

Whatever you do, just try to do it sensitively.

Have you been seeing your bf for ages?
    Do you get on so well?
    Do you enjoy all the same things?
    Have you ever had a row?

If the answer to all these questions is "Yes" then Deex, may I introduce your bf!

Have a nice Sunday now folks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Was caught reading replies to this post. Thhought I was gonna end up with crooked broken teeth.

She was aware I didnt like them. Was going to get them fixed. Ave actually told her not unless ishe really wants too. Some replies here "fantastic". Dont even about crooked teeth anymore.

Will both be eating gummy beers with dentures eventually :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

Pyridine wrote: »
    Have you been seeing your bf for ages?
    Do you get on so well?
    Do you enjoy all the same things?
    Have you ever had a row?

If the answer to all these questions is "Yes" then Deex, may I introduce your bf!

Have a nice Sunday now folks! :D

I've never been so relieved that my bf and I have only been seeing each other a short time, have rows all the time, get on terribly and enjoy opposite things - phew :p

Advertisement