Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Comments

According to their spokeswoman - UK, Canada, Australia, Saudi Arabia etc.
    Did you not see the photos of the nurses abroad supporting them?

Well I know for a fact that they earn more than UK and Australian nurses. I'm not going to go searching for Canadian and... Saudi (are you serious?) nurses salaries. The first two is enough to let me know they are talking **** and telling lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    They have the support of the general public, makes sense they double down

Most Irish people would support nurses if they were looking for 250 k per annum

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Achasanai wrote: »
    I'd rather have well-paid nurses working reasonable hours when I'm next undergoing an operation. Long-term thinking rather than short-term gain.

They are well paid. And they do work reasonable hours. And they claim that this is not about pay?

You are badly mistaken.

?width=630&version=4464453

?width=630&version=4463819

Shame on the nurses using sick people to further their fake propaganda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

They most certainly are not paid more in the UK, no public servants are

• Advertisement

Well I know for a fact that they earn more than UK and Australian nurses. I'm not going to go searching for Canadian and... Saudi (are you serious?) nurses salaries. The first two is enough to let me know they are talking **** and telling lies.

Australia is just about the highest wage nation on the planet, its been growing for 26 years straight, nurses are higher paid there but its silly to think just because Australia pays more that we should, sure nurses in Greece could say the same

Australia is just about the highest wage nation on the planet, its been growing for 26 years straight, nurses are higher paid there but its silly to think just because Australia pays more that we should, sure nurses in Greece could say the same

Despite what you've said, they aren't higher paid than in Ireland. End of story. The figures are very easy to find.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Why?

Because we have a multi century tradition of providing nurses for various countries, to not support the nurses is to turn your back on your mother , grandmother, aunt

We have a deep sentimental and cultural effection for nurses and an iron clad narative prevails, hence why complete untruths like low pay and low staff numbers dominate

Despite what you've said, they aren't higher paid than in Ireland. End of story. The figures are very easy to find.

I'm open to correction, if nurses in Ireland are higher paid than nurses in Australia, then the strike is truly contemptible

I'm open to correction, if nurses in Ireland are higher paid than nurses in Australia, then the strike is truly contemptible

Registered Nurses (RN) in Australia earn an average salary of AUD$65,000 (€42000) per year.

The average earnings for all HSE staff nurses and midwifes (excluding all promotional grades) in 2017 were approximately €51,000 (It's more than this now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Nobody would begrudge the nurses better conditions. Better pay however won't solve the horrendous conditions

Unfortunately an extra 5k a year won't stop a girl in her early 20s heading off to dubai over staying in tullamore general.

The girls abroad are getting double the salary tax free along with fully paid housing and food. It's just something we can't compete with.

Nobody would begrudge the nurses better conditions. Better pay however won't solve the horrendous conditions

Unfortunately an extra 5k a year won't stop a girl in her early 20s heading off to dubai over staying in tullamore general.

The girls abroad are getting double the salary tax free along with fully paid housing and food. It's just something we can't compete with.

The girls abroad in Dubai (and similar anomalies), maybe. Everywhere else? Pays less. And as mentioned already, despite what the unions are saying, the independent commission has found that there is nothing unusual about our staffing levels. There is no mass exodus. It's a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,383 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Registered Nurses (RN) in Australia earn an average salary of AUD$65,000 (€42000) per year.

The average earnings for all HSE staff nurses and midwifes (excluding all promotional grades) in 2017 were approximately €51,000 (It's more than this now).

You are including allowances and overtime in that.
    Basic flat wages is the gauge. I heard the radio interviews.

Why is that the gauge? That's literally what they are paid.

Here's a quote:

“More broadly, OECD nursing remuneration data show that, in purchasing power parity terms, Irish nursing pay (including allowances and premium payments) between 2007 and 2017 was consistently on a par with Australia and higher than New Zealand, Canada and the UK,” notes the spending review.

It also maintains that 82 per cent of all nurses and midwives are on basic salaries of more than €40,000 exclusive of allowances or premium payments.

You mean you heard the fake propaganda

salonfire wrote: »

As opposed to Govt propaganda which lumped in everything.
    I always refused overtime myself when working. You should have a decent flat wage and not be relying on overtime. Overtime enslaves people.

I always refused overtime myself when working. You should have a decent flat wage and not be relying on overtime. Overtime enslaves people.

What makes you think it's overtime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,507 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Whatever about you overtime, the shift allowance absolutely has to be included in any comparison.

Will you for the love of God stop peddling lies and half truths.

The salaries quoted by the Government does not include overtime. It is inclusive of basic pay and allowances.

What makes you think it's overtime?

I heard them being interviewed.
    Because of under staffing they are forced to do it.
    Newstalk I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

The INMO negotiated additional premiums, allowances and copious well paid promotional posts to settle previous pay disputes (in order to pretend that that they were not going outside of pay agreements). Now they want to have all this disregarded in the present claim. For any job it is the "total remuneration package" that counts. Nurse have done very well on that score but now their propaganda machine is doing an effective job to conceal this from public discourse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,162 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

salonfire wrote: »

no as there is no fake propaganda from what i can see.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

no as there is no fake propaganda from what i can see.

I wonder if the nurses will get the blame because the new Children’s Hospital won’t be able to receive Coastguard helicopters with sick children due to poor planning?

I wonder if the nurses will get the blame because the new Children’s Hospital won’t be able to receive Coastguard helicopters with sick children due to poor planning?

Back to the pay thing, do you accept that Irish nurses are comparatively well compensated relative to other countries? How much more should an Irish nurse earn compared to their UK or Australian counterparts? If the existing 20-40% pay premium isn't enough give me a figure that is.

Back to the pay thing, do you accept that Irish nurses are comparatively well compensated relative to other countries? How much more should an Irish nurse earn compared to their UK or Australian counterparts? If the existing 20-40% pay premium isn't enough give me a figure that is.

No I don’t. Also why would all the Irish nurses out abroad be getting behind the protests for higher wages here before even contemplating returning to work here.? Obviously the figures are not convincing to entice them.
    An experienced nurse should be on at least 55K flat imo. Allowances on top of that if we want to keep them here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Skihunta13 wrote: »
    I totally agree with that teachers should not be paid higher than nurses if pay parity is the reason looking for a pay rise, but as someone once told me nurses filled out the same CAO forms as teacher.
    The hardship that nurses refer to as reasons for payrise( long shifts, difficult patience etc) cannot be used as a reason for pay rise as these situations are not new to hospitals. Nurses knew these conditions before they started.
    Nurses do get paid more garda. Who has it more difficult there.
    The government screwed up by paying teachers what they have and im sorry but they do get very generous conditions ie summer holidays, midterms, personal days. Even with all these days off they still close the school for training days. They only work the hours that kids can.Joke. Every public sector is going to use the teachers as a goal for pay & conditions.

The fact the union is looking for this now and the government has dug the heels in tells me hoe screwed we are after Brexit. We hust simply cannot afford it.
    Did Varadkar & co give themselves a pay rise recently or am i hearing wrong? If true the whole country should be out in protest.

Hard to work a dialysis machine if you can't read .

No I don’t. Also why would all the Irish nurses out abroad be getting behind the protests for higher wages here before even contemplating returning to work here.? Obviously the figures are not convincing to entice them.
    An experienced nurse should be on at least 55K flat imo. Allowances on top of that if we want to keep them here.

Well, as explained a number of times, there is no exodus of nurses, verified independently. So the figures obviously are enticing enough.

I'm not arguing that 55k basic shouldnt be paid to nurses. The cost of living, especially in Dublin, is high enough to warrant this. What I don't appreciate is the lies that are being told to support this. It's either deserved or it isn't, a lie just tells me it isn't.

If anything, nurses in Dublin should receive an allowance that factors in the much higher cost of living. And this should go across the entire public service. This would be a sensible approach. It won't happen though.

Have you costed that, tayto lover?

And have you multiplied that by 10 (say) to get an idea of the cumulative cost?

And have you costed the knock on claims that would inevitably followed across the public sector?

And have you costed the tax increase that would be required to cover all that?

And have you costed the impact that increase would have on other sectors of the economy ?

And costed the impact of this on job maintenance/creation, given the increased in the cost of employment?

Can you come back when you have approximate calculations?

1641 wrote: »
    Have you costed that, tayto lover?

And have you multiplied that by 10 (say) to get an idea of the cumulative cost?

And have you costed the knock on claims that would inevitably followed across the public sector?

And have you costed the tax increase that would be required to cover all that?

And have you costed the impact that increase would have on other sectors of the economy ?

And costed the impact of this on job maintenance/creation, given the increased in the cost of employment?

Can you come back when you have approximate calculations?

No I haven’t but I’m sure a 1 percent rise in corporate tax rate would cover it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

No but they will probably claim they fly the helicopters on their breaks

No I haven’t but I’m sure a 1 percent rise in corporate tax rate would cover it.

Right. We took in 9.4 billion in corporate tax last year (at 12.5%). So your 1% would be about 750 million. Not near enough to cover everything, I'd wager. But we will know more when you get back with costings. You would surely produce costing before throwing your own, and everyone else's, money around, right?
    But more broadly, you are going to rely on an extremely volatile tax to fund permanent spending (like stamp duty was relied on before the 2008 disaster). For example, any international slowdown (and early signs are there) will greatly impact the take. Or if even one of the top 10 mutinationals who pay the bulk of our corporation tax decided to move on it would have a severe impact on tax take (not to mention employment - but private sector jobs, so irrelevant, right?.)
    Our rate is surely an attraction to them to stay, so increasing it will hardly make them more likely to stay. Our international competitors would dearly love us to increase rates so that they would have more chance of poaching them for us. But, hey, go ahead and eat the golden goose.
    Do the government take back the increase in wages if and when corporation tax sinks ? Or will they have to increase income taxes and levies instead?

I suspect the real answer is that you don't care as long the wage demands are met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Graces7 wrote: »
    They are well paid. And they do work reasonable hours. And they claim that this is not about pay?

Is better pay not part of their demands?

Better pay would lead to better staff retention, less reliance on agency nurses, and fewer instances of staff working long hours or on wards with insufficient staff. I've been the patient in situations like this, and from a purely selfish perspective, it leads to reduced patient care (despite those nurses & junior doctors on the ward doing their best). From a less selfish perspective, increasing the attractiveness of a nursing position compared to similar (but less physically demanding) jobs in the HSE is better for our health care system (as fúcked as it is).

Right. We took in 9.4 billion in corporate tax last year (at 12.5%). So your 1% would be about 750 million. Not near enough to cover everything, I'd wager. But we will know more when you get back with costings. You would surely produce costing before throwing your own, and everyone else's, money around, right?
    But more broadly, you are going to rely on an extremely volatile tax to fund permanent spending (like stamp duty was relied on before the 2008 disaster). For example, any international slowdown (and early signs are there) will greatly impact the take. Or if even one of the top 10 mutinationals who pay the bulk of our corporation tax decided to move on it would have a severe impact on tax take (not to mention employment - but private sector jobs, so irrelevant, right?.)
    Our rate is surely an attraction to them to stay, so increasing it will hardly make them more likely to stay. Our international competitors would dearly love us to increase rates so that they would have more chance of poaching them for us. But, hey, go ahead and eat the golden goose.
    Do the government take back the increase in wages if and when corporation tax sinks ? Or will they have to increase income taxes and levies instead?

I suspect the real answer is that you don't care as long the wage demands are met.

You’re right. I don’t care where the money is found but in the end it will be found. Bet your life on it.
    They can find money when they want to as we have seen before.

You’re right. I don’t care where the money is found but in the end it will be found. Bet your life on it.

Maybe, but if they do people (ordinary people) will have to pay for it, that is for sure. It won't be plucked from the money tree. And will it make the health service the slightest bit better? Guaranteed no.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 deviari

I can't see them being successful to tell the truth...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

Nurses salary UK
    https://www.rcn.org.uk/employment-and-pay/nhs-pay-scales-2017-18

Nurse salary Ireland
    https://www.inmo.ie/salary_information

Nurses in Ireland are paid substantially more than UK Nurses.

Maybe, but if they do people (ordinary people) will have to pay for it, that is for sure. It won't be plucked from the money tree. And will it make the health service the slightest bit better? Guaranteed no.

Ordinary people always pay.
    Ordinary people support them too.

Nurses in Ireland don't normally work overtime. The average nurse works 0 hours overtime

This is the boom bust attitude.

Same people will will blame d Gubberment when cuts have to be made no doubt.

Ordinary people always pay.
    Ordinary people support them too.

Unfortunately people don't seem to factor in that they will end up paying (either through tax/levies or through even worse services - more cuts to home help anyone? more cuts to respite care maybe? less funding for DEIS schools? etc,etc,etc).

Instead they tend to think "the Government" will pay. Or they fall for the loonies' story about a magical pot of money out there just waiting to be tapped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

OMD wrote: »
    Nurses in Ireland don't normally work overtime. The average nurse works 0 hours overtime

Not true !!! And the hse spend €2 million per week on agency nurses .. ot is optional , you know. But a lot of nurses do ot to up their wage.

Indeed you are right here.

Its "found" by being cut from something else, often less politically sensitive but more needed.

e.g. mental health funding, traveller education that type of thing, wont cause any political problems at the local elections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

In which discipline? Because in General and Mental Health there is currently mandatory overtime in units throughout the country.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0131/1026609-pna_industrial_action/

But sure no nurses do overtime, whats the sense in the overtime ban and the hype its generated internally then?

Why do people in this thread insist on making things up to suit their argument???

Miike wrote: »
    In which discipline? Because in General and Mental Health there is currently mandatory overtime in units throughout the country.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0131/1026609-pna_industrial_action/

But sure no nurses do overtime, whats the sense in the overtime ban and the hype its generated internally then?

Why do people in this thread insist on making things up to suit their argument???

I said nurses in Ireland don't normally do overtime. That is true. Note the words "don't normally". You decided to change what I actually said to "no nurses do overtime".

So you are the one who is "making things up to suit their argument".

I said nurses in Ireland don't normally do overtime. That is true. Note the words "don't normally". You decided to change what I actually said to "no nurses do overtime".

So you are the one who is "making things up to suit their argument".

"The average nurse does 0 overtime" and "don't normally" are oceans apart. The numbers in that article speak for them selves and that's before we get onto the topic of mandatory overtime being imposed.

If you said that the average senior nurse does little overtime I'd agree but that's how it's allocated in some units. Seniority trumps all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Yea-I do believe they deserve a pay rise.

But only the nice nurses.

Some really grumpy ones out there.

Miike wrote: »
    "The average nurse does 0 overtime" and "don't normally" are oceans apart. The numbers in that article speak for them selves and that's before we get onto the topic of mandatory overtime being imposed.

If you said that the average senior nurse does little overtime I'd agree but that's how it's allocated in some units. Seniority trumps all.

How many of the 40,000 do regular OT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

noodler wrote: »

Another moronic post from you. Why don’t you go find out ? How , I’ve no idea .. we can only really go on people who work in hospitals or make rosters. What we do know is the government currently pay €2 million a week on agency staff ! €104 million per annum .. crazy figures

noodler wrote: »

I don't believe those numbers would be published as much as I would love to see them. I can only tell you what I see every single day in the areas I work out of (which is anything south of Dublin and Galway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭KaneToad

It boils down to this, nurses are arguing that an increase in pay will stop nurses leaving. It would seem that the nurses leaving is not seen as that much of a problem ergo the nurses will fail in their attempts.

The union argument about the spending on agency staff doesn't make sense to me either. 104 million a year on agency but 300 million a year if nurses get pay claim. 104 < 300. Also an agency nurse doesn't command a pension, has differing sick leave entitlements and can be cut at will (ie are a very flexible resource) - all of which have cost saving implications.

• Advertisement
Advertisement