Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age should men stop wearing jeans?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'm 40 and I recently stopped wearing jeans. Not because I care about anyones opinion but because I never found them comfortable. I have sensitive skin and jeans really irritate my legs. I've always liked combat trousers because they're light and they have pockets that your wallet isn't going to fall out of. They're not easy to find any more though. I asked online where I could find a good pair and someone told me not to look like a nineties throwback. I despise fashion. I just like functional, comfortable clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

A man should never cease to wear jeans and should also adapt to the very latest styles and trends even if you're 60 and they're tighter than a knats chuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Just wear whatever you like and feels comfortable. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Post number 20 so. We're on the same page.

I asked the wrong person the follow up question, my bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

When they die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I'm long past the age when I give a flying fukk what people think about my clothes. I barely listen to my wife, let alone ye lot.
    And I'm not even that old.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I stopped wearing jeans about 18 months ago. Not for age reasons but because I discovered chinos. Best desision I ever made. They're just so much more comfortable.

I feel like I wasted 35 years of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Beefy78 wrote: »

Did you spend 35 years defining yourself by your choice of trousers? Because that would indeed be a terrible waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

As long as you can still fit into them, keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Beefy78 wrote: »

And missed one of the few great opportunities for a decent pun too.

WAISTED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Old men + tight jeans = pure ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

My father used to cut the legs off his if it got over 25° so I'd say that must be the cut off point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

Isn't that the age of the perfect girl or something?'

If you're 18 you better stay single then.

They can stop wearing them whenever they like. Like all things, who cares what people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I'm 40 and I recently stopped wearing jeans. Not because I care about anyones opinion but because I never found them comfortable. I have sensitive skin and jeans really irritate my legs. I've always liked combat trousers because they're light and they have pockets that your wallet isn't going to fall out of. They're not easy to find any more though. I asked online where I could find a good pair and someone told me not to look like a nineties throwback. I despise fashion. I just like functional, comfortable clothes.

Same for me for the same reason. I also agree that the nineties were great for combats and harder to find them now.

I would only wear jeans when I went on a night out and wear casual jogging pants during the day. But then I discovered stretchy jeans and they are a way more comfortable than normal jeans so I'm back wearing them again.

Btw, my dad is 75 and he only started wearing them about 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Is this the 1950s?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gave up wearing them in my twenties, horrible things

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

LordSutch wrote: »
    What's the cut off age?
    Whenever you want. Life's too short to give a flying fcuk what some columnist thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

currants wrote: »
    I think they look best on men with toned legs, not massive bodybuilder thighs or thin pipeshank legs. I've a neighbour in his 50s and he rocks jeans, farming man so I doubt they're designer they just suit him and he wears them well. Plus I get to admire his bottom when he hops over gates like a young lad. Sigh.

Yes if you've ever seen a rugby player in a pair of jeans they look ridiculous. I used to have the pipeshank legs when I was younger so I hated wearing jeans and only wore them when going on a night out. I've filled out a bit since then and only started wearing them again recently. I don't like the small pockets though. Plus I find them a bit umcomfortable around the crotch area when sitting for long periods of time. Still better than tracksuits though which is all I wore until I was about 27. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I just putting on a pair of Phillpp plain jeans, I am gorgeous . Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Maximus277 wrote: »
    Every single ******g male in their twenities, thirties and forties are wearing jeans.

They look like shi* and are uncomfortable.

Use some imagination lads

Only if you're wearing the ball crushingly tight variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Never really, I've seen old guys in different countries and Ireland, in their 70's looking well and not ott.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you don't wear jeans, what do you wear?

Chinos?
    Combats?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Bruce Springsteen is 64 and looks great in jeans.

67 now and yup, looks grand.

Kirk Douglas is 100 on Friday and I bet he could rock a pair of jeans. All about the attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

NIMAN wrote: »
    If you don't wear jeans, what do you wear?

Chinos?
    Combats?

I'd suggest a kilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Kirk Douglas is 100 on Friday and I bet he could rock a pair of jeans. All about the attitude.

Wow, I didn't know that he was that old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I wore jeans all the times in my teens and twenties and I'd never thought about when I'd stop wearing them but seeing Tony Blair wearing them as his casual attire completely ruined them for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Bruce 'The Boss' Springsteen still wears jeans and he's 67ish is years of age!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/06/16/14/2999030F00000578-3126558-image-a-23_1434462850868.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Ted111 wrote: »
    At half your age plus 7.

To the two people who queried this, forget about jeans - it's whether ye should be taking the cork off the tops of your forks ye should be worried about. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

In the 70s and earlier, jeans were a rebellious clothing. Only (some) kids would have them and certainly no people with jobs, wives, kids.

In modern times they've long since become ubiquitous, uniform and conventional.

So the specific question is redundant.
    To broaden out the question, should middle age or old people dress young?
    Of course anybody can do anything but when does it look lame or try hard? It maybe an obscure science resting on the individual their style, attitude, personality

Advertisement