Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age should men stop wearing jeans?

Options
  • 03-12-2016 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

So at various times over the years you hear stories in the media about a 'cut off point' at which men should stop wearing jeans! Some people think men should stop wearing them after 40 years of age, others might say 45 or fifty? Pesronally speaking I plan to keep wearing them for ever (into my sixties/seventies)? anyway, it would be nice to hear your opinions on this light hearted topic.
    https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2014/apr/28/men-too-old-jeans-denim-any-age

I did work in an office back in the 90s and the new MD wore jeans on 'dress down Friday' which didn't go down too well with some of the older generation, some of whom thought that men should not wear jeans after the age of 40, which made me smile :))

What's the cut off age?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

42, answer to all questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

I don't see any reason why anyone would stop wearing them? Handiest clothes ever....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Whatever age they die at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

At half your age plus 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Senna wrote: »
    42, answer to all questions.

Shìt...hope no one on this bus is easily offended.

*unbuckles belt*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Whenever they feel like it. It's only a pair of jeans, hardly freaking short shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

The correct answer is around 50. That's for the sensible jeans, not the ripped trendy ones. People will argue this but I think the Jobs/Cowell truism is a powerful argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,986 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

When they want to

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Money talks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

LordSutch wrote: »

What's the cut off age?

Pretty young if you are Jewish.

Badum tish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

if you're going to put stock in anything written by the guardian, then for you, the cut off age is whatever they say.
    For everyone else, its whenever they feel like, never being a good answer.

Whichever happens first -

a) they want to

or

b) they become Jeremy Clarkson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

When they can't produce any more kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just worried what the alternative would be ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Just worried what the alternative would be ?

Tracksuit bottoms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Tracksuit bottoms

Class

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ted111 wrote: »
    At half your age plus 7.

I thought that was the youngest of the opposite sex you should go with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

It varies wildly. It could be anything from 40-41 and a half.

Slacks and a belt become the norm then. And a sudden fixation with brown shoes, usually to match the brown belt that nobody can see because your shirt hangs slightly over it. The shirt you've tucked into your Y-Fronts.
    Those being the same Y-Fronts that you had to start wearing in place of boxers when the 40th happened.
    Well, not "the same" ones, you were given 10 pairs for last Christmas afterall, just the same style (or lack of).
    And it's highly irrelevant anyway, because 'herself' hasn't looked down there since......... well for ages!
    She must not look "up" much either because she hasn't even noticed the feckin moustache.
    Time to go for that car with the open-top roof.

Ah c'mon, there's no set age for anything. Ya wanna wear jeans, wear jeans!

Be yourself. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I thought that was the youngest of the opposite sex you should go with.

It could be both. Or neither.
    Or one, or maybe the other one.

I can only guide you. You must find the answer yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

this thread doesnt make sense. The older generation will always dress different to the younger. We will get old and think that jeans are normal, then young people will see them as "old man clothes" and not wear them but wear something else instead, thus the cycle continues.... u

• Registered Users Posts: 16,948 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Bruce Springsteen is 64 and looks great in jeans. I saw Eric Clapton wearing jeans. He's now in his 70s and it didn't look out of place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

You know what I bet this came from? I bet someone at the guardian was thinking about the old "at what point should a woman stop wearing short skirts" or whatever question (a question generally put by women and for other women), and about how sexist and awful this was. So they want to swing it around to a male version and this is the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,948 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Candie wrote:
    b) they become Jeremy Clarkson

He does look bad in jeans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I'll never stop wearing them but after a certain age I think (imo obv) men should stick with fitted, straight leg dark jeans, not stuff like stonewashed or faddy cuts like skinny, flared or boot cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I'll never stop wearing them but after a certain age I think men should stick with fitted, dark jeans, not stuff like stonewashed or faddy cuts like skinny, flared or boot cut.

But if you still have the figure, why not?
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/05/18/17/28D0A53000000578-0-image-a-113_1431965626656.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

But if you still have the figure, why not?

Because Brendan Courtney.

Posting a picture of a wizened old man with improbable hair doesn't support your case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

...wizened old man :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

One should only stop wearing jeans following an unfortunate double leg amputation. And an arse amputation.

Advertisement