Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age should men stop wearing jeans?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Dies eloquent answers are gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

Whatever age they die at.

Bury me in my Levi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm afraid the truth is that its much more of a "body shape" issue than it is age.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jeans become more relevant later in life than when you're younger. For a start they conceal pee stain smell better than slacks.

Can't wait till I'm old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

My father is 71 and is still wearing them - see nothing wrong with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

My nannys 90 year old brother still wears jeans and runners. I dare you to fight him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

To answer the OPs question, I'd say there's not necessarily a specific age, but the point at which the waist size exceeds the leg size?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Trust me; Forest Cammo 'combat / cargo' strides are the thing, over a certain age :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Maximus277

Every single ******g male in their twenities, thirties and forties are wearing jeans.

They look like shi* and are uncomfortable.

Use some imagination lads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Just worried what the alternative would be ?

Chinos presumably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Imagine having having the most expensive birthday ever just cos you have to replace your entire wardrobe that day.

"Mom, for my 43rd birthday I'd like chinos please"

"But son, you don't wear...."

"MOM, WHY DON'T YOU EVER SUPPORT ME".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

Imagine having having the most expensive birthday ever just cos you have to replace your entire wardrobe that day.

"Mom, for my 43rd birthday I'd like chinos please"

"But son, you don't wear...."

"MOM, WHY DON'T YOU EVER SUPPORT ME".

HAHAHA

"MOM YOU KNOW ITS NOT VOUGE TO WEAR JEANS AT 43 CHRIST"

On facebook right away

"My mom won't buy me chinos she's so ugh!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

LordSutch wrote: »
    So at various times over the years you hear stories in the media about a 'cut off point' at which men should stop wearing jeans! Some people think men should stop wearing them after 40 years of age, others might say 45 or fifty? Pesronally speaking I plan to keep wearing them for ever (into my sixties/seventies)? anyway, it would be nice to hear your opinions on this light hearted topic.
    https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2014/apr/28/men-too-old-jeans-denim-any-age

I did work in an office back in the 90s and the new MD wore jeans on 'dress down Friday' which didn't go down too well with some of the older generation, some of whom thought that men should not wear jeans after the age of 40, which made me smile :))

What's the cut off age?

My cats breath smells like cat food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Maximus277 wrote: »
    Every single ******g male in their twenities, thirties and forties are wearing jeans.

They look like shi* and are uncomfortable.

Use some imagination lads

Seriously.... A woman walks into a room wearing jeans/skirt/dress, People notice what she's wearing.

A guy walks into a room wearing jeans/chinos/slacks. Do people notice?

Fair enough they'll notice if it's a suit, shirt etc. But his pants? Unless it's a formal occasion nobody really gives a f*** imo.

Maybe I'm wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

lighter coloured jeans up to about 40, dark jeans up till mid 50's. Jeans on men over 60 don't look right imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

What ever happened to cords they were the most comfortable of all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I stopped wearing them at 50 but everyone objected to me in my cacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

No age limit, but waist size should be the cut off. Any larger than 36" waist just looks like way too much denim for one person

coastwatch wrote: »
    No age limit, but waist size should be the cut off. Any larger than 36" waist just looks like way too much denim for one person

What happens after size 36?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

What happens after size 36?

Size 38?

Size 38?

:D haha, great answer! I like your style.

But seriously, if you stop wearing jeans at size 36, what do you wear?

Slacks? Trackie bottoms? Why would size 38 in those be any better than in jeans?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Must be an optical illusion, but 38/40+ light denim seems to look way larger than same size in anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

LordSutch wrote: »
    So at various times over the years you hear stories in the media about a 'cut off point' at which men should stop wearing jeans! Some people think men should stop wearing them after 40 years of age, others might say 45 or fifty? Pesronally speaking I plan to keep wearing them for ever (into my sixties/seventies)? anyway, it would be nice to hear your opinions on this light hearted topic.
    https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2014/apr/28/men-too-old-jeans-denim-any-age

I did work in an office back in the 90s and the new MD wore jeans on 'dress down Friday' which didn't go down too well with some of the older generation, some of whom thought that men should not wear jeans after the age of 40, which made me smile :))

What's the cut off age?

Never once heard such a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

I think they look best on men with toned legs, not massive bodybuilder thighs or thin pipeshank legs. I've a neighbour in his 50s and he rocks jeans, farming man so I doubt they're designer they just suit him and he wears them well. Plus I get to admire his bottom when he hops over gates like a young lad. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

OP, if you wear jeans which are intentionally "torn", you should probably stop, no matter what age you are. Other than that, keep wearing them.

currants wrote: »
    I've a neighbour in his 50s and he rocks jeans, farming man so I doubt they're designer they just suit him and he wears them well. Plus I get to admire his bottom when he hops over gates like a young lad. Sigh.

You OK? I think we lost you there for a bit! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

:o
    Just sayin like, mind you the wellies kind of kill the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ted111 wrote: »
    At half your age plus 7.

Isn't that the age of the perfect girl or something?

I'm 47 and wear nothing but jeans. Have no intention of ever wearing 'slacks'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

:D haha, great answer! I like your style.

But seriously, if you stop wearing jeans at size 36, what do you wear?

Slacks? Trackie bottoms? Why would size 38 in those be any better than in jeans?

Just wear whatever you like and feels comfortable. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Advertisement