Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 Year Old Boy Invoiced for no show at friends party

• 19-01-2015 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

In Torpoint UK a 5 year old has been sent an invoice for failing to show up to another childs party, and leaving the other childs parents out of pocket to the tune of £16 the other side will go to the smalls claims court if unpaid.... silly people be silly.... no sleepovers allowed in that house.

I can't provide a link cos im a newby"

Quote from BBC site "A five-year-old boy has been billed for failing to attend a friend's birthday party - resulting in legal action.

Alex Nash, from Cornwall, was invited to the party just before Christmas.

An invoice for £15.95 was sent by his schoolfriend's mother Julie Lawrence, who said Alex's non-attendance left her out of pocket and his parents had her details to tell her he was not going.

Alex's father Derek said he had been told he would be taken to the small claims court for refusing to pay"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

While I wouldn't have sent an invoice I can understanding the parents frustration.

They booked a venue and activities for the numbers who confirmed attendance and were out of pocket as a result of no-shows. Why didn't Alex Nash's parents have the decency to ring and say he couldn't make it?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

they should send the boys parents an invoice for £20 for administrative services to process their invoice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Haha Id say that party was a barrell of laughs. Still very rude to rsvp then not bother to show up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I predict that in 12 months time there will be a story about a 6 year old boy that had no friends at his birthday party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

How are they out of pocket, if he had showed up it would still have cost the same amount as if he did not show up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Are they for real? It's only 16 quid. It's not worth that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I'd understand if it was something expensive that left them paying like >£50 but £15 lol, c'mon. Where's their pride. Do they realise how kids are, their child could get teased or even bullied about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

I think the parents sending the invoice don't get what it's like to organise a childs birthday party. There are going to be no-shows, it's normal and should be expected.

I've been in s similar situation and I've learned to set a budget and accept that not every child is going to turn up. If you can't afford to take a hit in those situations then maybe you shouldn't be arranging expensive parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Leinsterblue

MORE -

'Understand she's upset'

Alex's parents, from Torpoint, had accepted an invitation to the party at a dry ski slope in Plymouth, Devon, just before Christmas.

However, they realised their son was double-booked and due to spend time with his grandparents, which he did.

His parents said they had no contact information for Ms Lawrence at that time.

They found the invoice in a brown envelope in his schoolbag last week.
    Mr Nash said: "It was a proper invoice with full official details and even her bank details on it.

"I can understand that she's upset about losing money. The money isn't the issue, it's the way she went about trying to get the money from me.

"She didn't treat me like a human being, she treated me like a child and that I should do what she says."

In a short statement, Ms Lawrence said: "All details were on the party invite. They had every detail needed to contact me."

Mr Nash said he had been told he was being taken to the small claims court because he was refusing to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Anytime I've booked places for a kid's party, you just give a rough number, then they just do a headcount at the start of the party and charge based on attendance.

To be fair, anybody with kids knows a set of pushy parents that take grievous offence if there's not a big turnout to their little darling's soiree.

Still no excuse for not RVSPing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Oh those parents must be great fun. I pity that child growing up.

"Trent, your playtime today is between the hours of 4pm and 5pm, Not a minute before or a minute after and your only allowed 2 friends to play with and not that boy up the street, he's owes us £16".

MORE -

'Understand she's upset'

Alex's parents, from Torpoint, had accepted an invitation to the party at a dry ski slope in Plymouth, Devon, just before Christmas.

However, they realised their son was double-booked and due to spend time with his grandparents, which he did.

His parents said they had no contact information for Ms Lawrence at that time.

They found the invoice in a brown envelope in his schoolbag last week.
    Mr Nash said: "It was a proper invoice with full official details and even her bank details on it.

"I can understand that she's upset about losing money. The money isn't the issue, it's the way she went about trying to get the money from me.

"She didn't treat me like a human being, she treated me like a child and that I should do what she says."

In a short statement, Ms Lawrence said: "All details were on the party invite. They had every detail needed to contact me."

Mr Nash said he had been told he was being taken to the small claims court because he was refusing to pay.

He should send her a £50 note with a note saying "keep the change, you must need it."

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Leinsterblue

the mother of the other kid sounds charming ---

"I left the school and went to see [the birthday boy's mother] as her address was on the invoice.

"When she answered the door I told her I had found the invoice in my son's school bag and that I wasn't happy about it.

"I told her I would not be paying her the money.

"I told her she should have spoken to me first and not put the invoice in my son's school bag.

"I would have sympathised with her about the cost of Alex not showing up, but I just can't believe the way she has gone around it."

The unnamed mother has since threatened the family that she would take the case to a small claims court, while the birthday boy will no longer play with Alex at school."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Onus is on the people booking the party to make sure of numbers beforehand.
    People drop out all the time, perhaps the bday boy is as big a turd as his parents and his guest decided not to go on that basis alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Gobshítes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

He should send her a £50 note with a note saying "keep the change, ya filthy animal."

FYP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,314 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

ScumLord wrote: »
    I predict that in 12 months time there will be a story about a 6 year old boy that had no friends at his birthday party.

Poor kid. This story will follow him through school. His parents are idiots.

kfallon wrote: »
    FYP ;)

Haha that'd just give her a laugh though. If he did what I said it'd linger in her head, even if she initially thought "haha he's trying to be a smart arse but sweet, an extra £34, jokes on him!". After she's spent that she'd still have it in her head that he regards her as some type of poor and bitter charity case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd send the parents an invoice for badness tbh. Far too many people are way to lackadaisical when it comes to things like other people's time and money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The parents parents have a lot to be answerable for.

I have come to conclusion that the common sense and fortitude of the previous two generations was as a result of the scarcity and resilience brought about by the second world war.

I know a third world war would be unpleasant, but I firmly believe we need to reset the brains and the priorities of the type of numbskulls involved in this exchange.

Oh and conscription for skobies as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Hoop66

OK, it's rude not to turn up, but the mother who sent the invoice seems like a right waggon.

Who in their right mind sends an invoice in a situation like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Poor kids! This is what's bringing them up.... it's just sad. I guess we'll see them all on Jeremy in years to come!

coffeepls wrote: »
    Poor kids! This is what's bringing them up.... it's just sad. I guess we'll see them all on Jeremy in years to come!

Pow-AAAH!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

I'm suprised the wedding crowd haven't thought of this.......................yet!
    Just you wait :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

the smart thing to have done would have been to simply bin the invoice and never speak of it again unless the other parent brought it up , and even then pretend you know nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

They are children! The parents should realise that children won't always attend a party because of things cropping up, fights in the playground or illness. What if it was one of those reasons instead of visiting the child's grandparents. Would she send an invoice then?

It was a bit rude not to let them know but it's easy enough for something like that to slip your mind.

I feel sorry for the birthday boy, he's forever going to be remembered for this. His silly mother didn't think before she acted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

It would probably cost more than £16 to get the money back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

The family should go into receivership leaving a scatter of unpaid bills and unanswered party invitations. Then the same management and members of staff should begin trading as a new family with just a name change and they can deny and renounce any connection to the ski slope contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

bjork wrote: »
    I'm suprised the wedding crowd haven't thought of this.......................yet!
    Just you wait :)

Lol. Boardsies I will need all your bank details, in advance of the big day, failure to provide detail will result in legal pursuit.
    Name...
    Account number
    something...
    something...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

What in the name of God did I just read. I've never heard of anything so stupid in my life. All I know is if she put that invoice in my sons bag she would have to send me another one from her surgeon to get my boot out of her arse. I really pity those poor children. Can you imagine how confused and upset they must be because they can't play together. This woman is a total fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Good luck with that : there's no contract, agreement or anything else so she's no business sending anyone an invoice.

Also, taking a 5 year old to small claims !!!?? Emm.. I'm not sure where to start with how stupid that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Meathlass wrote: »
    While I wouldn't have sent an invoice I can understanding the parents frustration.

They booked a venue and activities for the numbers who confirmed attendance and were out of pocket as a result of no-shows. Why didn't Alex Nash's parents have the decency to ring and say he couldn't make it?

I agree it would have been polite if they had sent a message that for whatever reason they couldn't make it at the last minute..

But..
    Say it was £16 per head for 20 children, if all 20 show up then they'd be paying £320. did they have to pay any more than the £320 if only 18 showed up ?? They had planned to spend the money anyway so why be idiots and bill people..

This is more about the fact that people didn't come to little Johnny's party - and how dare they not come to Johnny's party !!

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Good luck with that : there's no contract, agreement or anything else so she's no business sending anyone an invoice.

Also, taking a 5 year old to small claims !!!?? Emm.. I'm not sure where to start with how stupid that is.

She's a complete window-licking blithering idiot who should be beaten slowly to death with a rolled-up copy of the Wall Street Journal. Twice. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Out of curiosity, how could the woman who sent the invoice win a court claim on this? What legal rights does she have?

Bizarre story btw :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

The other crowd are just as embarrassing, going to the tabloids posing for photos with the kid holding the invoice looking all forlorn. Set of simpletons

Kolido wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how could the woman who sent the invoice win a court claim on this? What legal rights does she have?

Bizarre story btw :pac:

I should say she has the right to have any judge in the land peer disapprovingly over his bifocals at her while explaining to her exactly how much of an óinseach she is, and finally fining her £500 for wasting everyone's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

The fact that the parents had the means to generate a professional looking invoice makes me think that they are professional consultants of some kind and are quite used to billing people for their time. I feel bad for their child who might grow up thinking that time is money and they can charge for friendship.

grundie wrote: »
    The fact that the parents had the means to generate a professional looking invoice makes me think that they are professional consultants of some kind...

Quite possible. Always beware a half-educated fcukan fool. :pac:

grundie wrote: »
    The fact that the parents had the means to generate a professional looking invoice makes me think that they are professional consultants of some kind and are quite used to billing people for their time. I feel bad for their child who might grow up thinking that time is money and they can charge for friendship.

Or can use Word and a colour printer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

it costs more for the small court charges than they are going to get back £25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

These first world problems will destroy the nation.

Won't somebody think of the children.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

In Torpoint UK a 5 year old has been sent an invoice for failing to show up to another childs party, and leaving the other childs parents out of pocket to the tune of £16 the other side will go to the smalls claims court if unpaid.... silly people be silly.... no sleepovers allowed in that house.....

I'm under no illusion regarding the abundance of ássholes on this planet, but some people really do go out of their way to prove it.

Also, I'm pretty sure sending people who didn't agree anything with you an invoice and then demanding payment with threats of legal action is at the very least frowned upon by judges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I still don't understand how she's "out of pocket". If the child was there or not, it wouldn't make any difference right? Its not like the child was bringing the 16 quid to the party and she had to cover for him.

If anything, she actually saved money - the kid didn't eat her food, didn't mess up her house etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

16 sterling a head :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I still don't understand how she's "out of pocket". If the child was there or not, it wouldn't make any difference right? Its not like the child was bringing the 16 quid to the party and she had to cover for him.

Obvious, little Johnny didn't get the corresponding present :rolleyes:

The other crowd are just as embarrassing, going to the tabloids posing for photos with the kid holding the invoice looking all forlorn. Set of simpletons

Do they get paid for all that - I wonder how much nice little earner for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

And also to say poor was double booked to see his grandparents that day.

At least granny and granda won the day!

• Advertisement
Advertisement