Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going bald under 30

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

Realised I was starting to go bald at 21, every morning I take a Mac 3 to my head..... No regrets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

This really ran away from me, I've a receding hairline, bald patch and it's thinning on top!! From the replies shaving seems to be the way to go, I wish I didn't care about it as much as I do but I do!! Cheers for the replies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Willie Thorne looks well been bald

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

conorh91 wrote: »
    ahem

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/130/590x/secondary/151404.jpg

Lets see freckles permanently disappear like that?

Money is an obstacle to some degree, but nobody need go bald anymore.

Wayne Rooney seems to be the poster-boy for hair transplants, but ever notice how, every 18 months or so, he seems to have another thinning patch which he obviously has to get done as that patch wasn't originally transplanted. It's grand for him as he has the money to be going back for touch-ups, but it's not really feasible for most normal people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Started loosing hair at 24, take a tablet daily with my multivitamins, still have a fine (ish) head of hair now almost 4 years later. It's easy to stop these days.

Definitely if you're badly balding, just shave it though, it does make you look younger again.

I have a friend who's very badly balding, and he actually uses this hair fibre stuff - it's so good that I didn't even realise he was as bald as he is until he showed me his head without them. It's actually given him a few years of having a normal-ish head of hair when he didn't. I was impressed when I found out. I think that's more for diffuse thinning though, when you're thin all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Just get a permanent marker in whatever colour your hair is and fill in the gaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Candie wrote: »
    Get the clippers out and cut it tight. Bald denial is far uglier than a neat head with a short buzz all round.

In fairness, that is not true as some men would just would never suit it a "tight" haircut and there is no way you would think they were "ugly" for not doing so. Even if you did think they were in '(bald) denial'.

For example, could you imagine a young Woody Allen with a shaved head? Or for someone more attractive, how about a young Jack Nicholson? Here's Jack in the 80s were I think he looks so much better with growth than were he to have decided it was time to sport a shaved head look..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Started loosing hair at 24, take a tablet daily with my multivitamins, still have a fine (ish) head of hair now almost 4 years later. It's easy to stop these days.

Definitely if you're badly balding, just shave it though, it does make you look younger again.

I have a friend who's very badly balding, and he actually uses this hair fibre stuff - it's so good that I didn't even realise he was as bald as he is until he showed me his head without them. It's actually given him a few years of having a normal-ish head of hair when he didn't. I was impressed when I found out. I think that's more for diffuse thinning though, when you're thin all over.

What tablet is that ? if you don't mind me asking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

UCDVet wrote: »
    If you've got the money - you can get a hair transplant.
    If you don't want to spend that kind of money - you can shave your head.

Do hair transplants really work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Wayne Rooney seems to be the poster-boy for hair transplants, but ever notice how, every 18 months or so, he seems to have another thinning patch which he obviously has to get done as that patch wasn't originally transplanted. It's grand for him as he has the money to be going back for touch-ups, but it's not really feasible for most normal people.

Seen him on the TV this afternoon playing football. His hair on top looked like a load of chest hair or pubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What tablet is that ? if you don't mind me asking

Can have an affect with the baldie man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I have a friend who's very badly balding, and he actually uses this hair fibre stuff
    spray-on hair?

"The babes are back!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

hurlsey wrote: »
    This really ran away from me, I've a receding hairline, bald patch and it's thinning on top!! From the replies shaving seems to be the way to go, I wish I didn't care about it as much as I do but I do!! Cheers for the replies!!

Shaving it was the best thing i did. Unless you have a lego shaped head i somehow doubt you'll look worse, When something starts to affect your confidence its got to go imo. Give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dude, you are worrying too much I have to say. If you are losing hair then go into a good barbers and explain your situation like a man, and get the lot trimmed into a good short-style as they would know how to do so.

They will shape the hair to the shape of your head and it will be grand...amazing stuff they can do now.

Which is worse ? going bald or going completely grey/silver ???

Short cut dude that suits, but get it done by peter-marks trust me.

Silver/grey looks awesome. I would LOVE to have it and it beats going bald by a mile.
    It's grand for some man, who's baldness goes consistently. In my case it goes in patches on top of my head. No matter what design you will do, it looks ****.
    Going "shaved" is awesome. Officially one week since I did it and I just touch it up every now and then. I do keep a small beard/non shaved look too.
    It's nice for me and I could not give a **** about others opinion. At this point I do it, because I like the new look and not because I am going bald.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ladiesman216

My hairline has been receding away since I was 20, I'm 30 now and still putting off buzzing it all off. It's like Rooney...pre-op!
    I look at myself everyday and wish I had the balls to shave it. I'm single tho and feel I'm fooked when it comes to women once I buzz it. I used to be able to score good looking women but not anymore..but I promised myself I won't settle.
    **** happens tho I suppose so I'm doing my best to try and get into the mid frame that i can be happy on my own for the rest of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Just do as I do, Mach3 it every day, no point fighting nature!

Currently have a bit of a beard too so going for the 'Upside down head' look :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

I have a cousin and a mate going through the hair loss thing at the moment. I really feel for them, because, you do kind of get used to having the auld hair.

However, as has been said, the shaved look can be very sexy and - also - portrays confidence. AND, you wouldn't be worrying about somebody noticing a bald spot. It's a big change at first, but would be normal in no time.

I've never factored in a guy's hair when finding them attractive. And I'm extremely superficial. :pac:

The best bit is never having to sit in a long queue in a barber's again!
    Just make sure you have some nice warm hats for the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

kfallon wrote: »
    The best bit is never having to sit in a long queue in a barber's again!
    Just make sure you have some nice warm hats for the winter

Actually, I got a good hair trimmer on sale for 35eu. Got myself done and all.
    Each visit at barbers was costing me 15eu. So it won't take long for the thing to pay off. Plus I can keep up the look, not just go to barbers every few weeks. All those benefits, eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I have a cousin and a mate going through the hair loss thing at the moment. I really feel for them, because, you do kind of get used to having the auld hair.

However, as has been said, the shaved look can be very sexy and - also - portrays confidence. AND, you wouldn't be worrying about somebody noticing a bald spot. It's a big change at first, but would be normal in no time.

I've never factored in a guy's hair when finding them attractive. And I'm extremely superficial. :pac:

You probably have factored it in subconsciously

Each visit at barbers was costing me 15eu. So it won't take long for the thing to pay off. Plus I can keep up the look, not just go to barbers every few weeks. All those benefits, eh? :D

Even those not going bald will be getting out the Mach3 and shaving their heads, a no brainer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

bb1234567 wrote: »
    You probably have factored it in subconsciously

Fair point. But I was more meaning people that I would be chatting to, and would then do an internal check to see if I found them attractive or not. There would be certain features that are not for me, but hair wouldn't be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Nothing to worry about at all, shave it all off, a shaved head looks great on a guy. Can you grow some facial hair too contrast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Silver/grey looks awesome. I would LOVE to have it and it beats going bald by a mile.
    It's grand for some man, who's baldness goes consistently. In my case it goes in patches on top of my head. No matter what design you will do, it looks ****.
    Going "shaved" is awesome. Officially one week since I did it and I just touch it up every now and then. I do keep a small beard/non shaved look too.
    It's nice for me and I could not give a **** about others opinion. At this point I do it, because I like the new look and not because I am going bald.

Dude, I was a hippy a few days ago, long hair and it felt comfortable, but the beer kicked in to my friend and I let him shave it all off. Talk about feeling naked, even the hat is not cutting it, feels weird.

I'm well known here I'd say for my 'Just For Men' to rid the gray. if it was a slick masculine streak slittering through the top of my head it would be grand, but it looks like I saw a ghost, bang not gray but silver.

I might try this gray/silver sh!t out for a few weeks and see what happens ?

What could possibly happen ? at least if a bird sh!ts on me I can just rub it into the shade :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A close friend of mine was pretty much bald at 19. Now I couldn't imagine him with hair, it just wouldn't look right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Don't cheap out on your clippers though, I recently got this beast and its far better than the cheaper ones of the same brand (wahl) I had before

http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Professional-8110-Balding-Clipper/dp/B000VVT94G

If your at this stage you will be using it for life so might as well get a decent pair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

A close friend of mine was pretty much bald at 19. Now I couldn't imagine him with hair, it just wouldn't look right.
    Yerra he would it's just that you're too used to looking at his bald head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye and for one glaringly obvious reason; choice. It seems for bald men, the "shave it off" option is the only choice*. With greying hair, various hairstyles are still in play and the guy can also chose to dye it, or not. It seems to me anyway that the notion that being baldy is better than going grey makes near zero logical sense.

*or various potions and surgery if one can afford same and if they work and apparently some can give you impotence, painful balls and heart issues.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement