Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Climate change protests

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Nothing at all. Fair play to anyone who protests for change. They kept it peaceful too, which is brilliant.

But it's very difficult to take a protest seriously when all news coverage shows is people who seemingly have no clue what they're protesting for.

I hope a couple of educated spokespeople come out on behalf of the the protesters actually, because I agree with protesting against climate change.

This +++1

I was watching it on the news (TV3 I think) and my face hurt from cringing. It kept going from kid to kid with a mic in their face spouting the same generalist rubbish and then the reporter asked them "and what do you think the government should do about it?" and all of them stammered for a minute before saying "They need to listen to young people it's our future!" :o :rolleyes:

Out of all the kids they interviewed only one knew what she was talking about and why she was there. I know they're only kids and you can't expect them to know much about this stuff, but it was embarrassing.

If that protest had happened during the summer hols it would not have taken off. Of course there's not a hope it will be taken seriously: governments only take notice of people who threaten to withdraw their votes or their labour. The kiddos can do neither.

More generally, I think it's already too late to do much about climate change now. The last two years have seen multiple records broken or almost bested in terms of extreme weather in Ireland alone. It's already on top of us now and the changes that need to be made should have been made 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

20Cent wrote: »
    There is literally no point talking to climate change deniars at this stage. If the science can't convince them best leave them to their ignorance.

Who are these deniars or more to the point what is a deniar?

wiggle16 wrote: »
    This +++1

I was watching it on the news (TV3 I think) and my face hurt from cringing. It kept going from kid to kid with a mic in their face spouting the same generalist rubbish and then the reporter asked them "and what do you think the government should do about it?" and all of them stammered for a minute before saying "They need to listen to young people it's our future!" :o :rolleyes:

Out of all the kids they interviewed only one knew what she was talking about and why she was there. I know they're only kids and you can't expect them to know much about this stuff, but it was embarrassing.

If that protest had happened during the summer hols it would not have taken off. Of course there's not a hope it will be taken seriously: governments only take notice of people who threaten to withdraw their votes or their labour. The kiddos can do neither.

More generally, I think it's already too late to do much about climate change now. The last two years have seen multiple records broken or almost bested in terms of extreme weather in Ireland alone. It's already on top of us now and the changes that need to be made should have been made 20 years ago.
    So there you have it the weather over the last two years is proof of climate change :rolleyes:

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    So there you have it the weather over the last two years is proof of climate change :rolleyes:
    Oh, there we go. Reductionist paraphrasing with a sarcastic emoji to thoroughly misrepresent what I've said. How have you not been booked for Vicar Street yet?

Multiple longstanding records being broken over a short space of time would indicate that there is something very unusual happening, and that therefore something is changing. Like the climate, maybe.

Oh, there we go. Reductionist paraphrasing with a sarcastic emoji to thoroughly misrepresent what I've said. How have you not been booked for Vicar Street yet?

Multiple longstanding records being broken over a short space of time would indicate that there is something very unusual happening, and that therefore something is changing. Like the climate, maybe.

You mean like all the predictions climate scientists make that fail to pan out?https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/10/30/some-failed-climate-predictions/

You mean like all the predictions climate scientists make that fail to pan out?https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/10/30/some-failed-climate-predictions/

Please.

No, I don't. I mean the observable, demonstrable changes to the climate and the environment you can see all around you if you peeled yourself away from a screen for a few minutes.
    The ones I've seen so far myself this year: Plants coming out of the ground and into bloom weeks if not months in advance (daffodils, dicentra, digitalis, crocosmia) or blooming non-stop through a winter that should have killed them (agapanthus, cosmos) . Bats awaking from hibernation before there is anything for them to eat. Black ants active and outdoors in February. Roses coming into bud in December. On Friday I saw a magpie feeding chicks - she shouldn't even be laying eggs until April. And I live in Dublin city, not the countryside. All of these things point to higher than average temperatures over a sustained period - accounted for by climate change.

We could throw links back and forth at one another all day long. It would be great fun, but I'm not arsed explaining this to you and unfortunately I can't understand it for you.

Off you go to google for another link that will explain away everything I've said, and a short quip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

20Cent wrote: »
    DKNR8h7W4AA5RGA.jpg
    That meme gets used to dismiss but there is plenty of truth in it - lots of people moan about other people not improving things, and it is nonsense to complain about Apple from an iPhone and about capitalism via Facebook and about society when we are all part of society.

I'm not a climate change denier btw but I just really dislike that meme! I wouldn't have a problem with this demonstration either (and as I said, glad of the awareness being created) but I don't think those taking part, generally, are going to change their own environment impacting habits.

Please.

No, I don't. I mean the observable, demonstrable changes to the climate and the environment you can see all around you if you peeled yourself away from a screen for a few minutes.
    The ones I've seen so far myself this year: Plants coming out of the ground and into bloom weeks if not months in advance (daffodils, dicentra, digitalis, crocosmia) or blooming non-stop through a winter that should have killed them (agapanthus, cosmos) . Bats awaking from hibernation before there is anything for them to eat. Black ants active and outdoors in February. Roses coming into bud in December. On Friday I saw a magpie feeding chicks - she shouldn't even be laying eggs until April. And I live in Dublin city, not the countryside. All of these things point to higher than average temperatures over a sustained period - accounted for by climate change.

We could throw links back and forth at one another all day long. It would be great fun, but I'm not arsed explaining this to you and unfortunately I can't understand it for you.

Off you go to google for another link that will explain away everything I've said, and a short quip.

We had mild winters 20 years ago with daffodils blooming in November/December nothing new. Maybe you should stop making assumptions I work outdoors. Do you know it’s a discussion forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

We had mild winters 20 years ago with daffodils blooming in November/December nothing new. Maybe you should stop making assumptions I work outdoors. Do you know it’s a discussion forum?

Yes. And right now we are discussing how some people are so ignorant that they think their subjective opinion is a valid counter point to the scientific evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

That meme gets used to dismiss but there is plenty of truth in it - lots of people moan about other people not improving things, and it is nonsense to complain about Apple from an iPhone and about capitalism via Facebook and about society when we are all part of society.

If that was the case nothing would change ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Please.

Not to be a denier of anything tbh but much of what you've observed are in effect the effects of local weather and not climate. And yes there is a difference.

Its also important to remember that cities are generally warmer than surrounding areas due to the thermic effect of buildings and artificial surfaces which have a tendency to retain heat over a longer length of time than extensive grassland for example.

Whilst personal observations may be useful when collected systematically and collated using scientific methods - such observations are not particularly good at informing long term trends. These type of observations often fail because they may be subject to observational bias and generally lack scientific rationale.

That said such observations can have value such as here where they can be recorded and analysed for trends etc

https://records.biodiversityireland.ie

I agree general link ping pong helps no one tbh. So you can take the above as I've explained or indeed you can ignore it. I would note however that your mention of quips is a bit ironic as you have engaged in this yourself eg the vicar street reference etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

"Green" costs money. Governments and the general public don't like spending money they think they don't have to.
    You know this already.

Weird statement. Governments love when money is spent. It's how we generate more money. It's not like they get to share out any surplus at the end of the year.

Advertisement