Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ballymun to Bray Bus Announced

Options
  • 14-01-2019 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

I was listening to the radio this morning and heard that Dublin Bus are to introduce a new route, the 155 in February between Ballymun and Bray:

https://lovindublin.com/news/dublin-bus-new-route-february

They said that it will also have a stop in Dun Laoghaire. I imagine that it will utilise the Rock Road QBC and Sallynoggin too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭p_haugh

It was originally going to follow the route of 145 from Bray to CC, then the 4 to Ballymun and then branch off to Ikea. Since when was it going via Dun Laoghaire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I think there was a miss interpretation saying it was to go via DL. It was a Northside councillor who said it so they probably wouldn't know the area very well. It's following the same route as the 145 between Bray and town and then going on to IKEA. It was announced a couple of months ago but I'd imagine the timetable and exact routing will be released in a few weeks time. I believe the Northside routing will be broadly similar to the 4 and 13. It will be on the N11 not the Rock Road afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I guess only time will tell. I imagine that the journey length will be upwards of 90 minutes given the distance it will travel whether it be the Rock Road or N11.

I guess only time will tell. I imagine that the journey length will be upwards of 90 minutes given the distance it will travel whether it be the Rock Road or N11.

I'm not sure if this route is really a good idea I would have thought beefing up the 145 would be a better option Bray is always a nightmare to get in and out traffic wise but I guess it has the added advantage of adding capacity between the cc and Ballymun as the 13 and the 4 are both struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

I think it would be better if this new bus route went straight down to the quays from Ballymun (similar to the 83). I'm not sure how many more buses we can shove up O'Connell Street

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is there any sign that they might be reducing the frequency of some of the buses which share routes with it?
    e.g. if it pretty much follows most of the 4 route, does this mean the 4 can be dialled back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

is there any sign that they might be reducing the frequency of some of the buses which share routes with it?
    e.g. if it pretty much follows most of the 4 route, does this mean the 4 can be dialled back?

Doubt it very much. The 4 has only had an increase introduced recently and the 13 will be beefed up soon.

It's only following the 4 routing on the Northside on the Southside it will travel along much the same route as the 145 I don't think DB are going to run anymore buses on the Rock Road. The original press release said it will be travelling along the N11 I don't where Dun Laoghaire is coming out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

jd wrote: »
    I think it would be better if this new bus route went straight down to the quays from Ballymun (similar to the 83). I'm not sure how many more buses we can shove up O'Connell Street

I think it would be better to have it as a direct express route avoiding the city centre. Go around the M50. One stop at either end.

Otherwise you might risk denizens of either place getting off the bus in other areas and potentially mixing with regular folk.

Not serving Dun Laoghaire and running on the N11 confirmed by the NTA as I thought. To be introduced no later than early March.

https://cabinteelylife.com/2019/01/15/dublin-bus-confirm-new-route-serving-cabinteely-n11-corridor/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

God no...right now the only game in town is expansion of services...ALL services,whether by adding routes/departures or by rectifying wildly unrealistic schedules,all of which are currently being attempted.

It has to be realized,and accepted,that the City's Administration,backed by Government Policy has to be forumulated at least 5-10 years in advance of actual changes,and Public Transport is but a single facet of this process.

Make no mistake,but be very clear that unrestricted Private Car access to city-Centre's across Europe will continue to be reduced,and that includes Dublin.

Dublin's reality is of a hugely restricted Heavy Rail system,which is not easily addressed in a timeframe of less than two decades,so for the foreseeable future it's the BUS,like it or lump it,and that means BusConnects in some form or other.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Pensioners could make a nice earner by doing ikea runs for the bray local. Use their free travel to pick up candles and pillows !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Improved direct connectivity between UCD & DCU also which is another advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was confused with that LovinDublin article about the bus going through Dun Laoghaire.

Who needs the 155 through there when Dun Laoghaire has the 45a/b & the DART going between there & Bray?

Still. It's good news all round for people living along the N11 to have another bus going further up Dublin's Northside.

I was confused with that LovinDublin article about the bus going through Dun Laoghaire.

It was Noleen Reilly a Northside councillor who initially reported that it would be going only to DL. She probably thought that DL and Bray were right beside one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

So, this new route is basically 98% of the E1 proposed by BusConnects? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

ted1 wrote: »
    Pensioners could make a nice earner by doing ikea runs for the bray local. Use their free travel to pick up candles and pillows !!

The buses will incorporate a roof rack to facilitate beds & other large goods!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

So is this route going to be 24 hours?

bg07 wrote: »
    So is this route going to be 24 hours?

No plans as yet.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    No plans as yet.
    Do you know if it goes up O'Connell Street (like the 4) or uses the quays (like the 145/83)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Whats the big demand for Ballymuners to go to Bray? Bizarre route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

What an utterly pointless route. Just what the city need a other cross city route via an lár. Was any thought give to increasing connectivity to the airport from Ballymun?

jd wrote: »
    Do you know if it goes up O'Connell Street (like the 4) or uses the quays (like the 145/83)?

Yes 145 route to Westmoreland St then 140 route from OCS.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Yes 145 route to Westmoreland St then 140 route from OCS.
    140? So not just another route pushed through O'Connell Street, but it serves more of Finglas than Ballymun!

Whats the big demand for Ballymuners to go to Bray? Bizarre route.

Where's the demand for Ballymuners to go to Monkstown or Grange Castle where the 4 and 13 go to. It's a cross city route designed for intermediate journies between Bray and the city centre and Ballymun and the city centre mostly. A bus service stops along the way it doesn't only run for people wishing to go from terminus to terminus.

What an utterly pointless route. Just what the city need a other cross city route via an lár. Was any thought give to increasing connectivity to the airport from Ballymun?

There used to be three bus routes between Bray and the city centre the 45, 84 and the 145 but this has been cut back to only the 145 since network direct so there's definitely a demand for increased capacity on this route as the 145 is currently full and leaving people behind at bus stops. So room for extra capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What's the point of these ultra long running routes on low frequency 20 minute schedules, as the buses are going to be randomly spread out and you won't know if 5 will be along in a minute, or the next one won't be for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Stephen15 wrote:
    Where's the demand for Ballymuners to go to Monkstown or Grange Castle where the 4 and 13 go to. It's a cross city route designed for intermediate journies between Bray and the city centre and Ballymun and the city centre mostly. A bus service stops along the way it doesn't only run for people wishing to go from terminus to terminus.

Even though it can be quite slow, this route is handy for going to Croke Park from Lucan, Clondalkin etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

[PHP][/PHP]
    Stephen15 wrote: »

Increase the 13 frequency so, its utterly crap.

Advertisement