Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham Antepost

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Laurina wins by 6L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Who was the last horse to win a Gold Cup second time out on the back of a right handed hurdle run ?

Who was the last horse to fail to win the Gold Cup second time out on the back of a right handed hurdle run?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Laurina wins by 6L

looked decent enough, thank god, so she wont go for mares, hopefully.

Champion Hurdle looks the race of the festival at the moment.

(that said she will need to actually be Aniie Power to have any chance of beating Apples Jade)

Thought she looked very good also
    Ruby had a look before the last, said "off you go" and she sailed away on the bridle
    Easy as she liked

WPM stable tour suggested Beni is in fine fettle so will go Mares, so that should be that then

I see some people saying she wasnt jumping slick enough to worry BD............Have those people not watched ANY of BDs races this year???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Ah jaysus lads, apples jade is no where near as good as Annie power was, don’t believe what you’ve seen, she hasn’t improved, the rest have regressed in Ireland.
    Look back at last couple of seasons and you can see how beatable apples jade is.
    Laurina and Buveur will both finish of front of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Panrich

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Who was the last horse to fail to win the Gold Cup second time out on the back of a right handed hurdle run?

Very few horses show up with one previous run that season in the past 11 years (10) but of those....

Two winners with one run (both LH chase) in the last decade. Native River (2018) and Bobs Worth (2013). Bobs Worth had only one run in the Hennessy (won) since winning the previous years RSA so that's a strong parallel for Presenting Percy.

Last horse that lost after one RH run (chase) was Denman (2009) also lost in 2011 after one run (LH).

No horse in the last 11 years has lost after one RH hurdle run. Azulejo (2008 @200/1, PU) had two runs over hurdles (RH).

Contraband (2008 also 200/1, PU) had one run over hurdles in that season (LH)

Presenting Percy is in rare company unless he rocks up in Fairyhouse on Saturday.

Ruby on timeform just said She will go Champion Hurdle, she has "earned a crack at it"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Jaysus you're getting very worked up there, are you ok?

Admittedly I might have sounded harsh. However I don't think anything I said is bonkers either. My main point is, that I do not think one run over hurdles is near the preparation required to be winning a Gold Cup. The fact that on the back of this the bookies have made the horse favourite just makes me laugh.

If someone from the yard piped up and said it was part of a 2 race plan to include the Irish Grand National, I might say, " ohhhh". But I don't think that is happening.

Finally for Presenting Percy to win the gold cup he only has to beat,

3 x King George Winners
    1 X Gold Cup Winner, Welsh National and Hennessy Winner
    1 X Welsh National Winner
    1 X RSA winners
    2 X Lexus winners

This list is not exhaustive etc etc.

On the back of this the bookies make him favourite?

I don't mind being wrong about this. But believe me there will be better 3/1 shots to have your bet on over the next few weeks. It is a crazy price.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Admittedly I might have sounded harsh. However I don't think anything I said is bonkers either. My main point is, that I do not think one run over hurdles is near the preparation required to be winning a Gold Cup. The fact that on the back of this the bookies have made the horse favourite just makes me laugh.

If someone from the yard piped up and said it was part of a 2 race plan to include the Irish Grand National, I might say, " ohhhh". But I don't think that is happening.

Finally for Presenting Percy to win the gold cup he only has to beat,

3 x King George Winners
    1 X Gold Cup Winner, Welsh National and Hennessy Winner
    1 X Welsh National Winner
    1 X RSA winners
    2 X Lexus winners

This list is not exhaustive etc etc.

On the back of this the bookies make him favourite?

I don't mind being wrong about this. But believe me there will be better 3/1 shots to have your bet on over the next few weeks. It is a crazy price.

Everything about presenting Percy’s preparation down the years have been unorthodox but he’s trained by a relatively unknown trainer who hasn’t got it wrong yet,the horse isn’t injured and hasn’t been they are just minding him.
    He should be a bit bigger price but his form promises so much more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Its All Guesswork looked to be the one to take out of that Pertemps qualifier today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Johner wrote: »
    Its All Guesswork looked to be the one to take out of that Pertemps qualifier today.

Big time. Still doesnt beat Gordon's other lad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

akelly02 wrote: »
    you will be laying him on the day so?

Yes have been laying him for the last few weeks and will continue to do so.

Cheltenham Certainties in my eyes
    Tiger roll - cross country @ 5/4
    Benie Des deaux - mares hurdle @ 15/8
    Altior - champ chase @ 2/5
    Sir Erec - triumph @ 6/4

Double on apples jade and paisley park not to win lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭gillamandango

So apparently some considered Tin Soldier a good shot at the Pertemps; does todays result not allow the horse to qualify as there are no other qualifier races left in Ireland?

So apparently some considered Tin Soldier a good shot at the Pertemps; does todays result not allow the horse to qualify as there are no other qualifier races left in Ireland?

Didnt qualify, cant run. Simple as.

Horse drifted like a barge and was never put in the race, so qualifying was never the intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Cheltenham Certainties in my eyes
    Tiger roll - cross country @ 5/4
    Benie Des deaux - mares hurdle @ 15/8
    Altior - champ chase @ 2/5
    Sir Erec - triumph @ 6/4

Double on apples jade and paisley park not to win lol.
    PP special 16/1 the above 4 horse accum i see.
    *Prices above pay better i see!

My mug acca is:
    Ok Corral
    BDD
    Altior
    Tiger Roll

My treble im happy with is:
    PP
    Sir Erec (11/4)
    Apples Jade

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

Laurina is such a clumsy jumper, reminds me of Faugheen. She's probably nearly bigger than him too, massive yoke. Does she have his engine? Don't know. Am I willing to pay to find out? No.

If Apple's Jade runs to the form she ran to in Leopardstown, she wins. I don't believe she will though. Last year's Mares Hurdle would put me off piling into her. Buveur D'air will probably go off fav and he shouldn't when AJ is the most likely winner imo.

Sharjah has been on the go a very long time and wants the ground like a road.

Melon is 20/1 with unibet. Crazy price. Will go off half that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Benie Des deaux will need to improve from last years run to win this years Mares Hurdle

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Benie Des deaux will need to improve from last years run to win this years Mares Hurdle

I don’t think so but probably will anyway seen as it was her first hurdle run for Mullins, she improved at punchestown anyway when she beat the same cheltenham horses easily.
    Mullins knows how to win this race more than anyone else and this is his banker.
    Laurina and apples jade won’t go here and I wouldn’t worry about the rest.

• Advertisement

I don’t think so but probably will anyway seen as it was her first hurdle run for Mullins, she improved at punchestown anyway when she beat the same cheltenham horses easily.
    Mullins knows how to win this race more than anyone else and this is his banker.
    Laurina and apples jade won’t go here and I wouldn’t worry about the rest.

Liminis run 2 years ago will beat BDD imo. She ran an eye catching race behind Presenting Percy lto.

Slattsy wrote: »
    My mug acca is:
    Ok Corral
    BDD
    Altior
    Tiger Roll

PP
    Sir Erec (11/4)
    Apples Jade

Whigh PP you gangster Slattsy 😉

Liminis run 2 years ago will beat BDD imo. She ran an eye catching race behind Presenting Percy lto.

I’m surprised you think that, because on all known form limini loses to apples jade every time and on the form book again benie Des deaux is 2/2 versus apples jade so benie should be able to deal with whatever limini shows up on a line through apples jade.

I do think limini will be involved in the places I just feel she is a bit exposed now and she wouldn’t want a battle, once push comes to shove she tends to go backwards rather than forwards.

I’m surprised you think that, because on all known form limini loses to apples jade every time and on the form book again benie Des deaux is 2/2 versus apples jade so benie should be able to deal with whatever limini shows up on a line through apples jade.

I do think limini will be involved in the places I just feel she is a bit exposed now and she wouldn’t want a battle, once push comes to shove she tends to go backwards rather than forwards.

Apples Jade was nowhere near her best in her runs against BDD. She ran mid 140s in last seasons mares hurdle thats nearly 2 stone below her best.

Thats not to say BDD wont improve on last seasons run. I just couldnt back her at the prices.

Apples Jade was nowhere near her best in her runs against BDD. She ran mid 140s in last seasons mares hurdle thats nearly 2 stone below her best.

Thats not to say BDD wont improve on last seasons run. I just couldnt back her at the prices.

I know where your coming from, I just don’t believe she was so far off her best last season,she has raced against terrible opposition this season.
    1st run she beat jezki and arctic fire, horses in there twilight years.
    2nd run she beat a fat supasundae on seasonal debut and limini haveing first run over hurdles in 21 months.
    3rd run is not worth mentioning as it’s a mixture of horses from runs 1 and 2, faugheen fell without ever getting to challenge.
    4th run she again beats the same animals from previous runs apart from a below par melon.

All her form is suspect this season
    Only thing is her times are excellent but then again the times have been good on them days anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

I know where your coming from, I just don’t believe she was so far off her best last season,she has raced against terrible opposition this season.
    1st run she beat jezki and arctic fire, horses in there twilight years.
    2nd run she beat a fat supasundae on seasonal debut and limini haveing first run over hurdles in 21 months.
    3rd run is not worth mentioning as it’s a mixture of horses from runs 1 and 2, faugheen fell without ever getting to challenge.
    4th run she again beats the same animals from previous runs apart from a below par melon.

All her form is suspect this season
    Only thing is her times are excellent but then again the times have been good on them days anyways.

Jaysus there is some contradictions in that post

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Jaysus there is some contradictions in that post

I don’t think so, perhaps I explained myself wrong, I am just saying apples jade hasn’t become a 2 stone better horse from last season.
    It is highly doubtful at her age and amount of runs she is getting better.
    she’s the same horse as last year she just hasn’t had a decent horse run against her yet to prove it.
    So when she does turn up in the champion hurdle she will be found out and the way it’s shaping up (laurina, buvuer D’air, Sharjah,melon, espoir d,Allen, verdana blue, brain power)
    I’m struggling to see her in the places let alone be a banker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Slattsy wrote: »
    My mug acca is:
    Ok Corral
    BDD
    Altior
    Tiger Roll

PP
    Sir Erec (11/4)
    Apples Jade

PP is a sneaky hedge paisley or presenting:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I just read a story which stated Mullins will have a reduced team of about 40, in comparison to 60. In it he says there has been no rain all winter, is he taking the piss? It has lashed rain for at least the last 3 months. That's an amazing statement.

Advertisement