Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

seligehgit wrote: »
    The night before the big championship opener all roads lead to Rosie O Grady's 800 7th Avenue New York 7 PM to Midnight.

Admission 50 dollars at the door.

Guest appearances and talk by current team management.

Former players will be in attendance.

All funds going to the Mayo GAA training centre,Mayo Roscommon hospice and the Mayo New York GAA club.

A good spot is Rosie's. More than likely will end up there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Which fundraiser is this now....is it the one the players are boycotting, the one they are going to, the one Horan won't let them go to, or the one they are organizing themselves? And who is going to be in charge of the biscuit tin on the night? Or does everyone have a go at holding it? That seems fairer. And most importantly of all, what kind of biscuits are they....USA? ;)

Ah now, not that the Dubs would need any fundraiser ;) #crokeparksponsoredteam ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

yop wrote: »
    Ah now, not that the Dubs would need any fundraiser ;) #crokeparksponsoredteam ;)

Not fair that we don't have one, seeing as we bank roll the rest of the GAA. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭irishgeo

you mean the gaa bankrolls the dubs.

No. We bank roll the GAA that bank rolls us while we bank roll the GAA. It's all the Mayo Co Boards fault & the money was just resting in a biscuit tin in the boot of a 2012 Renault Megane belonging to the Treasurer of the Galway Co board. Do try & keep up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BandMember

You sure about that??

You are right about one thing though - ye don't have one, because ye already had two. :cool:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/stars-line-up-for-dublin-club-s-fundraiser-in-chicago-1.3621048

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/sam-maguire-cup-back-with-dublin-football-team-after-going-missing-in-new-york-881691.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

No. We bank roll the GAA that bank rolls us while we bank roll the GAA. It's all the Mayo Co Boards fault & the money was just resting in a biscuit tin in the boot of a 2012 Renault Megane belonging to the Treasurer of the Galway Co board. Do try & keep up.

You need to over to the Galway thread and ask them how banking facilities work out of the boot of a car! :) They are NAMA level there ;)

I'm always a bit skeptical of these types of fund raisers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

You need to over to the Galway thread and ask them how banking facilities work out of the boot of a car! :) They are NAMA level there ;)

Galway! Galway! Galway!..........ye're like a post brexit Britain looking longingly at first world countries.

Well seeing as Pearse Stadium has neither a safe nor a cash register, we thought about loaning them one of the spare solid gold cash registers from John Costello's office. But upon mature reflection, thought wiser of it. It would probably end up on Done Deal in the "one careful owner" section.

We fell off page 1!!! We cant let that happen ;)

Looking forward to next week, under lights its one of the best venus around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

ProudDUB wrote:

Our officials drive Audi's. They wouldn't know a Renault if I ran them over in it.

Yeah. So does Aidan O'Shea. Our lot have to be content with humble Skodas and Subaru's. All well & good to have the Pope driving through Ballymun in one, but it's just not the same, is it?

Aido's going well this Spring, if his fan club on the Mayo News podcast is anything to go by. Is he going to lay down a marker, or make a statement of intent...or indulge in any of those other well worn Spring time cliche's?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Yeah. So does Aidan O'Shea. Our lot have to be content with humble Skodas and Subaru's. All well & good to have the Pope driving through Ballymun in one, but it's just not the same, is it?

Aido's going well this Spring, if his fan club on the Mayo News podcast is anything to go by. Is he going to lay down a marker, or make a statement of intent...or indulge in any of those other well worn Spring time cliche's?
    Maybe all he needed was the summer off like the rest of the team. The break could be the making of us. When was the last time they had a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BandMember

irishgeo wrote: »
    Maybe all he needed was the summer off like the rest of the team. The break could be the making of us. When was the last time they had a break.

2010 I would imagine. That's a long time putting up some serious mileage....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

BandMember wrote: »
    2010 I would imagine. That's a long time putting up some serious mileage....

Yep
    Between 2011 and 2017 they went.
    SF
    Final
    Final
    SF replay
    SF replay
    Final replay
    Final.

No wonder they are fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

Kerry supporter here. Just wondering if anyone knows where Tom Parsons is in his recovery? Any ETA for him coming back into the team? It was so horrific, is there a chance he won't come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Last I heard (a while back) he was back running. I'm very in and out of the loop these days though, so don't know if that's true or not. Still think he might be a long way off playing a competitive match.

He's been consistently one of our best players for a while now. Wouldn't like to be without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Barry Cassidy is the man in the middle on Saturday night.

It's a scary thought given our recent record but I can't wait to head into Croker for the game on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Kumejima wrote: »
    Kerry supporter here. Just wondering if anyone knows where Tom Parsons is in his recovery? Any ETA for him coming back into the team? It was so horrific, is there a chance he won't come back?

James Horan was asked about him after the Cavan game but the response was fairly vague. Just said that he expects Parsons, Cillian O'Connor and Cian Hanley to be back in the the next couple of months.

Would love to see him return but his general well being is the most important thing. If there's a chance the knee could go again it might be best to forget about football.

• Advertisement

He's been consistently one of our best players for a while now. Wouldn't like to be without him.

Not against us he isn't. Games tend to pass him by for the most part. He's not nearly as influential as the likes of Keegan, O'Connor, Higgins etc etc against us. Dunno if it's a lack of pace/speed of the game thing with him or what, but I'd be much more worried about what 4 or 5 other Mayo players are up to, before him. Will I get lynched now for saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not against us he isn't. Games tend to pass him by for the most part. He's not nearly as influential as the likes of Keegan, O'Connor, Higgins etc etc against us. Dunno if it's a lack of pace/speed of the game thing with him or what, but I'd be much more worried about what 4 or 5 other Mayo players are up to, before him. Will I get lynched now for saying that?

Mayo have not beaten Dublin since 2012.
    I think it's a total of 12 games.
    In all that time we have seen AOS have stromers against Sligo, Roscommon, Galway, Donegal, maybe even against Kerry

But never against Dublin.

He really needs a big big game v Dublin or else there will always be the shadow of him going missing when it really really matters.

I don't think he was posted missing in the '17 final to be fair.

I don't think he was posted missing in the '17 final to be fair.

Was that the one where he had a lovely hand off to Keegan for a goal?

It was a peach of a goal in fairness. But if it's the same game I'm thinking off, he wasn't a factor in the game, after the 45th minute or thereabouts. That is way too long to be going missing imo. He's such a big man, maybe the pace the game is played at and the heat of the day, means he just can't be effective over the full 70 minutes. It's no fault of his own, if he can't. But when is a Mayo manager going to be brave enough to take him off after 50 minutes, or not start him in the first place & spring him from the bench?

He draws enough column inches as it is. Doing that would create an even bigger kerfuffle. I don't envy them, especially as the older & less mobile he gets, the more of a problem it's going to be. Ah well, at least he won't have to worry about the heat on Saturday. :(

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    James Horan was asked about him after the Cavan game but the response was fairly vague. Just said that he expects Parsons, Cillian O'Connor and Cian Hanley to be back in the the next couple of months.

Would love to see him return but his general well being is the most important thing. If there's a chance the knee could go again it might be best to forget about football.

Thought it was mentioned that he wouldn't be back this season??

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I doubt it has been confirmed either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

It's been less than a year. He may get a run for next years league, not a hope before that

The Gaelic Football Show

Episode Three Enda Varley,Murphy's best position,Toxic Dubs Mayo Rivalry

https://cdn.radiocms.net/radio-cms/uploads/2019/02/20175427/2002-gaelic-football-show-EP3-POD.mp3

Very good podcast.

Great interview with Enda Varley discussing all things Mayo for the first 19 minutes.

The end of the podcast raises any interesting question.

Will Cluxton start for Dublin on Saturday?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cossy09

HI Guys

Based in Dublin (Mayo Father). Bringing him on Sat night to Croker. I am a Dub but have been supporting Mayo since 2006 . Main reason is for my father . He is elderly and has only memories of listening to the 50'51 Finals on a radio when he was 10/11 . So we have had some great trip's over the last 8 years around the country ultimately ending in disappointment. We got to no games last year due to Mayo's poor season.

So looking forward to Sat night. I have bought 2 tickets in Lower Hogan. My sister has now asked if we could bring her 5 year old along . Does anyone know the story here? Can we just turn up and pay a fiver at the gate for my nephew to get in. He can sit on my knee or I am sure we can move around as it wont be full capacity .? Dont have kids of my own so just wondering if that would work. ?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

cossy09 wrote: »
    HI Guys

Based in Dublin (Mayo Father). Bringing him on Sat night to Croker. I am a Dub but have been supporting Mayo since 2006 . Main reason is for my father . He is elderly and has only memories of listening to the 50'51 Finals on a radio when he was 10/11 . So we have had some great trip's over the last 8 years around the country ultimately ending in disappointment. We got to no games last year due to Mayo's poor season.

So looking forward to Sat night. I have bought 2 tickets in Lower Hogan. My sister has now asked if we could bring her 5 year old along . Does anyone know the story here? Can we just turn up and pay a fiver at the gate for my nephew to get in. He can sit on my knee or I am sure we can move around as it wont be full capacity .? Dont have kids of my own so just wondering if that would work. ?

Cheers

Dont think theres kids tickets for the hogan. Doubt theyd let him in free either

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement