Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,150 ✭✭✭✭km79

Reape is been shown up tonight I’m afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 14,927 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Farting around hand passing and looking clueless. No one making any breaks and Andy Moran still on the pitch. Ffs at least put OShea at full forward and kick it into hi, try to create ****ing something.

Same old ****ing Horan.

If there is a weakness in that Dublin defence, it`s under the high ball. The way this game has gone from early on it makes no sense whatsoever not to have put A O Shea in at full forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Out of his depth, afraid to take responsibility.

blackwhite wrote: »
    The rule is fine.

The problem is the inconsistency of referees who selectively choose when to implement the rules and when to ignore them.

The biggest problem with the rule is the ten minutes does not take stoppages into account resulting in messing and play-acting by the team down a player killing time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Very poor performance by mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭franklyon

At least with Rochford you always got another option. Horan has no tactical awareness at all.

charlie14 wrote: »
    The biggest problem with the rule is the ten minutes does not take stoppages into account resulting in messing and play-acting by the team down a player killing time

Boyle knew what he was at :D
    It is silly

A lot of the same failings from Horans last reign are there for me
    As I suspected they would be

Gakway game is tricky now
    They will set up as they always do and we could be missing Diarmuid and Paddy durkan who would be vital to break the lines

Thought ruane snowed well tonight. Mcdonagh too at times . Treacy isn’t up to it imo (I know he went off injured ) and I have reservations that Reape has the pace required

franklyon wrote: »
    At least with Rochford you always got another option. Horan has no tactical awareness at all.

Be careful what ye wish for was what i said at the time ..........
    Rochford never had a right run at the league on due to reaching latter stages of championship
    I’d have likes to see how he would have done this year

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭White lighting

Reape is not good enough. Loads of talk because he scored a goal against Roscommon after taking about 15 steps. Can understand why Rochford didnt fancy him he was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Horrendous stuff.

Can't see mayo beating even a weakened Galway given how they'll set up. Zero up front again. Woeful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

charlie14 wrote: »

Yeah stupid rule but TBF it was the umpire.

Very disappointing night at the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

That was a bit of a pasting.

That performance was neither fish nor fowl. I do not know what Horan`s game plan was, (or even if there was one), but there was no plan B. From his time away there does not seem to be much change in that regard.
    As too the new blood, Fionn McDonagh looked good at times as did Ruane. Reape I`m afraid just does not have the mobility required at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Farting around hand passing and looking clueless. No one making any breaks and Andy Moran still on the pitch. Ffs at least put OShea at full forward and kick it into hi, try to create ****ing something.

Same old ****ing Horan.

Agreed.

There was a stark contrast in the pace of the Dublin team's transition of passing and seamlessness of same.

We're really struggling in the middle of the park and on our own kickouts.

I lost count on how many times we turned over the ball cheaply.

All things we didn't do so much in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

jr86 wrote: »
    Horrendous stuff.

Can't see mayo beating even a weakened Galway given how they'll set up. Zero up front again. Woeful

Galway was just as woeful against Dublin a few weeks ago. Next weeks game in Machale Park will likely be a low scoring dour contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

The only mayo player that can be happy with his performance there tonight was Robbie Hennelly.

Top scorer with 2 points and 5 or 6 fine saves.
    He should have taken the penalty as well.

Andy Moran’s shot when clear in on goal was abysmal as was the penalty miss.

Cian O Sullivan had Aiden O Shea in his pocket all night.

Drab, dire and insipid stuff.

No energy, no high press, no urgency.
    Kerry and Monaghan gave Mayo the game plan on how to at least take Dublin on.
    No tactics from Horan and the shooting from Reape in particular was woeful.

Bad night at the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭White lighting

The only mayo player that can be happy with his performance there tonight was Robbie Hennelly.

Top scorer with 2 points and 5 or 6 fine saves.
    He should have taken the penalty as well.

Andy Moran’s shot when clear in on goal was abysmal as was the penalty miss.

Cian O Sullivan had Aiden O Shea in his pocket all night.

Drab, dire and insipid stuff.

No energy, no high press, no urgency.
    Kerry and Monaghan gave Mayo the game plan on how to at least take Dublin on.
    No tactics from Horan and the shooting from Reape in particular was woeful.

Bad night at the office.

Not a Mayo person but from neutral point view apart from Hennelly only other player who looked intrested tonight and put in a shift was the new midfielder Ruane i think

Not a Mayo person but from neutral point view apart from Hennelly only other player who looked intrested tonight and put in a shift was the new midfielder Ruane i think

Yeah he had a good second half
    Optimistic about him
    Pretty mobile

I am hoping mayo are in the middle of heavy training Cos a lot of lads you would expect to be tearing around the place seemed unable to
    It wasn’t a game we needed to win so maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

He played well for the first 6-7 mins of 2nd half and clipped over one good score.

Mayo midfield were a non event unfortunately.

Diarmuid O C badly missed.

For all AOS’ new found leanness and mobility, he didn’t show it tonight.

Maybe mayo are in the middle of a heavy training cycle with no taper got this game.
    We can but but hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

He played well for the first 6-7 mins of 2nd half and clipped over one good score.

Mayo midfield were a non event unfortunately.

Diarmuid O C badly missed.

For all AOS’ new found leanness and mobility, he didn’t show it tonight.

Maybe mayo are in the middle of a heavy training cycle with no taper got this game.
    We can but but hope.

I don't read too much into 1 off poor performances in the league like this game. 2 years ago we were hockeyed by Dublin in lashing rain and it didn't influence our summer. For all we know, Horan may have run the absolute sh1te out of them this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I was expecting a training session for Mayo men's team, and that seems to have been what we got.
    Very happy with Hennelly. The Dubs were lobbing in a lot of high balls at him in the 1st half and he acquitted himself well under them.
    We had I think a missed penalty and 13 wides?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Horrendous stuff.

Posters such as yourself we're talking about league finals after Mayo beat Tyrone a few weeks ago and now they won't beat a weakened Galway next weekend.

Get perspective.

I believe in this notion that in the league teams target games they want to win and games where the result is not the most important part.

I never thought Mayo would beat Dublin, because they never do, so I thought this was not a game they were targeting.
    And Dublin losing to Kerry made any chance of winning this game even harder.

Sure the performance sucked, the shooting was awful, the defending was awful, but I'm not writing them off v Galway just because of that, just like I was not putting them in the final after two games.

The biggest concern I have is that they are running out of steam.

The win v Roscommon was hard to judge because of the weather, but then they went to Tyrone and won at a canter, but the win v Cavan was good if not spectacular, the performance v Dublin was terrible

I'd much prefer to see a team getting better as the league progresses rather than get out of the blocks fast and then taper off.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

From as close as I can manage to neutral perspective,I thought Mayo were terribly disappointing last night. I know the Championship matters a lot more but last night was a great opportunity for Mayo to take Dublin out of contention for the league and set themselves up knowing that a home win against Galway would leave them in a league final with two games to spare (practically anyway, it'd take a freakish set of results altogether to not make the final in that situation).

Ye could still make a league final and win it but ye sure love making things hard for yourselves.

Posters such as yourself we're talking about league finals after Mayo beat Tyrone a few weeks ago and now they won't beat a weakened Galway next weekend.

Get perspective.

Fair point

But I'll be honest I wasn't expecting anything as turgid as last night. Given the layoff we had, I thought we would be much more championship-like in this year's edition.

The main worry was we were slow and ponderous in our build up, had no outlet up front and spent too much time carrying and lateral pointless hand-passing than just letting the feckin thing in and giving the Dublin FB line something to think about

Galway may not be world beaters but if there's one thing Kevin Walsh has made them it's fierce organised in defence (regardless of personnel) and even minus Comer and Burke they still have the talent up front to cause damage on the counter. In short it looks like we're in line for a carbon copy of last year's league game at this rate where Galway were very comfortable at the back and we didn't have near enough nous to break them down

It's frustrating. We had a damn good opportunity to give Dublin a good rattle last night. I don't care if its league or not watching them jogging through us and the fans cheering every single pass in the last few minutes is galling stuff

There really is zero excuse for some of the misses we had

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭threeball

Fair point

But I'll be honest I wasn't expecting anything as turgid as last night. Given the layoff we had, I thought we would be much more championship-like in this year's edition.

The main worry was we were slow and ponderous in our build up, had no outlet up front and spent too much time carrying and lateral pointless hand-passing than just letting the feckin thing in and giving the Dublin FB line something to think about

Galway may not be world beaters but if there's one thing Kevin Walsh has made them it's fierce organised in defence (regardless of personnel) and even minus Comer and Burke they still have the talent up front to cause damage on the counter. In short it looks like we're in line for a carbon copy of last year's league game at this rate where Galway were very comfortable at the back and we didn't have near enough nous to break them down

It's frustrating. We had a damn good opportunity to give Dublin a good rattle last night. I don't care if its league or not watching them jogging through us and the fans cheering every single pass in the last few minutes is galling stuff

There really is zero excuse for some of the misses we had

If Galway play the way they have up to now you'll have nothing to worry about. Milk would turn quicker than we turn defence into attack. Your ff line could walk back to your 45 and still be there in time to get ahead of the ball.

threeball wrote: »
    If Galway play the way they have up to now you'll have nothing to worry about. Milk would turn quicker than we turn defence into attack. Your ff line could walk back to your 45 and still be there in time to get ahead of the ball.

I suppose we'll learn a bit more today

Wasn't a bad result to be fair against Monaghan.

threeball wrote: »

If durkan and Diarmuid are out mayo are in a similar situation to last year.
    Without them 2 and parsons Galway will be able to sit back without much fear of their line being broken
    Mayo will need huge games from Keegan and Vaughan. And mcdonagh who looks like he might be up to it.
    Reape if he starts will need to improve a LOT

It will be a horrible niggly low scoring tight game .
    I can’t wait till it’s over !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭threeball

I suppose we'll learn a bit more today

Wasn't a bad result to be fair against Monaghan.

Monaghan are in the sh1t to be honest. Odds on to be relegated. They have only the Cavan game left where they would expect to win. The rest they are unlikely to win or 50/50 At best. The Tyrone result yesterday was huge for them.

If Galway go at kerry today or Mayo next week they can probably rest easy at the end of the day knowing they won't be getting sucked into a relegation battle. But we both know that won't happen. Probably end up fighting for survival needing a win on the final day to stay ahead of monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭glack

Loads of folks on facebook and twitter moaning about the ref.... lads get off your soapboxes! There was some dodgy decisions but some valid ones too.

We were ****e last night. Plain and simple. We weren't robbed or hard done by, just useless!

I'm not reading too much into it. It's only February. Hopefully next week we'll be competitive.

• Advertisement

4 wins in 4 for Kerry after a narrow low scoring win over Galway ......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement