Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congrats to Becky Lynch and Finn Balor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

People are congratulating her on getting to the top of her business.

She is being hailed by the OP as "a new Irish sporting hero."

For "winning" something in a fake sport where outcomes are scripted as part of an ongoing soap opera.

There are many worthy Irish sports stars, but these two WWE actors don't deserve to be praised alongside the likes of Rory McIlroy and Brian O'Driscoll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

People are congratulating her on getting to the top of her business.

For "winning" something in a fake sport where outcomes are scripted as part of an ongoing soap opera.

There are many worthy Irish sports stars, but these two WWE actors don't deserve to be praised alongside the likes of Rory McIlroy and Brian O'Driscoll.

You don't understand pro wrestling. You call them actors. That shows your hilarious ignorance to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hero

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Haha, people enjoying stuff that I don't like. **** them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

It was good fun. I haven't seen dives like that since the last soccer match I watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

Your Face wrote: »
    It was good fun. I haven't seen dives like that since the last soccer match I watched.

Did your mam let you stay up late to watch it or did you record it and watch it when you got in from school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

You don't understand pro wrestling. You call them actors. That shows your hilarious ignorance to it.

Fair enough. They're not actors, because that would be a tad insulting to actual actors. More like glorified stuntmen.

Fair enough. They're not actors, because that would be a tad insulting to actual actors. More like glorified stuntmen.

There it is.

Ignorance at its most transparent.

Now your getting it! Don't think you realize the hardship they go through.

They still get hurt badly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

She's hot though, well worth a Google

Brenda Fricker?
    upinsmoke wrote: »
    Watch till four minutes, this is why its entertaining.

Impressive that he was able to continue on with internal bleeding. I'm no doctor but I would have thought that a trip to A&E would have been more pressing.
    Necro wrote: »
    WWE is massive in America with turnovers some legit sports can only dream of.

People here don't get how big it is for sure. These guys pack out arenas four or five times a week. It's not my thing, didn't watch it as a child either but you have to hand it to them. The queues and buzz around the city when they visited MSG and the rockets arena in Houston when I lived in those places was insane. Adults over there follow it avidly. Lads would happily fork out a few thousand dollars for a ticket to that last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭omega man

Great to see a young Irish woman doing so well. An example of going out and taking life by the scruff of the neck and should be an inspiration to young girls and boys.
    The jeering and outright begrudgery from fellow Irish people is astounding.

omega man wrote: »

I can never understand this about Irish people. Was away for the weekend, flying Ryanair. Two men behind us were laying into MOL. The same lads were saying that they paid €60 return for the flights, to Denmark.

omega man wrote: »
    Great to see a young Irish woman doing so well. An example of going out and taking life by the scruff of the neck and should be an inspiration to young girls and boys.

Boards is just of full snobs and high horses really who give out about anything they possibly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭omega man

upinsmoke wrote: »
    Boards is just of full snobs and high horses really who give out about anything they possibly can.

Not just boards though. Most of the comments on other platforms were negative. Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yes pro wrestling is pre-determined but for not just an Irish person but a 9 stone Irish woman to reach the absolute pinnacle of the business is some achievement.

Last 35 years its been a male dominated profession with women treated as 3rd class citizens where only huge muscled guys like Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Steve Austin, Brock Lesnar, Dwayne Johnson and John Cena were allowed succeed.

Its was only Lynch's explosion in popularity with the fans over past 9 months that has forced WWEs hand to change their plans and build one of the biggest annual events on the planet around her.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,234 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wrestlemania is like Superbowl

The fact is Becky has risen to the top and is so over which is some achievement

I really hope she and they are getting taken care of, financially. Does anyone know if these guys are well paid or are they getting screwed like the old boys were?

Berserker wrote: »
    I really hope she and they are getting taken care of, financially. Does anyone know if these guys are well paid or are they getting screwed like the old boys were?
    It's a different place now, to before. She would be on decent pay. Headlining wrestle mania and merchandise sales will skyrocket her earnings ten fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I have never and likely will never watch WWE - can't see the appeal - but those folks are in serious physical shape. It involves gruelling work and most don't get there, so good on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Any mention of it on RTE news?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I have never and likely will never watch WWE - can't see the appeal - but those folks are in serious physical shape. It involves gruelling work and most don't get there, so good on them.

See, why can't everyone who doesn't watch be like you? A perfect comment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

They also work schedules that most people would be terrified of.

The full timers wrestle about 5 times a week, with no off season save for a few days around Christmas.

Spend long times on the road, travelling from city to city for the next show away from their families for long periods.

It's a tough life, and unless you're one of the top talent the remuneration isn't exactly what you'd call fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Necro wrote: »
    They also work schedules that most people would be terrified of.

The full timers wrestle about 5 times a week, with no off season save for a few days around Christmas.

Spend long times on the road, travelling from city to city for the next show away from their families for long periods.

It's a tough life, and unless you're one of the top talent the remuneration isn't exactly what you'd call fantastic.

The majority of them are on the road 300+ days a year, I wouldn't do it that's for sure.

I don’t think normal people care too much about wrestling itself but when you have grown men trying to convince you it’s a sport it gets a bit much.

Also the fact grown men still watching it is pretty sad too. We had a few guys, two from IT and the creepy guy from admin, take today off so they could watch it together last night. One of the managers couldn’t keep a straight face when he was telling us about it on a coffee break.
    Sono wrote: »
    It’s quite hilarious that there are adults on boards who watch WWE, if that wasn’t bad enough but discussing it on here weekly!

Congrats to the Irish actors though!

Don't watch it myself, but the likes of you two are sadder than any man who watches something scripted for entertainment.

The people who get offended that grown-ups enjoy wrestling, and the people who get offended at Irish fans supporting English football teams - They are two cheeks of the same bitter, miserable hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Yes pro wrestling is pre-determined but for not just an Irish person but a 9 stone Irish woman to reach the absolute pinnacle of the business is some achievement.

Last 35 years its been a male dominated profession with women treated as 3rd class citizens where only huge muscled guys like Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Steve Austin, Brock Lesnar, Dwayne Johnson and John Cena were allowed succeed.

Its was only Lynch's explosion in popularity with the fans over past 9 months that has forced WWEs hand to change their plans and build one of the biggest annual events on the planet around her.

Well that's not true. They wanted Rousey in the Main Event and have it as a Women's match to get some mainstream publicity to appear progressive. They built it around Rousey and Becky got popular.

But well done to both for doing exactly as they were told.

It's in the entertainment section of the RTE site. Just checked. Heard her speak and she'd be a nice guest to have on the LLS but she may not be a fit for RTE.
    The majority of them are on the road 300+ days a year, I wouldn't do it that's for sure.

Watched a documentary about it in the US. It must be an incredibly hard life. They have to fit the training schedule of a pro-athlete into their schedule also. A 5K run and I'm very fit for my age, is a battle and a half for me on a Friday evening. I'm fit for bed after a week away for work more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,234 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't think so which is a shame

Also nothing on VM1 news

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I don't think so which is a shame

Also nothing on VM1 news

It's in the entertainment section of the RTE site.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0408/1041285-irish-wrestler-becky-lynch-crowned-double-wwe-champion/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Usually if an Irish person wins a raffle in another country it's on the news.

Advertisement