Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congrats to Becky Lynch and Finn Balor

Options
  • 08-04-2019 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

In front of a crowd of 83000 at WWE's flagship event Wrestlemania Becky Lynch aka Rebecca Quinn became the first Womens universal champion beating both Ronda Rousey and Charlotte Flair for the WWE Smackdown and WWE Raw titles in the main event. A new Irish sporting hero and well done to her.

Also Finn Balor aka Fergal Devit defeated Bobby Lashley for the Intercontinental championship. Well done Finn.

A great night for the Irish at Wrestlemania 35.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

LoL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

upinsmoke wrote: »
    In front of a crowd of 83000 at WWE's flagship event Wrestlemania Becky Lynch aka Rebecca Quinn became the first Womens universal champion beating both Ronda Rousey and Charlotte Flair for the WWE Smackdown and WWE Raw titles in the main event. A new Irish sporting hero and well done to her.

Also Finn Balor aka Fergal Devit defeated Bobby Lashley for the Intercontinental championship. Well done Finn.

A great night for the Irish at Wrestlemania 35.

What's the story with wrestling? I mean we all know it's acting/fake so how do they actually determine a winners as presumably the winner is determined well in advance....

Any way thanks for that update, but now it's over to Diarmud with the weather......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

whowut.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

The credibility of WWE is up in smoke.

When did it have credibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

What's the story with wrestling? I mean we all know it's acting/fake so how do they actually determine a winners as presumably the winner is determined well in advance....

Any way thanks for that update, but now it's over to Diarmud with the weather......

Same as in a stage play like Hamlet or any other medium, the winner is determined to get a certain reaction from the people watching it

It's comic book esque at times as well, in that the bad guy will often get the upper hand before the good guy saves the day in the end, which is a very basic look at both Becky and Finn's situation last night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

upinsmoke wrote: »
    Also Finn Balor aka Fergal Devit

Understandable name change.

A man called Fergal Devit would hardly make it big in Ballaghaderreen, not to mind the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,942 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

WWE (or WWF as it was back then) were doing "scripted reality" way before all the sh*t like only way is Essex, made in Chelsea etc etc.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

giphy.gif
    RossieMan wrote: »
    When did it have credibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

After watching this video my opinion of it has changed dramatically. It's unbelievable how much of an asshole Vince McMahon is!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wrestlers are good at what they do and all, and I understand that it's entertaining to some. And I also appreciate that the two wrestlers mentioned are Irish and it's nice to see them do well.......

But congratulating them on "winning" is akin to congratulating Sly Stallone on beating Carl Weathers in Rocky II

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I don't get the hate wrestling gets for being fake. You don't see actors getting stick for fake fight scenes in movies?

Don't watch it myself but great to see Ireland being at the top of any particular field.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

MrStuffins wrote: »
    But congratulating them on "winning" is akin to congratulating Sly Stallone on beating Carl Weathers in Rocky II

It's not really a fair comparison at all

Rocky is obviously an entirely fictional character played by Stallone who was imagined by Stallone and brought to life by Stallone too

For Finn and Becky, they only get to win when they're basically at the top of their game in the world, a more fair comparison would actually be an actor getting an Oscar, they only got it because of their fictional scripted work, but they're in that position because they're among the best in the world at what they do

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Becky Lynch is technically a better actress than Brenda Fricker but she will always have Home Alone 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

She's hot though, well worth a Google

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Haven't watched it as a kid and each to their own, but they're high performing athletes that put on amazing shows all the same.

Yes, we all know it's fake. Yes, it's still nice that the scriptwriters decided an Irishwoman would take, and deserved, the title of something with such a huge global following.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

Watch till four minutes, this is why its entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’d prefer my kids to be watching that harmless auld rubbish than that UFC barbarity.

It's not really a fair comparison at all

Rocky is obviously an entirely fictional character played by Stallone who was imagined by Stallone and brought to life by Stallone too

For Finn and Becky, they only get to win when they're basically at the top of their game in the world, a more fair comparison would actually be an actor getting an Oscar, they only got it because of their fictional scripted work, but they're in that position because they're among the best in the world at what they do

Rocky won 3 Oscars, including Best Picture.

Checkmate!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

They won nothing. It’s scripted like a soap opera. Do you send congrats to the cast of Fair City for not screwing up their lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Advertisement

I’d prefer my kids to be watching that harmless auld rubbish than that UFC barbarity.

You're 100% right. One is for children and the other is not. Congrats Super Dad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Spoilers you absolute ****wit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I don't get the hate wrestling gets for being fake. You don't see actors getting stick for fake fight scenes in movies?

Don't watch it myself but great to see Ireland being at the top of any particular field.

I don’t think normal people care too much about wrestling itself but when you have grown men trying to convince you it’s a sport it gets a bit much.

Also the fact grown men still watching it is pretty sad too. We had a few guys, two from IT and the creepy guy from admin, take today off so they could watch it together last night. One of the managers couldn’t keep a straight face when he was telling us about it on a coffee break.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

But they won because someone decided they would win, they won nothing on merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Snotty wrote: »
    But they won because someone decided they would win, they won nothing on merit.

They were chosen by their bosses to win, they won it on merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

You'll never beat the Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I don’t think normal people care too much about wrestling itself but when you have grown men trying to convince you it’s a sport it gets a bit much.

Also the fact grown men still watching it is pretty sad too. We had a few guys, two from IT and the creepy guy from admin, take today off so they could watch it together last night. One of the managers couldn’t keep a straight face when he was telling us about it on a coffee break.

Not different from watching Game of Thrones or any other TV show

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They were chosen by their bosses to win, they won it on merit.

And we all know work promotions are always on merit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You'll never beat the Irish

Unless VInce McMahon decides you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Fair play to them I guess.

Advertisement