Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congrats to Becky Lynch and Finn Balor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Snotty wrote: »
    But they won because someone decided they would win, they won nothing on merit.

The merit is being the one chosen to win

It wasn't any of the 30 other women on the roster who won the title match, it was Becky

Same for Finn, he was chosen out of dozens of others

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I don’t think normal people care too much about wrestling itself but when you have grown men trying to convince you it’s a sport it gets a bit much.

Also the fact grown men still watching it is pretty sad too. We had a few guys, two from IT and the creepy guy from admin, take today off so they could watch it together last night. One of the managers couldn’t keep a straight face when he was telling us about it on a coffee break.

So bloody what if they took time off for something they enjoy? Did it hurt anyone that they watched the wrestling together?

I haven't watched it in years but to be sniggering like a pack of jackals behind their backs just because they watched WrestleMania together is a horrible thing to do in the workplace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

people slagging off WWE just don't get it.

sure it's all show but the fitness and dedication involved for these folk and they are the elite considering how many wrestlers train and don't make it to the top.

and she is decent too ….so STFU

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

paw patrol wrote: »
    people slagging off WWE just don't get it.

sure it's all show but the fitness and dedication involved for these folk and they are the elite considering how many wrestlers train and don't make it to the top.

To be fair , the amount of them that dont seem to last long enough to get a bus pass would suggest they might have a bit of help being so fit and dedicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

They were chosen by their bosses to win, they won it on merit.

There isn't a load of real fights and then this was fake, they are all fake, they have never won anything on merit, they won it because they are told to. If its on merit, what did they do exactly to achieve this? Best listener to the boss??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

It wouldn't be for me personally and despite the fact that the bouts are clearly rigged, wrestling is probably a good bit better for someone to watch than the likes of those Marvel films or for the same person to spend all night playing a video game. Real people doing real stunts, it might even encourage a few of the viewers to pound a few pavements for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I don’t think normal people care too much about wrestling itself but when you have grown men trying to convince you it’s a sport it gets a bit much.

Also the fact grown men still watching it is pretty sad too. We had a few guys, two from IT and the creepy guy from admin, take today off so they could watch it together last night. One of the managers couldn’t keep a straight face when he was telling us about it on a coffee break.

People have different interests. So what? The manager should cop on.

That's backstabbing and breeds a toxic work environment and culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

It wasn't any of the 30 other women on the roster who won the title match, it was Becky

And one of the others will get her turn next month.

You're reading far too much into this.

WWE is not a real sport. If it was, Rousey, who won an Olympic medal in judo and is a former UFC women's champion, would handily beat Lynch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I remember the days when women's wrestling matches at big events were lingerie matches or mud baths...that ain't so long ago either Lol

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm sure people will always find reasons to rag on wrestling, and that's fine, it's not their jam.

WWE is massive in America with turnovers some legit sports can only dream of.

Becky Lynch is actually only the second European to ever main event a Wrestlemania which is a huge achievement in itself. Comparably shes also the first to win their match.

On top of that after 35 years the women main evented Wrestlemania for the first time in the company's history, an astonishing feat if you consider that up to probably 4 years ago women were viewed as an afterthought or the sexy wet dream fantasies for the audience, and barely legitimate.

It might be scripted, but considering that she was selected for that win ahead of everyone else, including her opponents:

Ronda Rousey - a legit box office star in terms of combat sports. May have lost her last few fights but drew more money for the UFC than 90% of the men, ever.

Charlotte Flair - Fantastically athletically gifted, and the daughter of Ric Flair, a living legend in the business with championship pedigree.

It's a phenomenal achievement any way you split it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

WWE is not a real sport. If it was, Rousey, who won an Olympic medal in judo and is a former UFC women's champion, would handily beat Lynch.

Not one person said it's a real sport, everyone has said the opposite actually, they are performers. Why do we congratulate actors or singers winning awards?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

I don't like wrestling myself, but I can appreciate that they put in massive amounts of work, and whether or not it's scripted, it's still hugely physical.

Also, when it comes to people watching it and enjoying it: don't yuck someone else's yum. If you don't like it, fine, leave it to the people who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Snotty wrote: »
    There isn't a load of real fights and then this was fake, they are all fake, they have never won anything on merit, they won it because they are told to. If its on merit, what did they do exactly to achieve this? Best listener to the boss??

See, the fact you even have to ask this shows you don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

You're right, it's not a real sport

It's sports entertainment

What pro wrestling is today got its original start as a circus act, and today it's much closer to a circus act today than a sport

Who's here calling it a real sport? It's not real fighting, it's another form of theater

You're getting hung up on why Becky was picked to win, same as in any medium where you know little to nothing about it there is a rhyme and reason to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

You have absolutely no idea what your talking about. Becky lynch is getting audience reactions bigger than her male counterparts.

Everyone knows wrestling is scripted. It still is a competition though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Snotty wrote:

Mainly through the fans actually, if you can 'get over' with the crowd you generally have a huge chance of making it as a top tier talent.

Of course the bosses also have their favourites, which is natural given it's their company.

Selling tonnes of merchandise helps too.

Might be fake fighting but the athleticism in it is on a par with other legit sports.

You take the best of gymnastics, combat sports, and mash them all together with a bit of soap opera drama and you get what is known as sports entertainment.

It's fine not to like it. But people that do are generally as normal as those who choose to watch Game of Thrones, or Coronation Street, or other fictional shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Sono

It’s quite hilarious that there are adults on boards who watch WWE, if that wasn’t bad enough but discussing it on here weekly!

Congrats to the Irish actors though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

To be fair , the amount of them that dont seem to last long enough to get a bus pass would suggest they might have a bit of help being so fit and dedicated.

I can accept that. There is something afoot with what happens them.
    After reading Bret Harts book (which is one of the best biographys I've read btw - a lot of it is insane) the steroids and pain killers coupled with a party-lifestyle seems (IMO) to blame.

The newer stars seem more health conscious than those in the 1980s/1990s...Fellas like John Cena and HHH seem to look after themselves better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

Sono wrote: »
    It’s quite hilarious that there are adults on boards who watch WWE, if that wasn’t bad enough but discussing it on here weekly!

No different to an adult watching Game of Thrones. Please explain the difference.

upinsmoke wrote: »
    No different to an adult watching Game of Thrones. Please explain the difference.

One the target audience is kids and the other is for adults.

I watched WWF(E) growing up but I couldn’t watch it now, each to their own I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

The difference is that people don't come on here congratulating The Mountain for his immense achievement in beating Oberyn Martell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭kerplun k

It’s equally hilarious that a grown ass adult supports Aston Villa and spends their free time on boards talking sh1te about a second rate championship club.

Not a fan of wrestling either, but it’s very easy to ****e all over someone else’s interests.

The difference is that people don't come on here congratulating The Mountain for his immense achievement in beating Oberyn Martell.

They get awards for their performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

People are congratulating her on getting to the top of her business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

One the target audience is kids and the other is for adults.

I watched WWF(E) growing up but I couldn’t watch it now, each to their own I guess.

Its target audience is not just kids, its all ages.

Its target audience is not just kids, its all ages.

Didn't you know it was 80k kids there last night? No adults at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

What's the story with wrestling? I mean we all know it's acting/fake so how do they actually determine a winners as presumably the winner is determined well in advance....

Any way thanks for that update, but now it's over to Diarmud with the weather......

Vince McMahon decides. He still has massive input on storylines and winners. And while it is all fake, it still takes a hell of a lot of athleticisim to be at the top.

That's funny I could have sworn I saw a Game of Thrones forum on Boards that is also quite active....

kerplun k wrote: »
    It’s equally hilarious that a grown ass adult supports Aston Villa and spends their free time on boards talking sh1te about a second rate championship club.

Not a fan of wrestling either, but it’s very easy to ****e all over someone else’s interests.

That’s funny you went into my profile to see what I post about, it’s quite enjoyable following them at the moment for the first time in a while, might even get promoted, seems I hit a nerve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭kerplun k

That’s funny you went into my profile to see what I post about, it’s quite enjoyable following them at the moment for the first time in a while, might even get promoted, seems I hit a nerve!

I did. Couldn’t resist having a quick looksy. :D

Advertisement