Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Congrats to Becky Lynch and Finn Balor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

upinsmoke wrote: »
    No different to an adult watching Game of Thrones. Please explain the difference.

The difference is that people don't come on here congratulating The Mountain for his immense achievement in beating Oberyn Martell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Sono wrote: »
    It’s quite hilarious that there are adults on boards who watch WWE, if that wasn’t bad enough but discussing it on here weekly!

Congrats to the Irish actors though!

It’s equally hilarious that a grown ass adult supports Aston Villa and spends their free time on boards talking sh1te about a second rate championship club.

Not a fan of wrestling either, but it’s very easy to ****e all over someone else’s interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The difference is that people don't come on here congratulating The Mountain for his immense achievement in beating Oberyn Martell.

They get awards for their performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

No different to an adult watching Game of Thrones. Please explain the difference.

People are congratulating her on getting to the top of her business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

One the target audience is kids and the other is for adults.

I watched WWF(E) growing up but I couldn’t watch it now, each to their own I guess.

Its target audience is not just kids, its all ages.

Its target audience is not just kids, its all ages.

Didn't you know it was 80k kids there last night? No adults at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

What's the story with wrestling? I mean we all know it's acting/fake so how do they actually determine a winners as presumably the winner is determined well in advance....

Any way thanks for that update, but now it's over to Diarmud with the weather......

Vince McMahon decides. He still has massive input on storylines and winners. And while it is all fake, it still takes a hell of a lot of athleticisim to be at the top.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That's funny I could have sworn I saw a Game of Thrones forum on Boards that is also quite active....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Sono

kerplun k wrote: »
    It’s equally hilarious that a grown ass adult supports Aston Villa and spends their free time on boards talking sh1te about a second rate championship club.

Not a fan of wrestling either, but it’s very easy to ****e all over someone else’s interests.

That’s funny you went into my profile to see what I post about, it’s quite enjoyable following them at the moment for the first time in a while, might even get promoted, seems I hit a nerve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

That’s funny you went into my profile to see what I post about, it’s quite enjoyable following them at the moment for the first time in a while, might even get promoted, seems I hit a nerve!

I did. Couldn’t resist having a quick looksy. :D

She is being hailed by the OP as "a new Irish sporting hero."

For "winning" something in a fake sport where outcomes are scripted as part of an ongoing soap opera.

There are many worthy Irish sports stars, but these two WWE actors don't deserve to be praised alongside the likes of Rory McIlroy and Brian O'Driscoll.

For "winning" something in a fake sport where outcomes are scripted as part of an ongoing soap opera.

There are many worthy Irish sports stars, but these two WWE actors don't deserve to be praised alongside the likes of Rory McIlroy and Brian O'Driscoll.

You don't understand pro wrestling. You call them actors. That shows your hilarious ignorance to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,464 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hero

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Haha, people enjoying stuff that I don't like. **** them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

It was good fun. I haven't seen dives like that since the last soccer match I watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

Your Face wrote: »
    It was good fun. I haven't seen dives like that since the last soccer match I watched.

Did your mam let you stay up late to watch it or did you record it and watch it when you got in from school?

You don't understand pro wrestling. You call them actors. That shows your hilarious ignorance to it.

Fair enough. They're not actors, because that would be a tad insulting to actual actors. More like glorified stuntmen.

Fair enough. They're not actors, because that would be a tad insulting to actual actors. More like glorified stuntmen.

There it is.

Ignorance at its most transparent.

Now your getting it! Don't think you realize the hardship they go through.

They still get hurt badly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

She's hot though, well worth a Google

Brenda Fricker?
    Watch till four minutes, this is why its entertaining.

Impressive that he was able to continue on with internal bleeding. I'm no doctor but I would have thought that a trip to A&E would have been more pressing.
    Necro wrote: »
    WWE is massive in America with turnovers some legit sports can only dream of.

People here don't get how big it is for sure. These guys pack out arenas four or five times a week. It's not my thing, didn't watch it as a child either but you have to hand it to them. The queues and buzz around the city when they visited MSG and the rockets arena in Houston when I lived in those places was insane. Adults over there follow it avidly. Lads would happily fork out a few thousand dollars for a ticket to that last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Great to see a young Irish woman doing so well. An example of going out and taking life by the scruff of the neck and should be an inspiration to young girls and boys.
    The jeering and outright begrudgery from fellow Irish people is astounding.

omega man wrote: »

I can never understand this about Irish people. Was away for the weekend, flying Ryanair. Two men behind us were laying into MOL. The same lads were saying that they paid €60 return for the flights, to Denmark.

omega man wrote: »
    Great to see a young Irish woman doing so well. An example of going out and taking life by the scruff of the neck and should be an inspiration to young girls and boys.

Boards is just of full snobs and high horses really who give out about anything they possibly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Boards is just of full snobs and high horses really who give out about anything they possibly can.

Not just boards though. Most of the comments on other platforms were negative. Sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yes pro wrestling is pre-determined but for not just an Irish person but a 9 stone Irish woman to reach the absolute pinnacle of the business is some achievement.

Last 35 years its been a male dominated profession with women treated as 3rd class citizens where only huge muscled guys like Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Steve Austin, Brock Lesnar, Dwayne Johnson and John Cena were allowed succeed.

Its was only Lynch's explosion in popularity with the fans over past 9 months that has forced WWEs hand to change their plans and build one of the biggest annual events on the planet around her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,543 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wrestlemania is like Superbowl

The fact is Becky has risen to the top and is so over which is some achievement

I really hope she and they are getting taken care of, financially. Does anyone know if these guys are well paid or are they getting screwed like the old boys were?

Berserker wrote: »
    I really hope she and they are getting taken care of, financially. Does anyone know if these guys are well paid or are they getting screwed like the old boys were?
    It's a different place now, to before. She would be on decent pay. Headlining wrestle mania and merchandise sales will skyrocket her earnings ten fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I have never and likely will never watch WWE - can't see the appeal - but those folks are in serious physical shape. It involves gruelling work and most don't get there, so good on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Any mention of it on RTE news?

I have never and likely will never watch WWE - can't see the appeal - but those folks are in serious physical shape. It involves gruelling work and most don't get there, so good on them.

See, why can't everyone who doesn't watch be like you? A perfect comment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

They also work schedules that most people would be terrified of.

The full timers wrestle about 5 times a week, with no off season save for a few days around Christmas.

Spend long times on the road, travelling from city to city for the next show away from their families for long periods.

It's a tough life, and unless you're one of the top talent the remuneration isn't exactly what you'd call fantastic.

They also work schedules that most people would be terrified of.

The full timers wrestle about 5 times a week, with no off season save for a few days around Christmas.

Spend long times on the road, travelling from city to city for the next show away from their families for long periods.

It's a tough life, and unless you're one of the top talent the remuneration isn't exactly what you'd call fantastic.

The majority of them are on the road 300+ days a year, I wouldn't do it that's for sure.

I don’t think normal people care too much about wrestling itself but when you have grown men trying to convince you it’s a sport it gets a bit much.

Also the fact grown men still watching it is pretty sad too. We had a few guys, two from IT and the creepy guy from admin, take today off so they could watch it together last night. One of the managers couldn’t keep a straight face when he was telling us about it on a coffee break.
    It’s quite hilarious that there are adults on boards who watch WWE, if that wasn’t bad enough but discussing it on here weekly!

Congrats to the Irish actors though!

Don't watch it myself, but the likes of you two are sadder than any man who watches something scripted for entertainment.

The people who get offended that grown-ups enjoy wrestling, and the people who get offended at Irish fans supporting English football teams - They are two cheeks of the same bitter, miserable hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Yes pro wrestling is pre-determined but for not just an Irish person but a 9 stone Irish woman to reach the absolute pinnacle of the business is some achievement.

Last 35 years its been a male dominated profession with women treated as 3rd class citizens where only huge muscled guys like Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Steve Austin, Brock Lesnar, Dwayne Johnson and John Cena were allowed succeed.

Its was only Lynch's explosion in popularity with the fans over past 9 months that has forced WWEs hand to change their plans and build one of the biggest annual events on the planet around her.

Well that's not true. They wanted Rousey in the Main Event and have it as a Women's match to get some mainstream publicity to appear progressive. They built it around Rousey and Becky got popular.

But well done to both for doing exactly as they were told.

It's in the entertainment section of the RTE site. Just checked. Heard her speak and she'd be a nice guest to have on the LLS but she may not be a fit for RTE.
    The majority of them are on the road 300+ days a year, I wouldn't do it that's for sure.

Watched a documentary about it in the US. It must be an incredibly hard life. They have to fit the training schedule of a pro-athlete into their schedule also. A 5K run and I'm very fit for my age, is a battle and a half for me on a Friday evening. I'm fit for bed after a week away for work more often than not.

I don't think so which is a shame

Also nothing on VM1 news

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I don't think so which is a shame

Also nothing on VM1 news

It's in the entertainment section of the RTE site.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0408/1041285-irish-wrestler-becky-lynch-crowned-double-wwe-champion/

• Advertisement

Usually if an Irish person wins a raffle in another country it's on the news.

Hat's off to them. Incredible achievement when you think about it.

The dedication required is nothing short of amazing. There's really no money in it unless you get into WWE, so to be able to not just keep at it, but really believe in yourself that you'll get in the door of WWE, and then become a success within that company.. it's incredible.

There's probably about what? 100 wrestlers on the roster. And millions of people around the world trying to make a living at it. That alone should tell you just how hard it is to get anywhere within the wrestling world. Must be among the most difficult career paths in the world, with no guarantee of anything out of it, no matter how long you keep at it.

Those who insult it, really show up how little they know or appreciate about the world around them - Trust me, either of the two folks mentioned in the thread title are much more successful than any sad git calling it fake that sits down the pub thinking watching millionaire's kick a football and getting drunk is something worth aspiring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I'm sure people will always find reasons to rag on wrestling, and that's fine, it's not their jam.

WWE is massive in America with turnovers some legit sports can only dream of.

Becky Lynch is actually only the second European to ever main event a Wrestlemania which is a huge achievement in itself. Comparably shes also the first to win their match.

On top of that after 35 years the women main evented Wrestlemania for the first time in the company's history, an astonishing feat if you consider that up to probably 4 years ago women were viewed as an afterthought or the sexy wet dream fantasies for the audience, and barely legitimate.

It might be scripted, but considering that she was selected for that win ahead of everyone else, including her opponents:

Ronda Rousey - a legit box office star in terms of combat sports. May have lost her last few fights but drew more money for the UFC than 90% of the men, ever.

Charlotte Flair - Fantastically athletically gifted, and the daughter of Ric Flair, a living legend in the business with championship pedigree.

It's a phenomenal achievement any way you split it.

Used to love it when i was a kid, love watching my daughter enjoy it now due to the female wrestlers being so prominent, I actually think it has played a big part in her confidence over the last 18 months or so as she is very confident.

I like it for the spectacle it is nothing more nothing less and sher if it helps kids escape how bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Yeah I love that there are bad-ass bitches involved in wrestling - good to see tough women instead of the perpetually offended and victimised.

Berserker wrote: »

I am surprised Ryan has not had her on The Late Late Show, I believe he had Sheamus on

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Hat's off to them. Incredible achievement when you think about it.

The dedication required is nothing short of amazing. There's really no money in it unless you get into WWE, so to be able to not just keep at it, but really believe in yourself that you'll get in the door of WWE, and then become a success within that company.. it's incredible.

There's probably about what? 100 wrestlers on the roster. And millions of people around the world trying to make a living at it. That alone should tell you just how hard it is to get anywhere within the wrestling world. Must be among the most difficult career paths in the world, with no guarantee of anything out of it, no matter how long you keep at it.

Those who insult it, really show up how little they know or appreciate about the world around them - Trust me, either of the two folks mentioned in the thread title are much more successful than any sad git calling it fake that sits down the pub thinking watching millionaire's kick a football and getting drunk is something worth aspiring to.

Is that what everyone that thinks its fake does?
    The OP called "A new Irish sporting hero", people are entitled to opine that they think that may not be the case.

Not a fan of it myself. Used to love WWF and Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker, Jake the Snake etc when I was a kid, but once I copped it wasn't real, I didn't really see the point of it and completely lost interest. But each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

After watching this video my opinion of it has changed dramatically. It's unbelievable how much of an asshole Vince McMahon is!

After watching John Oliver's piece about the WWE last week I can't believe that wrestling fans would so willingly hand over almost a billion dollars a year to an organisation that basically craps all over its employees. Except that they're not actually employees, they're all individual contractors who can be dropped in a heartbeat if they're injured for a few weeks. And that's before you start examining the premature death statistics.

Personally I think wrestling is a load of horsesh*te and I really can't see how it appeals to anyone over the age of 12. However I can appreciate that the wrestlers themselves are proper athletes who put their bodies through phenomenal punishment, and as such deserve to be treated a whole lot better by the WWE than they are now, which is essentially as a commodity to be used up and discarded when they're spent.

If wrestling fans really care about the people they pay a lot of money to see, then they need to use that power to hit the WWE where it really hurts, in the balance sheet. And if they're successful at least the people who are responsible for making Vince McMahon and co. so rich can at least be treated with a bit of dignity outside the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That's funny I could have sworn I saw a Game of Thrones forum on Boards that is also quite active....

Theres also a wrestling forum.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Did your mam let you stay up late to watch it or did you record it and watch it when you got in from school?
    Yer mam said she would record it for me, amongst the other things she likes to do for me.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I am surprised Ryan has not had her on The Late Late Show, I believe he had Sheamus on

He had Marty Morrissey and someone with a blog on last week. It's not something to aspire to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

If someone wins a fight on Game of Thrones, do you start a thread to congratulate them on the 'achievement'?

• Advertisement
Advertisement