Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Country Music

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

I actually thought this was a piss take when I first saw it.

Holy crap, that is surreal and oddly unsettling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Awful dance danced to equally awful music. Looks like the stirring of a big pot of soup.

The real jive was danced to swing jazz, not country n Irish muck.

Wouldn’t agree but c’est la vie. It’s great craic either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Why do some of them try to sing in American accents ?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Discodog wrote: »

That's because traditionally in Ireland, anything even remotely associated with America was good. England, although closer to us geographically, and likely the homeland of our extended family - wasn't!

We were here in our cottages with our boiled spuds and bacon, staring at our black and white TV'S oogling the big cars, huge houses and the Dynasty lifestyle. America had it all, and that "all" was supersized.

And - we wanted that. We imitated that. We ate burgers on a Saturday with our bundys and yellowpack ketchup. We wore imitation varsity jackets. Mammy had shoulder pads which she lovingly sewed into her dresses a la Alexis Carrington.

We wistfully stared across the Atlantic and saw what we wanted to be. The lads in the local tec didn't drive cars with no roofs on them, like those "high school" lads dammit. We were the wannabe yanks. Like Stan wanted to be Eminem.

Maybe we still are ;)

Post of the year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Discodog wrote: »

Because American country music accents are derived from Northern Ireland accents.

Don't drink and jive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭donegal_man

It's not my thing but it is popular with large swathes of the population. I'd take issue with the idea that it's exclusively "culchies" as well. The head of our legal services is as D4 as you'd wish to meet and yet he's a massive fan of Irish country music as are plenty other urban sophisticates of my acquaintance who have never seen a combine harvester up close and personal. Many of these Irish artistes are also popular internationally and not just with ex-pats (no pun intended) especially in Australia which has its own thriving country scene.
    As for the American accents I'd hazard a guess it comes from starting out doing covers of American hits and becomes second nature when singing. In fairness as well not all do it, the man my uncle called "The King", you knew he was saying it with capitals, Big Tom never sounded like anything other than a Monaghan man. Daniel O'Donnell to be fair never affects an accent nor does my cousin's favourite, Declan Nerney.
    As I said at the outset, it's not for me and some of the cover versions are cringe inducing but it makes a lot of people happy and keeps a lot of session musicians gainfully employed.
    Oh and for anyone who thinks it's an exclusively Irish phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's awful stuff, just awful.

There are other musical genres that I'm not fond of, but at least I can see the artistic merit within. Irish country music is basically just a poor imitation of American country, which as someone pointed out earlier is a fairly diverse genre in and of itself.

I know it has its following but I cant take a genre that contains a lad from portuma who performs by the name Mike Denver seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Arghus wrote: »
    It's bizarre stuff, but I guess it sounds tuneful next to the death notices.

Out of interest what's your taste in music?

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

If you like riding your sister or first cousin it would be the thing I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Jimmy. wrote: »
    If you like riding your sister or first cousin it would be the thing I guess.

You're a big fan so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Out of interest what's your taste in music?
    I don't think that makes a difference tbh - it's just their opinion. I agree - I think country n' Irish is awful and I think it's weird the way kids are into it. Just my opinion.

I do like a lot of American country music from the Appalachians and South though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

What I like about Country is it is a genre which in no way takes itself seriously. “My truck broke down, so I’m hitting the town on a donkey”. “My wife said if I go fishing one more time, she’ll leave me. I’m gonna miss her...”
    Lurleen Lumpkin gotta be my fave country singer:

Don't Look Up My Dress Unless You Mean It; I'm Sick o' Your Lyin' Eyes And False Teeth; I'm Bastin' A Turkey With My Tears.

"Tonight I'd like to try somethin' a little different. It's a song I wrote when I was moppin' up your dried blood and teeth": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ErCXUyHVIY

Irish country music is a cultural blindspot of mine, trite in comparison to the likes of Jerry Jeff Walker or Mickey Newbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Not to be missed this week is the Country Music Awards on TG4.

https://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/the-irish-post-country-music-awards/

Country music has a good presence on TG4, and there is a sub genre which gets airtime on RnaG. A combination of country and sean nos, mostly based in Connemara. John Beag Ó Flatharta is the best known name in this music.

It reminds me of the days when you would be in a restaurant & the background music would be a dreadful cover version of a current hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Louis Walsh and all his talent competitions and boybands is what killed Irish music. There is hardly any difference between what Westlife and Mike Denver do. Woeful drivel made for the disposable reality TV era of 'music'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Tom Petty said it best, "New country music is just bad pop songs with a fiddle".
    We have the next gen of user friendly middle of the road tosh made up with mediocre talent and chancers trying country Irish because the pool is not as competitive as mainstream pop.

Tom Petty said it best, "New country music is just bad pop songs with a fiddle".
    We have the next gen of user friendly middle of the road tosh made up with mediocre talent and chancers trying country Irish because the pool is not as competitive as mainstream pop.

Exactly. There is an endless amount of bad, fake music promoted by Irish TV stations. It all sounds like a heap of bad Eurovision songs deemed so bad even to be included in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Exactly. There is an endless amount of bad, fake music promoted by Irish TV stations. It all sounds like a heap of bad Eurovision songs deemed so bad even to be included in that.

When I was a lot younger I'd be out around the country for work and all you could really get was Country Irish on the radio. I always thought RTE and some regional stations had a captive audience and could pretty much play what they liked. It's like how Hotpress magazine tells you who the new musical bright lights are because one of the jurnos or Editor knows the band or manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I love it, so there! :p

When I was a lot younger I'd be out around the country for work and all you could really get was Country Irish on the radio. I always thought RTE and some regional stations had a captive audience and could pretty much play what they liked. It's like how Hotpress magazine tells you who the new musical bright lights are because one of the jurnos or Editor knows the band or manager.

I don't mind the older Irish country stuff at all. It may not be the most exciting music but at least it sounded genuine. Today's drivel sung by blondie ex boyband rejects in a fake "American" accent is the worst music I ever heard along with their previous careers as boyband members and talent show singers. It is only a matter of time when we see Eoghan Quigg and the rest of these talent show and washed up Eurovision acts make a comeback via this scene too.

You can bet RTE and the rest play whatever they want to force on the people. Quigg, Mike Denver, Jim Devine, or Ronan Keating doing country? Westlife's country album comeback? Whatever RTE and their cronies want to push will get pushed no matter how awful it is.

The next awful thing will be modern Irish 'bluegrass' music. Checking out the type of self composed drivel some of the bands on this scene are writing, another once great music genre is being murdered. Bill Monroe is turning in his grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

I've tried to listen to Irish country music. But most artists force an American twang and it sounds terrible. If your not born with it why fake it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've tried to listen to Irish country music. But most artists force an American twang and it sounds terrible. If your not born with it why fake it?
    In fairness, faking accents isn't limited to Irish Country music. It's pretty much a feature of all music.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Finding any kind of live music that isn't C 'n' I is a near impossibility down the sticks. Maudlin pastiche of real country music.