Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Country Music

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's not a "culchie" thing. It's a midlands, border counties thing. I'm from West Cork and don't know anyone who likes this shyte.

Don't tar all us border folk with this same brush either :mad::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stop music-shaming :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

What.. country music or getting bummed in the joy?

I was talking about the country music, but I've never been in the joy so maybe you manage to block that out as well

the finest looking women in the country are flooking to Irish country gigs to jive. 
    99% of men wouldn't care what music is being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Country music and Irish country music can ask my bollocks.

Load of ****e,

Youre whistlin’ dixie son

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I actually thought this was a piss take when I first saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Newsflash - Ireland is over 70% urban now and us “townies” are in the majority and the rate of urbanisation is speeding up...:D
    You might think it's 70% urban (and I'd probably agree) but I'm sure a lot of Dubs wouldn't agree. I was watching the Irish First Dates programme last night where two lads went on a date, one from Dublin, the other from Drogheda. The Dub asked his date "Is Drogheda near Dundalk...or is it in Dundalk? Or Louth, is it? I don't know. And do ye have housing estates? Like, do you live in an actual house? I just assume that everyone from Kildare is a farmer."

When I was a teenager, I went to a gig in the SFX with a few friends and met a few girls from Dublin. When we said we were from Kildare, one of them asked if that was beside Waterford. Another corrected her friend. "No, it's beside Longford!". Neither me nor my friends were farmers and all lived in housing estates. (I realise that this is going off topic.)

On topic, I feel that my little brother has let me down. From listening to ska-punk and similar music, he now quite likes this type of musical drivel (but not exclusively). Having said that, I'm going to add the following video, just because it mentions places local to me.

Each to their own, though. I suppose it's harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,551 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I actually thought this was a piss take when I first saw it.

I'd say Ellen thought the same

It's all very pop music sounding now with the younger C&I stars but popular

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's safe music with sanitised lyrics. Easily digestible, suitable for the very young and the elderly. The musical equivalent of Complan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

They ain't no Waylon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭poo poo

It's not a "culchie" thing. It's a midlands, border counties thing. I'm from West Cork and don't know anyone who likes this shyte.

West cork has a great social dance scene - they just dont want you to know about it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

poo poo wrote: »
    West cork has a great social dance scene - they just dont want you to know about it

I appreciate that sort of kindness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Yeah I just find It a weird social phenomenon and very cringeworthy. I do like Sturgill Simpson though and other American country music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Strumms wrote: »
    I appreciate that sort of kindness

Reminds me of the classic:

What's a definition of a gentleman?

A man who can play the accordian but doesnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I'm more of a fan of Mastodon if im honest..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

What makes you happy OP and why do you enjoy it.
    It's basically the same for people who like country music. They probally say whats the appeal in what you like.

Odd thing is, I'd wager a huge proportion of Irish Country music fans have little to no knowledge of Merle Haggard, George Jones or Hank Williams. Yet they could tell you all about TR Dallas, Declan Nerney or the turgid Nathan Carter.

It's more about the social aspect of travelling the country & getting the new hip out on the floor for a dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I don't really know much Irish Country music tbh but i think country music is strongly associated with America so when other countries do it, it doesn't sound right or sounds like they're trying to be something they're not. Even America make a balls of it alot of the time but have produced some good stuff like Johnny Cash, Kris Kristopherson and others.

Anyway we have our own music but whatever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭scuba8

https://youtu.be/4ghEFz-d6Co

This is what Billy Connolly believes about Country Music.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yep it's deffo a midlands/border counties phenomenon - along with vile McMansions dotted along every boreen and the local TD turning up at every funeral - whether they are wanted there or not.

I'd also wager many if not most C&W lovers in aforementioned counties voted no to same sex marriage and the removal of the 8th Amendment.

...just a hunch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

I'd also wager many if not most C&W lovers in aforementioned counties voted no to same sex marriage and the removal of the 8th Amendment.

...just a hunch...

Serious question – I'm not being insincere, or trying to be humorous – have you literally been smoking crack cocaine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

• Registered Users Posts: 20,760 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yep it's deffo a midlands/border counties phenomenon - along with vile McMansions dotted along every boreen and the local TD turning up at every funeral - whether they are wanted there or not.

...just a hunch...

There are no boreens in the border counties. We have lanes.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Odd thing is, I'd wager a huge proportion of Irish Country music fans have little to no knowledge of Merle Haggard, George Jones or Hank Williams. Yet they could tell you all about TR Dallas, Declan Nerney or the turgid Nathan Carter.

It's more about the social aspect of travelling the country & getting the new hip out on the floor for a dance.

That is an odd thing indeed, but how on earth did you find it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

That is an odd thing indeed, but how on earth did you find it out?

An educated guess.

Maybe ask the oul' dears yourself, next time your out boppin' in downtown Castleblaney.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    An educated guess.

Maybe ask the oul' dears yourself, next time your out boppin' in downtown Castleblaney.

The people in 'Blayney hate it when people spell their town wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

A lot of it is made for jiving to. Jiving is good fun.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I’m missing something. Are we talking about a specific Irish/country fusion type of music, or just American Country played in Ireland?

I remember the Great Line Dancing Craze in Ireland in the early 1990s, and I guarantee you, it was not confined to the country. Folks in Dublin would be rocking their boots, belt buckles and not infrequently hats...

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2056066831

What I like about Country is it is a genre which in no way takes itself seriously. “My truck broke down, so I’m hitting the town on a donkey”. “My wife said if I go fishing one more time, she’ll leave me. I’m gonna miss her...”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I’m missing something. Are we talking about a specific Irish/country fusion type of music, or just American Country played in Ireland?

I remember the Great Line Dancing Craze in Ireland in the early 1990s, and I guarantee you, it was not confined to the country. Folks in Dublin would be rocking their boots, belt buckles and not infrequently hats...

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2056066831

What I like about Country is it is a genre which in no way takes itself seriously. “My truck broke down, so I’m hitting the town on a donkey”. “My wife said if I go fishing one more time, she’ll leave me. I’m gonna miss her...”

Just the cheeseball music played in rural pubs in between polka set dances. You know, one man on keyboard the other on the accordian.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Noveight wrote: »
    A lot of it is made for jiving to. Jiving is good fun.

Awful dance danced to equally awful music. Looks like the stirring of a big pot of soup.

The real jive was danced to swing jazz, not country n Irish muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,606 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

poo poo wrote: »
    Haha - the dubs will never understand - the youth are abandoning the club scene in there droves for nights of Jiving, whoring and the best craic you will have anywhere - townies - you dont get it - and we dont want you to get it - it's a culchie thing and when you arrive you fúck it up for everyone else - go drink your craft beers in stupid over the top pubs and box the heads off one another after the clubs. We are in the sheds of the country will 6 in the morning with 10 piece bands and 3000 people out to enjoy themselves - no sh1t, no hassle, no scumbags and the fittest men and women you will come across!!

Look at cowboys and heros - 16000 people camping for the weekend in a barn in the back arse of leitrim!!

Is it not possible to have craic though without the cringe-worthy crap music? Why does every other young person in the country listen to /dance to music that their parents hate, instead of music that their granny loves?

Seriously, why?

Advertisement