Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Country Music

Options
  • 07-09-2018 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭

Where's the big appeal in it? Am I missing something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Keeps the blue rinse brigade happy I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Slurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Work drying up OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Where's the big appeal in it? Am I missing something?

Irish country music is an abomination.

There is no reason or excuse for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What makes you happy OP and why do you enjoy it.
    It's basically the same for people who like country music. They probally say whats the appeal in what you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭poo poo

Haha - the dubs will never understand - the youth are abandoning the club scene in there droves for nights of Jiving, whoring and the best craic you will have anywhere - townies - you dont get it - and we dont want you to get it - it's a culchie thing and when you arrive you fúck it up for everyone else - go drink your craft beers in stupid over the top pubs and box the heads off one another after the clubs. We are in the sheds of the country will 6 in the morning with 10 piece bands and 3000 people out to enjoy themselves - no sh1t, no hassle, no scumbags and the fittest men and women you will come across!!

Look at cowboys and heros - 16000 people camping for the weekend in a barn in the back arse of leitrim!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Country would be the genre of music I like the least - followed closely by rap.

But each to their own - Nathan Carter’s show is really popular and country & Western is huge down in the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's bizarre stuff, but I guess it sounds tuneful next to the death notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Don't get it, spent 6 months doing work experience in a radio station that played predominantly Irish country music, and am still none the wiser as to the appeal in it.

Each to their own, if people enjoy it then that's fair enough, but not my cup of tea at all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

its weird as fûck phenomenon. Still...I’ll miss Big Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

poo poo wrote: »
    Haha - the dubs will never understand - the youth are abandoning the club scene in there droves for nights of Jiving, whoring and the best craic you will have anywhere - townies - you dont get it - and we dont want you to get it - it's a culchie thing and when you arrive you fúck it up for everyone else - go drink your craft beers in stupid over the top pubs and box the heads off one another after the clubs. We are in the sheds of the country will 6 in the morning with 10 piece bands and 3000 people out to enjoy themselves - no sh1t, no hassle, no scumbags and the fittest men and women you will come across!!

Look at cowboys and heros - 16000 people camping for the weekend in a barn in the back arse of leitrim!!

The fact that you refer to yourself as a culchie says it all. That's a word insecure Dublin folk use along with people from Kiltimagh.

I won't even comment on your taste of music. Live and let live I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    spent 6 months doing work experience in a radio station that played predominantly Irish country music,

Jesus I'd sooner do a stint in The Joy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Jiving will live on forever. There is no stopping it.

It's a country thing, we don't have to participate if we don't want to.

But having said that, I do find it odd myself. But live and let live I say.

However I always hear the music from Deliverance whenever I hear about Country Music. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    Jesus I'd sooner do a stint in The Joy

You manage to block it out after a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You can keep it, I like real music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

In all fairness there is a world of difference between "Country" and "Country and Irish":

Country has a ton of varying sub sections- Country Rock, Country Rap, Bluegrass, Honky Tonk, Bro Country.

Country and Irish is more or less the same across the board, as in the top stars tend to stick to the same or similar format, which is essentially traditional North American Country mixed with Oirish.

On the whole i don't particularly like the latter but there's some amazing stuff in the former, Darius Rooker of Hootie fame and Florida Georgia Line are particularly good from recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭poo poo

Originally Posted by Bunny Colvin View Post
    The fact that you refer to yourself as a culchie says it all. That's a word insecure Dublin folk use along with people from Kiltimagh.

I won't even comment on your taste of music. Live and let live I suppose.

I used it so "they" would understand - and im predominately a dance/house fan and dj a few clubs around the country. So you have no clue about my taste in music to be honest!

The craic in the country music scene is unrivalled however and would much prefer to spend my time in the company of these people!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I was reared on that sh1te. Fester and Ailin', Philomena Begley, Big Tom, Brendan Shine, all part of my 1970's childhood.

In my naive youth, I thought when one became an adult - one developed a love for that genre of music. Thought it just happened, ya know - like smoking, drinking and driving cars - proper adult stuff like. The inevitable love for sh1te music meant ye were an adult.

Alas, my love of heavy metal, punk and hard rock wasn't overtaken by a sudden obsession of Nathan Carter, although I know he has many fans - mostly young wans in their 20's. The bands I liked in my 20s took drugs and wrecked hotels, bit the heads off bats and were feckin sex deviants.

Nowadays the music "heroes" probably make tea for their Mammys and knit stuff. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭The Bollocks

Country music and Irish country music can ask my bollocks.

Load of ****e,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Newsflash - Ireland is over 70% urban now and us “townies” are in the majority and the rate of urbanisation is speeding up...:D

...enjoy yer ultra boring country music, but with YouTube, Spotify and the like, most Irish people today listen to a whole range of music and it probably isn’t Nathan Carter.

But each to their own...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    You manage to block it out after a while

What.. country music or getting bummed in the joy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

They've country.
    We've Aslan and Damo Dempsey.

It's a hard call...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I used it so "they" would understand - and im predominately a dance/house fan and dj a few clubs around the country. So you have no clue about my taste in music to be honest!

The craic in the country music scene is unrivalled however and would much prefer to spend my time in the company of these people!

Sounds great! A real life Shelbyville where you can f*ck your cousin and nobody will bat an eyelid about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I can't understand a young fella who can play guitar to a reasonable level saying "hey lads let's form a band to play Irish country music." It's mind boggling. I can understand it if they're just doing a gig for a few quid but are they not standing there mourning the loss of a little bit of their souls every time they play Wagon Wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

As a culchie, I want to point out that we're not all like this :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

It's not a "culchie" thing. It's a midlands, border counties thing. I'm from West Cork and don't know anyone who likes this shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

As a culchie, I want to point out that we're not all like this :pac:

Follow the money, how much did the promoters make on that and its a fairly certain bet that Nathen Carter is a multi-millionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The great thing about country songs is that they usually have a great story to tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The great thing about country songs is that they usually have a great story to tell.

That is the strangest thing I've heard in a while.

Advertisement