Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways you won and lost the genetic lottery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Aw here I adore my ginger hair, it's getting darker and less ginger the older I get I'm disgusted

An ex of mine once told me "gingers are always either totally ugly or absolutely stunning, no in between, so obviously you're a stunner"- I wasn't even ginger or naturally red, just dyed unnatural red, and I'm definitely not attractive... But I have noticed he may have been on to something with that, so many absolutely stunning ginger people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Losses : Born ginger.

Wins : There's not one win I can think of that would remotely overcome my losses!!

Oh my God I love gingers. My fella is a ginger and so is my eldest son. And I recently just went ginger too. Natural copper ginger not the weird orange colours.

Wins (according to others)
    - My personality
    - My bum
    - Freckles

Losses
    - My slanting shoulders (can't have bags or small straps on them. Everything slides off)
    - My height (5'2or3")
    - My round face
    - My head (can't wear hats. They just look stupid on me)
    - My eyes (wear glasses)
    - My big feet
    - My inability to shift weight easily.

... I think that's it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

neonsofa wrote: »
    An ex of mine once told me "gingers are always either totally ugly or absolutely stunning, no in between, so obviously you're a stunner"- I wasn't even ginger or naturally red, just dyed unnatural red, and I'm definitely not attractive... But I have noticed he may have been on to something with that, so many absolutely stunning ginger people.

To be perfectly straight with you squire, after a bizarre pronouncement like that I'm not in the least surprised he's an ex. That is one hell of a dog-with-mallet-rammed-up-hole statement. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

I just want to register my strong objection to you calling it "the genetic lottery".

Please don't use terms implying "superiority" like that. There is too much bullcrap surrounding genes to handle it so lightly, I wash my hands clean of this.

I like to stuff my face with sh1t-food with a high sugar content until I can't physically take in anymore because I feel so sick. Basically I only leave the junk when I am totally disgusted with myself....It's a new diet i'm on for the new year, trying to lose twenty pounds before February :-)

I like to stuff my face with sh1t-food with a high sugar content until I can't physically take in anymore because I feel so sick. Basically I only leave the junk when I am totally disgusted with myself....It's a new diet i'm on for the new year, trying to lose twenty pounds before February :-)

I do that too. Except I eschew the feeling sick part. It's called the John "Bull" Hayes Diet. Don't forget the gallon of porter and pulling the tractor up the hill be a rope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Why is wearing glasses such a minus. Ok being blind as bat might not be a plus but you can pick some seriously cool glasses or do as my friend did and transform from pretty blond with unremarkable grey eyes to be this stunning girl with piercing blue eyes.

We all have some minuses but:
    short legs - wear heels (women obviously, men are doomed)
    don't like your hair color - change it
    Hairy as bear - the whole industry thrives because of me
    Tendency to put on weight - less chance of high cholesterol if you have to constantly watch what you eat

A huge amount of minuses are easily managed or rectified. And half of the time being precious about them will be noticed more than actual minus.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Well they're grand child bearing hips n i like them! Gives a nice bitta shape in a dress etc! I like to think so anyways!

Lol sorry that's not really making sense. Basically my hair gets just past shoulder length n then just gets into really bad condition if i let it grow any longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

jimgoose wrote: »
    James Cameron originally cast Michael Biehn as the terminator machine, reasoning, quite correctly, that Skynet wouldn't have sent a machine presenting as a muscle-bound bumblefcuk with a weird accent on such a mission. This was overturned by Arnie, who argued that the robot character should be a symbol of POWAHH!! :D

Actually I believe it was Arnie who wanted to play the part of Kyle and Cameron had to convince him to play the Terminator.

meeeeh wrote:
    Why is wearing glasses such a minus. Ok being blind as bat might not be a plus but you can pick some seriously cool glasses or do as my friend did and transform from pretty blond with unremarkable grey eyes to be this stunning girl with piercing blue eyes.

meeeeh wrote:
    We all have some minuses but: short legs - wear heels (women obviously, men are doomed) don't like your hair color - change it Hairy as bear - the whole industry thrives because of me Tendency to put on weight - less chance of high cholesterol if you have to constantly watch what you eat

meeeeh wrote:
    A huge amount of minuses are easily managed or rectified. And half of the time being precious about them will be noticed more than actual minus.

Love this. I'm a shortie n people are always saying why are you wearing heels....?? But it's just my way of managing my height restriction!!
    Got to make the most of what you're given I say or change what you don't like...Within reason now!

• Advertisement

laylag wrote: »
    Lol sorry that's not really making sense. Basically my hair gets just past shoulder length n then just gets into really bad condition if i let it grow any longer!

Ugh this for me too. I get it cut and condition the **** out of it but once it gets to a certain length it goes dry and frayed and thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I'm not bad when I'm around the size 12/14 mark. I'm the only "big boned" one in my family. Actually my brother can put on weight easily too, but isn't lazy and lives in Sydney so is generally slim.

Cons: currently in muffin top form, which I'm hoping will go with dry January and all that entails. I'm also lazy and fairly awkward in heels and have generally bad balance. Which is fine as I don't wear heels that often as I'm 5'7 and my bf is 5'9.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

Good:
    Height: 7'1
    Weight: 400lbs of pure muscle
    Looks: gorgeous face, golden shining eyes + golden hair that shines from a mile away. (Women don't leave me alone for a second)
    Intelligence: IQ level over 200
    Penis size: 20 inches
    Wealth: trillionaire (first one on earth)
    Pleasing: I can pleasure myself with my mouth due to the size of my schlong.

Bad:
    Absolutely nothing, definition of perfection.

Actually I believe it was Arnie who wanted to play the part of Kyle and Cameron had to convince him to play the Terminator.

Quite correct, my bad. You get the idea, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Johnboner wrote: »
    Good:
    Height: 7'1
    Weight: 400lbs of pure muscle
    Looks: gorgeous face, golden shining eyes + golden hair that shines from a mile away. (Women don't leave me alone for a second)
    Intelligence: IQ level over 200
    Penis size: 20 inches
    Wealth: trillionaire (first one on earth)

Bad:
    Absolutely nothing, definition of perfection.

If you weren't so tall you could blow yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Im a tall guy, with ice blue eyes and a genuinely large package, according to women ive been with.

Thats all grand,but one side of my family have high foreheads and the other go bald early so ive never had a decent mop top. Ive got absolutely terrible skin, I mean im 41 and i get teenage levels of acne, requiring treatment FFS. Also i have to get most items of clothes i buy adjusted because for my size, i have a long back, short legs and tiny little stupid T-Rex arms!! (Well, about 2 ins shorter than average)

No point regretting what you cant change though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Lost
    Short - 5'7
    Trouble controlling weight
    Ginger (albeit I don't mind that so much)
    Few health issues so far -won't go into detail

Won
    Intelligent
    Great dancer (so is my father)
    Generally sound
    Good hair (my next older brother is balding
    Good skin
    Never had complaints about my "package"

Always end on the positives ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

If you weren't so tall you could blow yourself.

Thanks for reminding me, yes I can do it no problem, I do it almost every night. I will edit my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I've been told that too....and thankfully told I was the latter ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It's a bit sh*t isn't it?

Yup! Wish they'd either say "yes, this is it so here are the options" or "no, it's not that so we're gonna move onto something else" because it's a pain having to stretch my hands every morning before they work, or flicking someone beside you because you only wanted to open your hands a little bit but the trigger finger that comes with it means you have no control after a point...
    Every woman in my family has it, but oddly enough, all different types.

Not gonna lie, I cheated a bit because mine isn't genetic. Nobody in my family has it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Ah here, freckles and brown eyes don't count as losses!

Depends on your perspective! My dad has gorgeous coloring - black hair, olive skin, light green eyes. I got all of that except the green eyes. I just think it would have been nicer. If both my parents had brown eyes, it wouldn't be a loss because there wouldn't have been a chance.

Freckles is a matter of taste. I think some people look great with freckles! But mine aren't the tiny ones that pepper your nose. They're a bit bigger, a bit blotchier and they stand out more with my black hair. I think I'd probably look better without them, although in fairness some disagree.

HOWEVER - I don't go around obsessing about any of this. I'm 35 and I've got a lot more going for me than against me. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wins:

Longevity. None of the men in my family going back to the 1800's on any of the direct lines to me have pegged it before their mid 80's and a fair number hit the 90's, even the ton. Smokers/drinkers/lazy/fitness types/teetotallers/whatever, doesn't seem to have much of an impact. Not a sniff of cancer on the male lines either, thank christ. Or arthritis, or mental illness(beyond general oddness), or dementia, or diabetes. Heart disease is our thing, but let's face it, if your heart packs in at 92 you can hardly go back to claim warranty from the manufacturer. Now I could easily buck the trend, who knows, but going on previous I'm effin blessed that way. *clutches chest while tumour falls out of arse and laughs at me*

I have or as it sadly is now, had some ginger hair mixed in with my overall black hair. Looked pretty cool when I was young. It went grey first. I miss my ginge. :( I still have it on my arms and legs in the same proportions. Oddly no grey at all there. My dad had no grey on his arms either well into his 80's. His/my arm hair still looks teenage. :D I had one uncle whose head hair stayed black up to the time he kicked the bucket at 94. Tiny bit of grey over the ears. It looked weird TBH.

Cons:

TBH with the longevity wins I can hardly get pissed off. Though as far as bucking the trend goes… I'm the only short sighted bastid in the family. Most have/had 20/20 vision. That said I've the same glasses prescription for the last 35 years so…

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I've been told I'm stunning yeah :o I don't think I am though, I'm daycent enough to look at but not stunning by any means! My skin is too crap for that :pac:

My other genetic wins are that I don't put on weight, I'm 5'6 or 7 which I like, I've D cup boobs and no waist :D

Losses are the blemish prone skin and I'm as blind as a bat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Good:

I have a massive appetite for food, but never put much weight on
    I'm fairly nimble when I need to be, and I don't feel unfit, despite the combo of copious amounts of junk food and a total aversion to exercise
    Apart from the odd head cold, I very rarely get sick
    I don't get sunburn easily
    People tell me I look much younger than my 34¾ years
    I don't get angry or flustered easily
    I'm great at catching things that are thrown in my general direction (seriously, you could throw a newborn baby towards me without any warning, and I'd catch it. Probably)
    I'm white, male and heterosexual, so I've never experienced discrimination
    Grand head of hair
    Very good at 'reading' people. If someone's a bit down/bored/annoyed, I sense it straight away

Bad:

Anxiety/depression
    Shyness
    Insomnia
    Thyroid issue that we haven't quite got to the bottom of yet
    My Grand Head of Hair grows really fast and needs to be cut once a month to prevent it from going all "Liam Gallagher" on me

I'm around 5'7, but I can't bring myself to put not being particularly tall down as a bad thing because I've never felt insecure or hard-done-by

My other genetic wins are that I don't put on weight, I'm 5'6 or 7 which I like, I've D cup boobs and no waist :D

Losses are the blemish prone skin and I'm as blind as a bat

I've been wearing A/B bras for years and got measured the other day and I'm a D cup- so contrary to popular belief D cup does not always equate to big boobs :o apparently it's all to do with ratio and volume lol. I'm guessing in your case it does though so I'm happy for you! Along with the other wins like not putting on weight...actually I'm not happy for you I'm jealous! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Pros:

I'm good at besting people in arguments

Con:

I'm quite argumentative :D

Pro:
    Male
    Gay
    Western White

Con:
    Gay

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Anyone brave enough to post a picture!?!

Be gentle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 MrsChipster

Won
    Long legs
    Glossy hair
    Dark brown eyes
    Athletic

Lost
    I'm a horse

Advertisement