Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laura Whitmore - British Army

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I guarantee Laura put as much thought into her BA tweet as she did the John Hume one. Just bad timing on her behalf.

Shouldn't be doing backdoor recruitment for the BA anyway. Would she sign up? Would she f***.

'Girl power and all that ****e'

mel-b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Strange to waste time on irrelevant things, this girl appears to have a lack of understanding of how the British army are perceived. I am from Ireland and lived in the UK and some of the military jingoism was over the top. I pointed out that one of them who was bitching about his mate being killed in Iraq was in the wrong game if he wanted a long life, and said to him that if you are in the army you are trained to kill, and up against trained killers. The British are hypocritical when they are killed, but think nothing of knocking off a few natives. They have a fine record of fighting sticks and stones with tanks and guns, and like to be the ones doing the bullying. They celebrate world war 2 because its the only time they won a war as an underdog, but the British are well known as the bully boys of the world, and for an Irish person to associate with and promote them does show a lack of awareness, but to expect a dolly bird off the TV to know any better is probably giving her too much credit, as there may not be much between the ears in this case. She lives there and works there, and probably got a few quid for it, money overrides principle for a lot of people, also rich of her to talk about gender equality when she only got a TV job because she is a Dollybird. More important things in life for sure, but she is an influence on young kids, God help them.

she claims to be a journalist, (she does have a degree in journalism)
    “I’m a journalist I get paid to broadcast and interview that’s my job.
    https://goss.ie/featured/laura-whitmore-responds-to-backlash-after-being-accused-of-promoting-the-british-army-218743 even though she admitted it was an #ad which isn't journalism.

she claims to be a journalist, (she does have a degree in journalism) https://goss.ie/featured/laura-whitmore-responds-to-backlash-after-being-accused-of-promoting-the-british-army-218743 even though she admitted it was an #ad which isn't journalism.

Marty Whelan is a journalist so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think I saw a 'who do you think you are' programme on her and I'm fairly sure her dad is from Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

she claims to be a journalist, (she does have a degree in journalism) https://goss.ie/featured/laura-whitmore-responds-to-backlash-after-being-accused-of-promoting-the-british-army-218743 even though she admitted it was an #ad which isn't journalism.

At least she made the effort, but it's a handy enough qualification. Most journalists don't actually have degree's, so she is better qualified than most.

At least she made the effort, but it's a handy enough qualification. Most journalists don't actually have degree's, so she is better qualified than most.

Media, Communications and Journalism etc. got very popular. Lot of competition to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Yvan eht nioj

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

LEAVE LAURA ALONE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

She's just part of the recruitment drive. But she's a bigger fool for allowing herself to be used in such a fashion. There military recruitment in the UK is a well oiled machine.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/08/british-army-criticised-for-exam-results-day-recruitment-ads?__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Bowie wrote: »
    Obsessed Johnny. Somebody in Ireland(?) has issue with British Army shocker. She'll get great mileage out of this and has turned it around. Almost like it was planned *wink*
    I'm certainly no fan of the British Army's history but the issue with the tweet is hardly simply that the writer has an issue with the B.A. "Go kill yourself" - I mean really.

And I thought before I read the full story that she had said she wished she had been in the British army or something, the way people are going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I have no idea who LW is/was/will be . And frankly my dear after that shyte I don't give a damn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Edgware wrote: »
    She will be fine after a good crying session with Ryan Turniphead on the Late Late show

Most definitely. Her agent will have her out giving the usual tick the boxes

-Bullying
    -Death Threats
    -Mental Health
    -Misogyny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Bowie wrote: »

mel-b.jpg

Pretty sure this is considered racist now.

I'm certainly no fan of the British Army's history but the issue with the tweet is hardly simply that the writer has an issue with the B.A. "Go kill yourself" - I mean really.

And I thought before I read the full story that she had said she wished she had been in the British army or something, the way people are going on.

Some arsehole on twitter and Johnny uses it to turn the discussion to SF. Obsessed.
    She made an arse of herself shilling for the BA. Not the biggest deal. If she had a bigger gap between that and the John Hume one it might have slipped by unnoticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Certain people on here have an irrational hatred of anything British.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Yet they'll probably support an English football team or listen to British artist

Irrational, depends on the context. If you're being carpet bombed while sitting in school for instance.
    You mean the world wide web. It was a tweet. Pretty sure the Mods wouldn't allow such a post.
    Wont do her any harm, she'll get great mileage now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,045 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yvan eht nioj

But it doesn't mean anything. It's like "rama-lama-ding-dong" or "give peace a chance."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

She's gotten quite a lot of irrational hate on boards in recent years and I've wondered why but this British Army thing in almost the same breath as John Hume is just tone deaf. The 'empowering women' thing she used as a shield to deflect legitimate criticism is bollocks too.

The social media pile-ons are pretty cowardly though, she wasn't loading rifles for the Paratroopers on Bloody Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,498 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Laura Britmore!

LOL

• Advertisement

She's gotten quite a lot of irrational hate on boards in recent years and I've wondered why but this British Army thing in almost the same breath as John Hume is just tone deaf. The 'empowering women' thing she used as a shield to deflect legitimate criticism is bollocks too.

The social media pile-ons are pretty cowardly though, she wasn't loading rifles for the Paratroopers on Bloody Sunday.

Yes. I've seen her name pop up a few times. She did well for herself and fair play. The problem is she's a light entertainment presenter trying to hashtag hard news. She made a balls of it. I doubt she'd any idea anyone would get annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

She’s a bit of a sort, in fairness, as her fellow Brits would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

My gut reaction was ...hmm don't know who she is but now i don't like her. But whatever ..i think its the gut reaction of most irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Some say she rose again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Part of the Brit establishment now, one of the "good Paddies"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Genuinely never heard of her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Genuinely never heard of her

Well, now you have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Acosta

Herself and her fella came across as fairly unlikeable in Celeb Gogglebox.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

She gets a lot of hate in the UK press and Irish people don't seem to take to her either. It's probably more about the culture of celebrity and the inane, fickle programmes she's been associated with more than anything else. I'm a Celebrity, Love Island etc.

This BA thing is particularly tone deaf, I guess it just exposes the hashtag ad and hashtag spon culture of celebrity where they'll do anything for a quick buck and exercise no real critical thinking on what they're actually advocating and supporting at all. The glibness of a chirpy woke #girlpower podcast sponsored by one of the most destructive armed forces in the world, a day after a "thoughts and prayers" tweet for a man that devoted his life to facing down that same army...and then not acknowledging the tone-deafness, because it clearly wasn't intentional, but defending it because "feminism is important" is just essentially doubling down on the level of crassness and insult of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ToTheSea

Sorry for the long post, but I feel pretty strongly about this !!

Very tone-deaf on Laura's part and even worst when challenged on it, she goes back to the listen to the podcast, an important conversation to have, people, will understand when they listen etc.

Well, I listened to the podcast and while yes it is an important conversation that is worthy of having. However, that does not take away from the fact she is an Irish person (and probably one of better known Irish heads in the British media thanks to Love Island/I'm a Celeb) being involved with what is essentially a recruitment campaign to get young women into the army. Her involvement meant she was promoting the BA on social media, using #ArmyJobs and #ArmyConfidence, both of which the army have used in their own PR stuff. The podcast is promoted on the Army Jobs Facebook page, with a link to the Army website where the podcast is available and it is also available on Spotify, complete with army branding :eek::eek:

Seriously how did she think her involvement in that would go down with her fellow Irish?
    Like it would go down like a lead balloon at the best of times, let alone the week that John Hume has passed, a man that was a victim of the same army she's now promoting and their violence.

I found some interesting points were raised in this Twitter thread

I would be in agreement with the thread, while I grew up in the Republic, I have a family in the North and I was a baby when a family member was killed thanks to British bullets.

The abuse she is getting is completely uncalled for and bang out of order.
    She is also getting some legitimate criticism. She heard the topic of the podcast and went Oh yeah that sounds good. Obviously the British Army connection was an oversight on Laura's part. However, she needs to accept that this hasn't gone down well, rather than hiding behind this "feminism is important" stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Limeys pay well it seems, she is minted.

She is a while on twitter though so must have realised by now its a cesspit of hate and getting trolled is part of the deal if she doesn't want to switch her account to private.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

She will love the attention from it. Wasn't she crying crocodile tears for the presenter whole commited suicide, even though she took her job before it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Limpy wrote: »
    She will love the attention from it. Wasn't she crying crocodile tears for the presenter whole commited suicide, even though she took her job before it.

Sadly some see nothing wrong with being ruthless when it comes to getting what they want. People like her are ten a penny, trading on their looks, with someone younger and better looking always nipping at their heels. Courting fame comes at a huge cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

gmisk wrote: »
    I was wondering why she was trending on twitter....
    Story below...what an eejit...she posted it just after before a message about John Humes passing....

https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/05/laura-whitmore-denies-recruiting-british-army-backlash-podcast-promo-13087116/

Here's a quote out of that from some óinseach I never heard of and a reply by another one:

"And after author Roisin Kelly responded: ‘If only more women soldiers had been sent into Northern Ireland!!’, the Love Island host tweeted: ‘Every industry and body is bettered by equality and a balance of all sexes x"

If only less women prime ministers had anything to do with Northern Ireland! Some gligeens can't talk about the price of sheep in Listowel now without bringing gender into it.

feargale wrote: »
    Here's a quote out of that from some óinseach I never heard of and a reply by another one:

"And after author Roisin Kelly responded: ‘If only more women soldiers had been sent into Northern Ireland!!’, the Love Island host tweeted: ‘Every industry and body is bettered by equality and a balance of all sexes x"

If only less women prime ministers had anything to do with Northern Ireland! Some gligeens can't talk about the price of sheep in Listowel now without bringing gender into it.

Like Mother Earth Thatcher was. Peace and love befell everyone who was fortunate enough to be in her presence ;)
    These yahoos should quit hashtagging on things they've vague memories of skimming over in school.

Some of the responses were great. Just had a read. What a buffoon your wan Kelly is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,223 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

osarusan wrote: »
    Never heard of either of them, happily.

You never heard of either John Hume or the British Army? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I'd still ride her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I'd still ride her.

But try not to enjoy it too much

It always comes back to the hanging muscle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,862 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Most definitely. Her agent will have her out giving the usual tick the boxes

-Bullying
    -Death Threats
    -Mental Health
    -Misogyny

Yes, but aren't these worthy of debate, or do you want to accept to live in a world, where someone you disagree with is told to go 'Kill Themselves' on Twitter?

The woman has free agency and answers to no one, especially not mealy-mouthed shinner types. There is a lot of misogyny displayed right on this very thread by the usual SF supporters crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You don’t have to be a shinner (I’m most certainly not) to have a problem with what she did and said.

You can also disagree with what she said and have a problem with people telling her to go and kill herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭chicken foot

I found her little Camo top to be just that extra bit of "wtf". Tone deaf, insensitive and as N.I born - who grew up in the throes of the troubles - I often wonder what the female BA recruits would have threatened to "****" me with as they drove past 12 yr old me.

A lot of ignorance and southern disregard in this post. The ignorance of youth I'll ignore, as in, anyone aged 25/30 and under but if you were a child of the 80's and still defending what she did, well, I'd suggest clicking on that little recruitment hashtag she's claiming not to be promoting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

If Whitmore was a man far fewer people would be falling over themselves to call her a "media whore" "dollybird" or going out of their way to proclaim as loudly as they can that they don't care about her. There is a bias against women in the media expressing themselves, doubly so for women who are considered conventionally attractive who should be seen and not heard.

If Whitmore was a man far fewer people would be falling over themselves to call her a "media whore" "dollybird" or going out of their way to proclaim as loudly as they can that they don't care about her. There is a bias against women in the media expressing themselves, doubly so for women who are considered conventionally attractive who should be seen and not heard.

Yeah that’s it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭quokula

I'm not sure that all the attacks and violent language against an Irish woman for not holding a big enough grudge against the Brits a couple of decades after the troubles is exactly what John Hume would have wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

She's living and working in the UK, so I don't see the major deal about this, but as an Irish person, she probably should have steered clear of this one. A dog with a mallet in his arse could have seen the controversy over this one.
    Also her, possibly UK PR, agents etc, could have scheduled posts, and as a lot of UK folk tend to, have not one clue of why the British army would have been controversial in Ireland...

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »
    I'm not sure that all the attacks and violent language against an Irish woman for not holding a big enough grudge against the Brits a couple of decades after the troubles is exactly what John Hume would have wanted.

Yeah I’m pretty sure he’d have wanted an Irish person promoting a recruitment drive for the British Army after all the good work they’ve done on this island over the years. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Yeah I’m pretty sure he’d have wanted an Irish person promoting a recruitment drive for the British Army after all the good work they’ve done on this island over the years. :rolleyes:

And on a global scale

markodaly wrote: »
    Yes, but aren't these worthy of debate, or do you want to accept to live in a world, where someone you disagree with is told to go 'Kill Themselves' on Twitter?

The woman has free agency and answers to no one, especially not mealy-mouthed shinner types. There is a lot of misogyny displayed right on this very thread by the usual SF supporters crew.

You are a hypocrite on this.
    Rightly she is a free agent can say what she likes. However anyone with a problem is not free to have issue? Anyone being hateful must be a shinner? She must be s FG or Nationsl Party member for recruiting for the BA? Cop on. Also if you can list the SF crew who made misogynist remarks please do. I dont see any of those who rightly with reason criticise FG and therefore must be SF making any such remarks. Talking ****e trying to score points Marko. Is there nobody you people won't twist and use?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ToTheSea

I found her little Camo top to be just that extra bit of "wtf". Tone deaf, insensitive and as N.I born - who grew up in the throes of the troubles - I often wonder what the female BA recruits would have threatened to "****" me with as they drove past 12 yr old me.

A lot of ignorance and southern disregard in this post. The ignorance of youth I'll ignore, as in, anyone aged 25/30 and under but if you were a child of the 80's and still defending what she did, well, I'd suggest clicking on that little recruitment hashtag she's claiming not to be promoting.

Yes I found the camo top totally "WTF". like the hashtags are bad enough. But the top just made the whole thing worse IMHO.

I live in the south but have family in the North and lost family to the British military, as I mentioned in my last post. I grew up going through the checkpoints, and encountering the British army (who I remember as not being very pleasant) pretty much every weekend, every school holiday when I went to visit family. So while I didn't grow up in living the troubles daily I feel like I do have a decent understanding.

I completely agree with the bit in Bold and the ignorance of people my age in the South always baffled me.
    I remember one time I went up North with a friend and when we crossed the border, no joke he asked "so are we technically in England now? :o like WTF?

Although the ignorance isn't only displayed by people my age:
    I had a friend tell me about the time she and her family were booked to go to Scotland on holiday when she was a kid (late 90's). They had to travel up to Larne to get the ferry. She couldn't understand why the police pulled them over, turned them back and escorted them back to the border... They were travelling on July 12th :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The level of ignorance I have seen first hand towards the North from people in the south is just baffling.
    For people in the south who had no connection to the North, it's like it's it some far away land and not 90 minutes up the M1 from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

markodaly wrote: »

on the day that John Hume died which she sent a rip tweet and then does a podcast promoting the British Army and she doesn't see the irony. Obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed or too busy licking up to the brits

• Advertisement
Advertisement