Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laura Whitmore - British Army

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Love how she tried to hide behind her "im all about female empowerment" schtick.

It used to be patriotism that was the last refuge of the scoundrel. Now its whatever buzz social justice issue is "hot right now".

Kudos to the OP, has to be one of the most random thread titles, its asking to be clicked in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

She should have stayed in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Love how she tried to hide behind her "im all about female empowerment" schtick.

It used to be patriotism that was the last refuge of the scoundrel. Now its whatever buzz social justice issue is "hot right now".

Kudos to the OP, has to be one of the most random thread titles, its asking to be clicked in fairness.

She'll be accepting an OBE next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm not sure if I'm meant to be outraged or empowered or oppressed or liberated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I see the poor girl has had her first encounter with the blind hatred from the Shinnerbot army.

https://twitter.com/thewhitmore/status/1291055326138163202?s=21

An inability to use you’re instead of your seems to be common with the majority of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I love when lefties eat their own. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

She lives in the UK and pays taxes to fund the British army.

She made her choices a long time ago.

Don't see the big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Will she be cancelled by the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

She is 35.

In the ageist world of female TV presenter her time was coming to an end anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Can she bring In Love With Myself Island with her?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I see the poor girl has had her first encounter with the blind hatred from the Shinnerbot army.

An inability to use you’re instead of your seems to be common with the majority of them.

Obsessed Johnny. Somebody in Ireland(?) has issue with British Army shocker. She'll get great mileage out of this and has turned it around. Almost like it was planned *wink*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Laura Whitmore.

Two words that mean absolutely nothing to me. One of the least important things to ever come out of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Laura Whitmore.

Two words that mean absolutely nothing to me. One of the least important things to ever come out of Ireland.
    She matters to you not a whit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

she'll use impolite (to say the least) attacks to justify her decision to be involved in recruiting for the British Army while pretending she wasn't involved in recruiting for the British Army

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

She matters to you not a whit :pac:

No more, no less?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Strange to waste time on irrelevant things, this girl appears to have a lack of understanding of how the British army are perceived. I am from Ireland and lived in the UK and some of the military jingoism was over the top. I pointed out that one of them who was bitching about his mate being killed in Iraq was in the wrong game if he wanted a long life, and said to him that if you are in the army you are trained to kill, and up against trained killers. The British are hypocritical when they are killed, but think nothing of knocking off a few natives. They have a fine record of fighting sticks and stones with tanks and guns, and like to be the ones doing the bullying. They celebrate world war 2 because its the only time they won a war as an underdog, but the British are well known as the bully boys of the world, and for an Irish person to associate with and promote them does show a lack of awareness, but to expect a dolly bird off the TV to know any better is probably giving her too much credit, as there may not be much between the ears in this case. She lives there and works there, and probably got a few quid for it, money overrides principle for a lot of people, also rich of her to talk about gender equality when she only got a TV job because she is a Dollybird. More important things in life for sure, but she is an influence on young kids, God help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,464 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Strange to waste time on irrelevant things, this girl appears to have a lack of understanding of how the British army are perceived. I am from Ireland and lived in the UK and some of the military jingoism was over the top. I pointed out that one of them who was bitching about his mate being killed in Iraq was in the wrong game if he wanted a long life, and said to him that if you are in the army you are trained to kill, and up against trained killers. The British are hypocritical when they are killed, but think nothing of knocking off a few natives. They have a fine record of fighting sticks and stones with tanks and guns, and like to be the ones doing the bullying. They celebrate world war 2 because its the only time they won a war as an underdog, but the British are well known as the bully boys of the world, and for an Irish person to associate with and promote them does show a lack of awareness, but to expect a dolly bird off the TV to know any better is probably giving her too much credit, as there may not be much between the ears in this case. She lives there and works there, and probably got a few quid for it, money overrides principle for a lot of people, also rich of her to talk about gender equality when she only got a TV job because she is a Dollybird. More important things in life for sure, but she is an influence on young kids, God help them.

I was living in London when Lee Rigby was killed and the English were shocked and appalled. I had to keep reminding them that the country is at war and British soldiers are flying to countries to kill the native soldiers so cant cry now when it happens the other way round

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

She will be fine after a good crying session with Ryan Turniphead on the Late Late show

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I was living in London when Lee Rigby was killed and the English were shocked and appalled. I had to keep reminding them that the country is at war and British soldiers are flying to countries to kill the native soldiers so cant cry now when it happens the other way round

That is pretty much the nail on the head, they are getting as bad as the USA for glorifying war. That was a shocking killing, but was just an example of the boot being on the other foot. I object to vast amounts being spent on war, and military forces, when there are children starving, and people on the poverty line, I couldn't justify it under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

No one should be promoting the British Army. The poor British folk that sign up for the Army to secure a trade or cheap education don't really have a clue what's in store for them. Using a celeb/influencer to add gloss to one of the darkest institutions in history is disgusting.

• Advertisement

I guarantee Laura put as much thought into her BA tweet as she did the John Hume one. Just bad timing on her behalf.

Shouldn't be doing backdoor recruitment for the BA anyway. Would she sign up? Would she f***.

'Girl power and all that ****e'

mel-b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

she claims to be a journalist, (she does have a degree in journalism)
    “I’m a journalist I get paid to broadcast and interview that’s my job.
    https://goss.ie/featured/laura-whitmore-responds-to-backlash-after-being-accused-of-promoting-the-british-army-218743 even though she admitted it was an #ad which isn't journalism.

she claims to be a journalist, (she does have a degree in journalism) https://goss.ie/featured/laura-whitmore-responds-to-backlash-after-being-accused-of-promoting-the-british-army-218743 even though she admitted it was an #ad which isn't journalism.

Marty Whelan is a journalist so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think I saw a 'who do you think you are' programme on her and I'm fairly sure her dad is from Northern Ireland.

she claims to be a journalist, (she does have a degree in journalism) https://goss.ie/featured/laura-whitmore-responds-to-backlash-after-being-accused-of-promoting-the-british-army-218743 even though she admitted it was an #ad which isn't journalism.

At least she made the effort, but it's a handy enough qualification. Most journalists don't actually have degree's, so she is better qualified than most.

At least she made the effort, but it's a handy enough qualification. Most journalists don't actually have degree's, so she is better qualified than most.

Media, Communications and Journalism etc. got very popular. Lot of competition to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Yvan eht nioj

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

LEAVE LAURA ALONE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

She's just part of the recruitment drive. But she's a bigger fool for allowing herself to be used in such a fashion. There military recruitment in the UK is a well oiled machine.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/08/british-army-criticised-for-exam-results-day-recruitment-ads?__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Bowie wrote: »
    Obsessed Johnny. Somebody in Ireland(?) has issue with British Army shocker. She'll get great mileage out of this and has turned it around. Almost like it was planned *wink*
    I'm certainly no fan of the British Army's history but the issue with the tweet is hardly simply that the writer has an issue with the B.A. "Go kill yourself" - I mean really.

And I thought before I read the full story that she had said she wished she had been in the British army or something, the way people are going on.

Advertisement